Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Sim VR and Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wasabi
In SR3 it said real clearly that in VR that any magic on the decker did not affect their avatar. Is that same statement in SR4A?

By RAW in SR4A if an increase attribute spell is on a Hot-Sim'ming TM is their living persona increased?
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jun 20 2010, 02:28 PM) *
In SR3 it said real clearly that in VR that any magic on the decker did not affect their avatar. Is that same statement in SR4A?

It is still true that magic spells don't affect hacking.

QUOTE (Wasabi @ Jun 20 2010, 02:28 PM) *
By RAW in SR4A if an increase attribute spell is on a Hot-Sim'ming TM is their living persona increased?

Yes, though it's not going to make them that much better aside from increase intuition (assuming their intuition is lower than their resonance).
Wasabi
QUOTE (Deadmannumberone @ Jun 20 2010, 04:42 PM) *
It is still true that magic spells don't affect hacking.

Source?
HugeC
Well, there's the rule where all Matrix actions are Skill + Program. I don't see how Increase Attribute is going to help you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HugeC @ Jun 20 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Well, there's the rule where all Matrix actions are Skill + Program. I don't see how Increase Attribute is going to help you.

Maybe not Increase Atribute, but you could always have the Adept's ability of Improved Ability (which adds ranks to the Skill), assuming that you were either an Adept or Mystic Adept...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith
Abstruse
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 20 2010, 08:13 PM) *
Maybe not Increase Atribute, but you could always have the Adept's ability of Improved Ability (which adds ranks to the Skill), assuming that you were either an Adept or Mystic Adept...

Just Sayin'

Keep the Faith

Magic has no affect on the Matrix. This is in both Unwired and Street Magic.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 20 2010, 07:26 PM) *

It is not affecting the Matrix, It is affecting the Individual, who is accessing the matrix... his improved skill will still apply...

Keep the Faith
Udoshi
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 20 2010, 07:26 PM) *

Man, everyone -says- that. Got a page number for me? Cause I'd really like to know. I know its a previous-edition thing, which I know very little about, but 4th is not 3rd, and a for-sure one way or the other for the current edition would be great.
Yerameyahu
I don't understand why there'd need to be a rule. It seems obvious that the Matrix doesn't exist as a place for magic to affect, and also that any relevant magical effects on the user (improved skill, reaction for AR access, etc.) would simply work as normal.
Abstruse
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jun 20 2010, 08:38 PM) *
Man, everyone -says- that. Got a page number for me? Cause I'd really like to know. I know its a previous-edition thing, which I know very little about, but 4th is not 3rd, and a for-sure one way or the other for the current edition would be great.

Street Magic, p23:

Regardless of magical tradition or training, no magical abilities work directly on augmented reality (AR) or virtual reality (VR) object...Adept powers don't work directly against virtual reality objects either (though it should be noted that powers such as Improved Ability that affect the adept himself, rather than things external to the adept, are still effective).

There's more to it there, but I'm lazy and don't feel like typing further.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 20 2010, 08:11 PM) *
Street Magic, p23:

Regardless of magical tradition or training, no magical abilities work directly on augmented reality (AR) or virtual reality (VR) object...Adept powers don't work directly against virtual reality objects either (though it should be noted that powers such as Improved Ability that affect the adept himself, rather than things external to the adept, are still effective).

There's more to it there, but I'm lazy and don't feel like typing further.

Did you happen to actually read the quote though? As specified in the quote above, an Adept's Improved Ability still functions, even if you are in the matrix, because it is NOT acting directly upon the AMtrix, it is acting upon the character... so his improvement to his Hacking Skills carries over just fine...

Just wanted to point that out...

Keep the Faith
Abstruse
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 20 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Did you happen to actually read the quote though? As specified in the quote above, an Adept's Improved Ability still functions, even if you are in the matrix, because it is NOT acting directly upon the AMtrix, it is acting upon the character... so his improvement to his Hacking Skills carries over just fine...

Just wanted to point that out...

Keep the Faith

I typed it, not copy and paste nyahnyah.gif
Wasabi
For those asking why stats matter... its because I primarily play TM's and for a TM a stat makes a big difference sometimes.

@Abstruse: Thanks for finding that, you're awesome, sir!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Jun 20 2010, 10:09 PM) *
I typed it, not copy and paste nyahnyah.gif

No Problems...

Keep the Faith
Dumori
Getting your stats boosted would still effect your matix stats as a TM. But you can't power-ball that AI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012