Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increasing Sensor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Reg06
For riggers who want to use drones for combat, is there any way to get better than stock? The attack is Gunnery+Sensor, which is alright, but I've yet to find a way to increase the Sensor rating on a vehicle- I can find the larger Sensor vehicle mod, but nothing that increases the Sensor stat.
Is there any way to increase Sensor, or is the rigger stuck with the piddly 2 Sensor?
Yerameyahu
Sensor is just the average Rating of the sensors installed in the vehicle's sensor capacity space. Vehicle sizes correspond to a capacity, and sensors have listed capacity costs. The Improved Sensor mod increases the vehicle's capacity (by 1 step, I think?).

So, you install upgrades sensors in the vehicle's capacity, just like in goggles or a handheld sensor unit.
svenftw
The sensor rating is the average of all the rated sensors in the package, so to increase that you just install better sensors piecemeal.

I don't have a page reference for Arsenal, but there is a chapter all about sensors where it explains it in more detail, but basically you just buy a handful of rating 6 cameras, a radar, etc.
svenftw
I knew that was going to happen, Yer. I did the same thing to somebody else earlier this morning... heh
Veggiesama
Check Arsenal then forget everything you read, because it is changed in Arsenal's errata, which you can find on shadowrun4.com.

Then please forget those lame, overcomplicated rules and use something simpler, like Rating x 500 nuyen. Nearly the same result with much less work.
Yerameyahu
And don't be cheesy about it. smile.gif It's much more useful and RPG-y to have a nice, intentional set of various sensors.

Ugh! No way. I hate the boring, generic 'Sensor' rating.
svenftw
QUOTE (Veggiesama @ Jun 21 2010, 09:23 AM) *
Check Arsenal then forget everything you read, because it is changed in Arsenal's errata, which you can find on shadowrun4.com.

Then please forget those lame, overcomplicated rules and use something simpler, like Rating x 500 nuyen. Nearly the same result with much less work.

If the sensor upgrade rules are too complicated, I don't think Shadowrun is your game... heh
Reg06
Awesome. Thanks for the replies.
Neraph
QUOTE (svenftw @ Jun 21 2010, 02:13 PM) *
If the sensor upgrade rules are too complicated, I don't think Shadowrun is your game... heh

Sensor upgrade rules are a cakewalk in peace-easy townville compared to Matrix rules.
Yerameyahu
In Townsville, once again the day is saved, thanks to…
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jun 22 2010, 10:58 AM) *
Sensor upgrade rules are a cakewalk in peace-easy townville compared to Matrix rules.

the issue with the matrix rules seems to be more vagueness then complexity.
LurkerOutThere
True 'day

If the normal rules are a nice paved sidewalk the matix rules are a stinking mudpit that somehow manages to support a few odd species of carnivorous fish. The sensor rules are like a car designed by Rube Goldberg sitting next to the ones designed by BMW that is the rest of the electronics and device rules by comparison.
Veggiesama
The sensor rules are complicated in comparison to regular device rules. Complexity is good if it leads to interesting results. But I have yet to run into a situation where a rigger needs to check his atmospheric sensor or his motion sensor in such a way that his regular Sensor rating wouldn't adequately stand in for.
Yerameyahu
I guess YMMV, but there's a big difference in my game between radar, ultrasound, UWB radar, thermo, etc. Different sensors for different uses. Otherwise, your cybereyes/goggles/cameras should just have a single 'Rating' that covers everything. nyahnyah.gif Yuck.
hobgoblin
the single rating exist so that a drone (or any vehicle) can have its stats on a single line in the book.

Heck, a drone (or a pilot equipped vehicle) is the most complex rules related object in the game, as it incorporates the sensor rules, vehicle rules and matrix rules into a single entity without being a player character (where the complexity is up front thanks to the creation rules).
Yerameyahu
I know, it's a shorthand average; that's *all* it is. I'm saying that's no reason to toss out all the detail. Detail's the whole point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012