Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eclipse Phase RPG: Scouting for interest!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
kxU
obligatory introductory mumbo jumbo: for those who still haven't heard, eclipse phase is a brand spanking new roleplaying game developed by some of the finest people who used to operate the shadowrun line. :love: from what i can surmise so far, it's some parts terminator, some parts cyberpunk, some parts dollhouse, and all parts wicked sick. the coolest thing about it is that it's licensed as creative commons, so you can download the complete pdf of the corebook for free. :) links for interested parties: home page, pdf download link, dumpshock discussion thread.

now, for those who have heard, are any of you guys interested in playing an eclipse phase pbp game here on dumpshock? i know that this nook is usually reserved for shadowrun games, but there have been some deviations from tradition in the past when people occasionally ran the odd earthdawn or serenity game here, so i figured it'll be okay. take note that this is just me casting a line out there to see if there's any interest - if interest is sufficient, i'll devour the rulebook, then start to work on creating a campaign. if you wanna play, or you think you might wanna play, sound off in this thread, and we'll see if we can't get enough heads together for a game. :)

takers?
Abschalten
Sign me the hell up!!!

Edit: Erm, I mean I have a handful of characters already made I'd like to possibly play. smile.gif
BlackHat
Very very interested.

Edit: To be more specific, I dove into the rulebook a while back, and have been looking for a EP PBP for a while. I'm not that familiar with the usual game-agnostic PBP sites (my PBP experience has been almost exclusively here at Dumpshock playing Shadowrun) and I can't get my real life group to consider playing anything other than D&D. I would be very interested in getting the chance to try out this awesome new setting, here at dumpshock.
Combat Mage
Yes please. I've heard about this before and I'd really like to try it out. I already looked into the rule book briefly and it looks really awesome.

Edit: As I'm reading more of the setting I'm getting more and more excited about this. I'd love if a game got going.
It seems there's a lot of interest seeing that you have 5 people already after not even 2 hours. smile.gif
Abschalten
So is it too early to start submitting characters? smile.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 22 2010, 04:11 AM) *
Very very interested.

Me too!
Ellipsis
Yes, uh please? I've scanned through the book after it first showed up on my radar and I would love to give it a shot! I'm not really familiar with the core yet, but I'm pretty sure I can work it out pretty fast if I get a chance to use it...
kxU
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 21 2010, 11:12 PM) *
So is it too early to start submitting characters? smile.gif

hah, love the enthusiasm, but yeah, it's a bit too early to start submitting characters at this juncture. smile.gif it does look like there's a large helping of interest in the game though, so give me a few days to suss out what kind of game im going to run, then i'll post up a recruitment thread with more details.

stay tuned! spin.gif
Martin_DeVries_Institute
I am also very much interested. The time it takes for you to figure out the game you want to run will give me time to finish reading the book and figure out what I want to play. smile.gif
Aria
I'm interested too. It'd take me a while to look at the rules (although I've got the pdf) but the setting sounds great!

A
crizh
Damn tootin'!

I'd love the opportunity to participate in an EP game. It's totally my favourite RPG concept ever.
BlackHat
QUOTE (kxU @ Jun 22 2010, 01:41 AM) *
hah, love the enthusiasm, but yeah, it's a bit too early to start submitting characters at this juncture. smile.gif it does look like there's a large helping of interest in the game though, so give me a few days to suss out what kind of game im going to run, then i'll post up a recruitment thread with more details.

stay tuned! spin.gif

Excited! twirl.gif
Combat Mage
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 22 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Excited! twirl.gif

Tell me about it. grinbig.gif
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (kxU @ Jun 21 2010, 10:06 PM) *
the coolest thing about it is that it's licensed as creative commons, so you can download the complete pdf of the corebook for free. smile.gif links for interested parties: home page, pdf download link (credits to Thanee), dumpshock discussion thread.

Wait. It's CC? really? man, I paid $15 at RPG Drive thru to download the PDF when it first came out. Damn.

I'd certainly be interested, though it seems you already have quite a few people wanting to play. I am somewhat unfamiliar with the rules as I never got around to actually playing, but I'm sure I can remedy that situation fairly easy.
nezumi
Your $15 is encouraging them to make the next book. Don't worry, even though I have the book for free, I'll be buying it as well soon.

And yes, I'm interested in playing as well.
Abschalten
I bought the hardcopy version of the book at a gaming convention, and I consider the money to be well spent. It's a beautiful, well laid-out book. The folks at Posthuman ought to be proud of themselves.

And aww man, I was hoping *this* was the recruitment thread. I just know I'll miss the next one and get squeezed out, unless you can save me a spot. wink.gif
Combat Mage
Yeah I was hoping that too. We'll have to be vigilant. wink.gif
da Loof
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Jun 22 2010, 10:48 AM) *
I bought the hardcopy version of the book at a gaming convention, and I consider the money to be well spent. It's a beautiful, well laid-out book. The folks at Posthuman ought to be proud of themselves.

And aww man, I was hoping *this* was the recruitment thread. I just know I'll miss the next one and get squeezed out, unless you can save me a spot. wink.gif

This.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (da Loof @ Jun 22 2010, 12:01 PM) *
This.

Is.
horvagab
I'm sorta interested as well, though I can't really say for certain. Will probably depend on my free time and such, but a cautious interest can be counted upon.
kxU
to all those unfamiliar with the rules, there's no rush, i imagine this will be a learning experience for all of us. smile.gif

and no worries about missing the recruitment thread, i'll leave it open for at least a week or two, minimum.
kxU
edit: holy double post batman!
BlackHat
QUOTE (kxU @ Jun 22 2010, 01:39 PM) *
and no worries about missing the recruitment thread, i'll leave it open for at least a week or two, minimum.

With the amount of attention this thread generated overnight, I don't envy your task of pruning a week's worth of submissions down to one game. smile.gif
(I don't sympathize enough to lighten your workload, though - expect one from me)
crizh
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 22 2010, 07:44 PM) *
expect one from me)

Just one?
BlackHat
We'll see how it goes. biggrin.gif
crizh
I've already finished one. Not sure I'm going to be able to stop there...
Ol' Scratch
To add to the growing list of would-bes, I'll probably try and submit something myself. I'm not a fan of the rules system, but the setting and concepts are amazing.
BlackHat
I'll probably wait until we hear back about what kind of a game it will be, and what sorts of characters kxU is looking for before putting any more together - but I do have a few EP character builds on the backburner from when I was initially learning the system, so I think I could easily come up with a few if I wanted to. I think kxU will have plenty of characters tossed at him, though, so I'm thinking I'll focus on one good one that I like best, or that fits best, instead.
horvagab
It will depend on the adventure, and whether or not I'l play, but how does an Octomorph gentleman thief sound? biggrin.gif
Combat Mage
I think it's a bit too early for character concepts. Although I can brealy restrain myself from posting characters too. wink.gif
horvagab
Just an idea, nothing set, but the idea seems to be in the category of "ridiculous and awesome" biggrin.gif
kxU
man, i hadn't realized how far into hard sci fi territory eclipse phase is, and am duly impressed with the level of technical detail in the book. i really need to brush up on my sciences. spin.gif

the campaign is coming together, but much slower than i had originally anticipated. that's one of the reasons i didn't ask for characters, since i don't yet have an eta on the game. to steal blizzard's party line when it comes to game releases, it'll be done when it's done cyber.gif
Abschalten
That's cool. We're eagerly waiting and anticipating. smile.gif
Adam
Hey hey,

The original link to the PDF is linking to an older version. Rob keeps direct download links on his site: http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/

(One of the benefits of buying the PDF is, assuming you ticky the correct tickybox when you buy it, we'll send you email notifications when we update it, and of course you get free updates.)
crizh
wobble.gif

For a second there when I saw who was the most recent poster in this thread on the main page I thought 'This is going to be one hell of a game!...'

edit

Hey Adam, any chance of an official reply about the Exceptional Aptitude errata?
Adam
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 23 2010, 10:19 PM) *
For a second there when I saw who was the most recent poster in this thread on the main page I thought 'This is going to be one hell of a game!...'

Well, I want to make sure you have the most hell of a game possible. wink.gif

Hey Adam, any chance of an official reply about the Exceptional Aptitude errata?

Has this been brought up somewhere on the official forums? That's where Rob handles rules-related questions when he has time.
crizh
Yeah, I did yesterday.

Current errata seems to effectively double the cost.
kxU
thanks a lot, adam. smile.gif i plan on buying a hard copy soon, so having an old version shouldn't matter too much, but i edited the original post with the updated link for the benefit of anyone who happens to wander in here.
BlackHat
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 23 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. smile.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 24 2010, 04:14 AM) *
The original link to the PDF is linking to an older version.

Fixed. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
BlackHat
is anyone else having trouble getting that new link to work? I already have the 2nd printing PDF, so its not an issue for me, but I tried the link, and it said the document was corrupt - but that could just be my computer caching something it shouldn't.
crizh
I can't get it to work either, I just get a page that should have one big advert on it but has one of my funnies in it's place...

Try here. That's a legal torrent that Adam seeded himself.

I've been sharing that for a while, probably saved Rob about 5 Gig's of bandwidth. It isn't much but I like to do my bit.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 22 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Is.

SPARTA!

No, seriously, I'd like to play too, if that's possible? Even though there's like 8 people registering interest, I already have a character ready: a 5-year-old Lost nanotechnologist called Jillian Effect!
Thanee
Yeah, I also had the corrupt file message when trying the download. Rob needs to upload it again, I suppose. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Adam
When we're outta Sunward crunch, I'll see about make sure Rob fixes that up.
Mr. Mage
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jun 24 2010, 10:56 AM) *
SPARTA!

Man, that took a while...
kxU
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jun 24 2010, 09:56 AM) *
SPARTA!

No, seriously, I'd like to play too, if that's possible? Even though there's like 8 people registering interest, I already have a character ready: a 5-year-old Lost nanotechnologist called Jillian Effect!

like i said, it's still way the hell too early to start taking players, this was just a market test. when the actual recruitment thread goes live, everyone will have a chance to throw their name into the hat. smile.gif it looks like there's sufficient interest for more than one game though, if anyone else wants to run one, go for it!
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Adam @ Jun 24 2010, 12:24 PM) *
When we're outta Sunward crunch, I'll see about make sure Rob fixes that up.

I just downloaded the 2nd printing from the link on Rob's site and it's working fine for me.
Thanee
Indeed, now it worked for me, too. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Jimson
I too am interested in playing. I'll keep a look out for the recruitment thread. Maybe, if we are lucky, other GM's will see the mass amount of interest and start other games. smile.gif Thanks for being the first kxU.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012