Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eclipse Phase RPG: Scouting for interest!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
pragma
Also interested. Hadn't heard of this before three days ago, but the rules set is growing on me pretty quickly.
BlackHat
QUOTE (kxU @ Jun 24 2010, 12:01 PM) *
it looks like there's sufficient interest for more than one game though,

I'm counting 16 interested parties. eek.gif That's enough for several games (or one heck of a run off for spots in one game).

QUOTE (kxU @ Jun 24 2010, 12:01 PM) *
if anyone else wants to run one, go for it!

I've been tossing the idea around (even before this thread came up), and since nobody has complained in here about DS being SR-exclusive, I'm encouraged.
Jimson
I have no problem with running it here, but then again, I haven't been around on dumpshock as long as others.
nezumi
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 25 2010, 10:43 AM) *
I've been tossing the idea around (even before this thread came up), and since nobody has complained in here about DS being SR-exclusive, I'm encouraged.

I'm pretty sure it's an unstated rule, except in the case of Adam because, hey, it's Adam. You may as well complain about Jesus posting about Buddhism on a Christianity-only board. I mean, what are you going to say?
Thanee
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jun 25 2010, 05:43 PM) *
I'm counting 16 interested parties.

Pretty cool to see that the game prompts so much interest. They certainly deserve the attention. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Rhavyn
Hi,

i would be interested to give this game a shot. Haven't played in a PBP so far though, but since i can't find a group in RL i would like to try it.

Thanks!

Rhavyn
crizh
Can't not post....

Some of this is shamelessly ripped off but apparently from sources that nobody at Posthuman has ever read so I should be safe....

[ Spoiler ]

More to come.

Rebel
[ Spoiler ]
Jimson
So after reading crizh's stories, and re-reading Lack, I'm still on the edge of my seat, waiting to play EP (in-person). But sadly I do not believe that will ever happen. Because of this, I am getting the itch to run a PbP. There are a few problems to this.

1. I have only played PbP, and only two shadowrun sessions which died right before combat. So not a whole lot of experience there.
2. I have not played EP. I've made a few characters and read through most of the book, including the forbidden section, as I was planning on running EP with my local group. So, I'm not sure how great of a GM I might be (new to PbP GMing and new to EP).

I may sound like I do not have a whole lot of confidence, but I'm always willing to learn/try something new. Before I think about GMing EP PbP, I was wondering if people would like to post some characters here. I am really interested in your ideas. I have really only seen the sample characters, the characters from Mind the WMD, and of course the characters I created.
BlackHat
I'll see what I can do when I get home. For now, you might find this link useful (I did): http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=469937 A lot of people posted characters there, and one guy, in particular, was taking character concepts and fleshing out their stats.

EDIT: EDIT: Never mind my previous edit, you already mentioned the quick-start characters.
BlackHat
Also, I don't think your experiences are that much different from most of the people that would be interested in playing.

QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 7 2010, 03:26 PM) *
1. I have only played PbP, and only two shadowrun sessions which died right before combat. So not a whole lot of experience there.

PBP Shadowrun games often dry up right after the initial "meet" - and a lot of those that don't don't survive the first combat (where times slows to a crawl). I've only been in a couple of games in the 5 years since I have been posting here that actually completed their mission. I don't see much in EP that is going to ease that (its just an issue with the PBP format), but I'm not all that surprised that neither of your two sessions panned out to the end.

QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 7 2010, 03:26 PM) *
2. I have not played EP. I've made a few characters and read through most of the book, including the forbidden section, as I was planning on running EP with my local group.

My guess is that is as far as any of us have gotten with EP. I've toyed with a few characters, and kept my eye open for PBP opportunities, but right now, its all theoretical - for all I know, these characters are going to be terrible, in practice.

EP is brand new (and shiney) and probably very few of us would have had a chance to play it yet IRL. Its a new system, so convincing a group to give it a shot is tricky, and you'd probably have to wait until that group's current game ends. This is my situation, anyway.

Basically, I think there is going to be learning involved for everyone - so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
nezumi
Actually, i think it'll be a lot better than SR. SR has a level of granularity in combat, with combat pool and the like, which EP doesn't have. Waiting on everyone to post how much combat pool they're spending on this or that sucks. In my PbP game, I don't let people roll their own dice or set their pools unless they get to it before I do. That's probably half of why my game is still running.

EP it's just a straight up percentile die. Once the player decides his action, the only question is if he'll spend moxie on it or not.
BlackHat
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 7 2010, 03:48 PM) *
EP it's just a straight up percentile die. Once the player decides his action, the only question is if he'll spend moxie on it or not.

Which is like SR4 - where there is no combat pool, but where there is Edge - and I have seen the same sorts of slow-down in SR4 games.
That said, congrats on the long-running game! smile.gif

The topic of why so many PBP games end before they get going is probably for another thread - my point was that it has happened to all of us, and happens more often than not.
kxU
running a canned adventure is a good way to go for a new GM until you're more familiar with the system, and i know of at least two for EP. i'm still debating whether to go with one of them or come up with something original, but first, gotta learn all the rules! smile.gif
crizh
I get the feeling that the rules in EP are a bit like Call of Cthulhu. If you're in combat with any sort of exsurgent threat then you're not worrying about the rules but when you last made a backup. They give me the feeling that they are supposed to break down at some point and be replaced by freeform role-playing.

Not that that is a bad thing. grinbig.gif
Abschalten
Just updating to say I'm still waiting in the wings for an EP game to get started. I'll be submitting a charsheet pronto soon as you start recruitment. smile.gif

I really dig EP. Best new game to come out in years.
Adam
Any GMs who want to run an EP game on an upcoming -- and very interesting -- site that hybridizes play-by-post and live mic/cam/chat games, send me a PM and I'll hook you and your group up.
Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 7 2010, 02:57 PM) *
My guess is that is as far as any of us have gotten with EP. I've toyed with a few characters, and kept my eye open for PBP opportunities, but right now, its all theoretical - for all I know, these characters are going to be terrible, in practice.

EP is brand new (and shiney) and probably very few of us would have had a chance to play it yet IRL. Its a new system, so convincing a group to give it a shot is tricky, and you'd probably have to wait until that group's current game ends. This is my situation, anyway.

Basically, I think there is going to be learning involved for everyone - so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That is good to know. I would imagine my characters suck too. I'm sure that stats might be great, but as for the character (who he is, what he does, etc.) I can't quite get my finger on it yet and how he would fit into a game. The sample characters are great, but there is a lot of variety (which is a good thing).

I was thinking of running one of the canned adventures, but I think I came up with an idea today that I will try to flesh out. If I do end up running with it, I would like to start small, as I have never done this before. Maybe 3 people. But its too early to tell.

Adam, thanks for the invite. I probably wouldn't be able to try this upcoming site, as I do all my posting at work. So far dumpshock isn't blocked. smile.gif
BlackHat
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 8 2010, 12:24 AM) *
...site that hybridizes play-by-post and live mic/cam/chat games...

I'm curious about the hybridization, but typically stick to PBP (rather than chat games) because then I don't have to be online at any given time (and can post from work), but I would be interested in hearing more about the site (particularly if it somehow addresses that aspect).
crizh
He's a cruel and wicked man. The temptation is great, so terribly great.

GM'ing is a huge time-sink and I'm never as good at it in reality as I think I am in my fevered imagination. I too would love to find out more about this site. The EP forums are reeeeaaaal slow, almost as bad as the WOTC Previous Editions boards, and I am just gagging on getting to play. I've just dug Vacuum Flowers out of the loft and started re-reading it for the fiftieth time. I'm disturbed to discover that it is 23 years since I first read it and was exposed to the terrifying concept of re-programming your own mind to be somebody else, somebody smarter, cooler, hipper.
Adam
I can't say much about this service, but I can get people onto it so they can experience it for themselves -- if they're going to actively test it. The nature of beta. smile.gif

(And it's brand new, so your workplaces filters probably won't have caught up to it yet... )
crizh
So if I were to offer to, for instance, run Glory as a taster for excited EP fans we could get early access to something you might be involved with that isn't public yet?

Potentially.
Tiger Eyes
If anyone is going to be Seattle for labor day weekend, Sandstorm is working on running some EP games at PAX. smile.gif Drop me a PM or contact us at 'contact@sandstormllc.com' if you'd like to play in person!
BlackHat
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jul 9 2010, 03:50 PM) *
If anyone is going to be Seattle for labor day weekend, Sandstorm is working on running some EP games at PAX. smile.gif Drop me a PM or contact us at 'contact@sandstormllc.com' if you'd like to play in person!

Everything good always happens in Seattle. >.<
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 9 2010, 03:54 PM) *
Everything good always happens in Seattle. >.<

Hey, only after it happened in Columbus and in Indianapolis... wink.gif
crizh
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jul 9 2010, 08:50 PM) *

That's just cruel. You know full well it's about 15000 miles to Seattle from here......
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 9 2010, 08:12 PM) *
That's just cruel. You know full well it's about 15000 miles to Seattle from here......

Crizh, you want to fly me to Scotland, I'll run all the EP games you want. biggrin.gif
crizh
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jul 10 2010, 02:23 AM) *
Crizh, you want to fly me to Scotland, I'll run all the EP games you want. biggrin.gif

Deal.

Time to check the sofa for spare change....
Jimson
Not to get more off track, but my backyard neighbors are from Scotland. The came over to California, USA 18 years ago, and then came to Minnesota a few years ago.

On topic, I've started writing up some plot line bullet points (and learning more about the rules and setting). I'm also leaning towards Saturn as a starting place for the PC's. More specifically Phelan’s Recourse. I'll keep you all posted as I progress.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 9 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Not to get more off track, but my backyard neighbors are from Scotland. The came over to California, USA 18 years ago, and then came to Minnesota a few years ago.

On topic, I've started writing up some plot line bullet points (and learning more about the rules and setting). I'm also leaning towards Saturn as a starting place for the PC's. More specifically Phelan’s Recourse. I'll keep you all posted as I progress.

Dude, you start a game and I am so there. I have a handful of awesome characters I've been dying to try out.
Adam
QUOTE (crizh @ Jul 9 2010, 03:35 PM) *
So if I were to offer to, for instance, run Glory as a taster for excited EP fans we could get early access to something you might be involved with that isn't public yet?

Yes.
Adam
Well, apparently the cat is out of the bag -- Eclipse Phase players should check out http://infrno.net/ -- sign up, set up your profiles, and get ready for some gaming! (and some beta testing wink.gif )
Jimson
Ok. I think I've reached the point where I've done as much reading on the rules and setting that I can handle for now. I typically learn better by doing anyways, so if there are people interested in playing with a "fly by the seat of your pants" type GM who doesn't quite know all the rules, then I think I might be ready to start seeing some characters come through. If there is interest, let me know and I'll start a recruitment thread.
Combat Mage
I'm very certain that there is a very large amount of interested people here, including me. But I'll need a few more days to come up with a character since I still need to do quite a bit of reading.
BlackHat
Yeah, based on this thread, I would expect more interest than you have bandwidth for. smile.gif
I would certainly be interested (and have lots of ideas), but I'll be out of town until Monday, so I won't be able to get anything put up until early next week.
Jimson
QUOTE (BlackHat @ Jul 14 2010, 02:21 PM) *
Yeah, based on this thread, I would expect more interest than you have bandwidth for. smile.gif
I would certainly be interested (and have lots of ideas), but I'll be out of town until Monday, so I won't be able to get anything put up until early next week.

Yeah, that probably is true, since I am only planning on taking 3 players. Possibly 4. As for being out of town, don't worry about it, since I don't do any posting over the weekend. I guess the next step is to start the recruitment thread.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Jimson @ Jul 14 2010, 03:28 PM) *
Yeah, that probably is true, since I am only planning on taking 3 players. Possibly 4. As for being out of town, don't worry about it, since I don't do any posting over the weekend. I guess the next step is to start the recruitment thread.

I wanna play!! smile.gif
crizh
I could probably put up stats for Rebel in a couple of hours.

I'm about ready to burst for a chance to play this character....
Jimson
Here you be. Eclipse Phase: A trip to Renewal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012