Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karmagen and Free Knowledge skills
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cndblank
The title says it all.

In the BP system an Everyman with a 3 Int and a 3 Log would have 18 ratings in Knowledge skills and Languages.
That makes sense to me. We all know stuff. Most of it is of little interest to those around us, but we all know lots of stuff.
My 11 year old son must have a rating 5 knowledge of Pokemon lore and close to that in Starwars lore.

The problem is nudging players to buy the background skills instead of one more spell or another piece of cyberware.

There is also a real need for errata on Karmagen system.

So in the interest in making things easier for the GM, who else would like to see Free Knowledge and Language skills errata-ed in to the official Karmagen system?
cndblank
And I'm fine with instead of 750, you get 725 and some free karma points for Knowledge and Language skills.
Ancient History
In Karmagen, you do not get free skill points. You also do not have a cap on how many skill points you can have, as you do in BP.
Ol' Scratch
Except that you do have the same limits (only one 6 or two 5s). There's never been a cap on how many total points you have in either system that I'm aware of.

Anyway, yes, the more Knowledge Skills the better. I never have enough points for them. They're my favorite part of character creation for adding some flavor to my characters.
Ancient History
SR4A, p.85, emphasis mine:
Your character starts with a number of Knowledge skill points equal to (Logic + Intuition) x 3. You may also purchase additional Knowledge skill points at a rate of 2 BP per point. The maximum number of Knowledge skill points you may purchase is also equal to your (Logic + Intuition) x 3. In other words, you can only increase your total Knowledge skill points up to double your starting amount. Note that Language skills are also purchased from this pool of Knowledge skill points.

Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 25 2010, 05:58 PM) *
SR4A, p.85, emphasis mine:

Whyever did they institute that rule?
cndblank
As a GM, I always like to see what the players decide their Characters know about.

QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Jun 25 2010, 10:53 AM) *
Except that you do have the same limits (only one 6 or two 5s). There's never been a cap on how many total points you have in either system that I'm aware of.

Anyway, yes, the more Knowledge Skills the better. I never have enough points for them. They're my favorite part of character creation for adding some flavor to my characters.

Ancient History
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jun 25 2010, 05:06 PM) *

<shrug>
Abstruse
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jun 25 2010, 10:06 AM) *

Someone was a dozen or so words under their contractually-obligated word count?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012