Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixth World Almanac electronic release!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
JM Hardy
The long-awaited Sixth World Almanac is available now in PDF form! Get it at the Battleshop or Drivethrurpg.com! Note that the electronic version contains a PDF file of the map poster along with the book.

Prefer a print version to PDF? Fear not! The print process is underway. We’ll announce a street date as soon as we have a firm one! Note that we are not offering book pre-orders, including PDF/book combos, at the moment–that will be made available as we get closer to the print release.

Jason H.
hobgoblin
woho!
Prime Mover
Good to see the floodgates are finally open. This ones been long awaited.
Xahn Borealis
Helloooooo, wishlist.
MJBurrage
Looks great, I look forward to digging in to the text over the next week.

A few things I noticed so far:
  • Who calls it the Gulf of Mexico? who calls it the Gulf of Aztlan?
  • The UCAS entry does not list any former Canadian provinces as member states.
  • The maps show the CAS/UCAS border too close to D.C. (as if North Virgina did not exist).
  • The Québec entry lists Newfoundland as a member state. IIRC, according to all past sources Newfoundland is part of UCAS.
  • The Québec/UCAS border should be extended far enough to show whether Newfoundland is in fact in Québec or UCAS.
  • Should the Aztlan flag be blood-splattered? It fits the metagame knowledge we have, but it does not seem to fit the image I thought they try to project to the masses.
  • Did the northern strip of Oklahoma become a state of "North Oklahoma"? or did it become part of Kansas?
Mr. Mage
Aztlan: "That's not blood patter! That's just ketchup...we love our ketchup here, that's right, ketchup....yummm....and you'll believe us if you know what's good for you....Ketchup! Yea!"
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mr. Mage @ Jun 25 2010, 06:32 PM) *
Aztlan: "That's not blood patter! That's just ketchup...we love our ketchup here, that's right, ketchup....yummm....and you'll believe us if you know what's good for you....Ketchup! Yea!"

Replace ketchup with salsa and I'd totally believe it.

Time to go get a new booooook....
hermit
* Who calls it the Gulf of Mexico? who calls it the Gulf of Aztlan?

Presumption: 1) everyone but 2) Aztlan and Henan, the only state that likes Aztlan because it is similarily psycho.

I cannot see the CAS calling it anything but Gulf of Mexico in a million billion years. Only thing I could see is them caling it Patriot Gulf or Gulf of Texas.

Hrm!

Gulf of Texas ... actually sounds rather nice.

Aztlan: "That's not blood patter! That's just salsa...we love our salsahere, that's right, salsa....yummm....and you'll believe us if you know what's good for you....salsa! Yea!"

Fix'd for ya. smile.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 07:26 PM) *
Fix'd for ya. smile.gif

Salsa: Covering epileptic seizure and blood spatter since 1962. biggrin.gif
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 03:28 PM) *
Salsa: Covering epileptic seizure and blood spatter since 1962. biggrin.gif

I think the question we're all asking ourselves is... is it chunky salsa?
Doc Chase
Piffle. We also know what the assumption is:

Of course it's chunky salsa.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jun 25 2010, 03:32 PM) *
Piffle. We also know what the assumption is:

Of course it's chunky salsa.

Good answer biggrin.gif

In a related note:

How is the Republique de Quebec entry? Curious to know what happened after CatCo kicked the bucket.
Doc Chase
I'm going to pick it up tonight after I get home from workthing. I cannot wait to get caught up.

edit: Come to think of it, a review of it may be in order I'll see how I feel and possibly post something after I'm done reading it.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Jun 25 2010, 01:16 PM) *
The long-awaited Sixth World Almanac is available now in PDF form! Get it at the Battleshop or Drivethrurpg.com! Note that the electronic version contains a PDF file of the map poster along with the book.

Prefer a print version to PDF? Fear not! The print process is underway. We’ll announce a street date as soon as we have a firm one! Note that we are not offering book pre-orders, including PDF/book combos, at the moment–that will be made available as we get closer to the print release.

Jason H.

Do you know if there will be a price break for the combo, or is it just the same cost as buying it separately?
GrimWulf
Page 13, sidebar, 10 minute war.

Looks like an editing mistake was made in this entry "with enough three nuclear bombs"
Stahlseele
Sloppy Editing like that is one of the reasons why PDF's should be released some weeks to months before stuff goes to the printers.
So people can do community errata, which can be used to make the file going to the printers BETTER than it was before . .
Minchandre
Is anyone willing to give a full list of the countries covered? Basically, I need to decide whether to buy it now, or agonize for a few weeks and then buy it later for the same price.
hermit
I think the question we're all asking ourselves is... is it chunky salsa?

Is there any other kind in Aztlan?!

Is anyone willing to give a full list of the countries covered? Basically, I need to decide whether to buy it now, or agonize for a few weeks and then buy it later for the same price.

Here ya go.

GEOGRAPHY
Asamando 102
Azanian Confederation 104
Egypt 106
Kenya 108
Kingdoms of Nigeria 110
Arabian Caliphate 114
Canton Confederation 116
Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone 118
Indian Union 120
Japanese Imperial State (Jis) 122
Manchuria 126
The Philippines 128
Shaanxi 130
Yakut 132
Australian Republic 136
Allied German States 140
Czech Republic 144
France 146
Italian Confederation 148
Russia 150
Tír Na Nóg 152
United Kingdom 156
Algonkian-Manitou Council 162
Athabaskan Council 164
Aztlan 166
Caribbean League 170
Confederation of American States 172
California Free State 176
Denver 178
Hawai’i 180
Pueblo Corporate Council 182
Québec 184
Salish-Shidhe Council 186
Sioux Nation 188
Tír Tairngire 190
United Canadian and American States 194
Amazonia 200
Argentina 204
Peru 206
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Is there any other kind in Aztlan?!

There's an ultra-smooth variety with a smokey flavor, typically used as ritual refreshment.

I believe they call it 'Macuahuitl Black'. You really only see it around the teocalli.
Tzeentch
-- I was going to wait for the book release but the cost break was just too damn tempting. Well ... as soon as DTRPG stops crashing on my payment confirmation smile.gif

hermit
There's an ultra-smooth variety with a smokey flavor, typically used as ritual refreshment.

I believe they call it 'Macuahuitl Black'. You really only see it around the teocalli.

grinbig.gif Awesome, that is so gonna get noted down and thrown out as an aztech-produced salsa somehow, somewhere ...
Zen Shooter01
It is totally, totally awesome that the world map has both 6th Word and real world political boundaries on it in North America. How often did I look at maps in the past wondering, "Is Kentucky in the CAS or the UCAS?"
hermit
I'd have prefered states drawn for all countries.
Tzeentch
I'm not sure if this is written correctly:

2068 (January 31): "... the corp opens the five long-delayed underground agricultural hydroponic farms. Covering over 20,000 kilometers each, with multiple underground levels"
* I'm pretty sure they mean square kilometers but that's still 140 km x 140 km underground facilities with multiple levels. That sounds like a trope in the making smile.gif
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 09:32 PM) *
I'm not sure if this is written correctly:

2068 (January 31): "... the corp opens the five long-delayed underground agricultural hydroponic farms. Covering over 20,000 kilometers each, with multiple underground levels"
* I'm pretty sure they mean square kilometers but that's still 140 km x 140 km underground facilities with multiple levels. That sounds like a trope in the making smile.gif

Advanced hydroponics are now canon? Sweet news for Garden of Eden style Spaceships!
GrimWulf
Agree map is awesome, but, I'd like it better if there was more definition between the oceans and the landmass in some areas (Caribbean for instance, or Norway coast) It makes it hard to look at, especially on my ipad where contrast isn't controllable, only brightness.
hermit
Advanced hydroponics are now canon? Sweet news for Garden of Eden style Spaceships!

Have been since Seattle Sourcebook. But SR4 is quite good at rehashing things long established and saelling them as innovations.
Tzeentch
-- Found a small oops:
Tir Tairngire

p. 92 2065 "January 1—TÍR TAIRNGIRE: The first general elections are held in the nation ..."

p. 191: "The first open election was held January 5, 2065 ..."

-- Which one is it? grinbig.gif
hermit
Obviously two different elections? grinbig.gif

One free, one fair ... or something.
Tzeentch
-- Both elections elected Larry Zincan though. I call shenanigans! rotate.gif

-- I like how the Tir Tairngire section turned out! Captures the tension of the situation in a concise manner, and I didn't spot anything that made me roll my eyes or go "hey WTF." Well executed!

Now to pick over the Salish-Shidhe cyber.gif
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 04:52 PM) *
-- Found a small oops:
Tir Tairngire

p. 92 2065 "January 1—TÍR TAIRNGIRE: The first general elections are held in the nation ..."

p. 191: "The first open election was held January 5, 2065 ..."

-- Which one is it? grinbig.gif

The Jan 5th one was for Tir Tairngire Idol.

rotfl.gif
hermit
-- Both elections elected Larry Zincan though. I call shenanigans!

Hey, Hitler wass president and chancellor too! It's not like it never happened!

-- I like how the Tir Tairngire section turned out! Captures the tension of the situation in a concise manner, and I didn't spot anything that made me roll my eyes or go "hey WTF." Well executed!

I admit smirking at the backpedaling from the previous hints, but am puzzled why Horizon would base it's major branch Charisma in a country that would not give exterritoriality. Especially when, as hinted, they actually have little leverage on the government at all. I mean, I'm kinda happy the writers decided not to turn the Tir into a McCorp state after all, but ... weird.

The Jan 5th one was for Tir Tairngire Idol.

With Horizon around, every vote is Idol. But that is good, because Horizon is.
Tzeentch
-- Minor nit:

Salish-Shidhe
-- (p. 186) Hell's Canyon is in totally the wrong location on the map. Someone did a quick Google search and picked the Hell's Canyon near Coeur D' Alene smile.gif~
-- This amused me a ton as a local, but the Hells Canyon being discussed is way further south. From the description they are talking about the Hells Canyon area (yes, there are multiple areas called "Hells Canyon" along the Snake) near Riggins.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 25 2010, 02:40 PM) *
Do you know if there will be a price break for the combo, or is it just the same cost as buying it separately?

I believe the combo, when it becomes available, will have a price break, but I am not yet entirely sure.

Jason H.
Tzeentch
-- Historical oops (or Shadowrun alt-history goes WAY back).

Tir na nOg
-- (p. 153) "Slighe Roads were ancient Roman roads built over mana lines ..."

No, the Romans never built any roads in Ireland.

BlueMax
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 04:07 PM) *
-- Historical oops (or Shadowrun alt-history goes WAY back).

Tir na nOg
-- (p. 153) "Slighe Roads were ancient Roman roads built over mana lines ..."

No, the Romans never built any roads in Ireland.

According to your history buddy. At my house we treat all Britons as if they are just Romans in disguise.

BlueMax
/wishes he was kidding.
Tzeentch
Ninja Romans! So powerful and elite that they actually control the Immortal Elves from the shadows! So they are the powers behind the powers behind the throne smile.gif
Ancient History
On careful consideration, I think the reason the countries written to replace the ones I pulled feature the exact same cities and locations because they were already marked on the maps. Because I honestly don't see anyone else using the Hellbender Valley or Inga Stone otherwise.
SkepticInc
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Ninja Romans! So powerful and elite that they actually control the Immortal Elves from the shadows! So they are the powers behind the powers behind the throne smile.gif

Well, we can fight them with Robotic Russians! err, Robotic Bears!
BlueMax
QUOTE (Tzeentch @ Jun 25 2010, 04:15 PM) *

Any good conspiracy theory needs to track its roots all the way back to the Romans. Even the founding of Rome, was a conspiratorial plot developed by Romans.

BlueMax
Megu
No Southeast Asia? No Vietnam? No Dega Alliance? Nothing?

I sad.

Hopefully War will have something at least.
Tzeentch
-- I'd be curious to know why some countries got inclusion and others did not smile.gif They have Hawai'i in there for example, and it's pretty much "yeah nothing going on here" smile.gif Paradise Lost is STILL the only way to get any detail on that place.
Minchandre
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 25 2010, 03:10 PM) *
Here ya go.

Thanks! Sadly, not all the nations I was hoping for, but it seems like a good mix.
Minchandre
Why do people always have Israel annexing Lebanon in future thingies?
The Dragon Girl
man I do -not- want to buy this twice. Holding out to be able to preorder with a pdf combo
Pepsi Jedi
I would, but still not 100% sure I fully believe that it'll land in Dead Tree form.

I bought it. Just in case.
Pepsi Jedi
The quote from the "gamer" on page 13, that were annoyed when the nuclear accident happened and moved their character figures and what not... while sad and such, did make me laugh for a few minutes straight.

Poor irradiated dead idiots. lol
Ancient History
They kept my flags, thankfully, although the CAS one looks dire. Anybody that wanders over to the Carib League, I'll let you in on a little secret: it's a highly stylized skull-and-crossbones.
Ancient History
Y'know, I take it back what I said before. Some of this is way closer to my drafts than coincidence. What the hell? I mean, I can understand if you have a public place that's on the map and you want to use it, but look at this shit:
QUOTE (6WA)
Navassa Island is home to a well-researched merrow community numbering in the hundreds. The merrow have frequently clashed with pirates and bounty hunters. These skirmishes always occur within visible range of the island and tend to involve the use of magic on the merrow side. Despite these encounters, parabiologists believe the merrow to be a peaceable species, citing their own interactions with the community.

QUOTE (Bobby)
Navassa Island has a sizable merrow community, with approximately two hundred individuals permanently occupying the island and thirteen migratory groups that travel around the Carib, returning to the island periodically. The permanent community survives by fishing and shellfish-farming. Violent incidents with local pirates limit their interactions and trading with metahumans, but the community includes at least three magicians who sometimes attempt to communicate with any Awakened crew members of peaceable vessels. Individual adolescent Navassa merrow have been seen throughout the Carib, often attempting to retrieve some specific reagent or material and return to Navassa. Parabiologists believe this is some sort of coming-of-age rite.

I mean yeah, they're different - but considering Navassa Island has never been mentioned in Shadowrun before, what are the odds that two drafts would just happen to both make them merrow enclaves? The rest of the Carib League draft is particularly offensive; it also lists the same places as I've got, the Cayman Trench and the Phantom Islands, both also not-on-the-map-or-mentioned-before. It's not outright plagiarism, but it is pretty stupid. I mean, good gravy, out of all the cities listed the authors just happened to choose all of the exact same ones (in order) as I did for Amazonia, India and the CAS? At least the poor scab that rewrote Aztlan took some liberties in choosing which material to present.
Buio
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Jun 25 2010, 11:17 PM) *
It is totally, totally awesome that the world map has both 6th Word and real world political boundaries on it in North America. How often did I look at maps in the past wondering, "Is Kentucky in the CAS or the UCAS?"

That already exists on the North American map in both 4th edition books. Why is it needed on the world map too?

Perhaps a layered PDF with the option to turn old world borders off would be nice, but I guess it's bit late for that now. And with all the old world borders too, not only USA. Especially good for continents with big changes in borders like South America and Africa.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 25 2010, 10:35 PM) *
Sloppy Editing like that is one of the reasons why PDF's should be released some weeks to months before stuff goes to the printers.
So people can do community errata, which can be used to make the file going to the printers BETTER than it was before . .

Has that been done before? Would be great if it could be cleaned up until print (which is what I'm waiting for).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012