Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aden?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Minchandre
Have we heard anything about Aden since Dragons of the Sixth World?

On a related note, I realize that cold wars and such are the bread and butter of Shadowrun, but does anyone else ever itch for a conflict to be resolved? For example, we're resolving Aztlan/Amazonia. We resolved Japan/California. Left to resolve: Aztlan's northern border, whatever the hell is happening in the Middle East (Lofwyr bs Aden?)
Martin_DeVries_Institute
Well, Aden is mentioned in Running Wild, but there isn't really an update. (S)he is still opposed to Lofwyr, and Islamic unification efforts.
Red_Cap
Yup, that's about it. The consolidation of half of North Africa under Egyptian rule certainly doesn't help Aden's anti-Islamic unification agenda, so you could stage some runs based on trying to split it back up. Plus, in DotSW, Aden is referred to as a male while the poster in Running Wild states that Aden is unequivocably female. Which I thought was strange.

Anyway, Aden is one of my favorite of the Great Dragons simply because there is so little written about him/her/it. Leaves lots of wiggle room for metaplot-sized games. My more than passing familiarity with the Middle East and a curiously unfounded dislike of Lofwyr and S-K exacerbate the situation. I actually wrote up a short setting-brief for Kirkuk, Iraq for the Hidden Grid that leaned heavily on the Lofwyr vs. Aden angle. If you're looking to do runs in the area, I'm sure I've got a copy of it on here somewhere.
MortVent
one reason for the gender confusion is : islamic tradition, females are not respected... so if female better for dealings with metahumans in the area by pretending to be male...

either way, buying them a dress for xmas is right out there... especially something pink and white made of lace and chiffron that would make strawberry shortcake whimper and cringe... it's better to send something like that to dollmaker...

Megu
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 4 2010, 07:39 AM) *
Yup, that's about it. The consolidation of half of North Africa under Egyptian rule certainly doesn't help Aden's anti-Islamic unification agenda, so you could stage some runs based on trying to split it back up. Plus, in DotSW, Aden is referred to as a male while the poster in Running Wild states that Aden is unequivocably female. Which I thought was strange.

Anyway, Aden is one of my favorite of the Great Dragons simply because there is so little written about him/her/it. Leaves lots of wiggle room for metaplot-sized games. My more than passing familiarity with the Middle East and a curiously unfounded dislike of Lofwyr and S-K exacerbate the situation. I actually wrote up a short setting-brief for Kirkuk, Iraq for the Hidden Grid that leaned heavily on the Lofwyr vs. Aden angle. If you're looking to do runs in the area, I'm sure I've got a copy of it on here somewhere.

Dude, you should totally add that to the thread a couple weeks back about compiling our own local writeups.
Minchandre
Well, thanks for the partially disappointing and partially awesome responses.

One thing about Aden I always wondered: if (s)he's so ardently anti-Arabia, why the fuck is (s)he not backing Israel more?
Kumo
One thing about Aden I always wondered: if (s)he's so ardently anti-Arabia, why the fuck is (s)he not backing Israel more?

Maybe Israeli don't want to deal with the dragon?
Sengir
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jul 5 2010, 07:16 AM) *

(S)he doesn't seem to be anti-Arabia per se, only opposed to an Arabian hegemony. Whatever the aim behind that is (probably that a lot a warring fiefdoms are easier to control), replacing the Califate as the major power player in the Middle East with Israel obviously doesn't help it wink.gif
Hagga
A Caliphate would be great for Aden, if Aden was the Caliph.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 5 2010, 09:55 AM) *
A Caliphate would be great for Aden, if Aden was the Caliph.

How would he claim he is a descendant of the Prophet? Or would he try to claim that the Prophet was a Drake and was his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-son?
Johnny Hammersticks
You might think it is easier, or preferable to her, to influence the middle east when it is composed of several weak entities and not one strong one.
Perhaps sometime in medieval history the Khalifs funded a secret organization to hunt and destroy dragons armed with some bit of hidden lore or an artifact of some kind.

Sengir
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 5 2010, 12:55 PM) *
A Caliphate would be great for Aden, if Aden was the guy secretly controlling every move of the Caliph.

Fixed.
Red_Cap
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 4 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Dude, you should totally add that to the thread a couple weeks back about compiling our own local writeups.

Link me, and I will.
Minchandre
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jul 5 2010, 02:24 AM) *
(S)he doesn't seem to be anti-Arabia per se, only opposed to an Arabian hegemony. Whatever the aim behind that is (probably that a lot a warring fiefdoms are easier to control), replacing the Califate as the major power player in the Middle East with Israel obviously doesn't help it wink.gif

Aden seems to be in favor of chaos and disunity in the Middle East, thus supporting Armenians, Kurds, Lebanese, etc. I feel like the Israelis have a similar objective (disunited Arabs are advantageous for them as well).
Hagga
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jul 5 2010, 01:10 PM) *
How would he claim he is a descendant of the Prophet? Or would he try to claim that the Prophet was a Drake and was his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-son?

Something along the lines of "SEE TEHRAN? YOU'RE NEXT IF YOUR SCHOLARS DON'T MIND ME TO BE A RELATIVE!"
Megu
QUOTE (Red_Cap @ Jul 5 2010, 10:15 AM) *
Link me, and I will.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...l=local+writeup

Shit needs to be stickied or something, hard to find.
Red_Cap
Sweet. I'm updating it with extra info, so it might be a couple of days before I get it up there. After that, since I'm feeling inspired, I'm going to do a write-up of Boston and its environs, too. Stay tuned.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 5 2010, 08:33 PM) *
Something along the lines of "SEE TEHRAN? YOU'RE NEXT IF YOUR SCHOLARS DON'T MIND ME TO BE A RELATIVE!"

LOL!
stevebugge
QUOTE (Kumo @ Jul 4 2010, 11:23 PM) *
Maybe Israeli don't want to deal with the dragon?

Or it might explain why the Mossad has a better than average track record as an Intelligence Agency if someone is leaking the resuklts of her/his divinations.

Manipulating an intel agency for their own ends is definitely in the Official Unofficial Great Dragon Play Book
Megu
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 5 2010, 06:33 PM) *

This seems more like a player character's plan than a great dragon's plan. I do like it, though.
Minchandre
QUOTE (stevebugge @ Jul 6 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Or it might explain why the Mossad has a better than average track record as an Intelligence Agency if someone is leaking the resuklts of her/his divinations.

Manipulating an intel agency for their own ends is definitely in the Official Unofficial Great Dragon Play Book

An excellent point, though I have to say Aden never struck me as a sneaky type...but then, maybe that's exactly what (s)he wants us to think... grinbig.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Minchandre @ Jul 5 2010, 05:52 PM) *
Aden seems to be in favor of chaos and disunity in the Middle East, thus supporting Armenians, Kurds, Lebanese, etc. I feel like the Israelis have a similar objective (disunited Arabs are advantageous for them as well).

The aim of Israeli foreign policy is force projection in every last bedouin tent of the Middle East, independently of the rest of the world if need be, and without actually wanting to conquer the whole place. Yes, that is similar to Aden's aims, which is exactly why the two shouldn't get along. The position of "don't fuck with me, I can and will kill everybody who tries to off me" does not exactly tolerate equal peers. wink.gif
Ascalaphus
I think that for Aden it wouldn't do to openly associate with Israel - that might mess up all of Aden's other alliances.
CanRay
The Ayatollah had declared a jihad against all Awakened. Aden replied.

When you're picking a fight, make sure you know who you're picking a fight with!
Hagga
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 7 2010, 04:22 AM) *
The Ayatollah had declared a jihad against all Awakened. Aden replied.

When you're picking a fight, make sure you know who you're picking a fight with!

Or have a flight of attack helicopters on hand. Debates are always messy when one party is a few hundred tonnes of scale, muscle, magic and temper and the other is a nation.
MortVent
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 7 2010, 01:00 AM) *
Or have a flight of attack helicopters on hand. Debates are always messy when one party is a few hundred tonnes of scale, muscle, magic and temper and the other is a nation.

Well you have to consider great dragons have delt with said attack craft and won... hardened armor does that combined with magic that allows them to fly in ways a machine can not.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012