Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ritual Binding Materials
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
biccat
For spirit binding, it seems like the ritual binding materials would be consumed, but I can't find the reference. Any help?
Trevalier
It doesn't say so explicitly under Binding, but the Rebinding section on page 189 of SR4A says, "The test requires another ritual taking a number of hours equal to the current Force of the spirit, requiring the same materials as before (at 500 nuyen.gif per point of the spirit's Force)." To me, that implies that the materials are expended in the ritual, and if you want to perform another ritual (even to rebind the same spirit), you need to buy more materials.
Yerameyahu
It may be one of those rules that's so obvious it's not written down. smile.gif Does the book actually *say* that ammo gets used up?
biccat
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2010, 02:55 AM) *
It may be one of those rules that's so obvious it's not written down. smile.gif Does the book actually *say* that ammo gets used up?

Well firearms are obvious, of course the bullets get used up (although I suppose you could pry the projectile out of the wall/someone's body and reform a bullet).

However, it's not obvious that ritual binding materials get used up. They could be candles, incense, or other consumables, or they could be sculptures, paintings, and representative elements (silver cup for an air elemental, gold for fire, etc.) that attune the magician to the spirit.
Yerameyahu
As long as your *money* vanishes, you can fluff it however you like, I guess. smile.gif The permanent items, IMO, constitute a Lodge, not binding materials.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (biccat @ Jul 6 2010, 08:02 PM) *
Well firearms are obvious, of course the bullets get used up (although I suppose you could pry the projectile out of the wall/someone's body and reform a bullet).

However, it's not obvious that ritual binding materials get used up. They could be candles, incense, or other consumables, or they could be sculptures, paintings, and representative elements (silver cup for an air elemental, gold for fire, etc.) that attune the magician to the spirit.

If they were not used up, then after the initial Binding Ritual subsequent Rituals would be "free". And all subsequent Binding Rituals. Which in effect would make all Binding Rituals free. At which point, why bother having an initial cost listed and not described as such?
SaintHax
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 6 2010, 09:55 PM) *

Though for firearms we have real world logic. I've personally never seen a spirit binding work IRL smile.gif

I've always assumed (for game purposes) it get's consumed.
biccat
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jul 8 2010, 01:49 PM) *
If they were not used up, then after the initial Binding Ritual subsequent Rituals would be "free". And all subsequent Binding Rituals. Which in effect would make all Binding Rituals free. At which point, why bother having an initial cost listed and not described as such?

Probably for the same reasons that firearms, despite having an initial cost, are not used up when they are used.

See also: vehicles, magical lodge materials, spells, and commlinks.
Yerameyahu
That's the whole point. Binding materials are, and have always been, 'ammo', not 'guns'.
chinagreenelvis
If you have to pay nuyen in order to rebind, that seems to imply that you're purchasing more materials. I think what it probably means to say is that whatever type of item you used as materials in the first binding - say, incense - then you would have to use incense in the rebinding.
Yerameyahu
Hehe, let's assume that you have to buy more, but also that they're not consumed. I have this image of a crazy 'hoarder' conjurer… biggrin.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
The pack-rat shaman has been done...frequently.
CanRay
QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jul 9 2010, 11:02 AM) *
The pack-rat shaman has been done...frequently.

Yeah, but how many have NOT been Rat Shamans? nyahnyah.gif
Yerameyahu
Yeah, but how many have done it because of an error in game rules? smile.gif
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 8 2010, 08:53 PM) *
Hehe, let's assume that you have to buy more, but also that they're not consumed. I have this image of a crazy 'hoarder' conjurer… biggrin.gif

They're otherwise known as 'talismongers', Yera. biggrin.gif
Yerameyahu
GROAN. They're supposed to mong them, not hoard them.
Doc Chase
Supposed to. I haven't known any to be out of stock of anything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012