Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dikote Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Solstice
I want to get my katanas dikoted. He says it will cost me like nuyen.gif 10,000 . It says in the rules that it's 1,000 for xxx square cm. The sticking point is this: I say I only need to have the cutting edge of my blades dikoted, thereby costing me a lot less than nuyen.gif 10,000. He says I must dikote the whole steel portion of the blade there by costing me through my bung.

Advice?
First off, GMs are God, so never ever ever ever get into his face with other players around. It is a major no no.

What else is there well you could have listed the amount of cm you get for 1000 nuyen.

So let me actually get my books out. 100 square cm or 100,000 mm. Hmmm that equals 316.23 square mm. a blade of a katana is how large. roughly 1m or 1000mm. I personally believe you need three 'doses.'

Anyone want to check me on my math.
mmu1
Dikote is described as giving more structural strength and resilience, and being almost frictionless. Nothing there to say it makes the edge of a blade sharper...

Since it makes the blade harder and almost frictionless, and the latter would definitely lower the resistance enormously when cutting something, the whole thing would have to be coated. (otherwise, the uncoated parts still generate friction and slow the cut)

Although it definitely looks like he's overcharging you some - that's almost enough for a sword 100cm long and 5cm wide... I think a katana could probably be coated with half of that, maybe less. (Haven't seen one up close in a while, but I don't think most were even 3cm wide at the widest point.)

Although - considering the boost it gives, dikote is cheap as dirt. I would probably just let it go.
Rapid Fire
Looking at the rules in M&M pg. 111, I would have to agree with your GM.
sidartha
The way my group has always played Dikotetm is to have to coat the entire metal portion if for no other reason than we think that is what the game designers intended as a game balance. also as a in-game reason, Dikote is applied using plasma to bond the film to the surface and this will ruin the temper( smile.gif sarcastic.gif ) of the weapon in question.
I know it's not the answer you wanted.
Sorry.
kevyn668
252 Posted on Feb 28 2004, 04:28 AM
  First off, GMs are God, so never ever ever ever get into his face with other players around. It is a major no no.

That says it all. GM's word is final. Sorry.
Cain
As Sidhartha pointed out, the Dikoting process involves putting the weapon into a blast furnace. Exactly how you intend to just put the cutting edge into a blast furnace is beyond me.

But to be fair-- IIRC, a katana blade is about 3cm by 1 m. That makes for 3,000 sq cm per side, or 6,000 sq. cm. At 1000 nuyen.gif per 100 sq. cm, that makes for a cost of 60,000 nuyen.gif , before Street Index is applied. If I were you, I'd take him up on that offer of 10K-- it's quite a bargain.
mmu1
QUOTE (Cain @ Feb 27 2004, 11:58 PM)
As Sidhartha pointed out, the Dikoting process involves putting the weapon into a blast furnace.  Exactly how you intend to just put the cutting edge into a blast furnace is beyond me. 

But to be fair-- IIRC, a katana blade is about 3cm by 1 m.  That makes for 3,000 sq cm per side, or 6,000 sq. cm.  At 1000 nuyen.gif per 100 sq. cm, that makes for a cost of 60,000 nuyen.gif , before Street Index is applied.  If I were you, I'd take him up on that offer of 10K-- it's quite a bargain.

Um... Last time I checked, it was 100 centimeters to a meter. So 6,000 nuyen.gif or less, since a katana blade tapers. Although it has a street index of 2, which I forgot about... Hmm, looks like the GM is actually charging pretty close to what it should be.
Solstice
QUOTE (252)

Oh great.

First off, I'm not a noob to RPGs so don't talk to me like one. I just wanted some opinions not like I'm going to throw a temper tantrum if I don't get my way. What ever in the world made you think I was "getting in my GMs face"?

I also don't have my books on hand at the moment, so no I didn't remember that it had to be put in a blast furnace. I was thinking "coating" so you would just mask off the rest of the blade, all but the cutting edge. I was thinking it was like powder coating or something. Pardon my ignorance.

The answer that I WANTED was a good explanation as to why it was not possible, which I got and thank you.
Cray74
QUOTE (Solstice)
I want to get my katanas dikoted. He says it will cost me like  nuyen.gif 10,000 . It says in the rules that it's 1,000 for xxx square cm. The sticking point is this: I say I only need to have the cutting edge of my blades dikoted, thereby costing me a lot less than  nuyen.gif 10,000. He says I must dikote the whole steel portion of the blade there by costing me through my bung.

Advice?

Alright, you just want the facts of it, so speaking as a materials engineer:

You're going to have to stick the whole sword in the dikoting chamber, which is a carefully atmosphere-controlled chamber holding methane and hydrogen. If you just dikote the cutting edge, you'll have to mask the rest of the blade, and the whole area of the blade will end up being coated (just most of it being wasted on a mask). You can't just get part of the blade in - this isn't like a paint coating process. It's a chemical vapor deposition process. With the vacuum pump down and methane/hydrogen refill needed, you can't have most of the sword dangling outside.

These are actually plasma nitriding pics, but they should give you an idea of what's involved:

http://www.nitriding.co.uk/resources/pics/...manitriding.jpg
http://www.jjcastings.com/images/plasma1.jpg
A 4-meter screw gear
http://www.jjcastings.com/images/plasma3.jpg
Aidley

er..... I argue with my gm all the time. keeps him on his toes & makes me remember the rules better.

before anyone brings up that i'm partnered to my gm, I have argued with EVERY gm for the same reason.

if i want clarification, I am going to get it.

If i think you've changed the rules on me, I'm going to let you have bot barrels.

If i think you're being grossly unfair to players, believe me, I'll let you know about it.

And if i think your challenges are too soft, you'll know about it before the first npc is killed.

Yes, the gm is the gm is the gm is god. BUT... they are ALSO human. and whether we like to admit it or not, humans make mistakes. To accept that, and and to accept the query of your players will make you a better gm.

I honestly don't give a damn if I am wrong when i question my gm. If i am, I have learned something, and s/he has proven to myself, the group and the gm's self that they know what they are doing. If I am right, then I have saved a big veer off the path, and potentially months of wasted gaming before the gm pulls up and says 'okay guys, you remember how we did x-situation? i fucked up. it no longer counts. fix your sheets.' and we all know how much we love that...

That said, and to go back onto topic - what I have read about dikoting infers that the process involves total immersion or 'dipping' of the part to be dikoted.

And I remember something about dikoting being jinglish for diamond coating or something.

anyway, my char, with her level 2 connected, dikoted her troll-sized katana for about 10K.

hope that helps a bit.
Nikoli
I'll measure my rl katanna.

100cm x 4 cm x .5 cm

100 * 4=400
400 * 2=800
100 *.5=50
800 + 50 = 850
850/100=8.5 round to 9 due to game mechanics
9 * 1000 = 9000

Is this at CharGen or an existing character?
If Chargen, it's 1000 diff, big deal.
If it's an existing, you're getting a deal.
Lilt
QUOTE (Solstice)
I want to get my katanas dikoted. He says it will cost me like  nuyen.gif 10,000.

So you have two or more katanas? I'm interested to know if that's 10k each or 10k for all (i'm assuming 2) of them. If that's both of them then I'd consider it a deal and take it. If that's each then you could try pointing him towards this thread (or mention the dimensions people are talking about here to him) and see if you can get 1k nuyen.gif off each of them.
Zazen
QUOTE (Aidley)
If i think you've changed the rules on me, I'm going to let you have bot barrels.

Bot barrels?

What's that mean?
Siege
Either "both barrels" or a drone with a shotgun...dunno which.

-Siege
Zazen
Oh, I get it now. I thought it was some kind of british slang or something.
moosegod
QUOTE (Aidley)

er..... I argue with my gm all the time. keeps him on his toes & makes me remember the rules better.

before anyone brings up that i'm partnered to my gm, I have argued with EVERY gm for the same reason.

If i think you're being grossly unfair to players, believe me, I'll let you know about it.

And if i think your challenges are too soft, you'll know about it before the first npc is killed.

Yes, the gm is the gm is the gm is god. BUT... they are ALSO human. and whether we like to admit it or not, humans make mistakes. To accept that, and and to accept the query of your players will make you a better gm.

I honestly don't give a damn if I am wrong when i question my gm. If i am, I have learned something, and s/he has proven to myself, the group and the gm's self that they know what they are doing. If I am right, then I have saved a big veer off the path, and potentially months of wasted gaming before the gm pulls up and says 'okay guys, you remember how we did x-situation? i fucked up. it no longer counts. fix your sheets.' and we all know how much we love that...

eek.gif Sounds like a very oppositional game.

Solstice
QUOTE (Lilt @ Feb 28 2004, 08:55 AM)
QUOTE (Solstice)
I want to get my katanas dikoted. He says it will cost me like  nuyen.gif 10,000.

So you have two or more katanas? I'm interested to know if that's 10k each or 10k for all (i'm assuming 2) of them. If that's both of them then I'd consider it a deal and take it. If that's each then you could try pointing him towards this thread (or mention the dimensions people are talking about here to him) and see if you can get 1k nuyen.gif off each of them.

It would be 10,000 each. I think I can sway him to go down a thousand.
Cain
Um... Last time I checked, it was 100 centimeters to a meter. So 6,000  or less, since a katana blade tapers. Although it has a street index of 2, which I forgot about... Hmm, looks like the GM is actually charging pretty close to what it should be.

Oops. embarrassed.gif Still, that street index does mean the cost should be about 12K, so it's still quite a deal. As Nikolai pointed out, real measurements put it at about 18K with street index. I'd take the price and be happy, personally.
mmu1
QUOTE (Cain)
Oops. embarrassed.gif Still, that street index does mean the cost should be about 12K, so it's still quite a deal. As Nikolai pointed out, real measurements put it at about 18K with street index. I'd take the price and be happy, personally.

Most katanas are 100cm or less, hilt included... I'm assuming that you'd have to plate the tang as well, (and remove the hilt...) though, so let's call it 90cm. They're usually less than 3cm wide at the widest point, and 4-6mm thick... So let's say 6.5 cm around. That works out to 585 square cm, so it'll be a little under 12,000 nuyen.gif factoring in street index. A good deal whichever way you look at it.
Siege
QUOTE (moosegod)
QUOTE (Aidley @ Feb 28 2004, 04:03 AM)

Yes, the gm is the gm is the gm is god. BUT... they are ALSO human. and whether we like to admit it or not, humans make mistakes.  To accept that, and and to accept the query of your players will make you a better gm.

eek.gif Sounds like a very oppositional game.

No kidding. Some people like that kind of environment.

-Siege
Solstice
I don't argue with my GM, but he is really inexperienced and he doesn't understand alot of the SR world so we work together to understand the rules and portray the flavor the other players are looking for.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Solstice)
I don't argue with my GM, but he is really inexperienced and he doesn't understand alot of the SR world so we work together to understand the rules and portray the flavor the other players are looking for.

Well, if you're the player as well, I would save your comments for after the game. This would be less embarassing for your GM when you're right, and in this case, will be less embarassing for you when you're not. From the way I read the rules, it seems like he was being fair with you on this one. Unecessary 'stoppage' of gameplay... that messes with the flavor more than anything else.
Solstice
Gee thanks, maybe I should have entitled this thread: "Please come help me with my interpersonal relationship skills regarding GM/Player conduct in the context of RPG etiquette." Cause that was my hidden intent all along.

Jesus Christ get off it already. sarcastic.gif
Kanada Ten
You realize your acting like you need the advice, right?
Fortune
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
You realize your acting like you need the advice, right?

I highly doubt that. ohplease.gif
Aidley
noting the people saying 'oppositional game'.... whatever the hell that means.

it sounds like if you don't game in australia that the gm holds you by the goulies and twists until you do his/her bidding.

here in australia we believe in equality in gaming. you know, that the players should be able to talk to the gm. I know it's a foreign concept to you but say it slowly with me 'ee-kwal--it-ee'. it's okay, i didn't mean to scare you off. I know some people like being dominated. That's what aussies use 'bondage nights' for.

Gaming isn't about domination. it's about people getting together and having fun.

And here in australia if you don't agree on the house rules for monopoly you will get people arguing their points about it. and the same goes for rpg.

I'm sorry if I think that giving in to a gm without any recourse (never mind if you're right, the gm is always right anyway so you shan't speak up or you shal be ostracised you naught naughty player) is pretty much letting yourself be bullied.

If you don't like the way i play, don't play with me. Problem solved. smile.gif

oh, and a big HI to the grammar/spelling nazis out there. this isn't a thesis, I'm not being paid to write this. if you haven't got anything better to do than pick on a typo then what does that say about how much time you have on your hands?
Kanada Ten
Fortune
I highly doubt that. ohplease.gif

<> He <gets really upset> because his <> thread <received three> answers he didn't ask for. <> Then <he complains> because it doesn't die when he wants it to? <I don't think that's right.>

Fortune
QUOTE (Aidley)
here in australia we believe in equality in gaming. [snip]

And here in australia if you don't agree on the house rules for monopoly you will get people arguing their points about it. and the same goes for rpg.

You really shouldn't make blanket statements about the gaming habits of entire countries. They are invariably not going to be true for every game and gamer in said country.
If you don't like the way i play, don't play with me. Problem solved.

This is a much more common, and more accurate reflection of GM-player interaction.
Siege
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Aidley @ Feb 29 2004, 03:29 PM)
here in australia we believe in equality in gaming. [snip]

You really shouldn't make blanket statements about the gaming habits of entire countries. They are invariably not going to be true for every game and gamer in said country.
If you don't like the way i play, don't play with me. Problem solved.

This is a much more common, and more accurate reflection of GM-player interaction.

Good job -- I think you picked out the two most coherent thoughts in the post.

I'll re-read just to make sure.

-Siege
Solstice
Don't be dense. I'm thankful for the information, however, I think the comments about "this is how you should treat your GM you naughty, naughty boy" are:

a.) Uneeded
b.) Implied "confrontations" are unfounded
c.) Out of place in a topic such as this
d.) hardly your buisness
e.) no one asked you
f.) how you "think" we run our game is not fodder for your inane comments
Cray74
Solstice, if you can get your swords dikoted legally, using a SIN and other proper channels, then I agree with your 1000 nuyen estimate. However, otherwise, IMO, you'll need to pay 10000 nuyen - street index and all that. No, you can't just coat the cutting edges. See Nikoli's measurements of his katana earlier in the thread.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
WTF? He cry's like a baby cause his poor little thread got answers he didn't ask for. OMG.

"No flaming. Criticize ideas, not people. Verbally assaulting the character of a person is NOT permitted. (Name calling is best left to grade school.)"

Folks, don't play right into the hands of the posting guidelines. It's embarrassing. nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

Thread drift and thread jacking are always annoying, especially when the original questions haven't clearly been dealt with to the original poster's satisfaction. They're also worth commenting on when the thread's originator is trying to steer s/he's trying to steer it back on topic. At least give them some answers to their questions while offering un-asked for advice.
Nikoli
(Name calling is best left to grade school.)

And the freeway, don't forget name calling on the freeway...
Solstice
Thanks Crazy,

I have a SIN but I'll probably just go with the 10,000 since it is pretty powerful. That just means it will take longer for me to get my glider. talker.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Solstice @ Feb 29 2004, 10:05 AM)
Thanks Crazy,

*Adds one more mark of chalk to the wall of "How many people misread Cray"*
Crimson Jack
This board is far from dense. Chill out. No need to jump on everyone any time they may have a suggestion how you could handle a situation better. I've seen you do this a couple of times now. Get a punching bag or something. No need to bring the animosity here. ohplease.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

Heh.
Solstice
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)

Heh.

Cray sorry about that. Brain fart.
moosegod
Looks like Aidley joined Solstice on my list.
Solstice
yay for the witch hunters!
Zazen
QUOTE (Aidley)
oh, and a big HI to the grammar/spelling nazis out there. this isn't a thesis, I'm not being paid to write this. if you haven't got anything better to do than pick on a typo then what does that say about how much time you have on your hands?

I genuinely thought that "bot barrels" was some slang I didn't know about, not a typo. Even when I figured it out I didn't pick on it; I make typos all the time.

if you haven't got anything better to do than whine about nonexistant hassling then what does that say about how much time you have on your hands? sarcastic.gif
moosegod
More like the a....

must.... not.... insult faceless....
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 28 2004, 11:38 PM)
sarcastic.gif WTF? He cry's like a baby cause his poor little thread got answers he didn't ask for. OMG. Then bitches cause it doesn't die when he wants it to? sarcastic.gif
WTF?

Your grammatical error rate is up. Are you ok?

~J, genuinely wondering.
Nikoli
That gives me an idea for the wish list... Allow the thread creator to close a thread
Fortune
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Allow the thread creator to close a thread

The thread creator in no way owns or controls a thread. Quite a lot of informative posts are made in threads after the original topic has been answered. I, for one, would not like to see that feature implimented. If threads need to be closed, an Administrator will see to it.
Nikoli
But there have been several that ask a quick question that get's answered in like 1 or 2 posts without much opening to broader discussion.
Siege
And they die a natural death on their own without originator control or moderation.

-Siege
Nikoli
Like I said, it's a thought. Maybe the originator could mark a flag that the topic is covered and the admins can close when they wish.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Like I said, it's a thought. Maybe the originator could mark a flag that the topic is covered and the admins can close when they wish.

Which wouldn't happen. The admins have already stated that they prefer not to close topics if at all possible. Topic drift is not seen as a reason unless the drift strays from Shadowrun altogether for a long period of time.

~J
moosegod
For some of these threads, that's a LONG time, actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012