Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Martial Arts Spellcaster?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
Ive been toying with the idea of a martial arts practitioner who uses the strikes of unarmed combat to deliver Touch ranged spells.

AFAIK, you cant cast a spell and do an unarmed attack at the same time but I'm not real familiar with martial arts in Shadowrun. Is there a way to make this work that I'm missing?
Abschalten
QUOTE (Socinus @ Jul 13 2010, 12:25 AM) *
Ive been toying with the idea of a martial arts practitioner who uses the strikes of unarmed combat to deliver Touch ranged spells.

AFAIK, you cant cast a spell and do an unarmed attack at the same time but I'm not real familiar with martial arts in Shadowrun. Is there a way to make this work that I'm missing?

It's workable. I would recommend going Mystic Adept for it. You could take Improved Ability: Unarmed to help you deliver the touch-based spells. Say, maybe 1 Magic point into that so you can get +2 Unarmed. Then you could max out Magic and still have 5 Magic to help you get off the spells. Then you can go 5 in Spellcasting and 5 in Unarmed in chargen to have good pools for succeeding at both parts of that test.

You won't have to rice out your drain stats so much since the drain values on touch-based spells are SUPER DUPER LOW.

As a MystAd you have plenty of growth in either your adept or magic side. And you can dabble or specialize as you see fit. The best of both worlds for the concept if you ask me.

Also you can try to snag a sustaining focus and take the Improved Reflexes spell (I think that's what it's called) so you can beef up your initiative passes. That'll help you kick more ass.

Edit: And I totally missed part of your question. As for touch-based spells, the Unarmed+Agility part where you try to touch them is considered to be part of the spellcasting attempt, part of the same Complex Action. So if you attempt to touch a guy and you make the roll, then you can make the spellcasting test to do the damage.

If you want martial arts to help you out, pick arts that give you stuff like +1 die to Unarmed Attacks. The +1 DV-type bonuses won't help you much.
Socinus
Could you cast a spell as part of an unarmed attack that causes damage or do those have to be separate actions?
IKerensky
Separate action, you try to "Touch" or you try to Hit. Cant do both. Look at the shock gloves rules.
Emy
I'm pretty sure you can deliver a spell with a headbutt or kick. You get an unarmed attack as part of the spellcasting complex action, and while only trying to touch someone (no damage) gives you a +2 dice pool modifier to the attack, there's no reason you can't give your spells a little more... force. The non-magical kind.
Abschalten
You can't do damage with an unarmed attack AND do damage with a spell. You either hit to damage with your fists or you try to touch with the spell.
Shinobi Killfist
I believe in previous editions you were explicitly allowed to hit and deliver the spell at the same time. The benefit of just touching was it reduced the TN to hit. In SR4 touch attacks give you +2 dice(since its a static TN) and you can not do both at the same time. If I were to do this I'd likely specialize in touch attacks with my unarmed combat skill for an additional 2 dice. They never really explain though how touch range indirect attacks work so good luck.

Basically with a direct spell it is easy if you successfully touch, you cast the spell like normal. Indirect, well normally they get to try and dodge the attack but now they are dodging the touch, do they also get to dodge the spell discharge like they normally could if it were ranged. This does not come up with direct spells since there is no dodge part if its ranged. And since damage is increased on the magic part of the spell being cast and not the touch delivery it leaves an area of uncertainty.

Basically normally I fast clout I roll spell casting+magic and I get 4 hits, they try to dodge and get 2 hits so I have 2 net hits increasing my force 7 spell to 9DV which they then resist.

The touch range clout, punch I think. I roll unarmed+agility+2dice for touch spell+2dice for specialty get 5 hits they get 3 hits on there reaction+unarmed so 2 net hits. All I needed was 1 net hit the rest of the hits do nothing for me. Now I cast using spell casting+magic and get the same 4 hits as the previous example. Difference is if they are not dodging it now I have 4 net hits and hit for 11DV. If they are dodging it I do the same damage as the previous example, but this is just a crap ton of rolling and while thematically cool is slowing down the game too much.
Mäx
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 13 2010, 08:50 AM) *
The touch range clout, punch I think. I roll unarmed+agility+2dice for touch spell+2dice for specialty get 5 hits they get 3 hits on there reaction+unarmed so 2 net hits. All I needed was 1 net hit the rest of the hits do nothing for me.

Actually you don't even need that 1 net hit, tie with the opponent is enought.
Wasabi
Dont forget that touch spells get a 2 extra dice to land the blow since you only need to touch the target. Tai Chi adds to Force of Will attacks which with a high Willpower can be a handy way to hit an all-astral target without buying levels in Astral Combat.
czarcasm
There are some sample builds for this kind of concept in this thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...8&hl=touchy

In that thread, Falconer pointed out that touch-attack spellcasters can readily get such high dice pools that they can effectively do multicasting. I think that there's a quality that lets you do melee attacks on multiple opponents in one pass.
Belvidere
Personally, I wouldn't go with using martial arts to try and get touch spells to land instead, I'd just use the Elemental Aura spell from Street Magic

[Element] Aura (Environmental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
This spell creates a rippling aura of elemental energies
around a subject’s body. Each element requires a different
spell (Flame Aura, Electrical Aura, Cold Aura, etc.). This fiery
aura does not affect the subject, but increase the DV of any
melee attacks by the caster’s hits. Attacks are treated as Cold,
Electricity, Fire, or some other elemental damage (see p. 155,
SR4, and pp. 164–165 of this book), as appropriate to the
aura, and are resisted with half Impact armor.
Any successful physical melee attack against the subject
also means that the attacker must resist similar damage from
the aura. The aura’s Damage Value equals the spell’s Force.

Plus start throwing around Elemental Walls and using Shape Element, you could get some pretty cool fighting scenarios going on. Imagine Avatar:The Last Airbender grinbig.gif
Shinobi Killfist

i tried to build an element aura type it was hard due to the plethora of stat requirements. You need decent body since you are in the thick of things, good agility to hit, good strength so the base damage does not suck, decent to good reaction so you can block a punch with something other than your chin, and then you need your spellcasting stats. It might be doable as an orc or dwarf, maybe troll but it was damn hard as a human.
Nifft
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jul 13 2010, 12:22 PM) *
Personally, I wouldn't go with using martial arts to try and get touch spells to land instead, I'd just use the Elemental Aura spell from Street Magic

[Element] Aura (Environmental)
Type: P • Range: LOS • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 3
This spell creates a rippling aura of elemental energies
around a subject’s body. Each element requires a different
spell (Flame Aura, Electrical Aura, Cold Aura, etc.). This fiery
aura does not affect the subject, but increase the DV of any
melee attacks by the caster’s hits. Attacks are treated as Cold,
Electricity, Fire, or some other elemental damage (see p. 155,
SR4, and pp. 164–165 of this book), as appropriate to the
aura, and are resisted with half Impact armor.
Any successful physical melee attack against the subject
also means that the attacker must resist similar damage from
the aura. The aura’s Damage Value equals the spell’s Force.

Yeah, this. You can go 1-2 Magic for casting, pick up a Sustaining Focus 3, and take a Mentor Spirit who boosts your Manipulation spells (+ specialize in Manipulation once you get 2 karma). With the right Mentor Spirit you can even benefit from Summoning nice force 3-4 helpers at 1 Magic.

Pick up one ranged combat spell (e.g. Stunbolt or Manabolt) and a few utility Manipulation spells that you won't need to cast in combat (e.g. Fashion, Alter Memory, Influence, Sterilize, Shapechange).
Nifft
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 13 2010, 07:38 PM) *
i tried to build an element aura type it was hard due to the plethora of stat requirements. You need decent body since you are in the thick of things, good agility to hit, good strength so the base damage does not suck, decent to good reaction so you can block a punch with something other than your chin, and then you need your spellcasting stats. It might be doable as an orc or dwarf, maybe troll but it was damn hard as a human.

Yeah, Ork is good. Don't put a lot in Strength. It's very cost-effective to pick up Critical Strike 5 for 1.25 PP (plus Improved Reflexes 2 for 2.5 PP = 3.75 PP, that's .25 PP left over for something ultra-sexy like Sustenance).
sn0mm1s
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 13 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Actually, you don't need good STR if you are a mystic adept. You don't need any good physical stats if you can cast Shapeshift (you just lose armor).

Mystic Adept
STR 1
Magic 6 (5 towards adept powers, 1 point towards spellcasting)

3 Levels of Martial arts that give damage value as a bonus.

*IF* you are using the latest FAQ you are limited to Force 2 spells and maximum of 5 levels of an adept power. If not, then bump Critical Strike to 6 and you *could* have up to +6DV from Elemental Aura as well. The breakdown below is using the FAQ.

If you overcast elemental aura you can get 2 hits.
Adept powers: Improved Reflexes 2 (2.5 pts), Heightened Concentration (1 pt), Critical Strike 5 (1.25 pts), with a left over .25 (maybe for Penetrating Strike)

Your minimum damage on a strike if you have 1 STR is:
1 (for 1 STR)
2 (for elemental aura)
5 (for Critical Strike)
3 (for Martial Arts)
1 (for the 1 net hit)

12 DV for 1 net hit is pretty good. Not to mention that the elemental effect *halves* armor and affects spirits (so you don't need Killing Hands) and generally has a secondary effect - I like Sound, Electricity, and Acid.

With Heightened Concentration you can also add in +4 DV and ignore the -4 penalty for a Called Shot - which puts you at 16 DV on a 1 net hit punch, that halves armor + elemental effect.
Laodicea
It's a good build for getting some good unarmed damage. It would probably end up fairly lacking in the tanking department, which is important if you're going to be charging gun-users and in the thick of the fight the whole time. Its also going to be low on dicepool for unarmed attacks. To fix this, you might want to drop most of the critical strike and take combat sense instead.

Nothing that I have said above is valid if you 1. use shapeshift at high force or 2. use a possession spirit on yourself.
sn0mm1s
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 13 2010, 11:27 PM) *
It's a good build for getting some good unarmed damage. It would probably end up fairly lacking in the tanking department, which is important if you're going to be charging gun-users and in the thick of the fight the whole time. Its also going to be low on dicepool for unarmed attacks. To fix this, you might want to drop most of the critical strike and take combat sense instead.

Nothing that I have said above is valid if you 1. use shapeshift at high force or 2. use a possession spirit on yourself.

The dicepool for unarmed attacks is going to be at least 13 if you are an ork or human. Also, if one wanted to be more of a tank you can cheese the encumbrance rules with Heightened Concentration and wear 12 armor above your max (normally giving a -6 penalty which can now be ignored). Combat Sense is a great power but generally not worth the points at character creation.
Nifft
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Jul 14 2010, 01:06 AM) *
*IF* you are using the latest FAQ you are limited to Force 2 spells and maximum of 5 levels of an adept power.

Like I said in the other thread... IF the FAQ is supposed to change rules (rather than clarifying them), then maybe... but that was a FAQ to a rule that existed in 4e, so there's a good chance it just got left in place when the 4e20a stuff got added.

That's two big "if"s: whether the FAQ is supposed to change rules, and whether that particular FAQ item has anything to do with "the latest".

(My personal advice is to ignore the FAQ until they get the 4e/4a stuff sorted out. Blatant contradiction of current rules isn't a FAQ answer, it's a rules change -- update, errata, whatever you want to call it. It's a change, not a clarification.)

- - -

Anyway. Here's what I came up with for this dude:

[ Spoiler ]
Fyndhal
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 13 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Anyway. Here's what I came up with for this dude:

Couple questions:
Why Killing Hands? Elemental Aura will give you essentially the same effect when it is up. Is it just for those times when you need to be...more subtle than being a flaming ork?
The Synaptic Booster is nice, but it is cheaper to get sustaining focus and the improved reflexes spell. Yes, there are issues with Foci but are those truly worth the magic loss?
Nifft
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Jul 14 2010, 04:44 PM) *
Couple questions:
Why Killing Hands? Elemental Aura will give you essentially the same effect when it is up. Is it just for those times when you need to be...more subtle than being a flaming ork?
The Synaptic Booster is nice, but it is cheaper to get sustaining focus and the improved reflexes spell. Yes, there are issues with Foci but are those truly worth the magic loss?

Re: Killing Hands - Yes (subtlety can be quite a virtue), and to pierce a Spirit's immunity (which your Aura should help do, but it never hurts to have a backup plan if you meet a really high Force horror), and to turn your aura's Electrical damage back into Physical.

Re: Synaptic Booster - IMHO subtlety is very valuable, and going from invisible to OH MY GOD HE'S PUNCHING A DRAGON TO DEATH in one IP (out of three) is better than wasting a whole combat round + one IP casting TWO buff spells. (He needs to cast & sustain Elemental Aura already.)

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I don't like to assume a PC can walk around with Improved Reflexes up all the time, and I don't like the idea of starting combat without any kind of IP booster (unless you're a Summoner).
sn0mm1s
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 14 2010, 01:58 PM) *
Re: Killing Hands - Yes (subtlety can be quite a virtue), and to pierce a Spirit's immunity (which your Aura should help do, but it never hurts to have a backup plan if you meet a really high Force horror), and to turn your aura's Electrical damage back into Physical.

Re: Synaptic Booster - IMHO subtlety is very valuable, and going from invisible to OH MY GOD HE'S PUNCHING A DRAGON TO DEATH in one IP (out of three) is better than wasting a whole combat round + one IP casting TWO buff spells. (He needs to cast & sustain Elemental Aura already.)

Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but I don't like to assume a PC can walk around with Improved Reflexes up all the time, and I don't like the idea of starting combat without any kind of IP booster (unless you're a Summoner).

This is why the adept power at level 2 is superior - it is always on.

With a level two sustaining focus you can have +2 DV elemental aura up and you can cast invisibility on yourself and ignore the penalty with Heightened concentration (or switch it around if you want it doesn't really matter). The only thing that is going to see you is a drone or someone astrally perceiving - and the astral perceiver would be able to recognize you as awakened anyway and the drone is likely to see you no matter what you cast the spell at due to object resistance tests.
Nifft
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Jul 14 2010, 05:07 PM) *
This is why the adept power at level 2 is superior - it is always on.

With a level two sustaining focus you can have +2 DV elemental aura up and you can cast invisibility on yourself and ignore the penalty with Heightened concentration (or switch it around if you want it doesn't really matter). The only thing that is going to see you is a drone or someone astrally perceiving - and the astral perceiver would be able to recognize you as awakened anyway and the drone is likely to see you no matter what you cast the spell at due to object resistance tests.

Absolutely. If you can afford the 2.5 pp, the adept power is awesome.

If you can't afford the 2.5 pp, the Synaptic Booster is a fine substitute.

IMHO a force 2 Invisibility is useless. If he's limited by the 4e faq ruling (as opposed to the 4a rules), then he's better off putting 2 points of his magic into casting, so he can hit force 4. Same deal with Spirits: getting to force 3 is a big deal, and force 4 are what you want for combat.

If he's using 4a, then he can hit force 4 without casting 2, so then he's less constrained. (I think this is what he said he is using: 4e/20a, not 4e FAQ.)
Mäx
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 15 2010, 12:59 AM) *
If he's using 4a, then he can hit force 4 without casting 2, so then he's less constrained. (I think this is what he said he is using: 4e/20a, not 4e FAQ.)

I would think that its safe to assumune that the latest errata of the rules is beign used when answering, unless specifig house rules are mentioned(like using FAQ rulings)
sn0mm1s
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 14 2010, 03:59 PM) *
Absolutely. If you can afford the 2.5 pp, the adept power is awesome.

If you can't afford the 2.5 pp, the Synaptic Booster is a fine substitute.

IMHO a force 2 Invisibility is useless. If he's limited by the 4e faq ruling (as opposed to the 4a rules), then he's better off putting 2 points of his magic into casting, so he can hit force 4. Same deal with Spirits: getting to force 3 is a big deal, and force 4 are what you want for combat.

I thought Force 2 invisibility would be useless too... but for most builds getting 2+ hits on a willpower roll is less likely than 1 or less. Even so, he isn't using the FAQ.
Nifft
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Jul 14 2010, 06:20 PM) *
I thought Force 2 invisibility would be useless too... but for most builds getting 2+ hits on a willpower roll is less likely than 1 or less. Even so, he isn't using the FAQ.

Depends. If you're being looked at by one guard with a 4 Willpower, he's got a 30% chance of noticing you. If you're being looked at by three guards each with 4 Willpower, there's a 66% chance at least one notices you.

Basically, for all-or-nothing spells, you have to make each individual very unlikely to pass in order to have confidence that NOBODY will. Invisibility is an all-or-nothing -- unlike Mob Mind where you can just have your enslaved minions shoot the few with free will first.

QUOTE (Mäx @ Jul 14 2010, 06:05 PM) *
I would think that its safe to assumune that the latest errata of the rules is beign used when answering, unless specifig house rules are mentioned(like using FAQ rulings)

There's been errata for 4e/20a?
iategod
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 15 2010, 02:24 AM) *
Basically, for all-or-nothing spells, you have to make each individual very unlikely to pass in order to have confidence that NOBODY will. Invisibility is an all-or-nothing -- unlike Mob Mind where you can just have your enslaved minions shoot the few with free will first.

So what is the recommendation for invisibility? 6 hits?
Nifft
QUOTE (iategod @ Jul 14 2010, 10:35 PM) *
So what is the recommendation for invisibility? 6 hits?

My recommendation would be 4 hits, if you're not expecting to face anyone with Counterspelling, and 6 hits if you do expect to be counterspelled.
Mäx
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 15 2010, 05:24 AM) *

no, the 20a is the latest errata.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Nifft @ Jul 14 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Depends. If you're being looked at by one guard with a 4 Willpower, he's got a 30% chance of noticing you. If you're being looked at by three guards each with 4 Willpower, there's a 66% chance at least one notices you.

This has always been an issue for me for virtually every game system with perception checks. When sneak past a group you have to do absurdly good, just due to dice mechanics since with enough people rolling someone will succeed and spot you. SR's current mechanic is better than some since you can get hits to the point group of mooks can't spot you fairly easily, and the way hits work you can get it to the point it is highly improbable even easier. The more recent versions of D&D though since they rely upon a swingy d20 roll you can be bob the master of stealth and still get spotted by random security patrol because they just roll 10 times. In earlier days of D&D it was not an opposed test, you hit your % to hide and move silently and they did not see you.
Badmoodguy88
What about sustaining multiple elemental auras that are not blatantly contradictory. Like fire and ice, but you could do something like sound and lightning, or blast and fire. Then when you just touch and opponent for casting a touch spell it should do the elemental damage as a bonus.

It still would probably be worth it to be a mystic adept for reflex boost.

Also why is there no mana aura spell? Like elemental aura but does mana damage. I could see the spell being abused but it seems like it should still be able to exist withing rules.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (sn0mm1s @ Jul 14 2010, 01:31 AM) *
The dicepool for unarmed attacks is going to be at least 13 if you are an ork or human. Also, if one wanted to be more of a tank you can cheese the encumbrance rules with Heightened Concentration and wear 12 armor above your max (normally giving a -6 penalty which can now be ignored). Combat Sense is a great power but generally not worth the points at character creation.

Actually for unarmed combat 13 dice is a small pool. It is the one area where the opposition gets a skill+stat pool on defense without needing to go on full defense.

Sure you will usually hit, and yes you will usually avoid some of the penalties like cover , but you can frequently bump into opposition dice pools in the 10ish range which gives them a decent chance to block the punch. And unlike guns since this is a complex action you don't get a second shot in a pass to get a hit.

Damn now I am thinking about a variant spell for element aura but applying it to thrown weapons and bows.
Nifft
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 15 2010, 11:48 AM) *
This has always been an issue for me for virtually every game system with perception checks. When sneak past a group you have to do absurdly good, just due to dice mechanics since with enough people rolling someone will succeed and spot you. SR's current mechanic is better than some since you can get hits to the point group of mooks can't spot you fairly easily, and the way hits work you can get it to the point it is highly improbable even easier. The more recent versions of D&D though since they rely upon a swingy d20 roll you can be bob the master of stealth and still get spotted by random security patrol because they just roll 10 times. In earlier days of D&D it was not an opposed test, you hit your % to hide and move silently and they did not see you.
Yep. But the flip side is that you want guards to not be entirely useless, or most installations become cakewalks. Same goes for combat: if it's impossible for a mook to hit, mooks cease to be a threat at all, and then you're playing a Supers game. (Which is fine, too. But it's not my idea of Shadowrun.)

In this regard, though, the mage has a huge advantage over the mundane infiltrator. The mage only rolls for his stealth once, and that means he can use Edge to buy more dice for his roll, pushing it up to levels that it's unreasonable for any mundane guard or sensor to hit. As usual, the countermeasure for magic is magic (and grenades).
Badmoodguy88
I think you can cast elimental aura on a sword or an arrow but the problem becomes how do you hold it or shoot it. You could get some gloves with good isulation and I think some adept power helps with it too.

What I think is a better solution is to be a posession mystic adept with points in quick draw and throw. Then you summon a possesion spirit to inhabit your funky 10 pound metal javalins. While in the javalin it makes the javalin immune to normal weapons and and I am sure you could make an armored javalin. I was thinking something like an arodinamic bar of rebar with a tip. The siprit slams into the enemy with the force of a cannon. Like a bolt of lightning. It gets past resistance to normal weapons, cuts the armor rating in half, and keeps zaping away at the enemy until they die or pass out then it travels through astral to jump into another javalin. Or maybe it could use a spirit power or spell to return its self or the mage could. Because it would be all one combat I think it would all be one service. You would just tell the combat spirit that this is the battel plan.

What would be cooler than Zues raining down bolts of lighting?
Mäx
QUOTE (Badmoodguy88 @ Jul 16 2010, 12:27 AM) *
What I think is a better solution is to be a posession mystic adept with points in quick draw and throw. Then you summon a possesion spirit to inhabit your funky 10 pound metal javalins. While in the javalin it makes the javalin immune to normal weapons and and I am sure you could make an armored javalin. I was thinking something like an arodinamic bar of rebar with a tip. The siprit slams into the enemy with the force of a cannon. Like a bolt of lightning. It gets past resistance to normal weapons, cuts the armor rating in half, and keeps zaping away at the enemy until they die or pass out then it travels through astral to jump into another javalin. Or maybe it could use a spirit power or spell to return its self or the mage could. Because it would be all one combat I think it would all be one service. You would just tell the combat spirit that this is the battel plan.

Thats in no shape or form a single service.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012