Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: guns from astral space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ting-bu-dong
Hi,
we were playing Shadowrun last night and one question from a player came up and since nobody in our group really knows much about astral physics, I thought I post it here to see what others think of it.

Basically, in the material space everything with mass is solid and energies are not. In the astral space, awakened life is solid but mass is not.

Therefore, there are no guns in astral space. But would this hybrid approach work:

If you coat a gun with awakened dual matter, like a liquid that contains awakened bacteria or so, and use capsule ammunition filled with the same material, could an astral body be able to hold the dual matter and therefore the gun as the gun sticks to the material part of the dual matter? This would allow an astral body to carry this gun which would effectively be dualnatured. Therefore security guards would have to face a floating gun without a visible wielder.

Now, if the ammunition was filled with dual-natured matter too, would an astral body that is hit by this ammunition be harmed as well? Could security guards use capsule ammunition filled with awakened matter to get rid of astral intruders?

The question came up because there is only one character with astral mobility in the group and as an elk shaman he is not very skilled at astral combat. Unfortunately, the main antagonist behind the scenes is an ant shaman that likes to lurk on the astral plane.

Would this work?

tbd
Herald of Verjigorm
No, you cannot hurt an astral spirit by shooting it like that. There is no inertia on the astral, so the damage a bullet causes does not exist in that plane. Also, life is not astrally solid in 3rd edition.

The only solid astral material (besides wards) are mentioned in Target: Awakened Lands.
John Campbell
Personally, I don't see any reason that a warded bullet wouldn't do damage on the astral. There may not be any inertia on the astral, but there is on the physical plane, and the astral form of the wards are directly tied to the physical form of the bullet. Having a ward forced through you doesn't seem like it'd be a lot more fun than being forced through a ward. Best case, it'll push you in front of it at bullet speeds until either it hits something on the physical and stops, or you hit something on the astral and those forcing through barriers rules come into play again.

The astral gun, however, I'd rule against. The way I figure it, if you project with it, the astral form will simply project along with you, and the physical form will stay with your body. This will not produce a usable astral gun, because pulling the purely astral trigger with your purely astral finger won't actuate the physical mechanism any more than it causes your physical finger to move. And even if it did, the bullet wouldn't come out the astral barrel, it'd come out the physical one near your body.

Alternately, you could try to pick the gun up after projecting. Your astral form can't apply force on the physical plane, however, so the physical weight of the gun will pull it down though your hand... and we get to play with the forcing through barriers rules again.
Entropy Kid
No, it wouldn't work. Only magical gear (foci etc) go with a character during astral projection. It's also just the magical form of the object, not the physical. An object coated in a dual-natured substance could be used to stop astral fast movement, but not cause damage. If the object were enchanted it would respond to astral combat, but again couldn't be used offensively.

Note, my interpretation of this isn't logical nor based on reality. In the examples of pressing through barriers the ward is bigger than the astrally present character, and the character is moving toward a stationary barrier. MitS pg 83 gives the rules and examples. If an astrally present character fails to completely pass through a barrier they have the choice (if capable) of projecting--essentially getting pushed out of their own body.

Back on topic- a ward on a bullet would only be as large as the slug. If it came into contact with an astral character/spirit, and if one couldn't pass through the other (failed test) they'd just "slide" against one another and the astral bullet would push the projection/spirit asside and continue on its way (probably going off course itself), no damage.
Lilt
I'd say No to focus-guns (it's explicitly stated that the nature of the astral plane precludes the use of ranged weapons) but yes to dual natured bullets (active sustaining foci) doing damage to astral entities. I would, however, say that the damage done by the bullet would be based on astral combat with the sustaining focus's strength rather than the inertia of the bullet.
toturi
I'll say no to guns as a foci as you have described it. But a yes, to warded bullets. The bullet would push through an astral form, and do damge that way. Theorectically, it is akin to making a very small ward and go running into that ward. You will take damage.
Entropy Kid
The target would make a Charisma (Force) test needing success equal to half (rounded down) Force of the bullet-ward. If enough success is made, the ward passes through the target, no problem. If it did get enough success, damage would be (Force*2)D Stun resisted with Willpower (quoted-extrapolated pg 83 MitS) or maybe it'd be disrupted. You'll have to decide if extra net success on the attack do anything.

Now, what happens when a warded physical bullet hits a physical (shapeshifter, cyberzombie, etc.) dual-natured being? A successful Charisma test can't allow the ward to pass through, unless the physical bullet also passes through. If the hit from the weapon is completely soaked does the ward effect the target at all? What about a Light wound? What if the target takes a Serious physical wound (bullet penetrates body?), but passes the Charisma test--they are now only part way through the barrier. Do they engage it in astral combat now? What about initiates with Masking metamagic or spirits with the Aura Masking power (pg. 88 MitS)?

Things to think about if implementing this.

edit-accuracy
Nikoli
Another thought, with the FAB coated weapon, you might be able to cast magic fingers fromt eh astral plane and bring it along with you.
Cochise
QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
An astral "bullet" coudn't be a foci of any kind, once it lost contact with whoever it was bonded to it would immediately deactivate.

*Wrong* The focus deactivates once it loses contact to its target (where in most cases that target also is the person who bonded the focus) ...

You could however use a bullet as sustaining focus that sustains a spell cast onto the bullet itself (like a "silence spell" to remove sound emission the bullet would normally create) ... But who has actually got a minimum of 15kĄ per shot and the karma to bond such a focus?
Because once used, the bullet will be "destroyed" and the foucs as such as well ...

John Campbell
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Another thought, with the FAB coated weapon, you might be able to cast magic fingers fromt eh astral plane and bring it along with you.

Can't do it. The caster and the target have to be on the same plane. In this case, you'd be trying to affect the physical form of the gun on the physical plane with a spell cast on the astral. Doesn't work.

You can't use Magic Fingers for anything from the astral, actually. It's a physical spell, so it doesn't affect astral forms, and you can't cast across the plane barrier, so you can't affect physical forms either.
Kanada Ten
Best case, it'll push you in front of it at bullet speeds until either it hits something on the physical and stops, or you hit something on the astral and those forcing through barriers rules come into play again.

That could only work if the astral being was surrounded by a barrier, like a fab net. There is no resistance in astral space, nothing to slow forced movement. The bullet would simply displace the being instantly. IMO
BitBasher
The bullet would simply displace the being instantly. IMO
And since astral beings move at the speed of thought, that would do a whole lot of both jack and Squat, with some extra Zilch for added effect.
moosegod
QUOTE (Cochise)
QUOTE (Entropy Kid)
An astral "bullet" coudn't be a foci of any kind, once it lost contact with whoever it was bonded to it would immediately deactivate.

*Wrong* The focus deactivates once it loses contact to its target (where in most cases that target also is the person who bonded the focus) ...

You could however use a bullet as sustaining focus that sustains a spell cast onto the bullet itself (like a "silence spell" to remove sound emission the bullet would normally create) ... But who has actually got a minimum of 15kĄ per shot and the karma to bond such a focus?
Because once used, the bullet will be "destroyed" and the foucs as such as well ...

Well, I don't think that would work, since the bullet has no aura to bond to.
Kanada Ten
BitBasher
And since astral beings move at the speed of thought, that would do a whole lot of both jack and Squat, with some extra Zilch for added effect.

I don't understand what you mean. What would do nothing?

Astral beings move their form at the speed of their thought. But if a fast spirit held a slow one, could the faster not move the slower spirit at the higher rate? I say it can. There is no limit to the highest astral speed because no laws inhibit movement when no obsruction is present.

I view the leading edge of the ward hitting the astral being and pushing it aside at the same time unless something prevents the form from moving.
toturi
So if a warded vehicle runs into an astral form city spirit, who moves? Which is the irresistable force and which is the immovable object?
Kanada Ten
Asking me? The city spirit. Unless it trys to force itself though the Ward, which it can do.
Large Mike

I thought this was covered way back when someone came up with the FAB bat. I believe there were rules made specifically for this kind of thing to not work because it's unbalancing.
moosegod
Balance? bah! Who wants balance?
Entropy Kid
and to complicate things further...

The only existing mechanic for foci is backwards. If the bullet were made into a focus (sustaining, self-targeted as Cochise pointed out) it would be the focus and not the spirit-character-whatever that makes a test at Force (barrier read: thing-being-shot's Force); success equal to half or more Force of thing-shot causes the bullet to pass right through. Less than that and the focus is deactivated. No success and it's deactivated and the thing-shot gets to attempt to destroy the the focus' enchantment. Additionally, what's the force of the barrier? For a spirit I guess it'd be...it's force, but what about magically active characters or critters; Magic or Essence?

That mechanic is no good since everything would be astrally "bullet proof." High-force (in relation to the target) foci would pass through and low force would deactivate. I guess medium force foci would be deactivated, but rarely be destroyed.
Cochise
QUOTE (moosegod)
Well, I don't think that would work, since the bullet has no aura to bond to.

Unfortunately the "aura" as such is not the target of a spell wink.gif Otherwise you couldn't even cast spells against physical objects.
Not even Mana-Spells: The aura is something that exists only on the astral as some sort of mirror picture (and is still intangible there). Spells however only exist on the plane that they're cast on.

The focus would be bonded against it's creator, but the spell would be cast against the bullet.
Since the bullet itself would also be the focus, it would not lose contact to its target
moosegod
No, I mean that you have to bind a foci to you to use it. Then you have to use it on something living (your mates, etc.)

Bullets aren't alive, and hence have no aura.

Physical spells still work because they cause physical alterations magically.
BitBasher
I don't understand what you mean. What would do nothing?

Astral beings move their form at the speed of their thought. But if a fast spirit held a slow one, could the faster not move the slower spirit at the higher rate? I say it can. There is no limit to the highest astral speed because no laws inhibit movement when no obsruction is present.

I view the leading edge of the ward hitting the astral being and pushing it aside at the same time unless something prevents the form from moving.
I meant the astral form of the warded bullet pushes the astral form harmessly out of the way.
Cain
You *could* make the bullet an anchoring focus; but like everyone said, all it would do is displace an astral entity.
Cochise
QUOTE (moosegod)
No, I mean that you have to bind a foci to you to use it.  Then you have to use it on something living (your mates, etc.)

The use of foci is not restricted towards living beings as their targets ...
You could, put a sustaining focus on the floor and cast "Shadow" over the area surrounded by that focus and then have the focus sustain that spell.

Or can you provide a source telling otherwise?

Bullets aren't alive, and hence have no aura.

Which only means that he potentially uesed spell has to be a physical one ...

Physical spells still work because they cause physical alterations magically.

Lucky me that the "Silence" spell is a physical one ... *Though there are other reasons within the rule why this particular spell might not work*
Zazen
QUOTE (Cochise)
Spells however only exist on the plane that they're cast on.

That's a subject of great debate, though. Not everyone agrees with that, nor should they. IMO it causes contradictions later down the road.
Cochise
QUOTE (Zazen)
That's a subject of great debate, though.

I'd say that the plane that they "exist" on (in terms of "where can they be dispelled, etc.") isn't very debatable, at least the only solid information on that (albeit being an "ingame article") is page 161 of SR3.
The question is rather if the place where they cause their effect will be limited to the plane that they are cast on (and thus "exist") ...

Not everyone agrees with that, nor should they. IMO it causes contradictions later down the road.

All that just because of Mana Static? biggrin.gif
The Jopp
My opinion on Weapon Foci.

Ok, first of all, what is a weapon foci? It is a magically bonded item that responds to the character, making him/her "one" with the weapon, enhancing the characters understanding and use of said weapon.

Second, it can hit and wound astral beings due to it's astral connection, ignoring their invulnerability to normal weapons.

Now thing's become a bit confused. According to Canon you CANNOT use a ranged weapon as a weapon foci, why? Game balance since they assumed that everyone would walk around with astral assault cannons and make mincemeat out of every GM monster they could find. wobble.gif

Why should one NOT be able to make a weapon foci out of a ranged weapon? The character gains a bond with the itemm in question, the weapon becomes even more of an extension of the character instead of just a weapon, thus enhancing his or her skillwith the weapon.

So, what would the pros and cons be of an ranged weapon foci?

1. Enhanced skill (Force rating of foci equals amount of extra D6 of skill)

2. No extra damage (the GUN is a foci, the BULLETS are not, astral creatures still gain their invulnerability.

3. Cheap, almost, a pistol would be a reach 0 foci and could be used as the skill "Clubs (Pistol butt) and a rifle would be Reach 1 and the skill Polearm.

So, the character would only gain SOME of the bonuses unless using said gun in close combat.

Conclusion

Personally I *would* allow a ranged weapon foci with the above restrictions and possibly add 1 to the reach of the weapon when calculating cost, it's to good otherwise.

I don't want to see a beginning adept with a F6 pistol foci slinging 12-24D6 with improved skill at the beginning of the game.
Zazen
I'd say that the plane that they "exist" on (in terms of "where can they be dispelled, etc.") isn't very debatable, at least the only solid information on that (albeit being an "ingame article") is page 161 of SR3.

But they can be dispelled on any plane that the target is present on. An astral mage can cast a mana spell on a dual creature, and it can be dispelled by a purely physical mage. All that's required is that the dispeller and the target share a plane. So saying that they exist where they can be dispelled is a bad idea.

Not everyone agrees with that, nor should they. IMO it causes contradictions later down the road.

All that just because of Mana Static? biggrin.gif

Plus Spell Shield/Wall and Spirit Barrier, yeah. nyahnyah.gif
Cain
Ok, first of all, what is a weapon foci? It is a magically bonded item that responds to the character, making him/her "one" with the weapon, enhancing the characters understanding and use of said weapon.

Second, it can hit and wound astral beings due to it's astral connection, ignoring their invulnerability to normal weapons.

Yes and no to both. It's a magically-bonded item that gives the user increased skill with the weapon. It's also an "abnormal" weapon. The exact mechanisims you describe may or may not be how they actually work, though.
So, what would the pros and cons be of an ranged weapon foci?

1. Enhanced skill (Force rating of foci equals amount of extra D6 of skill)

2. No extra damage (the GUN is a foci, the BULLETS are not, astral creatures still gain their invulnerability.

3. Cheap, almost, a pistol would be a reach 0 foci and could be used as the skill "Clubs (Pistol butt) and a rifle would be Reach 1 and the skill Polearm.

So, the character would only gain SOME of the bonuses unless using said gun in close combat.

Well, yes... but the thing here is, it would only confer increased skill in melee combat. So, I would charge base price for anyone who wanted weapon foci pistols; but they'd only gain benefits if you're pistol-whipping people. In ranged combat, they'd get none of the foci benefits.

The Jopp
Ok, according to canon you can ONLY use it in Melee. Then I have another question, how does one explain the increased skill? I can understand the extra DAMAGE in CC but skill?

Why wouldnt the user gain the same skill bonus with a ranged weapon when making a ranged attack, he is still holding on to the weapon, in just the same manner as one would hold a sword, nor is there a contact with the opponent when you make the attack test in close combat, you still get a bonus for using the actual weapon.

I don't really get that part, WHY can't you get the skill bonus for a ranged weapon. If they call it game balance i would call it illogical. Sure, the damage would be the usual one but still, the skill should apply since you are using a familiar weapon that has been bonded to you. If I use my bonded crossbow to hit an apple at 50 paces or skewer it with my spear at two paces away then the skill bonuses should apply. indifferent.gif
BitBasher
I don't really get that part, WHY can't you get the skill bonus for a ranged weapon.
Well becasue technically by canon only a melee weapon can be a foci in the first place.
Cain
I don't really get that part, WHY can't you get the skill bonus for a ranged weapon.

Couple of reasons...

First of all, technically only melee weapons can be enchanted into weapon foci. The reason why this application is technically legal is that MitS makes it clear you can potentially enchant anything into anything. In a rules collision, the sourcebook wins out.

Second, no weapon focus gives a bonus to two skills. It only adds dice to the one "appropriate skill"-- which can vary dramatically; the "weapon focus shock gloves" is a classic example-- but it can't add to two skills. If you allowed it to work for both ranged and melee combat, you'd have a huge game balance issue.

So, you have to restrict it to one skill. Since weapon foci can't really be ranged weapons, it ends up having to be a melee skill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012