Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
SinN
Sense Motive Roll
Hits-4
Fails-1
Roll= [2,3,2,6,6,6,1,2,5,4]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3027628/
fistandantilus4.0
Sinn is difficult to read, except that Jake knows him. He looks more than a little desperate, the edge creeping into his expression. More than that though, he doesn't look as surpised as one might think at being told they were being set up.
SinN
Jake sighs.

We never did think with the upstairs brain did we? Alright, just tell me whats in the safe, perhaps we're both after the same thing. We can get it, and bail Sinner. Im sure if I searched this mans mind I can find a back door or something we can sneak out of. We're gonna get out of this, we always do, remember? We're good at cheating death, why not the cops? Who you gonna trust Sinner? A Johnson, or yourself?

Memory test
Roll= 3 hits, 1 failure

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3098978/
fistandantilus4.0
[ Spoiler ]

Etiquette Test -2
SinN
Ettiquite test
5 hits, 1 failure[/color]

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3100305/
fistandantilus4.0
Finally the elf shrugs.
I suppose there's no reason not to tell you. You may be just about as crazy as I am, so when you find yourself in good company...

Woman I know, Voodoun priestess named Midnight. She said I could find a hat here ... my son Gabriel's hat. It's just a little old thing ... something he used to wear a lot. Loved that damn thing. But she said it would be here. Guess it was sold at a yard sale or something ridiculous like that.

Roll sense motive

SinN
Jake raises an eyebrow.

Gabes hat? He was wearing that hat when he died...?

Midnight eh? Not what Id expect. Considering she helped me get here. But the hat was incinerated. Im confused. Are you part of the voodoo posse?

Sense motive test
6 hits, 1 failure

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3104724/
fistandantilus4.0
From Sinn's expression, he really doesn't know much about it. He seems as though he's going on a slim hope.

Wait ... how do you know about the Posse? And don't give me some line about being me. There's only one me. Me. You know what, I don't wanna know. This is nuts enough as it is. Leave it as enough that a lady that knows things like this said that the hat would be here. So I need to get into the vault.

Roll memory test
SinN
Memory test
5 hits, 2 failures

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3106062/

Don't be dense, Sinner. I know because you know, how often must I explain this? Crazier things have happened to us. I mean, how else do you explain Sirene falling for us? Not for our winning personality. Now stop being a child and awnser the damn question. The quicker you help me, the quicker we get outta here with the hat.

He pauses a moment.

Know what? Fuck it, mind probe me. Then you'll know I'm not lying to you. Id feed you the memories myself, but it seems my power is no good here. So help me Gheed, if you try anything else though. This body may be frail, but trust me, Ive picked up a few tricks of the mundayne that I know you haven't though of...yet
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Reaction
SinN
Reaction test
Hits-1 success
Failures-1 Failure

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3108643/

Burning a point of edge to re-roll Failures
Hits-2 hits
Failures- 0 Failures

Total Hits- 3
Total Failures- 1

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3108651/
fistandantilus4.0
Jake is slapped and hard, sent reeling by the volatile elf's hit.

Who the fuck do you think you are, you arrogant ass!?

He throws his hand out, slamming Jake into the wall, holding him there. Jake recognizes the angry glint in his eye, and knows long minutes of agony are only a wrong word away.

You know, I'd almost think you were me, with that smart mouth.

Sinn stalks closer, Jake still pinned to the wall. He examines him like a fly stuck to paper.
Tricks huh? Ok, what have you got mundy? Let's see it? Oh yeah, that's right, you got nothing. Why? Because you're a little snot banker, and I'm the scary robber. So stop running your damn mouth and try and keep yourself alive a little longer. 'Cause I'm losing interest in the idea. You're beginning to be more trouble than you're worth.

You don't tell me what to do. No one does. Let's get that straight. Then maybe. maybe you can go back to the idea that you'll be living through the night. Got it?
SinN
Jake remains completely calm. And speaks slowly. Carefully choosing his words.

Just look Sinner. Look into my mind. See the Hell Ive seen. Know that I'm not lying to you.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Composure Test
SinN
Composure test
Success= 7
Failures= 2

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3113336/
fistandantilus4.0
Jake manages to calm himself, his composure apparently havin a bit of an effect on the elf as well, as Sinner calms a little, his raised hand cmoing down, Jake sliding back down off the wall.

This isn't Karl Kombat Mage man. It's not all mind reading and flying around. Except, you know , what you just did .... sorry about that. I'm just ... this means everything to me. Kind of a last ditch thing you know.

At the mention of the hat again, Jake remembers what he'd been thinking about a moment ago before he slipped and the elf went berserk. The bank has recently purchased an art display for charity, titled After midnight, a display of small figures partying it up after Mardi Gras, wit ha bit of a dark creole bent. It had been put into one of the side halls though because it's dark theme had begun creeping people out.
SinN
I understand Sinner. I would've done the same thing. Now that I think about it, the exact same thing. Look, Im sorry for the freak out. If you could only understand how frustrating.....

Just then, the memories return to him. He remembers signing the papers, approving the piece. The complaints of how they spooked the empolyee's. And moving it to another spot.

He looks up at Sinn.

I think Ive just remembered something important. Come with me. They recently bought an art piece called After Midnight. Its a display of a few small figures partying it up after mardi gras. But it had a bit of a dark theme to it and it was bothering some of the employess, so it was moved. I think we might find something there that can help.

Jake begins to lead the way and says over his shoulder before he opens the door.

We can check on the others as well while we're passing by.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Leadership

[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Leadership roll
-1 roll for charisma
3 hits
0 failures

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3134228/
fistandantilus4.0
Sinn looks hesitant, but then finally gives a slow nod that breaks into that grin again.
Well sure, fuck it. We're just sitting around here. Coulnd't hurt to look.
The excited look in his eye belies his half-assed agreement.

The two leve the room, Jake leading the way, heading down the halls of the bank. Sinn stops in the check on the hostages, finding everyone more or less where he left them. The looming hulk of a spirit in the air, black and glowering, probably helps.

Between you and me, the spirit's just an illusion. Works pretty well though.
He gives a mischevious wink and keeps moving.

In a minute they arrive at the display, a garish display of child sized figures with skulls, bones, party hats and streamers. Its anyone's guess why anyone would think the quiet horror of the display would go well in a bank which is how it ended up in the hallway in the first place. Sure enough, the dancing figure representing Baron Samedi wears a top hat that isn't a solid piece, connected to the fiure like the rest. For a long moment, Sinn just stares.

Jake ...Grab that will 'ya.
SinN
As they pass the lobby:

An illusion. I could've guessed. Say what you want about Jakob Sinner of the past, but he was a clever bastard when he was in a jam.

As they enter the room, Jake watches Sinn's reaction intently. Seeing what could be considered desire, in his eyes.

I know that look Sinn. And the fact the you didnt barrel past me to grab it yourself also says somethin. Know somethin I dont?
fistandantilus4.0
He hesitates only a moment.
No ... apparently not. Just ...

Jake can see the pain in his eyes, a memory he's fighting with, wrestling to stay under control. His hand is trembling, as if he can't bear to touch it himself.
SinN
Jake slowly understands. Its been much longer for him to greive. He places a hand on Sinns shoulder.

I've had much more time then you, friend. I understand how you feel. Ill get it.

Jake walks to the model and takes the hat of the Baron figurine.

Would this be what you're looking for Sinner? It must be.
fistandantilus4.0
As soon as Jake touches it, there is a scent to the air that he recognizes. It fills his nostrils, a old familiar horror suddenly at the forefront of his memory. Burning wood, burning hair, burning flesh, the New Orleans night air, so rich and thick, filled with the smell of his dreams burning away.

There's a feeling of heat, like a furnace suddenly yanked open, and a spinning disorientation. As Sinn tries to right himself, he finds himself again in the long cavers of the Land Below, still holding the beaten and burned top hat, small, made for a child.

Hey there Sug'.

Another memory. A familiar voice, and a taste in the mouth that seems to accompany it. The memory of one bottle after another, and the condemnation of a woman he respected.
Bourbon.

Been a long time. I see the Devil Man sent you back to take care of some "unfinished business".

Bourbon, short, curvy, deadly Bourbon saunters out of the darkness, a smile on her face, but a wary look in her eye.
SinN
Sinn stands for a moment. Shifting his stance. Unsure if he should be on the defensive or not. He keeps his hard stare, directed right at Bourban.

Bourban. He says it more so that he can absorb whats going on around him. To make sure she doesnt disappear as soon as he aknowledges her presence, like in a dream.

Is it really you? Really you, you? He reaches out to touch her.
fistandantilus4.0
Bourbon shies him off short of touching her.
Easy there Sug'. This is more like 'show 'n tell' than 'touchy feely'.

She smiles, but it doesn't quite touch her eyes.

I'm as much here as you are. Difference is, I can leave. You gotta see this thing through, one way or th' otha.

Let's be clear, I'm not here fa you. A'm here for Dante and Gabriel. There's two ways this thing can go, and one is gonna leave you and Dante 'ere, rottin' in this hole, whilest our dear boy Gabriel runs around his home town in your meat suit.

So ... gotta minute ta talk ta Momma Bourbon?
SinN
Ofcourse, Momma.

Sinn crosses his arms. But shifts out of a defensive stance. He feels no reason to fear Bourban. Though his face may not show it. He is releived she is there with him, even if its just for the moment.

I have every intention of freeing both of them. Sirene as well. Im the entire reason they are here. Its my fault, therefore, its all on me to set things right. I may not be able to fix the laundry list of things Ive destroyed. But I can do this. I WILL do this. Just tell me what I need to do.
fistandantilus4.0
Bourbon nods, a slight smile across her lips.
Good to hear you more acceptin'. Have to face those demons b'fore ya' beat 'em.

Where you're goin', it's anotha' "place". A step in your journe' through the planes. A special place. They call it "Death's Masquerade". Not a lot o' people know 'bout it. Less know how ta' get there. The rules a' simple.

One goes in, and the masquerade goes on 'til midnight. Ya' have until then ta' find the soul yer lookin' for. Don't find 'em befo' midnight, your soul belongs ta' Death. Pick the wrong one, and that spirit takes yer body.

Dante and Gabriel 'll be there, waitin' for ya. Ya' can talk to 'em, but no askin' direct questions. That's one o' the rules. But ye' can talk. Figu'r out which is which by way o' how they talk, how they act. The charms ya' have, they'll help ya' find Gabriel. And let me tell ya' sug', he's angry.

Ya' want ta' save yer boys, take Dante out first. I love that boy Gabriel, but he's too angry. Ya' need leverage. Ya' need Dante out, and ya' need the charms. His hat, his raddle. His brother. Otha'wise, soons' he's out, that boy'll kill you, and damn his brotha'. Get Dante, then Gabriel.

Any questions?
SinN
What about Sirene?
fistandantilus4.0
I think ya' know that ans'a ta that suga'. The Baron keep he' closest. He'll be waitin' for ya'. Make sure you make it there.

Gabriel has tried ta' possess Dante in the world before. He'll try ta win out ova' his brothe' in the Masquerade. If ya' want ta' save ya' family, Dante first. Then my dear Gabriel. Then Serene. Each thing in it's time.
SinN
I understand. Once again Reme', you've saved the day. Sinn attempts a half-hearted grin.

I will get them out Momma. With or without me, they are getting out.
fistandantilus4.0
Bourbon smiles, a rare, genuine smile at the 'Momma'.

Good luck down the'e sug'. Ya' gonna need it.

At that the figure of the cajun dissapears into the darkness, leaving Sinn alone in the cavernous depths again. As the darkness and silence sets in, Sinn begins to hear a sound just at the edge of hearing. Having only one direction to move, forward, he moves into the darkness.

There's dark, and then there's dark. As an elf who can see in almost no light at all, that kind of darkness can be daunting. As he moves, the sound slowly becomes more audible, until he can discern the sound of music ahead. It's light, string insturments with gentle flute, the sound of chamber music. He can almost feel it drawing him. If nothing else, it at least gives him a direction in the perfect darkness, the only orientation he has.
SinN
Sinn hears the music, and tries to follow it. Seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, he can't help but luagh at the irony in his mind. As he gets closer, the lights and music get nearer.

Thirty years ago, I might've enjoyed this.
fistandantilus4.0
Sinn follows the sounds until he can see light ahead spilling through the frame of large ornate doors, easily twelve feet tall. The double doors are beautifully carved, reminiscent of a renaissance palace, the music from within matching the style, although with a more haunting tone.

As he approaches, the doors open on their own, filling the corridor with a cool light. Within is a swirl of color and motion as dancers twirl and boy, costumes and dresses everywhere, the high ceiling draped with chandeliers and candles all along the walls illuminating the revelry within. The ballroom before him is massive, the size of a modern day convention center, stretching farther back than he can see, what must be easily thousands of dancers pressed in, jostling each other. The crowd is festive and active, moving this way and that, so tightly packed that those that must move through do so sideways, sliding between revelers. All except for the dance floor, which has a respectful amount of space.

Besides the massive crowds and buffet tables, two other features dominate the grand room; a massive throne at the far end, so black it seems to absorb the light, and a clock of monumental proportions, its hands easily twice as long as a troll at the center wall, slowly ticking away the hours. The room filled with music and song, and the occassional strained laughter, Death's Masquerade has begun.
SinN
Well, isn't this a nice little gathering of the angry dead....sweet band name.

Sinn begins to make his way into the party. Strangely comfortable with his soroundings. Twenty-five years among the damned changes your perspective a bit. He starts searching for Dante right away. Looking for anything to set him apart from the crowd.

Perception test
hits-4
fails-2

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3263700/
fistandantilus4.0
Music of the most chilling type fills the massive dance hall, not loud but somehow everpresent. The warm candelight leaves the high ceiling in darkness, despite the chandeliers, the candles insufficient to hold back so much.

Dancers dip and swirl whole hundreds of others move about in the thick crowd, each costume fantastically dark. To the left is a woman in a plain white porcelein mask, red and white feathers cresting from the top, her long black hair hanging down her back. A wide gown of red, with long red gloves sets a hard contrast to the white. To the right is a man shrouded in a deep black cloak, only a slim black domino mask showing beneath the cowell. Ahead, a pair of what Sinn can only assume to be women move in tandem in long white robes, with black beneath, their masksof white showing no features save lips done in black, tall feathers rising off the tops as before. Not all of the revelers wear the more classic carnivale masks and attire.

Here and there are very different figures, one with a masque of a grotesque clown, another garbed as a massive yeti, with bestial tusks and thick fur. Another, wearing only a plain, long white robe, has a massive mask shaped as a dragon's head, the sort from a high end Halloween store. Sinn would have a better chance with the proverbial needle.

As Sinn observes the crowd, a figure in thick, luxurious robes with a stark white maskmask approaches, moving through the crowd. Coming to the edge where Sinn is still lingering, he bows with a flourish, his eyes however remaining riveted to Sinn.

Welcome he says, his voice deep and strong to Death's Masquerade. Come in. There are certainly many eager to see you. Perhaps ... I can be of assistance?
SinN
Sinn observes the man, a touch cynical, however, with a dash of consideration.

Perhaps you can, stranger. Something to call you by would be helpful, to start.
fistandantilus4.0
The figure rises, wagging his finger in a *tisktisk* waggle.
Names are not a practice here. Something you'll soon come to discover. It adds to the mystery. But for you, I will exempt myself. You may call me "Swain". I've looked forward to our reunion, these many years. You and your allies killed me, atop my own lair. The image of you above my bleeding corpse was what led to the bounty on your head, adn you're eventual death. Extremely gratifying, that was. The once dragon even sounds like he's smirking beneath his mask.

And so now, I have died, and you have died because of me. My sense of poetic justice is fulfilled. And I find ... I am not as vengeful as I once was. It is difficult to raise the passion of true hate from beyond the grave. I simply do not have the energy for it. But, if you will allow, I'll accompany you for a time. I do have an interest in seeing whether or not you survive your own adventures.

Shall we?
He asks, indicating the swirling crowd.
SinN
Sinn listens to the once-dragon with no emotion showing on his face.

Im happy that I could please you, even in death. You may walk with me. Is his only reply during the conversation.

Once Swain gives the signal to move. Sinn follows him into the party.

It has begun.
fistandantilus4.0
How inviting... Sinn can almost see the serpents smile through the mask.
Death's Masquerade is ... not so much a place ... as an oppurtunity. An ancient pact. Ancient from long before even I was born. The shades here are very interested in your presence here. This "place" has not been remembered by mortals for a long time. Most have given up hope. You'll find only the desperate and the predators remaining. Those whose spirits remain close to the world anyway. Revenants. Wraiths. Specters.
SinN
I can imagen. I suppose I can guess why Im so popular. I sent more then my share to an early grave, regretfully.

Sinn walks the crowd, attempting to gain some kind of bearing.

Im sure there isn't chance you can give me any advice, Swain? Im sure you know of whom I look for here.
fistandantilus4.0
Swain shrugs. The deaths you may have caused are less than a drop in the ocean. This is a place of the dead, not your dead, although a few spirits may be drawn by your presence. That is the nature of the Place. Those you are connected to strongly will be drawn here. They will seek you out. Some may not even remember why.

But all the world's dead pass through here . Or may, if they choose, and gather the strength. It will not likely be swarming with your enemies. You may even have friends here.

As for your path, that is for you to decide.
fistandantilus4.0
As the music transitions, a woman in a large, flowing crimson dress and a mask of gold, red and white swirls of colors approaches and bows, those around making a little space.
Good sir the woman says in a voice that seems almost familiar, but at the same time distant, as if a whisper. It has been some time. May I have this dance. Again.

Swain bows out, a hand on Sinn's back for only a moment.
Remember, no names. That breaks the Pact, and you will fail.
SinN
!!!!

Sinn takes a moment to observe her. Get any detail he can. Hair color, skin tone if any is showing, even body language and her voice.

That voice..

Sinn holds out a hand to the strange woman.

Do not say her name.

He guides her to a spot, and begins to move with her. Somehow, easily flowing to the music.

When was the last time we danced like this?
fistandantilus4.0
The mask covers her mouth, but he can see the smile behind it in her eyes.
Mmmm.. I think ... the boy's birthday. Just us four. It was lovely. You looked so handsome. So strong. Such a good father.
SinN
That last sentence seems to cut him deeper then he could imagine.

You're lying. I was nothing of a parent without you.

He turns her, swaying her to the music. Realizing how difficult it is to look away from her eyes.

You know what Ive come here to do. I cannot take you with me yet. But I will, soon.
fistandantilus4.0
Roll Perception
SinN
Perception Roll
Hits-6
Failures-0

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3298263/
fistandantilus4.0
At "You're Lying" her eyes go wide with fright, his dancing partner quickly recomposing herself as he continues. Her eyes are smiling back at him again a moment later.

What ... do you mean you can't take me with you?How ... how much longer am I suppose to suffer here Jacob?! You can't just leave here like this. I'm your wife. You're wife!

Her grip on his arm hardens, nails almost digging in through the jacket, clinging to him.
SinN
Sinn stops moving.

Got ya.

Sinn's voice loses its soft tone and returns to its natural deep, low, grumble. His eyes return to serious, though he can't help but look deep into hers. Even though they're not hers.

Wether you're really her or not, you failed as soon as you spoke. She would've never said that I was a good father. Not on her friendliest day. And she certainly wouldn't claim that she was my wife so diligently. If she really is in there, give her a message. I will free her. She will walk the earth once more, that I promise. Wether its with me is entirely up to her. I just can't free her now. Our boys need me. Now,I'll ask that you let go of me now, stranger.

He gives her a moment to release her grip.

And she hated red.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012