Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Paracritters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Stealthroach
The Stealthroach is natures improved version of the [i] Periplaneta Americana[i]. The awakened version have improved it’s ability for survival by becoming almost invisible.

This metagenic change is not without drawback as the critter becomes dual natured instead.
Physical Attributes: As Cockroach
Powers: Concealment, Dual Natured

Zoomtipedes
This awakened variant of some of the local cterpillars have gathered some unusual abilities. They can move at tremendous speed – not without their drawbacks.
Physical Attributes: As Caterpillar
Powers: Movement
Magic: 1-3

Stone Spider
The stone spider is a hunting spider that can take on prey far larger than itself. Due to it’s massively armoured shell it is somewhat slow. It has been known to survive being run over by trucks.
Attributes: As Common House Spider
Powers: Granite Skin (3/3), Natural Venom, Fangs

Static Mouse
The Static Mouse is a common grey mouse with abilities similar to the electric eel.
Attributes: As Mouse
Powers: Shock Frills 5S (e)

Blindbug
The blindbug is an awakened form of the common Firefly and have improved it’s mating signal into a defensive device that it can use to blind predators.
Attributes: As Fly
Powers: Flash Grenade (Centered on Blindbug)

Horde Rat
The horde rat have a unique way of dealing with overwhelming odds, it creates more of itself.
Attributes: As Rat
Powers: Innate Spell, Double Image

Mimic Wasp
The mimic wasp is an insidious insect that change it’s appearance and mannerism to get close to any pray it decides is a good host to lay it’s eggs inside.
Attributes: As Wasp
Powers: Shapeshange (restricted: Insect)

Harem Spider
The harem spider tend to live within anthills and have a perpetual aura that compels other ants to assist it – even if it means being eaten by it.
Attributes: As Spider
Powers: Innate spell: Control Pack (restricted: Ants)
Karoline
Very cool stuff. I totally want a pet static mouse (And I promise not to keep it in a small ball and then throw it at people wink.gif )
The Jopp
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 26 2010, 02:37 PM) *
Very cool stuff. I totally want a pet static mouse (And I promise not to keep it in a small ball and then throw it at people wink.gif )

>_< I should have seen that one coming a mile away.
SkepticInc
This reminds me of a run I did right after Year of the Comet came out, and I had some fun with SURGE. Here's a few more for you:

[EDIT]: removed critters that weren't small paracritters.

The Worm that Walks
The Worm that Walks is, on an individual basis, no different from a normal earthworm. They become a problem when they exist in groups, and they very rarely exist in any other form. The Worm that Walks is a sentient paracritter, but only when the swarm has at least a Body of 2 (Using Biodrone swarm rules from Augmentation p155). Their mental attributes are one less than their physical attributes. There are rumors that some swarms are magically active and can disguise themselves as metahumans, infiltrating metahuman society.
Physical Attributes: the Worm that Walks has a Body of 1 when there are at least 10 members, a Body of 2 when there are 100, and +1 Body every doubling after that to a maximum of 5.
Critter Powers: All Worm swarms have Sentience (requires at least 100 members), and there have been reports of Worms manifesting a number of other powers, including Engulf, Regeneration, and Sorcery.
CanRay
Wait... You figured out a way to improve COCKROACHES?

Damn... I thought they were pretty much the perfect, neigh-unkillable species already. Just above Bikers.
Karoline
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 26 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Wait... You figured out a way to improve COCKROACHES?

Damn... I thought they were pretty much the perfect, neigh-unkillable species already. Just above Bikers.

They're somewhat less unkillable than most people think, but still quite hardy. Thankfully concealment is only -1 DP per magic, but those little buggers can already be hard to see anyway.
CanRay
And that's why you secure your emergency rations in your Bolthole in something that's hard to chew through. Like Ammo Boxes.

See, another reason to buy ammo in Bulk!
SkepticInc
Esophodominate
An Awakened parasite, the Esophodominate's life-cycle requires it's eggs to mature in the gut of a different type of creature than it normally lives inside of. When it is time to make some babies, the Esophodominate gets it's host to do stupid things until it dies horribly. The scavengers that feast upon the dead body are the fertile grounds that the eggs need. Once the scavengers have ingested the eggs, they hatch and mature. In order to survive, the new Esophodominate is passed in the stool of it's first host, and lies dormant until a suitable host gets near enough for it to influence.
Physical Attributes: Effectively none
Powers: Compulsion
Stormdrake
Jopp,
Really like alot of the ideas you have been posting. Am always coming up with new critters myself so the players have no real idea what they are faceing is capable of. Need to find and post my write up for "Blinker Beagles". Fun, friendly and totally annoying. Just like real beagles except they can walk through walls, lol
The Jopp
Accidental Bug
Accidental Bugs usually hunt Zoomtipedes but have a knack of creating havoc wherever they go.
Attributes: As Bug
Powers: Accident.
SkepticInc
Awakened Tiger Centipede
The Awakened Tiger Centipede is a canny hunter that can hang from a cave ceiling by half of its legs, dangling to catch a passing bat or hapless metahuman. It grows up to half a meter long, and has a paralytic poison that slows the metabolism of its victim, allowing it to hunt creatures much larger than itself and eat them over the course of weeks.
Physical Attributes: As dog
Powers: Natural Weapon, Venom (treat as Slab, Arsenal p76)
The Jopp
I just HAVE to add this one.

Headcrab
Headcrabs are an awakened species of coconut crabs with several abilities that makes it dangerous for lone travellers and swimmers.

It is smaller than the coconut crab but hides in trees and latches on to their victim by dropping from them and inserting an injection spike in the victims neck and connecting to the cerebral cortex.

Size: Slightly larger than a hand
Attributes: 2
Abillities: Control Actions, Compulsion
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 26 2010, 01:33 PM) *
I just HAVE to add this one.

Headcrab
Headcrabs are an awakened species of coconut crabs with several abilities that makes it dangerous for lone travellers and swimmers.

It is smaller than the coconut crab but hides in trees and latches on to their victim by dropping from them and inserting an injection spike in the victims neck and connecting to the cerebral cortex.

Size: Slightly larger than a hand
Attributes: 2
Abillities: Control Actions, Compulsion

Been enjoying those halflife games, eh?
The Jopp
Soultick
The Soultick is your average bloodsucking Tick with a twist. Originating in the Carribean and have now moved to several places around the earth and can be found in most woodland and grass areas – thankfully rare inside the major sprawls. They latch onto a victim in the same way as any normal tick.

Attributes: As Tick (that is, basically nil.)
Powers: Essence Drain (Drains 1 essence every 24 hours)

Note: Several ticks will only drop the timetable for essence drain. Two Ticks will drain 1 essence in 12 hours and so on. If removed before the time is up no essence drain will occur.
The Jopp
ZAP Fly
The ZAP Fly is a bizarre twist of nature that uses electromagnetic pulses to attract partners for mating, the drawback is that those pulses, weak as they are, have the ability to really screw up signals and disrupt those parts of electronic devices that are non-optical.

The worst part is that the damn bugs are attracted by other electrical fields, both those generated by vehicles and drones and of all things, technomancers.

Abilities: Any device, drone, antenna, vehicle that the fly lands on is subject to a rating 4 Gremlins as long as they stay there.
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 27 2010, 02:06 AM) *
ZAP Fly
The ZAP Fly is a bizarre twist of nature that uses electromagnetic pulses to attract partners for mating, the drawback is that those pulses, weak as they are, have the ability to really screw up signals and disrupt those parts of electronic devices that are non-optical.

The worst part is that the damn bugs are attracted by other electrical fields, both those generated by vehicles and drones and of all things, technomancers.

Abilities: Any device, drone, antenna, vehicle that the fly lands on is subject to a rating 4 Gremlins as long as they stay there.

Oh my. Yes.
Doc Chaos
"Why did you install this big EMP generator?" "Trust me. When you see them, you'll know." "What..." *Team Technomancer running by, flailing his arms wildly* "BUUUUUUUGS! BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGS!!!!" *EMP Blast* "This."
The Jopp
David Weber Spider
Unlike normal spiders the glue spider does not spin a web or hunt on the ground, it levitates at a chosen spot.

It chooses a good spot, levitates itself to the most efficient location and then sustains a net spell. It not an aggressive spider but can be troublesome to get rid off since anything in the area is stuck, regardless of walls and other obstacles in the way.
Attributes: Tiny tiny spider (0) Magic Rating 4
Innate Power: Levitate (self F4) Web (F4)
Doc Chaos
Ok, I'll bite. Why is it named David Weber spider? I know an Author by that name, but can't make a connection.

Oh and I am SO using these little buggers! biggrin.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Jul 27 2010, 01:35 PM) *
Ok, I'll bite. Why is it named David Weber spider? I know an Author by that name, but can't make a connection.

Well, the only relation to the author is the name (WEBer) otherwise it's just a spider name. For funs sake it's just the name of the explorer discovering the spider.

And yes, I have the entire Honor harrington series grinbig.gif
Doc Chaos
Damn language barrier. Didn't think of THAT wink.gif Did the explorer survive his discovery?

Damn, now I want a treecat... again... wait. Shadowrun. Treecats. Oooooooooh...
The Jopp
QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Jul 27 2010, 02:42 PM) *
Damn, now I want a treecat... again... wait. Shadowrun. Treecats. Oooooooooh...

Fixed that for ya.
Treecats at the bottom...
Doc Chaos
If I could hug you, know that I would love.gif
The Jopp
Power Plant
The power plant is an awakened weed that drains electrical energy through static connections to their target. Whenever a vehicle, drone or electrical appliance comes within 2 meters the plant can drain energy from the vessel. It also have the ability to store a limited amount of energy to discourage larger herbivores.

Attributes: 1
Powers: Weakness: Fire, Energy Drain (Electricity). Shock Frills (5S E). It drains about 1 hour of operation time per day.
eidolon
This thread is full of awesome and win.

Yoinking many critters.
SkepticInc
Chaos Butterfly
Sightings restrict this butterfly species to China, but it's effects have been know to cause problems all over the world.

Physical Attributes: none to speak of.
Powers: Weather Control
SkepticInc
Racing Snail
Unlike normal members of the Gastropoda taxonomy, the Racing Snail can move very quickly when motivated. Named after a snail from a flat-vid movie circa 1984.

Physical Attributes: None to speak of
Powers: Movement
Platinum
QUOTE (eidolon @ Jul 27 2010, 11:40 AM) *
This thread is full of awesome and win.

Yoinking many critters.

I have been sorting them into a file to make a little pdf out of them. We need more community projects.
eidolon
QUOTE (Platinum @ Jul 27 2010, 01:49 PM) *
I have been sorting them into a file to make a little pdf out of them. We need more community projects.

Heh, same. Not bothering making it too fancy, though. Just adding headers, applying styles, alphabetizing.

Yours'll probably be better suited for sharing, I'm just compiling for my own use. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012