Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Paracritters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Paranormal Animals – Common Ones

Shockwave Turtle
A rather common turtle that have an unusual way of defending itself. Whenever it is threatened it hides in it’s shell and starts very localized quakes.
Attributes: BOD: 4 AGI: 1 STR: 3 REA: 2 CHA: 2 INT: 3 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 3
Powers: Quake (Range: Magic Meters)

The quake ability on this turtle is in effect for as long as the turtle focus on it.

Soaring Seagull
The soaring seagull is a bloody nuisance as it hunts prey by levitating it. The ability have a rather short range but the animal is quick enough to fly over an area with prey, spot a target and levitate it.

Many of them have turned to become scavengers amongst human settlements and steal food from people by flying past them and snatching things up in the air to collect later.
Attributes: BOD: 2 AGI: 4 STR: 1 REA: 2 CHA: 3 INT: 1 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 1
Power: Innate Spell – Levitate (Range Magic Meters)

Wrecking Woodpecker
The wrecking woodpecker have evolved into becoming a living powerdrill that can punch through any material in the search of food. There have been reported deaths as people who have gotten to close to a woodpecker nest where the bird have defended her nest.
Attributes: BOD: 2 AGI: 4 STR: 1 REA: 2 CHA: 3 INT: 1 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 3
Power: Innate Spell – Shatter

Storm Albatross
The storm albatross is identical to the regular albatross with a small awakened difference. They have really become a true bad sign for sailors who nowadays makes all efforts to make sure that any one albatross that lands on their ship is well fed and not afraid or angry.
Attributes: BOD: 2 AGI: 3 STR: 2 REA: 3 CHA: 2 INT: 1 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 3
Power: Spirit Power – Storm (Used when threatened or pissed off).

Shadow Cat
The shadow cat is a very rare and elusive wild cat. It is an offshoot from the normal housecat and is an avid and effective hunter. The greatest cause of death amongst these animals are often roadkills as drivers don’t see them in the dark.
Attributes: As Dog
Power: Shadowcloak, Silence, Nocturnal, low light vision

Steel Wolverine
The steel wolverine is an even more ferocious animal than it’s mundane cousin.
Attributes: As Dog
Power: Killing Hands, Improved Ability Unarmed 3, Berserk, Penetrating Strike 3

Iron Moose
The iron moose is a very annoying animal for hunters as it is identical to a normal moose with a very irritating ability.
Attributes: As Moose
Powers: Regenerate, Mystic Armor 6
unsound
Oooh oooh, do Chill Penguin. smile.gif
The Jopp
The Chill Penguin (i've no idea what a Chill Penguin IS but here's my version).
The Chill Penguin is an awakened variant of the King Penguin (Aptenodytes Patagonicus)

The chill penguin have several noticeable abilities, especially innate spells of the colder variety. It is also fiercly territorial and a single penguin might not be a problem but anyone who angers an entire horde of penguins at one of their mating spots...

ATTRIBUTES: BOD: 3 AGI: 3 STR: 2 REA: 2 CHA: 2 INT: 3 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 3
POWERS: Innate Spells: Alter Temperature, Elemental Aura (Cold), Ice Wall, Ice Sheet, Ice Bolt
unsound
love.gif That beastie is so going into my games.
The Jopp
The Care Bear
The Care Bear is an awakened version of the American Black Bear and is a nasty piece of work as it can lure prey straight into it’s embrace.
Attributes: As Bear
Powers: Glamour, Compulsion
The Jopp
Chrome Rhino
The chrome rhino is a rather new development and seemingly arrived overnight after the comet passed. One morning inside the village of Towedo Tanzania a group of twenty five adult rhinos had appeared with an assortment of younger rhinos.

The panic that ensued from the villagers ensured a swift death as all rhinos panicked and smashed the entire village flat, no survivors.

Appearance and abilities
The chrome rhino have become coveted prize amongst game hunters as it’s skin have a metallic sheen.

The chrome rhino have the ability to surround itself in a razorsharp shell of metal and move at incredible speeds, something often causing it’s own demise due to poor eyesight and poor ability to stop and turn quickly enough.

Attributes: BOD: 10 AGI: 4 STR: 10 REA: 2 CHA: 3 INT: 3 LOG: 1 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 0
Armor: 12 (Hardened Armor)
Powers: Movement, Elemental Aura (Metal)

Covert Man-O-War
A recent addition to the carribean islands. The covert man-o-war have gained the ability to fly through gaseous bladders inside it’s body so that it float across land and sea while leaving it’s tentacles free floating to capture prey and inject it with paralyzing and digestive poisons.
Attributes: 1 (It’s a jellyfish)
Powers: Concealment, Lighter Than Air (Flight)
Attack Powers: Neurostun

Mexican Banshee Monkey
Howler monkeys are a common sight in mexico but it seems that a new subspecies have interbred within the local groups and are virtually indentical to their mundane brethren.
The Mexican Banshee Monkey have an ability to use their very voice as an offensive weapon.
Attributes: As Monkey (Magic 4)
Powers: Sonic Boom
Anyone within 90 degrees of the monkeys LOS and within Magic X2 meters from the monkey takes a base damage of 4S (Sound) and can make a Reaction (2) test to dodge the attack. Monkey rolls Magic X2 Dice to increase the attack value as per SR4 rules.
Stahlseele
Doesn't Movement usually take care of stopping and turning quickly?
Fun stuff ^^
Lighter than air?
What and how does it breathe?
Also, it's gonna be everywhere soon, seeing how it's gonna be blown across the world by wind.
bernardo
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Also, it's gonna be everywhere soon, seeing how it's gonna be blown across the world by wind.

I had a bad encounter with a jellyfish when I was a child (the third degree burn kind) and this image of it hovering around with the wind just broght to life my worst nightmare. Thank you. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
*bows* i aim to please . . or to hurt, i don't care in most cases ^^
The Jopp
QUOTE (bernardo @ Jul 27 2010, 12:05 PM) *
I had a bad encounter with a jellyfish when I was a child (the third degree burn kind) and this image of it hovering around with the wind just broght to life my worst nightmare. Thank you. grinbig.gif

Interesting...

Any other nightmares I can put into print? grinbig.gif
Mesh
Metamucil Fly

A strong, burrowing insect, this awakened fly lives deep in the anus converting undigested corn and peanuts into gas to feed its larvae. Symptoms of infestation include the expulsion of poop from the anus at high speeds particularly after eating corn or whole peanuts. The infected have also reported an increase in incidents of sharting. Occasionally, a large, greyish-brown larva will be expelled from the anus. If left alive, it will convert into a Metamucil Fly in one week. The only known cure for an infestation is manual removal.

Attributes: BOD: 3 AGI: 4 STR: 2 REA: 6 CHA: 3 INT: 3 LOG: 4 WIL: 3 MAGIC: 0
Powers: Conversion of corn and peanuts into gas.
Habitat: The anus.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Mesh @ Jul 27 2010, 12:28 PM) *
Metamucil Fly

EEEEW!
Mesh
If I grossed out The Jopp, creator of the toilet-killer, I must be doing well.

Mesh
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Lighter than air?
What and how does it breathe?

It metabolizes lighter than air gases into bladders, enough to balance out the weight of its body. It can contract the bladder to balance its bouyancy.

It breathes by diffusion of oxygen molecules through its "skin".
The Jopp
Norwegian Weber Cat
The awakened form of the Norwegian forest cat have become as quite a surprise for their owners.

The new subspecies developed an extra set of limbs, opposable thumbs (Oh god…) and can ‘connect’ with their owners.
Attributes: As cats
Powers: Sapience (secret), Opposable Thumbs, Shiva Arms, Detect Enemies, Empathy.
Doc Chaos
Seriously, you need a page to collect all of this. Its great stuff!
bernardo
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 27 2010, 09:13 AM) *
Interesting...

Any other nightmares I can put into print? grinbig.gif

I remmember that after watchin Jaws I had dreams about a shark that could swim in solid asfalt and attack people in the sidewalks... but it could swim only in the asfalt, as if the streets were rivers. Thinking about that now, it must have something to do with adults saying "don't cross the street or a car will hit you".

And now I'm starting to remmember all the critters that used to stalk me when I was a child. I used to go often to the countryside and I allways loved to listen to stories. And for me, as a child, all the stories I heard from old people, tales from the brazilian folklore about monsters and ghosts, were true. So, just to name a few creatures I had to deal with in my childhood adventures:

- mula sem cabeça: headless mule that breaths fire (yeah, it breaths fire without a head!). The story says that the women that have sex with a priest turns into a mula sem cabeça. If you hide your eyes, nails and teeth it will pass by you and do no harm. The funny part is that people always tell the story of how dangerous a mula sem cabeça is but they never say how it kills someone. It's like in movies where they don't show the monster so it gets much more scary.

- boitatá: giant snake with fire in the eyes. You can see it from a distance at night in the fields because of the eyes. I remmember my uncle told me this story to make me stop going to the woods alone. It worked for a couple of weeks...

- saci pererê: a small elf or goblin who puts up small pranks like hiding domestic tools or tying knots in the horses' mane. He looks like a one-legged black child, has holes in the palms, smokes a pipe and wears a red cap. He is very agile and cunning, can shapechange into a small whirlwind and can become invisible. If you catch his red cap you can control him. Actually, there is a technique to catch him: you have to catch the whirlwind with a peneira de cruzeta (a sieve with a cross), grab the saci and put him in a bottle with a cross drawed in the cork. He will try to fool you by becoming invisible inside the bottle and, when you open it to see what happend, he scapes. Just found a wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saci_(Brazilian_folklore)

- mapinguari: looks like a bigfoot but it eats human flesh. You will not see it coming, the mapinguari will grab you while you walk in the woods and take you away under his arm. And it will start to eat you while running away, tearing pieces of you and eating as if you were a doritos bag in his hand.

- boto: a boto (river dolphin) shapeshifter. He seduces women when in human form. When a woman is pregnant and there is no father its because its a boto child. In humam form he dresses a white suit and a hat. The hat is to hide the breathing hole in his head.

- curupira: he is a guardian of the forests and makes the hunters get lost. His feet are turned backwards, so anyone trying to follow his tracks will go in the wrong direction. Sometimes he rides a wild pig.

Well, there are many others but I'm short in time now. Maybe I could create a thread about critters from Amazonia if there is interest.

(sorry about the grammar, my writing in English is a little rusty...)
Kumo
Metamucil Fly

Ideal for pink... err, brown mohawks game...
Doc Chaos
You brazilian people have... really strange stories wink.gif
Jhaiisiin
I'm surprised the chupacabra hasn't been statted up.
The Jopp
This one was easy.

The Mapinguari
The Mapinguari is a more primitive version of the Sasquatch situated in Brazil, a fast an efficient hunter on the move that is an expert on camouflage. Primary a carnivore and the brazilian government have posted bounties on these beasts as they tend to prey on people.
Attributes: As Sasquatch
Abilities: Adaptive Coloration, Celerity
The Jopp
The Forever Bat
The forever bat is a vampiric bat that lives across the entire north American continent. An awakened version of the common vampiric bat.
For the really unlucky people falling prey to these critters it can take a long time to get back into society and get rid of possible addictions.

It lands on a target, injects a Slab like poison, paralyzing the target and then the bat, and friends can dine on the target for day, or worse, weeks as they pour sustenance and heal into them.

The longest known surviving victim was a spelunker who was found after two months – he is still addicted to magical sustenance and slab after two years of therapy.

Attributes: Bat
Powers: Sustenance (Target), Heal (Target)
Toxin: Slab

*EDIT*
It is also known for transmitting several diseases from HMVHH to Rabies...
Stahlseele
Now THAT is something entirely believeable . .
So completely unsuitable for shadowrun ^^
The Jopp
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Now THAT is something entirely believeable . .
So completely unsuitable for shadowrun ^^

Added a little snippet at the end. rotfl.gif
bernardo
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 27 2010, 11:24 AM) *
This one was easy.

The Mapinguari
The Mapinguari is a more primitive version of the Sasquatch situated in Brazil, a fast an efficient hunter on the move that is an expert on camouflage. Primary a carnivore and the brazilian government have posted bounties on these beasts as they tend to prey on people.
Attributes: As Sasquatch
Abilities: Adaptive Coloration, Celerity

That's great!

I found a source in English about the mapinguari for you: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/08/world/am...mazon.html?_r=1

Reading the article I noticed that I forgot to tell about the stink and the bulletproof skin. But this thing about a mouth in the belly is something I never heard about. Maybe because the mapinguari is mostly an amazonian story and I live in the southeast of Brazil.
SkepticInc
Armordillo
This annoying armadillo creature seems to enjoy sunning itself in the road.
Physical Attributes: as dog
Critter Powers: Hardened Armor

Rascal Raccoon
This extremely annoying creature has been a bane on humanity since it SURGED and gained a thumb. There is a bounty on each pelt.
Critter Powers: none
SURGE attributes: Monkey Paw

Underwater Jaguar
This Amerindian mythological creature of the Mississippi River has recently been sited. Rumors that it eats babies have yet to be confirmed.
Physical Attributes: as great cat
Critter Powers: Dual Natured
SURGE attributes: Gills, Underwater Vision, Webbed hands and toes

Monkey-faced Goat
While not acting any different than a normal goat, the creepy look of a goat with a monkey face and extra long front legs hits people in a primal, visceral way. These tend to die when sited.
Critter Powers: none
SURGE Attributes: Metahuman traits (monkey face), Elongated limbs
SkepticInc
Hover Shark
This SURGED shark has massive pectoral fins that allow it to glide on the surface of water by beating its tail and "wings" at 70 times per second. Confirmed reports of the Hover Shark flying at up to 10 meters high, and can be airborne for more than 45 seconds. Unlike it's smaller, un-SURGED relative, the Hover Shark is very loud, and the buzzing of incoming Hover Sharks strikes fear into the hearts of the brave. Hover Sharks have been know to swarm smaller ships en masse, landing on-board and devouring everyone before flying back to the water.

Physical Attributes: As Shark
SURGE Attributes: Celerity, massively developed pectoral fins.
Mesh
Awakened Genital Wart

AGWs are extremely intelligent and multiply at an alarming rate around "infection sites" (your genitals!). They are able to swim across the skin allowing them to move from "infection sites" to suitable launch points like the forehead. From there they use their movement ability to leap onto the "infection sites" of prospective victims. They are impervious to all chemical, biological, and arcane forces. Their immunity to all weapons protects them from everything except knee-high socks stuffed with gravel, lead shot, or (if you can find them) pennies. Works written by this mysterious species are deeply philosophical, insightful, and highly sought after.

Attributes: All 3s and Logic 5
Powers: Movement, Xtreme Immunity, Deep Insight, Devastatingly Nasty Google Image Search (keyword: genital warts)
BookWyrm
Wasn't Lepus Caer-Bannog already done? (5 Karma points to the one who understand that little classification, and an additional 5 for posting the link).
Stahlseele
*throws a holy handgrenade of antioch*
edit:
also, you cheated, you statted up the handgrenade, not the bunny
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=593802
Deadmannumberone
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Jul 27 2010, 08:18 AM) *
I'm surprised the chupacabra hasn't been statted up.

Running wild, pg. 65.
Laodicea
Bugbear

A spirit of a bear totem tradition who has been violently corrupted by insect spirits. This creature has the appearance of a bear on a macro-scale, but get close and you will find that it's in fact nothing more than a buzzing swarm of insects.
Mesh
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Jul 28 2010, 01:37 AM) *
Bugbear

A spirit of a bear totem tradition who has been violently corrupted by insect spirits. This creature has the appearance of a bear on a macro-scale, but get close and you will find that it's in fact nothing more than a buzzing swarm of insects.

Combine that with this...
QUOTE (Mesh @ Jul 27 2010, 08:28 AM) *
Metamucil Fly

A strong, burrowing insect, this awakened fly lives deep in the anus converting undigested corn and peanuts into gas to feed its larvae. Symptoms of infestation include the expulsion of poop from the anus at high speeds particularly after eating corn or whole peanuts. The infected have also reported an increase in incidents of sharting. Occasionally, a large, greyish-brown larva will be expelled from the anus. If left alive, it will convert into a Metamucil Fly in one week. The only known cure for an infestation is manual removal.

Powers: Conversion of corn and peanuts into gas.

...and you have a truly corrupted paracritter! Good one, Laodicea!

Mesh
The Jopp
QUOTE (Mesh @ Jul 28 2010, 11:49 AM) *
Combine that with this...

I'll just add this one to 'the list'...

Metamucil Bearfly

A bear totem infused fly who has been violently corrupted by insect spirits. This creature has the appearance of a bear on a macro-scale, but get close and you will find that it's in fact nothing more than a buzzing swarm of strong, burrowing insects, this awakened fly lives deep in the anus converting undigested corn and peanuts into gas to feed its larvae. Symptoms of infestation include the expulsion of poop from the anus at high speeds particularly after eating corn or whole peanuts. The infected have also reported an increase in incidents of sharting. Occasionally, a large, greyish-brown larva will be expelled from the anus. If left alive, it will convert into a Metamucil Fly in one week. The only known cure for an infestation is manual removal.

Powers: Conversion of corn and peanuts into gas. Berserk.
Mesh
LOL
Inpu
Mm, need more from Native American myths.

Deer Woman

A humanoid critter that is well known in the NAN and less so in the rest of the North American continent, the Deer Woman is a shapeshifter that entices men. Their ability to change forms is imperfect, as seen by their deer eyes and the hooves they take great pains to obscure. They are surprisingly shy and will run away if their hooves are spotted before their prey gets close enough to pummel.

They are also surprisingly strong. When a victim gets close enough, they will drag them down and beat them to death with their hooves.

Deer Women are drawn to dances and cannot help but join stomp dances. They are considered a symbol of great personal transformation. Sometimes that transformation involves being beaten into hamburger, other times it is more of a metaphor. They eat Metahuman flesh, with a preference for males. These critters have become much harder to identify with the advent of SURGE.

Attributes: BOD: 3 AGI: 4 STR: 8 REA: 4 CHA: 6 INT: 4 LOG: 3 WIL: 5 MAGIC: 4
Powers: Shapechange (restricted: young woman, old woman, deer), Sapience, Influence, Mystic Armor 5
Weaknesses: Allergy tobacco (Moderate), Uneducated, Dietary Requirement (Metahuman flesh)
Note: Many Deer Women have the Adept or Magician Quality. They follow the Shaman tradition.
Straight Razor
Canus Lassius
This friendly meta-dog, always offers a surprise for the unaware. Its ability to communicate complex thoughts, and stories with a single bark are astonishing. As well as the fact that can inexplicably escape from any cage or trap
Notes: Lassius can assume mist form as a free action. allowing her to pass through any opening no matter how small. However this ability is broken the instant someone looks at her. Lassius then appears to be standing as if already there. the change is faster that the eye can follow.
Attributes: As Dog, int +3
Power: mind link(geas: vocalize), Mist form(geas: no one is looking), movement, innate spell: deflection, search

primate dorsalus exacerbation
This small monkey is a strange expression of the HMHVV. It torments it victims till they give in to frustration, allowing it to drain essence. It's home is the back of its current victim. Almost undectible, it has various powers enabling it to live unnoticed. little is known of this creature.

::EDIT search power added
Jaid
QUOTE (Straight Razor @ Jul 28 2010, 08:37 AM) *
Canus Lassius
This friendly meta-dog, always offers a surprise for the unaware. Its ability to communicate complex thoughts, and stories with a single bark are astonishing. As well as the fact that can inexplicably escape from any cage or trap
Notes: Lassius can assume mist form as a free action. allowing her to pass through any opening no matter how small. However this ability is broken the instant someone looks at her. Lassius then appears to be standing as if already there. the change is faster that the eye can follow.
Attributes: As Dog, int +3
Power: mind link(geas: vocalize), Mist form(geas: no one is looking), movement, innate spell: deflection,

primate dorsalus exacerbation
This small monkey is a strange expression of the HMHVV. It torments it victims till they give in to frustration, allowing it to drain essence. It's home is the back of its current victim. Almost undectible, it has various powers enabling it to live unnoticed. little is known of this creature.

canus lassius should also have the search power, shouldn't it?
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 27 2010, 03:55 PM) *
*throws a holy handgrenade of antioch*
edit:
also, you cheated, you statted up the handgrenade, not the bunny
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...st&p=593802

Yes, I know. I was looking for the bunny, not the HHG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012