Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sangre y Acero * Pit-fighting Arena *
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Simon Kerimov
Beneath the dark streets of Tenochititlan lie the bloodiest pit-fighting dens in the Sixth World. Unaugmented metahumans rarely last long in the gore-stained arenas, and combatants often introduce new and unusual cyberweapons to surprise their enemies and titillate the crowd. The fighters who have survived longest collect a body of tricks and techniques known as Sangre y Acero – Blood and Steel.
-- SR4::Arsenal : Martial Arts

********************************************************************************
*** SANGRE Y ACERO ***

GORK THE ORK VS CHALLENGER

********************************************************************************

CHAMPION (BY DEFAULT)

GORK THE ORK!

WEIGHING IN AT A HEFTY BODY 11, GORK WILL EAT YOUR FACE FOR DINNER!

THE ONLY 'WARE THIS MONSTER OWNS WAS TORN FROM THE BODIES OF HIS PATHETIC, DISGRACED OPPONENTS!

COME CHALLENGE THE CHAMPION AND DONATE YOUR BEST 'WARE TO

GORK THE ORK!
Simon Kerimov
LEAGUE RULES

• Almost none. Make whatever you want and as abuses become obvious, that tactic will be banned, and the user shamed.
  • As a pit fight, guns are discouraged, but there are no rules against them other than the booing of the crowd.

ARENA DESCRIPTION

Since Sangre y Acero is in Aztlan, it is going to be fought inside of a ullamaliztli, one of the ball courts for the mesoamerican ballgame. The ullamaliztli were used for playing the ballgame, for wrestling, and for festivals and parties.
  • Ullamaliztli have a length to width ratio of about 4:1, with smaller courts being about 16 by 4 meters with a 3 meter tall retaining wall.
  • At each end of the court there is an end zone about two meters deep, so the whole field looks like a giant "I".
  • Along the width of the court, there is the 4 meters of flat area that is the playing alley, and beyond that the sides are sloped up to the height of the 3 meter retaining wall at some angle depending on construction (there did not appear to be a rule on how steep to make it). Lets go with 4 meters on either side, sloping up to the 3 meter retaining wall, so the angle is about 37 degrees.
  • At the end zones, the 3 meter retaining wall is vertical.
  • In the middle of the playing alley, at the top of the slope are large stone rings that have a hole slightly larger than a metahuman head. These are the goals, and the size is not accidental.
  • The playing alley is dirt or grass, and the walls are masonry (Object Resist of 2).
  • Surrounding the court area are structures for spectators to sit in, raising the height of the court by another 2 meters. Those 2 meters are adorned with tzompantli, or skull racks (Object Resist of 1).
Traul
Are spells allowed?
Doc Chase
ZAIUS WHERE DID YOU GO
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Jul 29 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Are spells allowed?

By the current League Rules, yes.

Also, who is Zaius?
Simon Kerimov
CURRENT CHAMPION

GORK THE ORK

[ Spoiler ]
Doc Chase
DrZaius, who ran four Fight Night threads to see who would win with some basic unarmed combat matchups.
Traul
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Jul 29 2010, 09:15 PM) *
CURRENT CHAMPION

GORK THE ORK

How do you get your INI 16? I only count 13, or 14 if the attributes you listed are unaugmented: REA 8 + INT 5 (+ Wired Reflexes 1).
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Traul @ Jul 29 2010, 04:48 PM) *
How do you get your INI 16? I only count 13, or 14 if the attributes you listed are unaugmented: REA 8 + INT 5 (+ Wired Reflexes 1).

Ghouls get a +2 to Initiative on top of the +2 to Reaction
Karoline
QUOTE (Simon Kerimov @ Jul 29 2010, 06:25 PM) *
Ghouls get a +2 to Initiative on top of the +2 to Reaction

No, it is just a reminder that your init goes up by 2 because your reaction goes up by two. Check it out, all the infected have the same rea + int bonus listed under init.
DrZaius
Hah! Looks fun.

My fights were using my interpretation of boxing rules, so I imagine a pit fight would be more... interesting biggrin.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 29 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Hah! Looks fun.

My fights were using my interpretation of boxing rules, so I imagine a pit fight would be more... interesting biggrin.gif

I can use that elf I tried submitting for your boxing now biggrin.gif

Soon as I find her...
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jul 29 2010, 05:29 PM) *
No, it is just a reminder that your init goes up by 2 because your reaction goes up by two. Check it out, all the infected have the same rea + int bonus listed under init.

Ok, I'll have to make the adjustment.
DrZaius
Do you want to set a BP/karma restriction, to keep the playing field somewhat level?

-DrZ
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Jul 29 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Do you want to set a BP/karma restriction, to keep the playing field somewhat level?

-DrZ

Nope. We just insult the winner if they have too much of a Karma lead.
GORK d'ORK
"IT'S GORK d'ORK! IT'S CULTURED!

"Who wants a piece of me? Do you? Yea, you, the scrawny little muy tai guy. Well? Come and get it! Bring your bravest gladiators!

"WHO WANTS A PIECE OF GORK?"
GORK d'ORK
WHAT'S THAT I HEAR? NO ONE THINKS THEY CAN TAKE ON GORK d'ORK?

GORK CAN UNDERSTAND THEIR PUNY FEARS, NO ONE HAS STEPPED INTO THE RING WITH GORK AND LIVED!

GORK WILL FIGHT, AND IF GORK LOSES, GORK WILL BE UNMASKED! GORK PUTS HIS MASK ON THE LINE!

WHO WILL UNMASK GORK THE ORK ?
GORK d'ORK
Gork stands in the sunken pit, flexing and posing for the bloodthirsty crowd. He is wearing nothing but his mask and a pair of shorts, and carries no weapons.

"Gork waits for one brave enough to fight him! Let there be blood!"

14d6.hits(5) → [1,3,6,5,4,5,3,4,6,5,4,6,4,1] = (6)
Initiative: 20/2
Traul
It's understandable that there are little candidates: who in their right mind would pick a fist fight with a ghoul? That's a fight you lose even if you win.

But I have managed to find 3 possible contenders who are not afraid of Infection. Let the freak fight begin!

The first brave warrior is... a pixie?! No, that is just wrong, that is twisted, that is... live on Horizon sports after advertisement cool.gif
Traul
Here is my humble contribution to the noble cause of having non touch-range spells banned from the pit.

CHALLENGER

THE MAD HATTER, pixie druid

[ Spoiler ]
Traul
"So, where is the big guy who thinks he's tough? It's the naked guy here? Come on! I came here for a fight and I all I find is a bad BDSM shooting? All right, if you want a spanking so bad, you're gonna get it, big boy!"

The Mad Hatter looks like he hasn't been drinking only water (on a speedball of Cram, Betameth and Novacoke).

Spend Edge to go first.
Initiative (19d6.hits(5)=7)
Initiative = 26/2
GORK d'ORK
Gork raises his arms in mock confusion.

"What is this? A little butterfly comes to fight GORK? GORK will not be bested by such a little bug-person! RARAAAAHAHAHA!"

Waits for Mad Hatter's initiative.
Karoline
*waits for the F12 Stunbolt*
Traul
"And welcome back on Horizon Sports, first class channel for first class entertainment. First of all, let us remind you the (lack of) rules: a pit, 2 men, the last one standing at the count of ten wins.
- Can't a fighter surrender?
- The rules say they can, but they usually too high on combat drugs to remember.
- Can't the ref stop the fight?
- The rules say he can, but the last one who tried did not make out of the arena alive. But look, the fight has just started and the mad hatter seems to be going for first blood... or is he? He stays in his corner, but starts to glow strangely. There is magic going on, I can tell you! But what did you expect from those flying monsters?
- Magic? You mean that brain frying is allowed here?
- It's not forbidden. And the poor Gork is going to be sorry for that..."

Casting a Force 11 nyahnyah.gif Stunbolt:
Magic 6 + Spellcasting 4 + Mentor spirit 2 + Specialization 2 + Focus 3 = 17
Casting stunbolt (17d6.hits(5)=8 )
Spend Edge to reroll failures:
Reroll failures (9d6.hits(5)=3)
Total 11 hits
GORK d'ORK
Gork's mouth actually stops spouting arrogant noise for just a moment. His head jerks as the spell goes off, but he stays standing. He starts laughing through blood covered teeth and opens his mouth wide. His disgusting maggot tongue licks the blood off of his lip.

"Tinkerbell should run now. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORK!"

The blood covered ghoul screams his own name to the crowd and charges at the glowing pixie cowering in the sand.

Resisting Spell
7 WIL
4 Edge
dice pool: 11
11d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [4,3,4,5,1,2,2,2,1,4,[6, 3]] = (2)
2 hits

Burn permanent Edge for a critical success.

Charge the cornered pixie.
5 Unarmed Combat
7 Agility
2 Charge
2 Superior position
3 Edge
dice pool: 19
19d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [1,3,[6, 6, 3],[6, 5],1,3,4,[6, 3],3,3,2,4,2,5,[6, 2],4,5,4,2] = (cool.gif
8 hits, 14P
GORK d'ORK
Let's see some Drain before you defend against that attack. lick.gif
GORK d'ORK
"GORK likes to insult you while you aren't posting, starting after an unreasonably short time...

"this is because GORK is a BASTARD.

"LOVE THE BASTARD."

Gork dances around the arena on his charge, waggling his bloody fingers and tongue at the audience.

Gork pulls his mask up to above his nose to show the crowd his scabrous and scarred, pasty, maggot flesh and bleeding, rotten teeth.

Gork slices on his chest to let the blood flow.

Die roll for GORK d'ORK Slicing himself for your amusement
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2631753/
Rolled on: 2010-07-30 20:47:24.924688
12d6.hits(5) → [4,6,5,4,4,2,3,2,2,4,5,2] = (3)

[STR(9)/2+1(round up)]P+[Net Hits]= 6+3 = 9P

Die roll for GORK d'ORK Damage Resistance Check vs Slicing himself for your amusement.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2631754/
Rolled on: 2010-07-30 20:48:33.944688
11d6.hits(5) → [1,3,5,6,4,6,2,6,1,4,3] = (4)

Die roll for GORK d'ORK forgot his Orthoskin
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2632460/
Rolled on: 2010-07-31 15:23:03.694511
1d6.hits(5) → [6] = (1)

9P - 5 = 4P damage

TOTAL DAMAGE MODIFIER :: [-2]
PHYSICAL [-2]
(-1 dpm)[X][X][X]-(-2 dpm)[X][ ][ ]-(3 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-4 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-5 dpm)[ ][ ]
STUN [0]
(-1 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-2 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(3 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-4 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]
Traul
Drain resistance: 4P to soak
Intuition 8 + Willpower 7 + combat fetish 2 = 17 dices
Drain soak (17d6.hits(5)=2)
Suffers 2P.

Charge the cornered pixie.
5 Unarmed Combat
7 Agility
2 Charge
2 Superior position
3 Edge
dice pool: 19
19d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [1,3,[6, 6, 3],[6, 5],1,3,4,[6, 3],3,3,2,4,2,5,[6, 2],4,5,4,2] = (cool.gif
8 hits, 14P

But the pixie tries to fly over Gork as he charges! (using next action to go full Dodge)
Reaction 11 + Dodge 6 + Dodge 6 + Specialization 2 (this one counts only once when in full dodge, right?) = 25 dice
Dodge the charge (25d6.hits(5)=3)
Now that's more the kind of rolls I am used to grinbig.gif
Spending an Edge to reroll failures:
Reroll failures (22d6.hits(5)=cool.gif
Total 11 hits

"Gork could almost feel the wind from the Hatter's wings but he misses and crashes against the pit wall! Look at those scared guys next to him in the crowd!
- I can understand them..."

"What's the problem, bully? Saw something red?"
GORK d'ORK
"GORK ALWAYS SEES RED!"

The blood covered ghoul slams the area where the pixie had been just a moment ago, leaving behind a smear of the infectious waste he calls blood. He bounces and follows the pixie out of the confining corner of the arena.

COMBAT TURN 1
INITIATIVE PASS 2
INITIATIVE 18
ACTION: Melee Attack
7 AGI
5 Unarmed Combat
-2 Wound Modifier
TOTAL 10 dice

Die roll for GORK d'ORK Attacking Tinkerbell
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2632507/
Rolled on: 2010-07-31 16:29:47.871501
10d6.hits(5) → [6,2,5,6,2,4,2,3,4,5] = (4)

4 hits to attack

PHYSICAL [-2]
(-1 dpm)[X][X][X]-(-2 dpm)[X][ ][ ]-(3 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-4 dpm)[ ][ ][ ]-(-5 dpm)[ ][ ]
STUN [0]
Traul
Is the full defense still lasting? Seems not.

"Gork is starting to look really mad (I mean, even more than usual) at the little bugger over his shoulder!"

Reaction 11
Dodge 6
Specialization 2
Defended against 1 attack this turn -1
Total 18 dice
Dodge the second attack (18d6.hits(5)=cool.gif

"And as Gork lunges forward, the faerie dives between his legs! Now the fighters are facing each other again, catching their breath."

Initiative (19d6.hits(5)=5)
Total initiative 24
Saint Sithney
Next on the Docket!

Name: Damian "Dime" Azeri
750 Karma worth of cybered-up Gnomish Magekiller

Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
Traul
Looks like somebody is betting on the winner nyahnyah.gif
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Traul @ Jul 31 2010, 07:29 PM) *
Looks like somebdoy is betting on the winner nyahnyah.gif

Really I can't wait for shit to go pear-shaped in my fight so I can Redline my cyberlimb to 22 Str and then die from the 22S damage next turn. Go-go Gadget suicide!
Simon Kerimov
*cough*

taps microphone.

"Ooops. Is this still live?"
GORK d'ORK
"GORK thinks Tinkerbell will look so cute sewn into GORK'S SKIN!"

If I have it correctly, you are now at -2 dice pool modifier for dodging, but since you didn't need to abort to Full Dodge again, that goes away after you are done?

Die roll for GORK d'ORK Initiative 2nd Combat Turn
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2632772/
Rolled on: 2010-07-31 22:57:33.980830
12d6.hits(5) → [5,4,6,1,3,1,3,2,3,1,1,6] = (3)

Initiative: 15/2

PHYSICAL [-2]
STUN [0]
Traul
"Now it's time for baby for to go to sleep..."

QUOTE (GORK d'ORK @ Aug 1 2010, 08:04 AM) *
If I have it correctly, you are now at -2 dice pool modifier for dodging, but since you didn't need to abort to Full Dodge again, that goes away after you are done?

I guess so, but since I have Initiative it does not really matter.

Let's try the Suntbolt thing again, will we?
Casting F11 Stunbolt (17d6.hits(5)=6)
That's still avoidable smile.gif

GORK d'ORK
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 1 2010, 01:58 AM) *
I guess so, but since I have Initiative it does not really matter.

That was the point I was going for.
GORK d'ORK
"GORK IS ANNOYED THAT PIXIES VANISH WHEN KILLED! EATING YOU WILL BE HARD!"

Gork shrugs it off smugly, and grins at the Drain-addled pixie.

WIL(7)+Edge(3) = 10, Rule of Six

Die roll for GORD d'ORK Resisting Stunbolt
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2632809/
Rolled on: 2010-08-01 01:33:08.332331
10d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [4,3,[6, 6, 4],2,3,[6, 2],5,5,5,3] = (6)

PHYSICAL [-2]
STUN [0]
Traul
That was your last point of Edge, wasn't it? grinbig.gif

"Gee! You're a tough nut to crack, I give you that. It won't save you, but at least you're going down with the honours."

Drain value: 4
Drain soak (17d6.hits(5)=5)
Karoline
I've got to say, this has lasted 3 IP longer than I expected smile.gif
GORK d'ORK
"GORK still has one Edge left."

Edge use
Point 1: tapped to resist first spell.
Point 1: burned permanently.
Point 2: tapped to attack Mad Hatter.
Point 3: tapped to resist second spell.
Point 4: not tapped yet.
GORK d'ORK
"GORK is glad Sangre y Acero is in Tenochtitlan, because that means we fight in an underground ullamaliztli! GORK hides in endzone and picks up a tzompantli rack to block Tinkerbell's LOS!"

Since Sangre y Acero is in Aztlan, it is going to be fought inside of a ullamaliztli, one of the ball courts for the mesoamerican ballgame. The ullamaliztli were used for playing the ballgame, for wrestling, and for festivals and parties.

Ullamaliztli have a length to width ratio of about 4:1, with smaller courts being about 16 by 4 meters with a 3 meter tall retaining wall. At each end of the court there is an end zone about two meters deep, so the whole field looks like a giant "I".

Along the width of the court, there is the 4 meters of flat area that is the playing alley, and beyond that the sides are sloped up to the height of the 3 meter retaining wall at some angle depending on construction (there did not appear to be a rule on how steep to make it). Lets go with 4 meters on either side, sloping up to the 3 meter retaining wall, so the angle is about 37 degrees. At the end zones, the 3 meter retaining wall is vertical. In the middle of the playing alley, at the top of the slope are large stone rings that have a hole slightly larger than a metahuman head. These are the goals, and the size is not accidental.

The playing alley is dirt or grass, and the walls are masonry (Object Resist of 2). Surrounding the court area are structures for spectators to sit in, raising the height of the court by another 2 meters. Those 2 meters are adorned with tzompantli, or skull racks. Think of a long bookshelf with narrow shelves full of the skulls of sacrifice victims.

Gork is narrating for himself while he is picking up a rack a little taller and wider than he is to use as a visual barrier against the Mad Hatter. Gork will be relying on his enhanced sense of smell and hearing to track the pixie.

COMBAT TURN 2
INITIATIVE PASS 1
REACTION 15
Movement Action: Move 5 meters (10 meters / 2 Initiative Passes) toward endzone.
Free Action: Run, so Movement becomes 12.5 meters, enough to get to where he's going.
Complex Action: Use complex object, to grab and get behind a rack of skulls.

PHYSICAL [-2]
STUN [0]
Traul
QUOTE (GORK d'ORK @ Jul 31 2010, 04:57 AM) *
Resisting Spell
7 WIL
4 Edge
dice pool: 11
11d6.hitsopen(5,6) → [4,3,4,5,1,2,2,2,1,4,[6, 3]] = (2)
2 hits

Burn permanent Edge for a critical success.

That's 2 points of Edge: 1 for rolling, one for automated success.
GORK d'ORK
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 1 2010, 12:58 PM) *
That's 2 points of Edge: 1 for rolling, one for automated success.[/i]

The entry on Burning Edge calls it permanently reducing the Edge attribute by 1, doesn't call it spending, and contrasts it with spending. However, there's nothing in any errata, or in the FAQ to support my argument, so we will call it used.
Traul
QUOTE (GORK d'ORK @ Aug 1 2010, 09:21 PM) *
The entry on Burning Edge calls it permanently reducing the Edge attribute by 1, doesn't call it spending, and contrasts it with spending. However, there's nothing in any errata, or in the FAQ to support my argument, so we will call it used.

As you like it. Not that it changes much here: if you can do it, so can I, so it would just make the fight longer than necessary.

"I praise your toughness, and now you want to play hide and seek?! I take that back, you big fat chicken nyahnyah.gif ! But it's fine with me..."

Simple action: activate Concealment power.
Simple action: make faces at Gork while he cannot see.
Movement: erratic flight at the center of the arena, waiting for Gork
Glyph
QUOTE (GORK d'ORK @ Aug 1 2010, 10:54 AM) *
"GORK still has one Edge left."

Edge use
Point 1: tapped to resist first spell.
Point 1: burned permanently.
Point 2: tapped to attack Mad Hatter.
Point 3: tapped to resist second spell.
Point 4: not tapped yet.

The burned point of Edge doesn't count as tapped, however, since you burned it, you have an Edge of 3 now, not 4 - so since you have tapped 3 points of Edge, you don't have any left to tap. You can still burn it, though.
Traul
QUOTE (Glyph @ Aug 1 2010, 11:03 PM) *
The burned point of Edge doesn't count as tapped, however, since you burned it, you have an Edge of 3 now, not 4 - so since you have tapped 3 points of Edge, you don't have any left to tap. You can still burn it, though.

Let's move it to the main board. The discussion is open here.
Saint Sithney
A few considerations:
[ Spoiler ]

But anyway... On with the fight!
Simon Kerimov
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 1 2010, 04:38 PM) *
A few considerations:

I still think it's funny how the site of sacrificial death games doesn't have a background count.
Especially when the entire city of Tenochtitlan is a Blood Magic aspected Domain..

Also, as I understand, enhanced senses goes away along with dual natured sight when your magic drops to 0 after your first touch of essence loss. Background count may or may not matter for this as well.

But anyway... On with the fight!

I don't have the reference for the Background count, but you are correct, the Sangre y Acero pit would likely have a Background Count. We'll add it into the League Rules after this fight is done.

Enhanced Senses do go away, along with Dual Natured sight, when Magic Drops to 0. When I designed Gork I payed for my Magic Rating to be 4, enough that there was still 1 Magic left over after all the 'ware (I assumed I could fill the Essence hole from turning into a Ghoul first, before the rest of the 'ware), specifically so I wouldn't lose access to those powers. I could have been cheap and said that it was all installed before he became a ghoul, but that was lame and didn't fit the background.

As far as weird things I think are funny, Pixies don't have a reduced Reach, so I haven't been using it. I give Gork Superior Position any time he is 1/2 meter above the Mad Hatter, but that only mattered when the Mad Hatter wasn't moving around. I've been assuming that he is flying around to deny Gork that advantage (except for the first turn when Traul stated Mad Hatter was sticking to his corner).

GORK d'ORK
"GORK can SMELL YOUR FEAR! AND MANY OTHER UNPLEASANT ODORS!"

Gork sniffs around to locate Mad Hatter and readies his wall of skulls to swat the flying menace.

COMBAT TURN 2
INITIATIVE PASS 2
REACTION 15
Simple Action: Observe in Detail
INT: 5
Perception: 4
Enhanced Smell or Hearing: +3
Perceiver listening/smelling specifically for Mad Hatter: +3
Background stink and noise: -2
Concealment Power: -6
Wound Modifiers: -2
Total Pool: 5

Die roll for GORK d'ORK Perception Test
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2633391/
Rolled on: 2010-08-01 16:19:36.373776
5d6.hits(5) → [5,4,5,4,4] = (2)

Simple Action: Ready Weapon [Skull wall]
Treating the skull wall as a Riot Shield, which is an Exotic Melee Weapon that imposes a -1 dice pool modifier to all physical actions, including attacking (default pool is 5). Damage is (STR/2)S with AP+2

PHYSICAL [-2]
STUN [0]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012