Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Yeah, sure you can. Wait, WHY?"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mäx
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Aug 6 2010, 12:52 PM) *
Which definitvely seems abusive to me for anything beyonf 'ok the detonator should be around there from the shcemtics I've seen of that thingie'.

As the characters logic is at human augmented max, that should pretty much be enought for the character to improvise a way to disarm it usiong his inhumane smartness.
Karoline
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Aug 3 2010, 11:38 PM) *
1: The simplest one occurred when one of the other players wanted to play a different character, so he and the GM came up with a clever way to introduce the new character in the middle of a run. However, by the time we got to said character, the team was in bad shape. We see the new player character to be in the middle of a room surrounded by dead bodies. One of the other players says "eek! kill it!"

Me: "I shoot him in the head, full auto, narrow burst, preemptive edge."
GM: "wait, why?"

character to be in the middle of a room surrounded by dead bodies.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 6 2010, 06:01 AM) *
As the characters logic is at human augmented max, that should pretty much be enought for the character to improvise a way to disarm it usiong his inhumane smartness.

Indeed, this is someone that makes Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and all those other 200ish IQ people look like they're simply a little bright.
IKerensky
Except Eisntein is supposed to have a 7 rating in skill not a 1.

Logic is nice, but it is skill rating that define what you can do.
Doc Chase
Halloween is next month; you should practice necromancy then. biggrin.gif
Neurosis
My players have never ambushed me. : (
Doc Chase
They will. The second you figure they're predictable-BAM! They hit you with the pink mohawk and a jury-rigged demolition charge while pinned down in a landscaper's storage shed.
Neurosis
God I wish they had that kind of ingenuity.
CanRay
Weird. Jury-rigged explosives are second nature to me.

Of course, I grew up in a mining town...

And my Mohawk is red, damnit! Bight, blood red!
Doc Chase
I made my GM stop the game for five minutes to really research whether or not I could use cat litter as a reactant in a fuel-air bomb. nyahnyah.gif I think that one was already covered in this thread, actually.

My current crop are playing CrashCart employees with minimal combat skills, so I don't think the ANFO jury-rig will fly. I can hope for an O2 canister torpedo, though.
CanRay
"You killed someone with a MEDKIT?" "Yeah, good health can be deadly. Look at Jerry Garcia!"
AStarshipforAnts
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 2 2010, 04:35 PM) *
My current crop are playing CrashCart employees with minimal combat skills, so I don't think the ANFO jury-rig will fly. I can hope for an O2 canister torpedo, though.

Don't worry, Doc. I'm sure we'll come up with something just for you.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (AStarshipforAnts @ Sep 2 2010, 09:10 PM) *
Don't worry, Doc. I'm sure we'll come up with something just for you.

And then I will cackle, and it will go into the other thread.

"Just as planned!"
spasheridan
QUOTE (IKerensky @ Sep 2 2010, 06:18 AM) *
Except Eisntein is supposed to have a 7 rating in skill not a 1.

Logic is nice, but it is skill rating that define what you can do.

No - skill level is nice, dice pool is everything. There is no difference between a Knowledge 6, Logic 4 and a Knowledge 1, Logic 9 person when it comes to making a knowledge skill roll. DP 10 = DP 10 - this is like Shadowrun 101.

The obvious rule you should be throwing around is this:

For knowledge skills you would say Know: Nukes is the perfect skill for the Know: test, so you need 1 hit to succeed.
Know: Explosives is a bit vague for Nukes, so you need 2 hits to succeed.
Know: Archaic weapons is VERY vague, but it's a 100+ year old weapon so... you need 4 hits to succeed.

That said, you can't use a KNOW skill to perform a physical activity. Disarming is a physical activity....
IKerensky
You got me on the Know/active difference and I knowed of it... I just dont acted on it nyahnyah.gif
Makki
QUOTE (spasheridan @ Sep 2 2010, 11:51 PM) *
The obvious rule you should be throwing around is this:

plus the not so obvious but very nice optional rule: hits are capped at skill x2
Kyrel
Not an exact "ambush" of the GM, but entertaining nevertheless...

Our GM recently had us go on a run where we were supposed to infiltrate a new Humanis organisation, discover what it was about, and then take appropriate action. As things turned out, we decided to gas the entire membership during a meeting, then move them to a secluded location and mindprobe the hell out of them. Turned out that the organisation was already infiltrated by an undercover FBI guy, an undercover Yakuza man, and an undercover Lone Star member. Additionally we found a member of a terrorist organisation, and a toxic mage. The toxic mage and the terrorist we killed, the rest we decided to return to the house without their memories, after giving them a full bodywax, using the same type of hot wax used by many women to remove unwanted hair...

Our GM didn't see the hot wax coming, and ended up having quite a laugh at it. Especially at the thought of what the story might look like on ShadowSEA...

Gained us an additional point of Karma cool.gif
suoq
QUOTE (Makki @ Sep 3 2010, 02:12 AM) *
plus the not so obvious but very nice optional rule: hits are capped at skill x2
Does that mean not having a point in the skill means the character is Incompetent, only without the 5 BP bonus?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 3 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Does that mean not having a point in the skill means the character is Incompetent, only without the 5 BP bonus?

Hits would be capped at 1 in that case unless it's a skill that specifically cannot be used untrained.
Neraph
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Sep 3 2010, 07:28 AM) *
The toxic mage and the terrorist we killed,

Silly. You could have gotten a million nuyen for that mage.

QUOTE (Dunkelzahn)
In order to discourage the proliferation of toxic shamans, I offer a bounty of 1 million nuyen on any toxic shamans captured alive and delivered to the Dunkelzahn Institute of Magical Research for the purposes of studying the effects of toxicity on the physical and astral presence of such shamans, and how they in turn impact the physical and astral world.

As found here.
CanRay
Yeah, good luck holding the Toxic.

Also, as most Mundanes can't tell the difference between Toxic Magicians and Regular Magicians ("They both use magic, and thus are Witches. And 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch' after all!"), the Draco Foundation has a Bounty List rather than willy-nilly.

So, first, see if (s)he's on the list. nyahnyah.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2010, 06:45 AM) *
Yeah, good luck holding the Toxic.

Also, as most Mundanes can't tell the difference between Toxic Magicians and Regular Magicians ("They both use magic, and thus are Witches. And 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch' after all!"), the Draco Foundation has a Bounty List rather than willy-nilly.

So, first, see if (s)he's on the list. nyahnyah.gif

First off, if people still did that "thou shalt not suffer a witch" thing, all the wiccans in America would be executed. So that's not in effect now.

Secondly, it's quite easy to "hold" a toxic - it's called Slab and Freeze Foam.

EDIT: Added something.
CanRay
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 4 2010, 10:30 AM) *
First off, if people still did that "thou shalt not suffer a witch" thing, all the wiccans in America would be executed. So that's not in effect now.

*Looks at Humanis Policlub* Nope, racism is still around. I don't see that mistranslation going anywhere.

It may not be the official stance of a group, but there's always extremists around who will twist whatever words they can in order to try and explain why they're doing something "For the greater good".

Even if only to themselves.
Neraph
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 4 2010, 10:35 AM) *
"For the greater good".

Hey, the Tau would be the best thing to happen to earth.
Mikado
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 4 2010, 11:38 AM) *
Hey, the Tau would be the best thing to happen to earth.

I agree completely.
LurkerOutThere
It's been quite a few years since big D kicked it, I can't really see the toxic bounty still in force. The blood mage bounty maybe, it's why the azzies put cranial bombs in their guys, but toxics are kind of a dime a dozen.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 4 2010, 11:34 PM) *
It's been quite a few years since big D kicked it, I can't really see the toxic bounty still in force. The blood mage bounty maybe, it's why the azzies put cranial bombs in their guys, but toxics are kind of a dime a dozen.

It's not a general bounty on "any" toxic mage these days, the Draco Foundation has a wanted list and only gives out bounties for names on the list. At least, that was the last official word on it.
CanRay
Just because the Big D is gone, doesn't mean his legacy is over.

I swear, he's changed more things dead than he did alive. And he did a hell of a lot when up and around!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012