Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about edges
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Arkelias
How many points can you spend on edges? Right now I have six points worth, but none of them are game breaking (College education, Connection and Focused Concentration).

There are a couple of other ones that look nice, but I am not sure how many points worth I can get...
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
You using Priorities/Points system or BeCKs or Gaffer's homebrew?
And it's all up to the GM, too. Generally the rule [you all can check me on this] is no more than 10 points worth of edges/flaws.
Kagetenshi
No clue where Gyro is getting that number. The rule, or rather guideline, is no more than five edges and five flaws, and that the net point value gained or lost must be six or less either way.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The rule, or rather guideline, is no more than five edges and five flaws, and that the net point value gained or lost must be six or less either way.

Unless you are using the Priority System, in which case Edge and Flaw points should be equal. smile.gif
Voltage
But we all know the priority system is arse anyway wink.gif
shirogr
The edge/flaw system works like this in the point based system published in the Shadowrun Companion:

You can have a maximum of 5 flaws and 5 edges. No edge can be above 6 points (only published exception is the ambidexterity edge level4=8 points, GM's option how many levels can the PCs buy from the high pain tolerance flaw). If you are using the priority system you can throw in up to 6 building points for edges.

hoped I helped.
Bizarro
Yes, the five Edges/five Flaws limit is correct, but there is no limit on how many Build Points can be used on Edges/Flaws, as long as the net total of Build Points spent or gained does not exceed six, as Kagetenshi stated above.

For example, if you wanted, you could buy five Edges worth 30 Build Points, but you would also have to take at least 24 points worth of Flaws (no more than five Flaws total, of course) to compensate, so as to not exceed the limit of six net total Build Points spent or gained.
The White Dwarf
As stated above:

Priority System: up to 5 edges, and 5 flaws, and the points values must be equal

Build Point System: up to 5 edges, and 5 flaws, and you must not gain or lose more than 6 build points in total

How many points I actually use varies widely, as some characters dont need many or any, and others need a lot. Like my current sam (get to use him sunday woot) has 9 points of edges, and 15 points of flaws. Typically Ill try to gain a few points off some flaws, to help round out a skill or two (like when it could be 6, but I only have 4 build points left, I go for taht 2 point gain from flaws). But thats just me, your milage can and probably will vary, especially on character type.
Cochise
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Build Point System: up to 5 edges, and 5 flaws, and you must not gain or lose more than 6 build points in total

No .. it's not "must not" .. it's "should not", since it's merely a suggestion wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (shirogr)
No edge can be above 6 points...

Where are you getting this rule from?
shirogr
Designing edges and flaws Shadowrun Companion page 16

"No edge should be worth more than 6 points and no flaw should be worth more than -6 points"

As always it goes without saying that the GM can do whatever he wants but this is the official guideline and FASA never had DEFINITE rules like all good rpg companes.They just gave suggestions on how it should be played.
Cochise
QUOTE (shirogr)

"No edge should be worth more than 6 points and no flaw should be worth more than -6 points"

Again the keyword is "should" instead of a sentence that uses "must not" ...
This gets rather import when looking at the canon edge of ambidexterity at its highest level: 8 points ...
Fortune
QUOTE (shirogr)

Also note that this suggested rule is for designing new Edges and Flaws. As several of the listed canon Edges can (and do) exceed 6 points, this is not in reference to them.
Derek
QUOTE (Cochise)
No .. it's not "must not" .. it's "should not", since it's merely a suggestion wink.gif

Well, as a note, I would consider the entire rule system to be merely suggestions, not to get in the way of all having a good time. But thats another rant.

Derek
Cochise
QUOTE (Derek)
Well, as a note, I would consider the entire rule system to be merely suggestions, not to get in the way of all having a good time.  But thats another rant. 

Derek

Absolutely, since rule No. 1 (or 0, depending on who you ask) says: Change whatever doesn't fit your style.

Yet, I still see a slight difference between applying this rule to another explicit rule, thus changing / ignoring the latter one and the rule in question not being that explicit, thus allowing it to be ignored / altered without applying rule No. 1 ...

~shrugs~
Tziluthi
If one of the players is a min-maxer, though, you may wish to say that the edges/flaws have to level out completely. That will prevent them from taking a bunch of really low-impact flaws to expand their skill or attribute scores.
toturi
like that will help much... if he IS really a min-maxer
Solidcobra
sarcastic.gif oh my god... SOMEONE WANTS TO BE GOOD AT COMBAT!!!!! RUN!!!!
what?

The troll sammy wants armor? MUNCHKIN!!!!

The mage wants to initiate? POWERGAMER!!!!!

The decker wants a better program? MIN-MAXER!!!!!

A player wants to play Joe Schmoe with 2 in 5 skills, none combat related? thats okay....

(Why yes, i am in a TERRIBLE mood today)
shirogr
At Last, a fellow believer!!!!!!!
IcyCool
QUOTE (Solidcobra)
sarcastic.gif oh my god... SOMEONE WANTS TO BE GOOD AT COMBAT!!!!! RUN!!!!
what?

I'll just echo your statement and say, what? (As in, what the hell are you talking about?)

QUOTE (Solidcobra)

The troll sammy wants armor? MUNCHKIN!!!!

Umm, no, and no one said this was a MUNCHKIN. If the troll sammy wants hardened, military grade POWER ARMOR, then yeah, he's a munchkin.

QUOTE (Solidcobra)

The mage wants to initiate? POWERGAMER!!!!!

No again, and there hasn't been a post to back your statement up.

QUOTE (Solidcobra)

The decker wants a better program? MIN-MAXER!!!!!

Strike three. Where are you getting this crap?

QUOTE (Solidcobra)

A player wants to play Joe Schmoe with 2 in 5 skills, none combat related? thats okay....

Sure is, but so are the other examples you gave.

QUOTE (Solidcobra)

(Why yes, i am in a TERRIBLE mood today)

Goody for you, come back when you are in a better mood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012