Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DingoJones
Basically, one combat turn is three seconds, as per the main book. The movement for a human at a run is 25 meters over a combat turn. 25 meters in three seconds? Thats really only .5 seconds short of what the fastest man in the world can do. Am I missing something? If not, then how do you handle movement? As is, or house ruled?
Tanegar
As one of the guys I play BattleTech with is fond of saying, you're doing that "reality" thing again. Stop it.
NetWraith
As a Gm I run with it as is... It may seem totally unrealistic, but the rules are abstracted and an attempted to streamline a combat rules for ease of use. To make the combat rule more realistic would bog them down and a combat would take up the majority of a playing night(at least for my group, and we're old)

But that's just my opinion...

-Netwraith
SpellBinder
QUOTE (DingoJones @ Aug 8 2010, 12:01 PM) *
Basically, one combat turn is three seconds, as per the main book. The movement for a human at a run is 25 meters over a combat turn. 25 meters in three seconds? Thats really only .5 seconds short of what the fastest man in the world can do. Am I missing something? If not, then how do you handle movement? As is, or house ruled?

Probably the VITAS plagues that wiped out a large chunk of the global [meta]human population, likely a lot of those who were not as physically fit as many athletes. Also that Shadowrunners are likely in better shape than the average person due to the nature of their life.

Other than that, what Tanegar and NetWraith said.
rinman
The current world record for the 100m is 9.58 sec, at 25m/3sec that is 12 sec to run 100 meters. That really isn't out of line for a reasonably fit adult to do.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (rinman @ Aug 8 2010, 11:27 AM) *
The current world record for the 100m is 9.58 sec, at 25m/3sec that is 12 sec to run 100 meters. That really isn't out of line for a reasonably fit adult to do.

The unreasonable part comes when you make a running test, especially with a high body and/or synthacardium helping out.
Makki
yeah, but the 9.58 sec guy didn't have synthacardium. in a shadowrun world he had Str 6 and Running 7, getting 5 hits on the sprint roll, he reaches 35m/3sec => 100m/35m*3sec=8,57sec
So, i think the movement speed values in shadowrun are actually just 10% off
Draco18s
QUOTE (Makki @ Aug 8 2010, 02:46 PM) *
So, i think the movement speed values in shadowrun are actually just 10% off

Yeah, but its hard to figure out where you are when you're run speed is 22.5 meters and you're dividing it up into 4 initiative passes and you only run one of them...
(That's 5.625 meters for those of you who aren't keeping up).
kzt
How many point of impact and ballistic armor did the record holder wear when he made the record? Was he carrying an LMG or a missile launcher, or just an AK-97?
Shinobi Killfist
Oh noes SR doesn't count encumbrance well.
Abstruse
House rule it then. Walking speed is Agility times two. If you want less variance, use Agility plus 5. Running speed is 2.5 times walking speed.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Abstruse @ Aug 8 2010, 03:54 PM) *
House rule it then. Walking speed is Agility times two. If you want less variance, use Agility plus 5. Running speed is 2.5 times walking speed.

If you are going old school its agilityx2 but x3 for elves. smile.gif I don't remember the actual multiples but elves were faster. And personally I'd base it on reaction if sticking with the quickness attribute from 1-3e, but since running is tied to strength I'd think it would be the better attribute to use.
jimbo
QUOTE (kzt @ Aug 8 2010, 03:20 PM) *
How many point of impact and ballistic armor did the record holder wear when he made the record? Was he carrying an LMG or a missile launcher, or just an AK-97?

Now that you mention it, it is entirely possible the (unknown) world record for sprinting is held by some dude wearing armor or carrying a weapon over uneven ground.

Drive for the gold, training, dedication vs. running for your life...no contest smile.gif

I could be wrong though...
Pat
QUOTE (jimbo @ Aug 8 2010, 06:03 PM) *
Now that you mention it, it is entirely possible the (unknown) world record for sprinting is held by some dude wearing armor or carrying a weapon over uneven ground.

Drive for the gold, training, dedication vs. running for your life...no contest smile.gif

I could be wrong though...

QFT

Motivation can do a LOT to affect performance.
And when the extreme motivation is present, there is rarely a guy with a stopwatch around to check your time.
nemafow
I guess if it depends on whether a pack of Ghouls are chasing you or not, whether that is unrealistic wink.gif
NetWraith
QUOTE (nemafow @ Aug 8 2010, 07:53 PM) *
I guess if it depends on whether a pack of Ghouls are chasing you or not, whether that is unrealistic wink.gif

I often wonder about some of the local population.... At least on the intelligence level.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Pat @ Aug 8 2010, 05:42 PM) *
Motivation can do a LOT to affect performance.
And when the extreme motivation is present, there is rarely a guy with a stopwatch around to check your time.

Yeah, there's a reason top athletes tend to be accused of caring a li'l too much about a game: if it wasn't at least a li'l bit true, they wouldn't be able to get on top (or at least stay there for very long.) Hell, Jerry Rice talked about essentially running scared and having a ridiculously deep seated fear of failure in NFL Hall of Fame acceptance speech the other day. I tend to believe that you have to be in danger or at least a li'l bit crazy to get even 90% of what you're truly capable of out of your body.
sabs
olympic athletes are spending edge on their sprint rolls wink.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Aug 8 2010, 08:35 PM) *
I tend to believe that you have to be in danger or at least a li'l bit crazy to get even 90% of what you're truly capable of out of your body.

Ever heard about Race Across America?
You don't get breaks. Any time spent resting (sleeping, eating, peeing) is still counted towards your final time.
A few racers have been known to jump off their bikes and wrestle mailboxes.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 8 2010, 08:40 PM) *
Ever heard about Race Across America?
You don't get breaks. Any time spent resting (sleeping, eating, peeing) is still counted towards your final time.
A few racers have been known to jump off their bikes and wrestle mailboxes.

Er, wouldn't stopping to wrestle mailboxes also count against their time?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Aug 8 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Er, wouldn't stopping to wrestle mailboxes also count against their time?

Yes it would. But when you're biking on less than 2 hours of sleep each night you tend to go a little crazy.
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (rinman @ Aug 8 2010, 12:27 PM) *

Keep in mind that 25m / 3 seconds is the Shadowrun running rate of an Infirm, Incompetent (Running), Strength 1 character with no augmentation, magic, or other enhancements.
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 25 2010, 05:27 AM) *
Shadowrun <> Real World

Walking Rate
3.33 m/s <> 1.51 m/s

Running Rate (Guerrouj 1500m)
8.33 m/s < > 7.28 m/s

Sprinting Rate (Dice Pool 6 / Bolt 100m)
9.66 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Single Sprint Action, Average Hits]
11.00 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Two Sprint Actions, Average Hits]
19.00 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Eight Sprint Actions, Average Hits]

Sprinting Rate (Dice Pool 12 / Bolt 100m)
11.00 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Single Sprint Action, Average Hits]
13.66 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Two Sprint Actions, Average Hits]
29.66 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Eight Sprint Actions, Average Hits]

Sprinting Rate (Dice Pool 20 / Bolt 100m)
11.66 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Single Sprint Action, Average Hits]
15.00 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Two Sprint Actions, Average Hits]
35.00 m/s < > 10.44 m/s [Eight Sprint Actions, Average Hits]

For those curious: 35.00 m/s is 126km (or 78.29 miles) per hour.
DingoJones
cool. thanx all. I like the idea of agility times two or plus five. I'll play that a bit and see which is best.
The trouble came when I was having the players rescue two comrades from a Triad office\safehouse. The players were doing rather well using cover and whatnot, but the adept leader just kept running up to them and hacking them up. I mean, in a building 25 meters can get you to one end to the other end and back again all while making complex actions for hand to hand. He was litrally running circles around them.
The real problem I suppose is it's not 25 meters balls out like on a race track, it's around corners and back and forth...thats when 25 meters just gets to ridiculous. Maybe i'll make it so you can only run in a straight line, otherwise you must stop and start again in the new direction on a subsequent round.

Thanx for the help.

Dingo Jones "No ma'am, I didn't eat your baby."
tifunkalicious
agility is a measure of hand-eye coordination and balance rather than speed. Reaction, Strength, or a mixture is more appropriate
Abstruse
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Aug 8 2010, 03:08 PM) *
If you are going old school its agilityx2 but x3 for elves. smile.gif I don't remember the actual multiples but elves were faster. And personally I'd base it on reaction if sticking with the quickness attribute from 1-3e, but since running is tied to strength I'd think it would be the better attribute to use.

It was 3x for humans and orcs, 4x for elves, and 2x for dwarves and trolls.
Irion
Tactical movement is not to be compared with running in olympics or something.

I mean, sure I could run 100m under 11 sec, even with a backback.
But I could not do it on slippery floor, around corners. I certainly would hit the wall trying.
Ideal for dividing would be 12 and 24m per Combat turn. I would go with 12.
Saint Sithney
Yeah, being able to split runs evenly along 1,2,3,+4 IPs would be nice, but then, what about the walking rate?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Aug 9 2010, 06:05 AM) *
Yeah, being able to split runs evenly along 1,2,3,+4 IPs would be nice, but then, what about the walking rate?

6, probably. The only number it doesn't divide by is 4 (but it is only 1.5m which isn't too difficult to deal with).
jimbo
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Aug 9 2010, 08:23 AM) *
6, probably. The only number it doesn't divide by is 4 (but it is only 1.5m which isn't too difficult to deal with).

Yeah, just put the impetus on players...you can move 1 or 2 meters per IP, your choice, but no more than 6 meters over the whole turn.
DireRadiant
If we are worried about simulating reality in our shadowrun game, I think there are other oddities then the running rates that are perhaps a little less realistic simulations.
Saint Hallow
I thought 1 of the key reasons people loved SR was that it wasn't a tactical game (despite all the weapons and combat themes in it)? Minis and a combat map aren't required for the game so you don't need to check for AOO's, threatened squares, etc. If such was the case, then I could see movement rates and limits being important. MY GM always played it by ear and eyeballed it if a person could run or get to a certain location/distance within a time alloted.
tifunkalicious
indeed, ive been trying to run the game on a square mat with minis out of habit and honestly it has taken away from some of the combat. I am planning to use my mat/markers simply to make a list of who is in melee with who or who is behind what kind of cover and simply using print-outs or drawn maps
DireRadiant
You just need to run faster then your teammate.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Me and Garou changed the rules for running to work like this:
We've changed the movement rates of everyone to make them divisible by 4 (Humans, Orks, Elves run 24m, dwarves run 20 and Trolls 36m per combat turn).
Each IP you move 1/4 of the total movement.
You make a single running test for combat turn. The hits you get are applied to every IP since you started running (with three when doing the test on the first IP, a Trolls would run 11m per IP).
This way, people with faster reactions won't be able to outrun a bike or car but they will be able to do other stuff while running (which is the whole point of having faster reactions). If you want to run faster, get some muscles and better oxygenation.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Aug 9 2010, 09:31 PM) *
If we are worried about simulating reality in our shadowrun game, I think there are other oddities then the running rates that are perhaps a little less realistic simulations.

Exactly. I'd also point out that people always seem hell bent on interpreting the rules in the way that makes it seem the worst to them.

"Characters with the Running skill may attempt to increase the distance
they can run by spending a Simple Action and making a Running Test.
The Sprinting specialization applies to this test. Each hit adds 2 meters
to the character’s distance for that Combat Turn (Movement, p. 148).
The gamemaster may apply modifiers for various types of terrain (slippery,
rocky, and so on) and other conditions."

That is the total of the running rules right there.

The rules are silent on what happens if you use multiple SA per pass, and each additional pass you have. So lets say you get 7 hits due to a 20 die pool in running, you go 14 extra meters this turn. If you make another SA running test is it another 14 meters or is it best of? The 14 meters will be divided among your 4 passes like the rest of your movement, but even if you can use both SAs in a pass and they stack do the next 2 SA in the next pass stack on top of that or is it a if you can beat the last rolls you go at the new speed. The rules don't say so people assume and get bitchy about it.

Personally I am fine with cyber/adept monsters running at 70 MPH, I have no problem with reactions including that just like how they let you punch and kick more often and shoot more people, you can pump your legs in running more often. So if the stacking up to absurdity is how the rules are intended I am fine with that.
Warlordtheft
Something to ponder:

The current 100m record is 9.58 seconds (approximately 32 meters per combat turn).

Your average person (Str 3) woud not match that.
Your average athelete (Str 4, Athletics 3) would need 4 Successes to reach this speed.

At base speed of 25, you would need 30 successes to go 100 KPH (60 MPH).

Voran
Do we all make the 6 million dollar man sound effect when we run?
Malachi
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 10 2010, 06:42 AM) *
Me and Garou changed the rules for running to work like this:
We've changed the movement rates of everyone to make them divisible by 4 (Humans, Orks, Elves run 24m, dwarves run 20 and Trolls 36m per combat turn).
Each IP you move 1/4 of the total movement.
You make a single running test for combat turn. The hits you get are applied to every IP since you started running (with three when doing the test on the first IP, a Trolls would run 11m per IP).
This way, people with faster reactions won't be able to outrun a bike or car but they will be able to do other stuff while running (which is the whole point of having faster reactions). If you want to run faster, get some muscles and better oxygenation.

Pretty much identical to how I handle movement in my games. I allow for re-tries of the movement test, but only the latest try applies and you only get the new speed for your "unspent" IP's in that Combat Turn.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 10 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Do we all make the 6 million dollar man sound effect when we run?

There's a separate cyberimplant for that.
Tiny Deev
Why do people run so fast? Its magic!

Hihi.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012