Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solving California's Water Problem
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RedmondLarry
My magician has decided that water is valuable in California, and he may have a magical solution worth lots of nuyen.

Starting with Create Food (Target 4, Permanent, +1S drain) as a template, he wants to design the following spell:

Create Water (Target 4, Permanent, +1S base drain)
Area Spell (+1 Drain level)
Extended Area (+1 Drain Level)
Sustained (+1 Drain Target)

All three of these modifiers are available for manipulation spells. The resulting drain code would be +4D. He could easily design the spell at Force 1 in 15 to 30 days, learn it in another day, and bond a force 1 sustaining focus for this spell.

He could presumably visit a town with a dry reservoir, place and activate his spell focus, and create water in an area 60m in radius every Combat Turn until the reservoir is filled. After a few days he turns off the spell lock and moves on. He may take some drain placing the spell lock (resisting 4D), but it'll go away.

Comments?
Kanada Ten
Making it sustained would not allow it create more water. Sustaining it would simply keep the water you made until the spell is dropped, at which time the water would disappear. Think about barrier, it does not create an increasingly larger barrier while sustained.

Area and Extended would simply spread the same volume of water over a larger area.
Playing Games
Force 4 Great form water elementals can make 32CM of water every combat round.I think there are at least 8,640 rounds a day.So for a days cost of a reasonably skilled hematic you get ~200,000 tons of water.

Let's make that a force 6 elemental. You get more than twice as much.

If CFS had a water problem,and would pay more for water than a shadowrunner makes,there would be little not reason for hematic shadow runners in CFS.
Kanada Ten
Every single 32CM of water is a service, IIRC.

Water Elementals last until their services are gone, not sunrise or sunset. Elemental conjuring materials cost 1,000 nuyen per force.
Frag-o Delux
I believe Create Water is already a canon spell in Target: Wastelands, the desert section.
RedmondLarry
Yes, thanks. Page 119. Same stats as I presented above. Creates approximately 4 liters per success. Do you think an area-affect version would create more? There is no indication that a higher-force spell has any benefit over a Force 1 spell.
Kanada Ten
OurTeam
There is no indication that a higher-force spell has any benefit over a Force 1 spell.

Interesting. I though the number of servings for Create Food was force dependant (successes up to force or some such) and assumed Create Water was the same. If not, then I could see allowing an Area and Extended area. Though I would probably just make it force dependant. At some point one must say there is a reason for ritual magic and such. Weather magic is real in SR and groups are paid to perform it. Canon makes that profitable, so something like this cannot be to the same degree. But, I won't argue those points anymore. [handsoffsmiley]
Moonstone Spider
People seem to dislike using the Create Food spell as a template. Last time I suggested create ammo and create Orichalcum they got mad.

Then again considering that spells like toxic wave create highly potent toxic chemicals I think just about anything can be created with enough study.

I can't see any reason to give a permanent spell the sustained option. What's the point? It's self-sustaining.

Anyway, what's the California population? If we divide that by 100 we can have a reasonable figure for how many magicians they have, and thus how much water they could make this way.
Frag-o Delux
I don't have my book handy, but I thought it said it can creat water for people equal to force. 4 Liters is about what a person needs to drink in a normal climate (not desert and under normal conditions(not exsersising) per day to remain healthy. If I remember correctly force 1 would be enough for the mage to survive on 1 casting.

As for the area effect, I would have to think about that. I can't remember exactly how that spell works canonically. Is it a transformation manipulation? If it is then I could see a chance of it being an area spell. If it is not I just don't see it being one.

EDIT: I too have created a creat"Blank" spell. My GM thought it was a great idea. He tried to take my spell even further then what I wanted ti to do. Basically making super uber. I purposelly made it weak and virtually a mind screw to cast. I figued if I could just cast a spell for what ever I wanted, then why play? I jsut made the spell to help in situations that migh only come up in very rare occasions. It was a roleplaying thing that my character is into finding and developing wierd spells.
BitBasher
Then again considering that spells like toxic wave create highly potent toxic chemicals I think just about anything can be created with enough study.
But it doesnt really. Fireball and Acid and the like do NOT stay in existance. they appear, cause their damage then dissipate. It's even addressed in the book.
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (BitBasher)
But it doesnt really. Fireball and Acid and the like do NOT stay in existance. they appear, cause their damage then dissipate. It's even addressed in the book.

Actually it doesn't say they vanish, just that the spells effects last for 1 combat turn. Some of them, such as spells that use smoke or sand effects, are obviously permanent. You could just say whatever fuel the fire burns is used up in 1 turn, or the acid tends to wear out it's potency and become inert in 3 seconds.
Herald of Verjigorm
The acid section in MitS states that it evaporates quickly.

Fire, lightning, blast, and light effects are instant, but the secondary effects may last.
Water, acid, smoke, and ice state a specific primary effect that lasts for the rest of the turn.
Metal and sand have neither type of limit.
L.D
The spell is a permanent one, which means that after you have sustained it for x number of turns you can drop the spell and the water will still be there.
simonw2000
Is the drain code for Create Water the same as for Create Food?
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (simonw2000)
Is the drain code for Create Water the same as for Create Food?
Yes.

I agree that a permanent spell can't be modified to create over and over, so my trick won't work. I'd ask my GM to rule that an Area Affect Create spell should make more than the regular spell, or that an Extended version of the spell should create 10 times as much, but neither would be canon.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions and comments.
Lilt
QUOTE (Create Water @ P119, T:WL)
The number of successes (to a maximum  of the spell's Force) equals the number of adult humans the water will provide for (about 4 litres per success)
Now make it touch range and you have a +1(M) spell.

A good sorcerer with the spell (A dwarf with it at force 5 exclusive for reducd drain and a trauma dampener) should be able to create enough water to feed 19200 per day... If you tweaked that (higher initiative, albino gnome, higher force spell, add some foci, add centering) then you could just cast oxygenate on some of the 'lil buggers and throw them into a resevoir... They'd keep it at a reasonable level.
Crimsondude 2.0
Where exactly are you going to cast this spell in Cali? L.A.? They need it, but the Magic Wars have left the astral just a tad FUBAR. The south bay? It's a toxic hell IIRC. The Mojave? Ditto on need, and they have their own magical problems. The Protectorate? ... The Crescent, where water does exist?
toturi
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Where exactly are you going to cast this spell in Cali? L.A.? They need it, but the Magic Wars have left the astral just a tad FUBAR. The south bay? It's a toxic hell IIRC. The Mojave? Ditto on need, and they have their own magical problems. The Protectorate? ... The Crescent, where water does exist?

Filtering or Cleansing Metamagics.
Crusher Bob
Cast it on your tanker truck just outside of the toxic area, and have that deliver the water...

Panzergeist
Rather than creating water, try condensing it from the air, or filtering it from the sea. Better yet, summon a water elemental and just have it purify water from the ocean and pump it into a tanker truck.
Crusher Bob
Just wait until my sustained 'heat rock' based power plant goes on line, free electricity!
Moonstone Spider
There's a lot of problems in SR that should have been solved a long time ago with magic. There should be no pollution as long as the purify spell exists, for instance. Quicken "Animate" on a turbine to produce pollution free power, or animate your cars so they run forever without gas. Create all the food you need to feed the hungry (although with the land clean you don't really need to, farming will be functional again). Purify water and alter the weather to fix droughts.

Of course Shadowrun is a Gritty and Dark world where problems are never solved, just made worse. I suspect that's the main reason nobody in the whole Sixth world manages to see such solutions, although I could also see some ways it could be integrated into the metaplot.
Digital Heroin
There's not enough mana to sustain enough spells to solve the world's problems, or those of even a single city, let alone California. It's as simple as that.
BitBasher
Also long term sustained spells cause mana hazing and pollute astral space.
Austere Emancipator
Getting loads of ideas for my Forgotten Realms port... vegm.gif
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Also long term sustained spells cause mana hazing and pollute astral space.

That's why you quicken them instead. People with quickened spells don't seem to develop background counts after a couple of weeks.
BitBasher
I was referring to quickening.
Glav
The problem is how do you compensate someone who's quickened those devices? Say, one mage is contracted to make 5000 of those devices. That mage has now made 5000 astral links to himself, and has spent untold amounts of karma. Even if you assume 1 karma for each quickening, that's still 5000 karma. How many players have ever seen 5000 karma, let alone 500 karma? wink.gif And, what does a wage mage do to earn karma? Play tennis a bunch? biggrin.gif

The issue is human limitation...that's the basic reason magically powered devices havn't become prevaliant. Take for example your hypothetical magic-turbine-generator. You'd need some sort of modified "push" or telekenisis spell to pull it off...one that can push the kind of torque needed to generate decent amounts of energy. IF we assume even a very liberal amount of force to push ratio of 1:10 force points to foot-pounds (or whatever they're using in the metric system) you're going to need to cast at least a several hundred force spell to generate decent amounts of power.

As for the magically powered car, you have the karma and force issue.

For a 'steam' system (ie, hot-potato-like spell) it could theoredically be done, but the amount of karma needed to create many small objects that radiate heat would once again be prohibitive.

So, until metascientists find a better way to quicken spells without using karma, or a way to 'conserve' karma (metamagic, anyone? biggrin.gif) you're going to have one difficult time mass producing enough of any of these devices to make it worth it.

Of course, that is unless someone starts up one of those great rituals again. Imagine...a great ghost dance level casting, to create a single completely energy efficient steam power generation plant. One, you'd have 'pellets' that automatically release heat indefinately, and you'd have another set of magic rods to cool down the water. You could put it into a nearly infinate system, minus the minimal leaks. Of course, the amount of human sacrifice to make such a system happen would be drastic...at the present.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Glav)
Play tennis a bunch? biggrin.gif

Full contact golf.
Fortune
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Full contact golf.

Ah, Flog! biggrin.gif
Slapstick
Problem with the calculation for the dwarf/gnome/whatever casting magic all day. Even if you have a high initiative, mages only get to cast once per initiative roll. So, they have to wait the three seconds no matter what, which means that they can /only/ cast 28,800 times a day. And don't forget the statistical certainty that he would cast his spell and roll all ones at some point in the first hour of so. "Sorry boss, I seem to have created a small pool of watery stuff that calls itself Ted and want to talk philosophy."

-Slapstick
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Glav)
The problem is how do you compensate someone who's quickened those devices? Say, one mage is contracted to make 5000 of those devices. That mage has now made 5000 astral links to himself, and has spent untold amounts of karma. Even if you assume 1 karma for each quickening, that's still 5000 karma. How many players have ever seen 5000 karma, let alone 500 karma? wink.gif And, what does a wage mage do to earn karma? Play tennis a bunch? biggrin.gif

The issue is human limitation...that's the basic reason magically powered devices havn't become prevaliant. Take for example your hypothetical magic-turbine-generator. You'd need some sort of modified "push" or telekenisis spell to pull it off...one that can push the kind of torque needed to generate decent amounts of energy. IF we assume even a very liberal amount of force to push ratio of 1:10 force points to foot-pounds (or whatever they're using in the metric system) you're going to need to cast at least a several hundred force spell to generate decent amounts of power.

As for the magically powered car, you have the karma and force issue.

For a 'steam' system (ie, hot-potato-like spell) it could theoredically be done, but the amount of karma needed to create many small objects that radiate heat would once again be prohibitive.

So, until metascientists find a better way to quicken spells without using karma, or a way to 'conserve' karma (metamagic, anyone? biggrin.gif) you're going to have one difficult time mass producing enough of any of these devices to make it worth it.

Of course, that is unless someone starts up one of those great rituals again. Imagine...a great ghost dance level casting, to create a single completely energy efficient steam power generation plant. One, you'd have 'pellets' that automatically release heat indefinately, and you'd have another set of magic rods to cool down the water. You could put it into a nearly infinate system, minus the minimal leaks. Of course, the amount of human sacrifice to make such a system happen would be drastic...at the present.

It may not be so difficult as you're making it out here. Consider: The USA has a population of around 274 million (I'm using data that might be slightly old here). Let's assume all of North America has the same population in 2060, just because I don't have any reliable population data on hand.

1% of these are awakened. That leaves us 2 million seven hundred and fourty thousand awakened beings, but a significant percentage of those will be aspected for conjuring or adepts. Some conjurors might still use spirits for things like purifying water but adepts are SOL for this particular operation. Let's say 1/3 of all awakened beings are unsuitable for this sort of operation.

That leaves us with 1,826,666 people with the power and skills to use magic to solve all the 6th world's problems. Suddenly finding 5,000 Karma doesn't sound so hard. I know Karma supposedly only comes from Shadowruns but that's just plain game mechanics, there has to be some way all those wage-mages and corporate bully-boys manage to learn spells and skills. After all you can also get karma for metagaming, staying in character, etc.

Let's further assume half of all those with the power and skills won't cooperate, they're insane, hermits, toxics, insects, whatever. Frankly I think that's excessive but we're being conservative on our math. We now have 913,333 magicians who want to help, and have the power to do so. If each one contributes 5 Karma (We have no need of 5000 each with so many) you have close to 5 million Force-points worth of quickened spells to use.

Now for the power generator plan. The Levitate spell has TN 4 +1 for each 100 kilos the object weighs. The object can be moved magic attribute* successes meters per turn, up to the force of the spell. Let's go with force 5 per magician for ease of math. We'll assume an object weighing 400 kilos for a TN of 8, not real easy but hardly impossible for most magicians. Most magicians will easily get 1 success at such a test and if they fail, it's only M drain and you don't have to quicken the failures. Moving the object up 2 combat turns, they then let it fall to turn a turbine of some sort.

This will produce 39200 joules of energy, or converted into English 28911 foot-pounds of energy per spell every six seconds. Over the course of a day each spell would thus generate 564480000 joules of power.

Converting this to Kilowatt Hours, we get 156.8 kilowatt hours per day, per spell. That might not sound like much until you consider that this is just one guy, burning the amount of Karma most shadowrunners seem to generate in a couple of weeks.

New York City (as it is today) requires about 36,132 megawatts a month. Multiplying our spell by 31 to represent a month, we get 4860.8 kilowatters. We thus need around 7,434 spells to handle the city's power requirements (This assumes each magician generates a karma of only 5 per year, and that each spell has to be renewed each year). Since New York (as it is today) also has a population of aprox 19,157,532 people, it should possess 191,575 magicians. Cut that to 1/6 to represent all non-eligible and unfriendly mages and we have 31,929 magicians. That leaves us with 24,495 to make magic cars, feed the hungry, and purify the land.

God I love math. I really do.

Kanada Ten
Now pay them.

[edit]
In theroy, we could easily solve the worlds problems today, as of right this second. Just no body really wants to do it. We'd rather watch TV, play Shadowrun, and/or rape people perhaps after smoking some dope.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Slapstick)
Even if you have a high initiative, mages only get to cast once per initiative roll.

...no. Mages can cast as often as they can act. Their spell pool refreshes every 3 seconds, but sorcery only acts like a pool for spell defense.
Moonstone Spider
The Shadowrun Companion puts the price of Karma at an easy 6-25,000 nuyen a point. Compared to the prices of billions of barrels of oil or dangerous nuclear fuels for a nuke plant paying for the Karma would be exceptionally cheap. You could drop the price of electricity by half and still garner extremely fat profits if you were a power-producing megacorp.

Actually we can't fix most of the World's problems today even in theory. If you even divided all the money in the world up between everybody, all the people the world would be well below the poverty line. We simply don't have the wealth. That's not to say a lot of good things couldn't be done, for instance the US' military budget for 1 day would pay for vaccinations for every child on earth, for every disease there's a vaccine for. And there is more than enough food to go around, there's no reasonable excuse for world hunger. But pollution and power requirements are beyond our current ability to fix.
Kanada Ten
Actually we can't fix most of the World's problems today even in theory. If you even divided all the money in the world up between everybody, all the people the world would be well below the poverty line. We simply don't have the wealth.

Not gonna agree here. We're talking solving problems, not giving people xboxes.

And I don't agree with your magic theory either. They have prices for Quickened spells in MitS. They have corporations trying to harness magic to create electricity in TT. Obviously something goes wrong, or it would be working ten years later.
Moonstone Spider
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Actually we can't fix most of the World's problems today even in theory. If you even divided all the money in the world up between everybody, all the people the world would be well below the poverty line. We simply don't have the wealth.

Not gonna agree here. We're talking solving problems, not giving people xboxes.

And I don't agree with your magic theory either. They have prices for Quickened spells in MitS. They have corporations trying to harness magic to create electricity in TT. Obviously something goes wrong, or it would be working ten years later.

Yeah, but you have to look at the cost of solving the problems.

In my example, you're replacing something really expensive (Fuel-power plants) with something cheaper (Magic power plants). While it has a cost, you get something back that's worth even more. That's good business.

Whereas feeding the poor doesn't have any payoff for the one doing the feeding, ditto for vaccinating kids. It has a cost, and you don't get anything that's worth more. That's not good business, so it doesn't happen.

MiTS doesn't have a cost for quickened spells, though most people use the prices for Anchoring Foci. Personally I think Anchoring is a lot more dangerous, since you'll get hit with random drain just when you need it least.

As I said, Shadowrun is a dark gritty universe where good things don't happen. Given the world's conditions and description, there's no reason this wouldn't work. However the Hand of God would come down and mess it up if it was working, just to keep the universe dark and gritty.
Kanada Ten
However the Hand of God would come down and mess it up if it was working, just to keep the universe dark and gritty.

You mean, Shiawase? They use fusion power, super cheap, according to canon.

I don't agree with the idea that free power would suddenly change anything. They'd still charge to deliver it and support the lines. The average wageslave has no worries about any of that as is, safe inside the arcology. In fact, free power is just one more step in removing the need for people. In SR, power is cheap. Your car can run off Solar-Cell, GridGuide, or methanol. The world is still dark because the people who buy it are just numbers if they are lucky.
BitBasher
I disagree the world is dark. The part of the world that the characters interact with is, but for Joe Citizen it's really not. I have never really seen anything to suggest it's worse than today.
Moonstone Spider
The problem is, it seems like any nuclear option in Shadowrun melts down or explodes every other thursday. Look at the sheer number of industrial accidents in Shadowrun's history involving nuke plants.

Still if Power's Dirt cheap there's still a lot of other problems magic could fix but doesn't.
RedmondLarry
New idea. Extended area-effect spell similar to hot-potato. It makes people think their thirst has been quenched. Should make my mage a lot of nuyen. wink.gif
Moonstone Spider
Why not make one that actually does quench their thirst, ala Oxygenate? Have a bit higher drain as a health spell rather than an illusion but it'd be much more effective, the illusion would only last while sustained which could lead to angry customers after your head very quickly.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Why not make one that actually does quench their thirst, ala Oxygenate?

Because, sometimes, you really don't want return business.
Kanada Ten
Rehydrate would certainly be an excellent Health spell. Can Health spells be area effect though?

The Chill-Out spell would be single sense, voluntary target, and area effect. Basically have the same drain as entertainment so long as the target remains in the area. But what a great replacement for air conditioners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012