Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metamagic: Cleansing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 13 2010, 01:13 PM) *
FIXED

Centering is a free action last I checked?
Mäx
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 13 2010, 09:15 PM) *
Centering is a free action last I checked?

And ofcource you had to quote me while i was changing that.
Mooncrow
^^ Edited =)
SaintHax
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 13 2010, 01:13 PM) *
Sadly those 2 thinks cant be combined as they both take a free action to do.

Cleansing takes a complex action for each point cleansed, iirc. But I wasn't looking to do both at the same time. I was considering which to take first.
Mäx
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Aug 13 2010, 10:05 PM) *
Cleansing takes a complex action for each point cleansed, iirc. But I wasn't looking to do both at the same time. I was considering which to take first.

I meant combining centering and calling your melee attack.
SaintHax
QUOTE (Mäx @ Aug 13 2010, 02:13 PM) *
I meant combining centering and calling your melee attack.

I disagree that Adept Centering is a free action. Mainly b/c the number one thing that adepts would use it for would be called shots. Also, SR4A has Adept Centering listed in it, yet it's not on page 179 of that book detailed under Free, Simple, or Complex Actions. Also in that book, it states it's "similar" to Centering, but doesn't mention that it needs a free action. Centering follows that paragraph (pg. 198) and specifically states a Free Action is needed. It seems to be a truely free, or Synergy action.
Grinder
It would be pointless if an adept couldn't use Adept Centering at the same phase as the action whose penalties he wants to reduce (as Adept Centering denies one such penalty).
Udoshi
QUOTE (SaintHax @ Aug 13 2010, 09:25 AM) *
Subjective musings aside, from a GM stand point, you are wanting to take a cheap quality that will allow you to mimic TWO meta magics, that requires a spirit to continually grant you this power in exchange for it being able to cast one of your spells, and get it 365/24/7. Is your GM going to say, "You know... mages are underpowered, this seems both fair and reasonable in the realm of Shadow Run reality".

And from another GM standpoint....... your Quality never goes away. The bond may end, but the player still has a spirit pact quality at X force. Why should their expensive quality only work once and then vanish forever?

It goes both ways. You paid for something, you should get the bonus.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Aug 13 2010, 07:19 PM) *
And from another GM standpoint....... your Quality never goes away. The bond may end, but the player still has a spirit pact quality at X force. Why should their expensive quality only work once and then vanish forever?

It goes both ways. You paid for something, you should get the bonus.

That is not the only way to get spirit pacts though. A 24 hour version would be what I'd call a bad choice for the spirit pact quality.

It specifically says it can be renewed an unlimited number of times "provided that the spirit can be bribed sufficiently to want to do so."

I have never interpreted that to mean you will be getting it all the time. In fact my general assumption has always been you will lose it and relatively soon, unless the player can come up with some awesome bribes. And as far as I know the only bribery a spirit usually takes is karma. So yeah if they want to karma sink into this they can have it for a long time.
Neraph
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Aug 13 2010, 12:59 PM) *
Human interaction is complicated.

Back to original question: to echo what others have said, Cleansing and Filtering are fantastic buys, especially if you're a heavy spirit user. Though, Centering could potentially be superior if you're more of a heavy spellcaster.

Wait, since when does Filtering extend to your spirits?

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist Posted Today, 09:07 PM )
I have never interpreted that to mean you will be getting it all the time. In fact my general assumption has always been you will lose it and relatively soon, unless the player can come up with some awesome bribes. And as far as I know the only bribery a spirit usually takes is karma. So yeah if they want to karma sink into this they can have it for a long time.

heh, I have the mental image of the spirit coming back to the mage in an ally somewhere, the spirit all like "Hey, you have any new spells?" "yeah, yeah I got new spells. Man do I got new spells for yah. You won't believe the new spells I got ya. You got the Aura Masking?" "Yup. I got it riiiight here."

I also have a different one of a spirit coming to the mage and pulling out a calendar, like "Yes, I'm aware that you want to have Aura Masking, but I'm booked until the 23rd of next month."
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 13 2010, 11:31 PM) *
Wait, since when does Filtering extend to your spirits?

Filtering doesn't effect spirits directly, but if you're going to get cleansing, filtering is too useful to pass up. My bad though, I wasn't clear on that train of thought.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 13 2010, 11:31 PM) *
heh, I have the mental image of the spirit coming back to the mage in an ally somewhere, the spirit all like "Hey, you have any new spells?" "yeah, yeah I got new spells. Man do I got new spells for yah. You won't believe the new spells I got ya. You got the Aura Masking?" "Yup. I got it riiiight here."

I also have a different one of a spirit coming to the mage and pulling out a calendar, like "Yes, I'm aware that you want to have Aura Masking, but I'm booked until the 23rd of next month."

Heh, now I want to do this.
Neraph
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Aug 14 2010, 12:54 AM) *
Heh, now I want to do this.

See, you people think I'm crazy when I say the things I say. I'm not, I promise. Lookie at my signature.

Even with seemingly crazy things game balance can be preserved with the proper application of maturity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012