Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parry/Counterattack/Martial Arts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
Hey guys,

I can probably find *something* in the rules about these melee defenses but...how do these work:

Parry/Riposte instead of dodge (most of the combat skills mention at least parrying/blocking)
Counterattack instead of dodge (can you just take the hit and hit back?)
Defensive Martial Arts (Jujitsu, Kung Fu, using opponents attack against them)

Is it possible to injure your attacker on a defensive roll?

So...somebody tries to hit you with a katana, rolls like 10 dice to hit, you can:
1. Roll Reaction + Dodge
2. Roll Reaction + Combat skill to parry or block
3. Go on full defense and roll Reaction + Dodge + Dodge
4. ????

Dashifen
Based on the basic rules, a Parry is simply using Reaction + Weapon Skill in melee to avoid damage. In this case Weapon Skill replaces "Dodge" and you can use Unarmed Combat to represent an unarmed block.

There are rules for Martial Arts in Arsenal which actually provides Martial Arts maneuvers for ripostes. It allows you to "borrow" later actions in order to act again after successfully parrying a blow, if I remember correctly.
Reg06
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Aug 23 2010, 04:03 PM) *

There is a martial arts manuever (riposte I believe) that allows you to make an immediate action attack if you successfully parry an attack (that is, use weapon skill + reaction to completely negate an attack). So your defensive roll doesn't deal damage, but it does give you the opportunity to possibly deal damage.
Caadium
Of course, if you are playing a SR version before 4th, if the defender rolled more successes than the attacker then the attacker did in fact take damage.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Caadium @ Aug 23 2010, 03:09 PM) *
Of course, if you are playing a SR version before 4th, if the defender rolled more successes than the attacker then the attacker did in fact take damage.

Indeed... Beware the Troll Melee Character who gets in close enough to hook and jab... he generally did damage on both his attacks and his defense... Of course, Elves were good for this as well, they just did not pack as much of a whallop... smokin.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Aug 23 2010, 09:03 AM) *

Yes, if you combine the disarm maneuver with the Arnis De Mano ability to inflict damage upon a successful disarm.
Yerameyahu
I dunno if that counts as 'defensive' in the context. smile.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 24 2010, 05:30 AM) *
I dunno if that counts as 'defensive' in the context. smile.gif

I would say yes, as the disarm is a full-parry action.
Yerameyahu
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought that Disarm was an 'active' maneuver, not a reactive one. It's still not what the OP described, but it's certainly a defensive roll.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012