Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Implanted Foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Dashifen
A player has decided to try and figure out a way that her character's foci could be essentially guaranteed not to be dropped by accident: dermal implants! My feeling is that this is probably fine as long as she agrees they can still be targeted for counterspelling via the astral plane.

Anyone have any other ideas or warnings?

Now, my next fear is that she'll want to use her critter form while sustaining Armor, for example, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Neurosis
Apparently, this is a real and canonical thing! Jane "Frosty" Foster had a spell lock (read: 1E equivalent of Sustaining Focus only super broken) implanted in her leg bone. I have no idea if that kind of shenanigans should be permissible for PCs or really anyone but Immortal Elves, however. Foci should probably not cost Essence!
Yerameyahu
How about duct tape instead? smile.gif

There's nothing terribly *wrong* about implanted foci. My general rule is never, ever implant something that you can simply carry, but if that's what the character wants…
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 2 2010, 02:54 PM) *
Apparently, this is a real and canonical thing! Jane "Frosty" Foster had a spell lock (read: 1E equivalent of Sustaining Focus only super broken) implanted in her leg bone. I have no idea if that kind of shenanigans should be permissible for PCs or really anyone but Immortal Elves, however. Foci should probably not cost Essence!

I think the players living body is "opaque" on the Astral so the focus could not be targeted there is it was truely implanted. There needs to be a downside for balance reasons. I guess you could have someone try to steal the focus anyway, might be a good oportunity for that character to get a cyberleg involuntarily.

Ahh 1e, couldn't you ground out spells through spell locks? I seem to remember you could throw Hellblast (or whatever the AOE fire spell was) on the astral at a dual natured entity, and it would ground out and manifest on the physical plane with all the AOE goodness.

Neurosis
1E magic is totally incomprehensible because SPELLS are treated as COMBATANTS (like spirits). I don't even want to talk about it. 1E is pretty Fubar. But essentially a Spell Lock was an infinite force sustaining focus (that you could 'pin' to an enemy for say a permanent petrify) that cost 1 Karma to bond. Essentially it was DISCOUNT QUICKENING. Ridiculously expensive in terms of Nuyen though.

No idea about the situation you're describing.

My general rule is never, ever implant something that you can simply carry, but if that's what the character wants…

Isn't the general rule of Shadowrun the exact inverse of this. : P
Yerameyahu
*shrug* I'd rather carry a UWB Radar on my shoulder than pay surgery and Essence to get it in my chest. Same for everything. smile.gif Some implants are totally unique (or at least, significantly more effective), and those are the ones I'd get. So, never an implant Commlink, but maybe a gyro-wrist or Grip Feet, etc. smile.gif
sabs
from a Purely Fluff point of view.

In Earthdawn, you can use Blood Magic to "attach" a foci on to you for a year and a day
It's actually very common (as is blood magic in general)

So that might be how the Whats Her Name has a foci attached to her bone.
Neurosis
It was also IIRC super-duper-ultra masked and totally impossible to detect through astral perception. Fuck rules mechanics, Immortal Elves do what they want.

/strut
sabs
Remember Immortal Elves know Thread Magic, and some serious Aura Altering Magic from Earthdawn..

They cheat.

Doc Byte
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 2 2010, 09:12 PM) *
*shrug* I'd rather carry a UWB Radar on my shoulder than pay surgery and Essence to get it in my chest. Same for everything. smile.gif Some implants are totally unique (or at least, significantly more effective), and those are the ones I'd get. So, never an implant Commlink, but maybe a gyro-wrist or Grip Feet, etc. smile.gif

My concept looks like this: Drop my character out of an airplain in the middle of nowhere with nothing but his pants and he'll be knocking at your frontdoor some days later. cyber.gif
Johnny B. Good
I like it when people can't take my nifty toys away from me cyber.gif

But as with most implants, implanted foci would probably cost essence.

See also: Tattooing and ritual scarring.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Johnny B. Good @ Sep 2 2010, 02:00 PM) *
But as with most implants, implanted foci would probably cost essence.

That was also something I'd considered. I think it's somewhat in keeping with the idea that body enhancements not paid for via Essence don't interact well with magic.

suoq
Personally, I'd decide and mention to the player that they're also changing their astral form. They're going to be brighter where the foci is located and that's going to make them a bit more recognizable.

(I know I'm probably using the wrong terms. Trying to mentally shift gears.)
Stahlseele
Skin pocket.
And as long as it's something like putting shaped metals under your skin, then no, no essence cost.
that's purely aesthetic/cosmetic stuff, not some kind of ware. The fact that it is, indeed, magically active, does not change that.
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 2 2010, 04:31 PM) *
Skin pocket.
And as long as it's something like putting shaped metals under your skin, then no, no essence cost.
that's purely aesthetic/cosmetic stuff, not some kind of ware. The fact that it is, indeed, magically active, does not change that.

Yes.

I kinda want to play a mage that has a Power/Sustaining/Weapon stacked focus cyberhand/forearm. Not sure which of the "/" options I'd choose, but I'd like to crunch it out sometime.

Back to OP: What character does your player play? You mentioned about a critter form - was that a spell or is the character a Shifter? If (s)he's a shifter the implant would only be viable in the natural animal form.
Mäx
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2010, 07:30 AM) *
If (s)he's a shifter the implant would only be viable in the natural animal form.

Ware implants only work in their natural form, but i don't see any reason for a Foci to stop working when they shift implanted or not, it's not like implants in shifters disappear into hyperspace when they shift into metahumans. grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 3 2010, 08:04 AM) *
Ware implants only work in their natural form, but i don't see any reason for a Foci to stop working when they shift implanted or not, it's not like implants in shifters disappear into hyperspace when they shift into metahumans. grinbig.gif

No, they disappear to the meta plane of teknologikal bitz.
You won't find traces of the implant in the metahuman form, when it has been implanted in the animal form.
Only the lessened essence, as far as i remember. It's magic!
Also, seeing how i think fox shifters keep their tails even in human form(is that correct?), then why not play a kangaroo shifter and keep the skin pocket in both forms? *snickers*
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2010, 07:30 AM) *
I kinda want to play a mage that has a Power/Sustaining/Weapon stacked focus cyberhand/forearm. Not sure which of the "/" options I'd choose, but I'd like to crunch it out sometime.

IME spurs as weapon foci are quite common.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2010, 03:41 AM) *
No, they disappear to the meta plane of teknologikal bitz.
You won't find traces of the implant in the metahuman form, when it has been implanted in the animal form.
Only the lessened essence, as far as i remember. It's magic!
Also, seeing how i think fox shifters keep their tails even in human form(is that correct?), then why not play a kangaroo shifter and keep the skin pocket in both forms? *snickers*

Actually, the wording, at least in the shapeshifter description, says that they stop functioning but do not disappear. Conversely, the drake descriptions says that they actually disappear^^
Dashifen
QUOTE (Mooncrow @ Sep 3 2010, 06:07 AM) *
Actually, the wording, at least in the shapeshifter description, says that they stop functioning but do not disappear. Conversely, the drake descriptions says that they actually disappear^^

I never noticed that difference. I've always run drake shifting like the shapeshifter description. This player isn't sure if she wants to play a shifter, drake, or just a magician with a critter form spell, but she does want a way to use foci to try and avoid penalties in either form. Interestingly, she's going for an aquatic animal form so she's looking at a seal shifter, sea drake, or <insert amphibious animal here> critter form with a Geas on her magic that she must consume at least <units> water of Puget Sound per day or suffer the Geas. But, I digress.

Mooncrow
Yeah, I run both cases like the shapeshifting description, because it at least makes sense^^
Fringe
QUOTE (TommyTwoToes @ Sep 2 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I think the players living body is "opaque" on the Astral so the focus could not be targeted there is it was truely implanted. There needs to be a downside for balance reasons. I guess you could have someone try to steal the focus anyway, might be a good oportunity for that character to get a cyberleg involuntarily.

Ahh 1e, couldn't you ground out spells through spell locks? I seem to remember you could throw Hellblast (or whatever the AOE fire spell was) on the astral at a dual natured entity, and it would ground out and manifest on the physical plane with all the AOE goodness.

I would argue that since the focus draws mana through astral space it would be targetable in astral space. The subject's aura might grant the equivalent of cover, though, and a masked focus might be even harder to target.

Yes, I recall from 1e and 2e that you could ground spells through active foci...a potential balance to spell locks, for instance. Just another reason to initiate, so you could run those metaplanar quests to conceal the links to foci. (That's in 4e as well, in SM.) Basically, in order to track the link the tracker has to complete the same quest you did to conceal it...it only takes a Complex Action (IIRC), but you have to be an initiate (or have a spirit with Astral Gateway send you there) to do it.
Stahlseele
Geas on her magic that she must consume at least <units> water of Puget Sound per day or suffer

if she does that, then she will have much bigger problems. like poisoning herself to death in one day or so . .
suoq
I don't see how opaque the body can be when you can assense it and see what kind of ware, diseases, toxins are inside the body. Spotting a glowing focus shouldn't be that hard.
Stahlseele
WARE is a dead spot.
Your aura itself is glowing. Sickness changes colour/makes coloured Streaks.
As do poisons/toxins in certain places. Foci are glowing like your own aura.
Try and discern a single LED in one of those big screens in stadiums and the such.
suoq
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 3 2010, 08:51 AM) *
WARE is a dead spot.
Your aura itself is glowing. Sickness changes colour/makes coloured Streaks.
As do poisons/toxins in certain places. Foci are glowing like your own aura.
Try and discern a single LED in one of those big screens in stadiums and the such.

Again, I don't understand. Are you saying the foci is glowing exactly the same as you are? Given the term "Christmas Tree" and the power level of the foci compared to the space it takes up, I would have thought it would be glowing a lot brighter than the rest of you. Ans since it isn't taking up essence, it's not replacing a dead spot with something glowing, it's glowing in addition to your own glow.

If it's not obviously visible, I seriously don't understand the term "Christmas Tree".
Doc Chase
It's pretty obvious in the astral when you're rocking a foci - I could see someone being able to see it when it's implanted.

"What's...What's that near his waist? It's giving off...incredible power!"

Heh. Heh. Awwwwwl riiiight.
Yerameyahu
If you're gaining the advantages of 'no-drop' *and* 'stealth focus', the cost has to be commensurate. If hiding a focus in your coat pocket doesn't 'stealth' it, neither should a skin pocket (no cost). If you implant it with essence, then you've got more ground to stand on; does that work for foci, or only enchanted items? I feel like the FAQ addressed this, but mostly by saying 'read the Magic book that'll never be published'. frown.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 3 2010, 08:31 AM) *
If you're gaining the advantages of 'no-drop' *and* 'stealth focus', the cost has to be commensurate.

That's sort of where I'm coming from. I'm leaning towards giving her the choice of the following:

1. Implant the focus without spending Essence but then it remains a valid target via Astral Perception as it's not a part of your holistic aura.
  2. Implant the focus and spend Essence and you the no-drop, stealth focus that isn't a viable target because it's now a part of your holistic aura.

#1 is no-cost for essence but means I could blast the focus if I have the need to while #2 protects the focus but at the cost of her mgaic. Granted, someone would have to be in fairly dire straights to decide to target the focus with a spell and not the player so it's probably an exercise in creative rules lawyering and little else.
Doc Chase
Depending on what the focus is, you're losing 1 die generally for 1-5 additional dice specifically.

One could always use the focus as an astral link to drop an ickyspell of some sort on the physical location. If it's implanted, it's like hitting one of those Graboids from Tremors with a bomb.
Neurosis
If implanted cyberware is visible on the Astral implanted foci should be too. Bright spot/dark spot.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 3 2010, 10:26 AM) *
Depending on what the focus is, you're losing 1 die generally for 1-5 additional dice specifically.

That's the same ratio for most cyber/bio style mages, though. Take synaptic boosters and some other useful augmentations costing you 1 essence and sacrifice that point (die) for the bonuses that you receive from the ware.
Neraph
Don't forget Foci Addiction.

EDIT:
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Sep 3 2010, 06:00 AM) *
IME spurs as weapon foci are quite common.

Actually I was thinking of a hand/forearm Weapon Focus for Unarmed.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2010, 11:31 AM) *

Might end up being an exotic melee....
sabs
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Sep 3 2010, 06:39 PM) *
Might end up being an exotic melee....

Unless said Foci is.. forexample.. bandage wrapping for your hands. smile.gif
Mooncrow
QUOTE (sabs @ Sep 3 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Unless said Foci is.. forexample.. bandage wrapping for your hands. smile.gif

I did a huge, living rock fist as a focus for one of my player's SURGED, fomori adepts... wink.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 3 2010, 07:27 AM) *
It's pretty obvious in the astral when you're rocking a foci - I could see someone being able to see it when it's implanted.

Giggity giggity goo!

I'm nut sure if I would use a power focus there or a sustaining focus, however....
Doc Chase
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 3 2010, 06:49 PM) *
Giggity giggity goo!

I'm nut sure if I would use a power focus there or a sustaining focus, however....

*cough* Weapon focus.
Mistwalker
How about a belly button ring (or other bodily piercing that can be covered up by clothing)?

This would give her the no drop option, but also leave the foci as exposed as any other foci to being astrally attacked or taken/stolen.

Implanted or piercing, I think that the focus should be viewable and attackable from astral when it is active. The essence cost would be the payment for the no take/steal option.
jimbo
After reading the earlier thread on tattoos as foci, I decided my shao-lin magician with dragon brands on inner forearms was going to have said brands turned into foci.

Scenario 1, "normal foci"...they can be dropped, stolen, targetted, cause logistical problems when shapechanging, but can be left at home or secured as the situation warrants. Probably more cons than pros though.

Scenario 2, "implants/tattoos"...

"Can I have my arm back? Yeah, the one you guys shot off. I mean, we're cool now and all, but it has sentimental value to me..."

or

"Hey boss, howzbout we take his sustaining focus as payment?"
"Excellent idea, Sonny. Grab a hacksaw..."
"Eeep," says tatted mage.
Yerameyahu
I still say duct tape is the easiest option. smile.gif
Neraph
One of the former Denarians from the Dresden Files would routinely eat his coin and when it came back out he'd clean it off and swallow it again. You could do that also with small foci.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 4 2010, 05:58 AM) *
One of the former Denarians from the Dresden Files would routinely eat his coin and when it came back out he'd clean it off and swallow it again. You could do that also with small foci.

"Don't look at me! I told you not to enchant the fishhook. I told you!"
suoq
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2010, 09:58 PM) *

I think I'd warn the character that they're going to have to assense their poo every day. Just a TR1 but don't glitch it.
Neraph
QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 4 2010, 11:33 AM) *
I think I'd warn the character that they're going to have to assense their poo every day. Just a TR1 but don't glitch it.

Nah, poo through a sieve(?). Sift out your buried treasure!
Dumori
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Sep 3 2010, 03:27 PM) *

New post in the what I can't do thread. I will not make my penile implant a weapons focus. Or any focus for that matter.
jaellot
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2010, 12:31 PM) *
Don't forget Foci Addiction.

EDIT:

I got a player who has brass knuckles for an Unarmed Focus. He forgets he has it, but he does enough damage anyway...
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Mistwalker @ Sep 4 2010, 04:34 AM) *
How about a belly button ring (or other bodily piercing that can be covered up by clothing)?

This would give her the no drop option, but also leave the foci as exposed as any other foci to being astrally attacked or taken/stolen.

Implanted or piercing, I think that the focus should be viewable and attackable from astral when it is active. The essence cost would be the payment for the no take/steal option.

Doesn't work.
Strict rule of separated layers of the world.
NO GROUNDING.
Yerameyahu
Huh? Active foci can be astrally attacked. That's not grounding.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 4 2010, 03:47 PM) *
Doesn't work.
Strict rule of separated layers of the world.
NO GROUNDING.

I wasn't talking about grounding out a spell from astral through a spell lock or such.

I was talking about being able to attack the foci in astral space when it had been activated, to deactivate it.

While it does not come right out and state that foci can be attacked while they are active, it is inferred.

Activation, p. 199, SR4A states that active foci have an astral form.
Astral Forms, p. 193, SR4A states that only mana spells affect astral forms.

Unless I am have missed something, to me those two references mean that active foci can be attacked and deactivated. While it is a Simple Action to activate a foci, it will stop a mage from casting the following Initiative Pass and an adept from attacking with that weapon focus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012