Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberarms vs Bonelacing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kraegor
So does anyone thing that the Cyberarm Str/2 damage is weird compared to someone with Bone Lacing or Bone Density doing like Str/2 + 3?

I mean.. I am basically hitting you with a metal fist, at least with bone lacing and bone density you are having skin/flesh covering the hand/arm.

Shouldn't they be around the same or something?
Yerameyahu
Game balance. It helps not to think about logic.
Doc Byte
AFAIR cyberarms did cause more damage in SR3. I think +1 / arm or leg.
Aerospider
Don't forget that cyberarms come with their own Strength rating whilst bone lacing is in addition to the user's existing strength.

For example, character A has Strength 3 and character B has a cyberarm with Strength 3. Then A gets bone lacing and his DV is now higher than the cyberarm.

A cyberarm would need a massive 6-point Strength boost to equate to the bone lacing in DV terms, but then when you consider redlining the whole thing can be explained as the cyberarm's capabilities being reigned in for the user's safety.
jaellot
I think you are right about SR3 doing that.

If it helps, keep in mind that ther cyberarm is going to have plastic, plasteel maybe, as well as the metal bits and pieces to it. It's not going to be solid, as all the gears and sprockets and servos and so on are going to need the room for... doing mechanical... stuff.

But hey, one thing I can do better with a cyberarm than a flesh and bone hand- pick up hot things. Or cold things. Or spikey/sharp things. All that plastic/metal isn't going to care about the extreme temps, or bits of glass.
Mäx
QUOTE (jaellot @ Sep 6 2010, 02:23 PM) *
But hey, one thing I can do better with a cyberarm than a flesh and bone hand- pick up hot things. Or cold things. Or spikey/sharp things. All that plastic/metal isn't going to care about the extreme temps, or bits of glass.

Just remember to turn of the sensory input from the hand before trying that, or its gonna hurt like hell wink.gif
Saint Sithney
Quick fix.

Make Armor cost more and increase the DV of attacks made with that limb.
Neurosis
It is weird that bone lacing is better by default, but cyberarms CAN be specc'd towards punchin far harder than lacy bones, especially with the rules in Augmentation. If you have a Cyberarm, though, and want to use it for punchin', why not put a shock hand in it? It's like Stick-n-Shock punches!
jakephillips
I think it is weird that bone lacing at high levels does more damage than a mono sword or spurs... Seems to make the melee skill kinda a waste of time just take unarmed and bonelacing or a shock hand.
Neraph
No, the armor penetration from the other weapons gives you more of an, excuse the pun, edge.

R4 Density is what, 1/2str + 3? That's the same as a monosword, but the sword has AP. And R4 Density does the same damage as a Cyberspur.
Summerstorm
I would fix that like this (I call it a fix, because i assume it was just an oversight):

Concealed Cyberlimb: Str/2+1
Obvious Cyberlimb: Str/2+2
Obvious with bulk modification: Str/2+3

That makes it comparable to density modified/laced bones.
Magus
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 6 2010, 05:03 PM) *
It is weird that bone lacing is better by default, but cyberarms CAN be specc'd towards punchin far harder than lacy bones, especially with the rules in Augmentation. If you have a Cyberarm, though, and want to use it for punchin', why not put a shock hand in it? It's like Stick-n-Shock punches!

Well the word from on high is that you do not get both. You either get the damage from the shock hand or the damage from the punch. Not both as that would be stacking the damage and is not allowed by RAW in this case.
Neraph
I didn't feel the need to bring that up, but it's right. Shock hand as touch or fist as punch, not both.
Neurosis
QUOTE (Magus @ Sep 6 2010, 11:48 PM) *
Well the word from on high is that you do not get both. You either get the damage from the shock hand or the damage from the punch. Not both as that would be stacking the damage and is not allowed by RAW in this case.

I know! The damage from the Shock Hand is more than enough. : )

I'm just calling it a 'Stick'n'Shock punch' because the fluff for Shock Hands says that the induction pads can be on the knuckles. I was never under the impression that it was STR/2 + 6S(e) instead of just 6S(e). 6S(e) is pretty friggin' good (I just made a thread about it).
Mäx
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 7 2010, 08:31 AM) *
6S(e) is pretty friggin' good (I just made a thread about it).

Only for non melee character, 6S(e) is pretty pathetic damage for an actual melee character.
My shifter adept for example does does 9P(e) damage in her natural form.
Neraph
My AI does 7P with 2 reach with his staff. Plus successes.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 7 2010, 04:35 AM) *
No, the armor penetration from the other weapons gives you more of an, excuse the pun, edge.

R4 Density is what, 1/2str + 3? That's the same as a monosword, but the sword has AP. And R4 Density does the same damage as a Cyberspur.
Don't forget reach either. None of the implanted weapons have reach.
(Your own) Cyberarms cannot be dual-wielded nor can the bone improvements. External weaponry can. With the right maneuver you can even go on full defense while attacking.
Neraph
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 7 2010, 12:59 AM) *
With the right maneuver you can even go on full defense while attacking.

One of my personal favorites, by the way. It mimics my IRL fighting style. Or I mimic it. Or something.

And that's the key to the Grammaton Cleric. Clubs, melee hardened pistols, Pistols, a few Firefight + Krav Maga, Two Weapon Style, and Riposte.

Add a troll dualing 1-handed sniper rifles with Longarms instead of Pistols and it's real fun.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 7 2010, 09:02 AM) *
Add a troll dualing 1-handed sniper rifles with Longarms instead of Pistols and it's real fun.
Now this looks just stupid.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Sep 7 2010, 09:04 AM) *
Now this looks just stupid.

You have never watched Hellsing i guess *snickers*
Also, fuck snipers, use panther assault cannons.
Or if you need to conceal them, shotguns with Burst-Fire.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 7 2010, 10:08 AM) *
You have never watched Hellsing i guess *snickers*
I did and the statement above applies to that anime as well. The same goes for little girls with swords twice as tall and wide as themselves.
Also, fuck snipers, use panther assault cannons.
No comment
Or if you need to conceal them, shotguns with Burst-Fire.
I can live with that.
Stahlseele
"Needs moar dakka!" - NO EXCEPTIONS! ^^
If you can make it awesome, you can also make it over the top awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012