Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix/technomancer question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowWalker
Some questions about the matrix rules:

Hot sim adds + 2 to all matrix tests.
Does that include Compiling, Registering, Threading, Fading, and/or Matrix Perception?
For that mater, does it include defense from attack or damage resistance?
I'm thinking damage resistance shouldn't be included. It is after all supposed to be more dangerous to ones health to do this.

If it includes Matrix Perception does that mean that a Technomancer gets +4 in VR and +2 in AR?

Technomancers get a +1 to Response when in VR. Can this increase Response above Resonance when in VR?
Can Echoes like Overclocking, System Upgrade, etc increase their respective attribute above Resonance?
Aaron
"Note that this is not an exhaustive list of actions that may be performed in the Matrix, but a list of actions designated as “Matrix actions” for the purposes of game mechanics, such as the bonus for using hot sim." (p. 228, SR4A)
Karoline
QUOTE (ShadowWalker @ Sep 10 2010, 10:43 AM) *
Some questions about the matrix rules:

Hot sim adds + 2 to all matrix tests.
Does that include Compiling, Registering, Threading, Fading, and/or Matrix Perception?
For that mater, does it include defense from attack or damage resistance?
I'm thinking damage resistance shouldn't be included. It is after all supposed to be more dangerous to ones health to do this.

If it includes Matrix Perception does that mean that a Technomancer gets +4 in VR and +2 in AR?

Technomancers get a +1 to Response when in VR. Can this increase Response above Resonance when in VR?
Can Echoes like Overclocking, System Upgrade, etc increase their respective attribute above Resonance?

The only thing it wouldn't include is damage resistance, since that happens in the physical world, not the matrix. This does mean a TM gets +4 to perception while in VR and +2 in AR.

The book never says anything about the bonuses from VR response, overclocking, etc being able to push a matrix attribute higher than resonance, so strictly speaking, those things are still limited to your resonance.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 11 2010, 09:55 AM) *
The only thing it wouldn't include is damage resistance, since that happens in the physical world, not the matrix.

For riggers, for some reason it DOES include damage resistance, as the qualifier for them is "all actions, whenever they're jumped-in".

It should probably NOT be for riggers, same as for hackers. I guess add it to the list of "rules that need fixing".

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 11 2010, 07:00 AM) *
For riggers, for some reason it DOES include damage resistance, as the qualifier for them is "all actions, whenever they're jumped-in".

It should probably NOT be for riggers, same as for hackers. I guess add it to the list of "rules that need fixing".

Well, Riggers still do not soak Damage in the Matrix (Unless it is to their Matrix Persona)... Any physical damage inflicted to the Rigger's body doesn not get the bonus... any other interpretation makes absolutely no sense...
nylanfs
Actually I have a question on technomancers that I haven't been able to determine (and page references would help). Can a technomancer's commlink scores go above 6? It doesn't say that anywhere I can find.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Sep 11 2010, 02:50 PM) *
Actually I have a question on technomancers that I haven't been able to determine (and page references would help). Can a technomancer's commlink scores go above 6? It doesn't say that anywhere I can find.

A Technomancer's Bionode is based upon the Character's Attributes, so yes, if his relevant attributes go above 6, then so do his Bionode's Stats... Of course, they are generally capped at his Resonance though; but since you can raise Resonance as high as you like (With Submersions and Attribute Increases), this is really not that big of a deal... smokin.gif
Yerameyahu
Well. It's kind of a big deal, because getting your Resonance to 6 in the first place isn't cheap, and you need those BP for other things as well. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 11 2010, 09:09 PM) *
Well. It's kind of a big deal, because getting your Resonance to 6 in the first place isn't cheap, and you need those BP for other things as well. smile.gif

Sure... A Technomancer is Karma Intensive, there is no question; but it is not hard to develop a Technomancer BECAUSE they have so much that they need to buy... smokin.gif

You have no lack of options to purchase... wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
Haha, that's true. smile.gif Very glass-half-full. biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 11 2010, 09:47 PM) *
Haha, that's true. smile.gif Very glass-half-full. biggrin.gif

I tend to prefer optimism to cynicism... smokin.gif
Yerameyahu
Indeed. It's not horrible pit of Karma debt to climb out of, it's an opportunity to practice climbing. smile.gif
Karoline
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2010, 12:04 AM) *
I tend to prefer optimism to cynicism... smokin.gif

You've obviously never heard the story of the two princes.
Karoline
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 11 2010, 10:00 AM) *

Damage resistance isn't an action though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012