Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Armor spell
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Neurosis
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 24 2010, 03:20 PM) *
Unless you're much better at Detection than Health, which you might be. Or your Reaction is high, but you (quite understandably) want even more protection. Again, it depends. smile.gif Why does everything have to be a blanket categorical statement? Try this: 'Increase Reaction is a better choice in many cases.' biggrin.gif

The primary difference in Drain between Armor and Increase Body comes from Armor being LOS. Learn a T version of Armor. smile.gif

You're right. That's not objectively annoying at all. It must just be me. sarcastic.gif
Yerameyahu
biggrin.gif How can *anything* be 'objectively' annoying?
Mongoose
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 24 2010, 03:06 PM) *
I'm not sure the cyberlimb armor doesn't count. wink.gif Depending on how sane the GM is, of course.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The armor takes up cyberlimb capacity, just like various accessories. Those accessories don't cause encumbrance, so why should the armor? Now, if you increase the limb capacity- then, yah, you face encumbrance, but that's regardless of what you put in there.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 24 2010, 08:05 PM) *
To me, the Armor spell is bad, and not for any numbers reason.

It puts a great big glowing "I'M A MAGE" sign on your back.

Unless maybe your a samuria in a group where the mage actually does things like buff OTHER folks so they can do the fighting for him while he stays nice and safe. Tank and spank!
Yerameyahu
Sorry, Mongoose. I thought it was clear that I wasn't claiming RAW. RAW, cyberlimb armor certainly doesn't count to encumbrance. With a sane GM, it might. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 24 2010, 03:33 PM) *
You're right. That's not objectively annoying at all. It must just be me. sarcastic.gif

It's not. The prevailance of smileys in his posts have a bad habit of making me skim them instead of read them which results in me missing valid points he makes. I think it's something about the smileys making my eyes glaze over. I'm trying to get over it.

In other news, the Armor spell is categorically superior to Increase (Body) if for no other reason than it can be cast on a target multiple times, stacking each and every time, and none of them applying to encumberance.

However, someone has noted that Combat Sense is better due to the Resistance Test - not getting hit is better than soaking the damage. It should also be noted that Combat Sense stacks with itself also.

And finally, the most vastly superior choice of all is Physical Mask; because as everyone knows, not being seen in order to not be shot at in order to not be hit in the first place is the most bestest categorically superior-ist thing of all. It also stacks with itself and, in the very unlikely event that someone does see you, it also applies as a Dicepool Penalty to Ranged Attacks against you, further increasing your chances of not being hit in the first place (from Ranged attacks, at least).
Neurosis
In other news, the Armor spell is categorically superior to Increase (Body) if for no other reason than it can be cast on a target multiple times, stacking each and every time, and none of them applying to encumberance.

Wut. Where does it stay that it stacks with itself?
KarmaInferno
I don't think it does, specifically.

But Shadowrun does not have general rules about the stacking or non-stacking of bonus dice, so...

-k
Neurosis
Wait, a charactr can have more than one copy of the same spell stacked on himself?
Yerameyahu
Neraph thinks so. The RAW doesn't specifically say that Armor and Combat Sense don't do that; many GMs might, and it's -2 per spell to sustain them anyway.
Neurosis
-1 if you're on psyche, ignoring the penalty for anything you have a sustaining focus for, and then OH GOD if we get into quickening.

What stops a character with Karma to burn from Quickening Force 6 armor on himself five times for 30 points of Ballistic/Impact on top of worn at no penalty? I know that is throwing an extreme case at it but still....

I really don't want to believe that it is stackable.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 26 2010, 12:17 AM) *
-1 if you're on psyche, ignoring the penalty for anything you have a sustaining focus for, and then OH GOD if we get into quickening.

What stops a character with Karma to burn from Quickening Force 6 armor on himself five times for 30 points of Ballistic/Impact on top of worn at no penalty? I know that is throwing an extreme case at it but still....

I really don't want to believe that it is stackable.

The general risks that stop anyone from using Quickening? In other words, Mana Barriers that can permanently vaporise your Karma investment?
Yerameyahu
Neither do I, so it's not. At my table. Easy fix, eh? smile.gif

Neraph is simply pointing out that the RAW doesn't say it doesn't work. As far as I'm concerned, no spell stacks with itself: identical sources never do, unless there's an explicit exception.

Using lots of drugs and foci is expensive and risky. *shrug* If this gets abused in your game, just house rule it.
Neurosis
It is just interesting how much I thought I had been playing by RAW and how many ways I actually wasn't. I was subconsciously houseruling all of the stupid parts into non-stupidity myself, without even knowing it.
Mooncrow
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 25 2010, 05:36 PM) *
It is just interesting how much I thought I had been playing by RAW and how many ways I actually wasn't. I was subconsciously houseruling all of the stupid parts into non-stupidity myself, without even knowing it.

A very common (and good) phenomenon^^
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 04:35 PM) *

Neraph is simply pointing out that the RAW doesn't say it doesn't work. As far as I'm concerned, no spell stacks with itself: identical sources never do, unless there's an explicit exception.

Using lots of drugs and foci is expensive and risky. *shrug* If this gets abused in your game, just house rule it.

Excellent point: drugs are stackable also. The only downside is the overdose penalties you'd be taking, which in many cases make them no longer feasible.

"I'm going to take seven doses of Ripper to reach my augmented max for strength. And then promptly pass out from Fatigue after ten minutes to an hour."
Yerameyahu
There's no rule that drugs are stackable with themselves, you nutball. smile.gif Don't you dare say, 'there's no rule they're not'. biggrin.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 11:12 PM) *
There's no rule that drugs are stackable with themselves, you nutball. smile.gif Don't you dare say, 'there's no rule they're not'. biggrin.gif

I don't have to, you said it for me.

On the other hand, most drugs have a few built-in mechanics that make this a very, very poor decision.

1) Addiction. Both mental and physical. This would quickly lead to Burnout Addiction, meaning your character has about 4 months to live. On the other hand, you may choose this option while playing an Escaped Clone with Borrowed Time.

2) Overdose. Can = death quite quickly (P4MO, I'm looking at you).

EDIT: And actually, everything stacks unless explicitly stated that it does not in fact stack. They have to tell you Armor doesn't stack. They have to tell you that IP don't stack.
Ragewind
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Sep 25 2010, 01:41 PM) *
Wait, a charactr can have more than one copy of the same spell stacked on himself?

Yes, that is correct.

In Shadowrun you are playing a numbers game, the game is Addition and Subtraction. Unlike DND or Exalted which has specific rules that reference this phenomenon Shadowrun is simply 1+1=2. In Shadowrun if something does not stack it will tell you so in the item/spell description, otherwise it will follow basic addition and subtraction in all aspects.. Basically if something tells you you add +X to a total you will always add the + no matter the source, the same works vice versa with the negatives.

If I cast armor and get 5 hits for +5 armor, I can cast it again and get 5 more hits. The total armor will be 10/10, due to the way armor stacking rules work, incidently you also get no encumbrance due to it being magical armor. Anything that would increase your stats (such as drugs, overdose aside) will raise the numbers to the maximum augmented value so on and so forth. The item/spell will specifically tell you what it cannot do otherwise it follows the default rules for the game.

Ragewind
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 26 2010, 12:17 AM) *
I don't have to, you said it for me.

On the other hand, most drugs have a few built-in mechanics that make this a very, very poor decision.

1) Addiction. Both mental and physical. This would quickly lead to Burnout Addiction, meaning your character has about 4 months to live. On the other hand, you may choose this option while playing an Escaped Clone with Borrowed Time.

2) Overdose. Can = death quite quickly (P4MO, I'm looking at you).

EDIT: And actually, everything stacks unless explicitly stated that it does not in fact stack. They have to tell you Armor doesn't stack. They have to tell you that IP don't stack.

They actually DO tell you armor stacks, its in the armor rules.

IP is a strange but doable example, most items that grant IP can take you to the max quickly, but if you got something that adds +1, it will continue to raise the IP you have until it caps at 4. Im currently looking for rules specific to IP and will update this post if needed, if something would prevent it.
EDIT: You only take the highest

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2010, 05:35 PM) *

My suggestion is to stop combining DND with Shadowrun, the rule you are referencing doesn't exist in Shadowrun
Yerameyahu
It's not that drugs don't stack with each other. It's just that there's no clear reason why they stack with themselves. The book doesn't say that overdoses ever increase the effect, merely that they overcome Tolerance and increase your penalties to certain things. Toxins (as totally distinct from drugs, which is still a problem) have specific (optional) rules for overdosing.

I didn't reference a rule, Ragewind. I said my personal position. I specifically said it wasn't RAW. I repeatedly characterized my comments as table-specific and house-ruled. In fact, I explicitly advised that one should use the RAW version unless it is abused.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012