Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit Power: Confusion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Suriyel
I'm left somewhat baffled as to whether the Confusion power (for [nature]spirits) is single target or multiple target. The confusion text (pp 263 BBB) does not explicity state it affects multiple targets, but the text includes lots of plurals (charcters, victims). Also, the Man-of-Many-Names example (pp 184 BBB) has him ordering a hearth spirit to use its confusion power on a group of guards. I'm guessing it would be single target, but would like to know for sure.
L.D
It gets even better, becuase in MitS on page 107 about Great nature spirits you have:

Great nature spirits may use their powers simultaneously on a number of targets equal to the sprits Force.

I mailed Kenson about this earlier, but the answer I got is not on this computer. I'll look it up and post it though.

Edit: This is what Kenson said about it:

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can. It looks to me like we're dealing with some slight inconsistencies in SR3 and MITS, some possibly holdovers from previous editions. Here's what I'd recommend:

Accident: One target at a time, up to (Force) targets at once for great spirits.

Concealment: (Force) subjects at once, (Force x 5)subjects at once for great spirits.

Confusion: One target at a time, up to (Force) targets at once for great spirits.

Engulf: One target at a time, great spirits can engulf an area up to (Force) meters in radius.

Fear: One target at a time, up to (Force) targets at once for great spirits.

Guard: One target at a time, up to (Force) targets at once for great spirits.

Movement: One target at a time, up to (Force) targets at once for great
spirits.

In either case, I'd say that the maximum number of targets a spirit can affect at once is equal to its Force, it's just that great spirits can afford more targets with a single use of a power (and can therefore sustain more powers affecting more people at once).
Lilt
I think asked the same question on some boards a while back, the consensus was that they could only use it on a single target each Complex Action. IE: You can order a spirit to use confusion on multiple targets as a single service (up to the limit of # of powers sustained = force), but the spirit must spend a complex action to confuse each of them.
Apathy
but the spirit must spend a complex action to confuse each of them.

But the confuse power only affects opponents for a turn, right?

So if a manifested force 6 hearth spirit has init=6+1D6+10 => 19, then he can affect 3 enemies with confusion that turn (3 complex actions) even though his force would allow him to affect 6?
Rev
It is a sustained power.

The spirit starts confusing a target, and that target remains confused until the spirit turns off the power, or is destroyed. While the spirit is confusing a target it is busy and can't do much else (I would say it can defend itself in melee but cannot attack, for example).

So yea a spirit could confuse a different target on each of its actions, but it would only ever be confusing one of them at a time (unless it was a great form).
spotlite
P7, Critters, under action:

Certain powers are exclusive...

snip

Neither Confusion nor Concealment are exclusive, and both are sustained, so a being may have both up at the same time, concealing friends while confusing enemies. That means it could use confusion on multiple opponents, it would just have to do them one at a time.

Have a read further down the same page....

Sustained powers can be maintained by the critter for a length of time at no effort or cost. Because these powers are innate to such critters they do not suffer from any strain or target number modifiers for sustaining an effect, taking damage does not disrupt their ability to sustain an effect, and they need not maintain line of sight to the target (though targets who leave a nature spirit's domain are no longer affected by the spirits' powers).

<snip>

Critters may simultaneously sustain a number of powers equal to their Essence

So that should cover that... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012