Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smuggler rigger with cyberarm
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Knight Saber
I was thinking about a vehicle rigger/smuggler character today and looked over the template in the SR4A book as a starting point. It struck me that a lot of the cyberware she has could be installed in a cyberarm instead... and you could put in a bigger smuggling compartment. So the same stats as the Smuggler and similar skills, some numbers and specialties moved around with this cyberware:

Reaction Enhancer 1
Wired Reflexes 1 (Reaction from Wired Reflexes does work with driving now, right?)
Cybereyes 3 with Flare Comp, Low Light, Smartling and Thermograph
Datajack
Touchlink
Control Rig
Cyberarm (Obvious) with Commlink (2), Hot Sim Module (2), Large Smuggling Compartment (5) Agility Enhancement +4 (7 agility total) (4)

That leaves 2 capacity left... could put the Datajack in there too, or +2 to Strength or Body, or +1 armor as well. There are lots of better options, like customized limbs, but a rigger is going to need a lot of cash for vehicles, so that's a good upgrade later.

The basic concept is someone who enjoys customizing vehicles would also enjoy working on their body. Having sensitive hardware like a commlink in the arm would allow for repairs and upgrades that don't require surgery as well, just unplugging the arm and setting it on the workbench.

The Agility 7 would help in away-from-the-car gun combat (figuring Pistols 1 with automatics speciality and a smartgun, pool of 12), along with the second IP.

I don't think the cyberlimb stats would affect much else for the character, but I haven't done a character with one before... Could also just put nothing but practical gear in it (such as a second large smuggling compartment) and have it as the off-hand limb.

Comments? Things I've overlooked?
Makki
why would one chop of a perfectly healthy arm?

our Rigger had a Nanohive (extremely important for Riggers) and a Radar Sensor in his Cyberarm, and it was tricked out for shooting aswell. He claims to have lost his arm in an accident - seems he's not that good a driver after all...
Mäx
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Oct 22 2010, 09:30 AM) *
Agility Enhancement +4 (7 agility total) (4)

You can only have aEnchament 3 max without a cyber torso.
Knight Saber
QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 22 2010, 12:48 AM) *

Why would someone scoop out perfectly functional eyes? Lots of cyberpunky-reasons, starting with "because it's cool." And with the medical technology, you can always have a normal flesh arm put back on later. So it's not even as bad as some of the body mods we see today... what are all those people with the giant rings stretching out their earlobes going to do when they get tired of that look?

QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 22 2010, 12:48 AM) *
our Rigger had a Nanohive (extremely important for Riggers) and a Radar Sensor in his Cyberarm, and it was tricked out for shooting aswell. He claims to have lost his arm in an accident - seems he's not that good a driver after all...

A radar sensor is handy, but would it help with driving? The radar would show you the inside of the car, no?

QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 22 2010, 01:01 AM) *
You can only have aEnchament 3 max without a cyber torso.

Ah, you're right, that was the sort of mistake I was looking for. It'd take a customized cyberlimb to get above the human limit without a torso.

So, Agility +3 would be the limit on a conventional limb (and pool of 11 for shooting). Putting a +2 Body on would give +1 overall Body for damage tests... that could be useful, especially as I'm dropping the Bone Lacing the template had (Overall body 3 + cyberarm body 5/2 =4 body for damage tests, right). That would leave 1 capacity... could put the datajack in there, or +1 strength, so it is "strong."
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Oct 22 2010, 09:30 AM) *
Wired Reflexes 1 (Reaction from Wired Reflexes does work with driving now, right?)
Only if you are driving in the meat i.e. have your hands and feet on steering wheel and pedals. As soon as you either reemote control a vehicle or jump into it, REA is meaningless. WR may still be a good investment, though
Mäx
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Oct 22 2010, 10:37 AM) *
Overall body 3 + cyberarm body 5/2 =4 body for damage tests, right

Nope.
Its [Natural body 3 * 4(torso, 2 legs and the other hand) + 5] / 5 = 3,4 = 3 body aver all.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 22 2010, 12:39 PM) *
Nope.
Its [Natural body 3 * 4(torso, 2 legs and the other hand) + 5] / 5 = 3,4 = 3 body aver all.
That's even generous. I'd say the head counts as well. So it's [Natural BOD 3*5(Head, torso, two legs and the other arm)+5]/6=3 1/3 rounded down to 3.
Medicineman
I'd say the head counts as well.
Oficially Yes.
But it makes no Sense (at least not to me)
So I too go with 5 Limbs (Arms,legs & Torso)

He who Dances without a Head
Medicineman
Mäx
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 22 2010, 12:54 PM) *
That's even generous. I'd say the head counts as well. So it's [Natural BOD 3*5(Head, torso, two legs and the other arm)+5]/6=3 1/3 rounded down to 3.

I was gonna mention that, but considering that even with out the head the result was 3, i didn't bother as you always round down so the fractions are meningless, its less then 4 in anycase.
Dakka Dakka
In that particular case yes, I just wanted to tell how the general rule works IMHO.
PresentPresence
QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 22 2010, 03:48 AM) *
QUOTE (Bao-Dur)
I got tired of it - kept dropping my hydrospanner. Figured I'd get a new one.
Dakka Dakka
Who said the arm was healthy before?
"After the accident I just couldn't wait the four weeks to have one cloned and Type O arms off the rack are just not good enough."
You may guess that I find cyberlimbs generally silly given their cost, not only if the arm was healthy before.

Cybereyes are a different story. At least if you want to get upgrades, they are better than the other options (in eye cyberware or bioware). If it is just supposed to be a replacement, get a camera and trodes until you have new ones.

Cyberlimbs are IMHO sub par unless you really want all sorts of tools(gyro stabilizers, jump jacks etc.) and/or go full body replacement.
Eratosthenes
Interesting. I had a similiar concept: Character

The smuggling compartment's a good idea. biggrin.gif

And as Dakka said, why couldn't the arm be lost in an accident, due to disease, etc.? I could see a cyberlimb useful for someone who works on vehicles.

Strength Enhancement could be useful, esp. if you took Unarmed skill. A cyberlimb can pack quite a wallop. Armor modification is also useful. Or a nanohive (if you have Augmentation).
Summerstorm
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Oct 22 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Interesting. I had a similiar concept: Character

The smuggling compartment's a good idea. biggrin.gif

And as Dakka said, why couldn't the arm be lost in an accident, due to disease, etc.? I could see a cyberlimb useful for someone who works on vehicles.

Snake People Conspiracy - 5
lol....

also the knowledge skil: Paranormal Roadkill

I LOVE that character *g*

Sorry, have nothing constructive to say.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Oct 22 2010, 02:20 PM) *
Snake People Conspiracy - 5
lol....

also the knowledge skil: Paranormal Roadkill

I LOVE that character *g*

Sorry, have nothing constructive to say.

I'm more entertained by the synergy of Paranormal Roadkill and Southern Cooking.
Dakka Dakka
Strength Enhancement could be useful, esp. if you took Unarmed skill. A cyberlimb can pack quite a wallop.
Unless you want to have it for something else forget STR upgrades, take the shock hand instead.
Armor modification is also useful.
That really shines if you get more than one limb.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 22 2010, 08:44 AM) *
Unless you want to have it for something else forget STR upgrades, take the shock hand instead.

Throwing weapons? At least thats what I've been working on for a couple of days on a character very similarly themed to this. It was kinda based a threat I made that I'd make a gnome with an 11 strength cyberarm and throw shuriken at people. It evolved into a human in the flesh rigger with two cyberlimbs (arm for str/agi and gadgets, leg for body, armor, and smuggling comp) and MBW2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012