Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting the most out of AR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tanegar
I'm contemplating a combat hacker, focusing on hacking on the fly in AR while still having enough combat capability to be a lethal threat to the opposition. Obviously, my AR IPs are the same as my meat IPs; is there a way that I can make up for the other advantages of VR?
Nifft
Not being a helpless target is a pretty good perk, IMHO.

The fact that you can move around and shoot while hacking every other IP is huge, since that generally protects you from the "GEEK THE MAGE" behavior targeting protocol that's fed into every modern drone and CorpSec training manual.

Being an Adept is pretty sweet for this guy. You could nab 4 IPs right off the bat (even losing one point of Essence), or pump your technical skills with some VERY cheap skill enhancements. With the stuff in Street Magic, you can get more free actions (more useful for a mixed-mode Hacker than most characters).
sabs
Might I recommend being a magic 3 maybe 4 Adept?

Improved Reflexes 2 (2.5 PP)
Improved Ability - Hacking 2 (.5PP)
Improved Ability - Cybercombat 2(.5pp)

You have another .5 for something fun. You might even have more if you're using the ERRATA PP costs for Improved Reflexes.

Cracking group of 4
Be sure to pick up Trodes so you have a DNI.

(honestly, this is what I thought Technomancers should be.. technoadepts) and not what they ended up being.

KarmaInferno
You might even have more if you're using the ERRATA PP costs for Improved Reflexes.

Wait, errata?

SR4A has an errata?

-k
Udoshi
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 22 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I think you might be slightly more effective using restricted gear and a synaptic booster for your IPs, with pirated software to make up for the cost.

Its expensive, but you're getting 4 passes for 2 essence, instead of using 4 essence's worth of magic to get 4 passes.

Multitasking and Enhanced Perception(0.25/lev) are also great for hacker-adepts, because they affect matrix perception tests. If you're already splitting your attention between AR-hacking and meatspace activities, you almost certainly don't want to waste simple actions on anything, and multitasking makes perception a free action.

Of potential note is Manual control interface, in Unwired on page 58 - physically using a commlink's controls is a simple action. Therefore, it ought to be possible for you to fire a SA gun at someone(simple), manually scan for hidden nodes(simple with manual), and a free to do something else. Behold, the combat texter. Like a medic, only with SMS.

Edit: Forgot to mention Nimble Fingers.
Dhuul
This thread is interesting to me, as i am planning to play a hacker/tm as soon as i get the chance (im gm'ing right now, so that might take a while)
But i have not yet thought about *just* playing an adept, specialized in hacking.

I have one question though, Udoshi:
Enhanced Perception (the adept power you mentioned) does grant extra dice for perception test, but it also gives a page reference for perception test, which states stat perception test are those that require the player (or gm in most cases) to roll for intuition+perception. Matrix perception is handled by rolling computers+analyze (don't know if i've got the translation right, i only have the german source-book in from of me right now). So i presume that the Enhanced Perception adept power only affects all rolls involving the perception skill, not matrix perception, as this is rolled with a totally different set of skill+attribute. As i only have the core book as reference, i might easily be mistaken, but please point me to the book where this is stated if so.

back to topic (or rather "less off-topic"), i always found starting-level technomancers to be quite weak compared to mundane hackers with the same bp, so building an adept suited for the matrix sounds quite intriguing. It is a totally new idea to me as i mostly played SR3 where Magic and Matrix didn't mix that well. This is true even more, if adepts may use their perception pool modifiers for matrix-related perception tests. Still, even without that, adepts seem to fit into a team that already has a rigger/decker (confined to his/her vehicle/home) pretty well because they can also participate in "normal" combat more easily then normal hackers/riggers.

Please apologize my (probably) bad grammar and spelling as it is 4:20 a.m. in Germany and i am not at my best, yet could not wait to post this until the morning. wink.gif
Brainpiercing7.62mm
The adept hacker is an established concept by now, right? I'm thinking about making one, too.

I am also not decided about the perfect efficiency of either getting IPs via Powers, or via Bioware. I would want some meat-combat enhancing bioware and cyberware, too, so is it really worthwhile spending a full two essence and a crapload of cash on Synaptic Boosters? Especially with the harsh limit on available cash I'm tending to take the Geas-learned Adept power over the Synaptic boosters, which leaves me room to fill one point of essence with some other stuff and get 1-2 points worth of powers next to the Reflexes.

Has anyone calculated this?
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 22 2010, 09:31 PM) *

Improved Reflexes 2 (2.5 PP)

You have another .5 for something fun. You might even have more if you're using the ERRATA PP costs for Improved Reflexes.

Wait, what? Which errata is this? My core says cost of 3 for level 2, and I can't find Improved Reflexes in the Errata at all.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mayhem_2006 @ Oct 23 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Wait, what? Which errata is this? My core says cost of 3 for level 2, and I can't find Improved Reflexes in the Errata at all.

Page 196, SR4A... in the Base Book itself... smokin.gif
KarmaInferno
My SR4A still has Improved Reflexes 2 costing 2.5 Power points.

Which is why I was confused, as the post in question was implying the cost might be even lower in some errata.

-k
Nifft
The nice thing about the adept power is that it only costs a little karma to get you up to 4 IPs. If you go with Synaptic Boosters, you can have 3 IPs right out of the gate for only 1 Essence, but you won't be able to squeeze 4 IPs into that 1 Essence until you can afford deltaware (millions of ¥).

The other thing is that a combat hacker can benefit from some other 'ware, and buying SB 2 costs your entire Essence budget. Reception Enhancers, for example, or a cyberfoot with a nanohive. If you're going to split your focus between hacking and shooting -- which is a fine split IMHO -- you may want to think about Muscle Toners.

Do you want cybereyes with an integrated Smartlink? Do you want an in-head datajack so your PAN can't be jammed? Do you want to leave room for deltaware encephalon II? (Probably not, but it's less than a million ¥.)

I'm a fan of Bone Density Augmentation 2 -- for only 0.6 Essence, you get +2 resist damage, +1 unarmed damage, and your unarmed damage is physical -- as a subtle yet practical augmentation.
Yerameyahu
For the datajack, you don't need it. You can still skinlink everything, including trodes.
sabs
You really don't need cybereyes with integrated smartlink.
put smart link on both your glasses and your contacts.
and if your GM hoses you one day with an ambush while you're in bed.. suffer the loss of 2 dice for long enough to get your glasses from the bedside table.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Dhuul @ Oct 22 2010, 08:22 PM) *
This thread is interesting to me, as i am planning to play a hacker/tm as soon as i get the chance (im gm'ing right now, so that might take a while)
But i have not yet thought about *just* playing an adept, specialized in hacking.

I have one question though, Udoshi:
Enhanced Perception (the adept power you mentioned) does grant extra dice for perception test, but it also gives a page reference for perception test, which states stat perception test are those that require the player (or gm in most cases) to roll for intuition+perception. Matrix perception is handled by rolling computers+analyze (don't know if i've got the translation right, i only have the german source-book in from of me right now). So i presume that the Enhanced Perception adept power only affects all rolls involving the perception skill, not matrix perception, as this is rolled with a totally different set of skill+attribute. As i only have the core book as reference, i might easily be mistaken, but please point me to the book where this is stated if so.

The answer to that is somewhat buried in the rules regarding perception tests. Perception tests aren't with the skill itself, but rather a broad category of tests(much like Matrix tests or Vehicle tests), all governed by the Observe in Detail action, which is used both on the matrix and in real life. Also, there are numberous other qualities and ware that add to Perception tests, but call out non-physical types of perception as being included in the bonus. For example, the Perceptive quality adds to perception tests, and benefits astral and matrix perception equally. I've gone over them here, and in the following posts. You are also going to want to look at the relevant sections for Matrix perception and Astral perception before going ahead and saying 'you're not rolling Perception(the skill), therefore it isn't a Perception Test). Also, that thread has some good information for AR-hackers in general, so its worth a read.

On the Improved Reflexes Power Cost issue:
All the people using the old expensive costs need to get Anniversary edition. There's been no change within anniversary edition(to my knowledge), but it HAS been changed between 4th Edition and Anniversary edition. Yes, they're different.
Course, i wouldn't be surprised if catalyst did something retarded like include unpublished errata files in the limited edition. Under the latest edition of the rules I have, Improved Reflexes is 1.5/2.5/4 power points for each level
Mäx
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 23 2010, 02:15 AM) *
I think you might be slightly more effective using restricted gear and a synaptic booster for your IPs, with pirated software to make up for the cost.

Its expensive, but you're getting 4 passes for 2 essence, instead of using 4 essence's worth of magic to get 4 passes.

That's highly debatable, with Improved Reflexes 3 you still have room for 2 essence worth of ware.
You can get some really nice stuff into that, especially as that ware getup doesn't have to include very expensive(in essence or nuyen) IP booster.
klinktastic
Cram or Jazz is another way to add a IP if absolutely needed. Just an option.
Nifft
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Oct 24 2010, 03:48 PM) *
Cram or Jazz is another way to add a IP if absolutely needed. Just an option.

Agree. That's exactly why, for me, the 'ware (and magic) options start at rating 2.

No way is one of my characters going to blow essence on one extra IP, when that's the kind of bonus I can get from drugs which are effectively free.

Getting TWO extra IPs... now we're talking.
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 23 2010, 07:50 PM) *
Page 196, SR4A... in the Base Book itself... smokin.gif

Yay, thanks. My adept now has an extra level of Kinesics and an extra level of boosted strength (due to another cost reduction made in SR4A)
Udoshi
QUOTE (Mäx @ Oct 24 2010, 12:12 PM) *
That's highly debatable, with Improved Reflexes 3 you still have room for 2 essence worth of ware.
You can get some really nice stuff into that, especially as that ware getup doesn't have to include very expensive(in essence or nuyen) IP booster.

Yeah, it is debatable.

However, magic 6( 4 for IPs, 2 random points for hackey-related things) costs you, in total, 40(mag5)+25(mag6)+5(adept) so 70 points.
A r3 synaptic booster adept costs you 5(restricted gear)+ 48(240k nuyen)+5(adept)+30(mag3)=87 points.

So, while it is more expensive by 17 points (42 if you hardmax magic), you still get +3 reaction, +3 passes, half a point of essence to play around with(which can be a full point of cyber, due to halving lesser), and have 1-2 more points to spend on adept powers.

There are other minor advantages, like not losing your passes in background count or when a mage decides to pop a mana static.
A far cheaper(bp-wise) solution is to just suck the 5 points up and go mystic adept with improved reflexes(the spell). Its a viable alternative, but has some downsides: It adds to Initiative, not Reaction, and can be counterspelled, and needs to be recast every time you pass through a ward/mana barrier.

A method I'm more fond of is saving half a power point during character creation, because adepts can do that, and just using improved reflexes 2. Next time I get a power point(whether through raising magic, or convincing a GM that the optional rule for adepts to trade an initiation metamagic for a powerpoint), you suddenly have enough to jump straight to improved reflexes 3. I mean, your first initiation's only 13 karma.
Mäx
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 25 2010, 01:22 AM) *
A method I'm more fond of is saving half a power point during character creation, because adepts can do that, and just using improved reflexes 2. Next time I get a power point(whether through raising magic, or convincing a GM that the optional rule for adepts to trade an initiation metamagic for a powerpoint), you suddenly have enough to jump straight to improved reflexes 3. I mean, your first initiation's only 13 karma.

Thats what i do for most of my Adept builds too, there's not much need for having 4IP:s straight out the gate.
Of course if your GM allows it, in karmagen you can spent that 13karma to initiate during chargen, which allows you to get 4IP.s as well as some other adept powers and still burn a couple of points of essence for ware.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 25 2010, 12:22 AM) *
Yeah, it is debatable.

However, magic 6( 4 for IPs, 2 random points for hackey-related things) costs you, in total, 40(mag5)+25(mag6)+5(adept) so 70 points.
A r3 synaptic booster adept costs you 5(restricted gear)+ 48(240k nuyen)+5(adept)+30(mag3)=87 points.

So, while it is more expensive by 17 points (42 if you hardmax magic), you still get +3 reaction, +3 passes, half a point of essence to play around with(which can be a full point of cyber, due to halving lesser), and have 1-2 more points to spend on adept powers.

But isn't the money angle REALLY restricting you, here? I mean, without taking In Dept or even a positive quality, you've just blown almost all your cash on the Synaptic boosters.
Nifft
QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Oct 25 2010, 07:54 AM) *
But isn't the money angle REALLY restricting you, here? I mean, without taking In Dept or even a positive quality, you've just blown almost all your cash on the Synaptic boosters.

I don't think there's any easy way to get +3 IPs at chargen, and I think this is a good thing.

You're either investing a ton of ¥ or you're investing 4 PP worth of Magic.

(... or you bind a Force 4 Spirit of Man, but let's not talk about that right now ...)
LurkerOutThere
The laternative for combat hacker is going the ware route, encephelon and move by wire gives you more power when you can afford to go full VR and more versatility in the meat world. Additionally it means you don't find most of your stuff shutting off when you hit background count. If you get an internall link your stuff can never be taken away. Remove a adept hackers link or even his trodes and he/she cries like a little girl.

sabs
put a headjammer on the hacker with an internal link and he's crying too.
Tanegar
This may be a completely insane idea, but I'm gonna throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. What do you think of summoning a Task spirit and having it do the hacking? A spirit hacker would fit in very nicely with the urban shaman concept that's been kicking around in my head for three-quarters of forever.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Oct 25 2010, 05:54 AM) *

Pretty much. You basically HAVE to use pirated software(unwired) to squeeze a lifestyle and your programs in there.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 25 2010, 07:05 PM) *
This may be a completely insane idea, but I'm gonna throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks. What do you think of summoning a Task spirit and having it do the hacking? A spirit hacker would fit in very nicely with the urban shaman concept that's been kicking around in my head for three-quarters of forever.

And how do you propose this spirit hacks, with their inability to see electronic projections? (or is that a free spirit only thing?)
Bad Idea.
2 passes manifested. Possession spirits don't get access to their hosts cyberware, either, and can't use DNI devices.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 25 2010, 09:44 PM) *
And how do you propose this spirit hacks, with their inability to see electronic projections? (or is that a free spirit only thing?)
Bad Idea.
2 passes manifested. Possession spirits don't get access to their hosts cyberware, either, and can't use DNI devices.

Where is that? Why on earth wouldn't a spirit be able to see a screen?
Yerameyahu
In the book. smile.gif Because their vision is Astral-ish.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 25 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Where is that? Why on earth wouldn't a spirit be able to see a screen?

What Yerameyahu said. Spirits don't have normal human senses, and they can't make use of DNI at all.

More specificlly, RC 92.

Also, street magic 92. There may be other clauses elsewhere about spirit senses

No luck for possession spirits either, per the Living Vessels sidebar on SM 102
Possessing spirits cannot perceive or oper-ate AR or direct neural or cybernetic interfaces, and do not beneft from implants, cyberware, or nanoware that would require active control (i.e.: a spirit can beneft from a vessel’s bone lacing or eye replacement, but cannot activate vision enhancements or a datajack).

The sole exceptions are Inhabitation spirits with Flesh Forms - presumably True Forms as well. Inhabitation sidebar, SM 100.

Thats off the top of my head. There's probably a more detailed description of spirit senses somewhere.

THAT being said: I find it pretty stupid personally that a free spirit can't whip out their commlink and check the time. Being unable to use DNI is reasonable. Being completely barred from AR i can kiiinda justify. But being completely barred from comprehending any electronic projection, ever? Thats just retarded. More importantly, its the developers having an arguement, and basicallly going 'LOL NO SPIRITS ON INTERNETS'. Which i think is just retarded. Becaues that pretty much means they cant ever check their bank balance, or whether they got paid for the latest shadowrun. Come on. That's just stupid.
TheScrivener
Just to clarify: a posession spirit would still be able to read off a screen, though, right? Just not an AR display? And the Task spirit idea would be pretty interesting if you designed a special (custom, expensive) commlink with a Braille or otherwise textured readout readable by their sense of touch.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, I've been contemplating something like this. My mystic adept rigger has a custom Tradition I named "Ex Machina" that revolves around the fusing of magic and machine, though I haven't had her Task spirits do anything that wasn't "physical" yet.

That said, there's not many "by the book" rules that cover this.

-k
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 26 2010, 03:42 AM) *
Pretty much. You basically HAVE to use pirated software(unwired) to squeeze a lifestyle and your programs in there.

And pretty much NO other gear, and possibly even a crappy commlink. Hmmm.

I still think that Power Later doesn't work too well here. For an AR hacker to be effective out of the box you still want a few passes now, and there isn't any cheaper way than Geas learned adept powers. They may have drawbacks, sure enough, but for that occasion you just have to get a simsense booster in your commlink and get into VR, after all. It's not like you absolutely can't do it.
TheScrivener
This is key. Specializing in AR is all about mitigating drawbacks, not adding a lot of bonuses that you lose going into VR, really. Some of your adept abilities may not apply to simsense but that doesn't mean you're going to, say, probe a system from AR (1 day vs 1 hour interval, ouch!)
sabs
The character doesn't probe, he hacks on the fly (interval in combat turns) and beats up the opposition.
He's in no way subtle. It's like being a burglar who goes in through the front door and just knocks doors down and shoots people until he finds what he wants.
TheScrivener
You do realize that those kinds of burglars generally get *caught* right? Or shot when someone's expecting them? Flat saying you'll never probe a target is like refusing to take one point in social skills because you're a combat character and "that isn't your style." It severely hampers your options. Even the 9 foot cybered-up troll demolitions specialist in my group has 1 point in Infiltration because sometimes subtlety *works.*
LurkerOutThere
Going in expecting to beat the opposition in cybercombat is not a viable solution against corporate interests. Unless the system is completely off grid they can route Spiders onto it from anywhere in the world until they wear you down. Your saving grace is your less vulnerable to cybercombat damage but while your rebooting your link your not on the system doing what your team needs done.
sabs
Does 1 point of infiltration on a char like that really count as subtlety smile.gif

And yes, that kind of Hacker needs to bring Agent back up with him, several comlinks or a nexus running Agents.
He's the one who said he wanted to specialize on hack on the fly..
Besides, there's no reason a phys adept hacker can't go VR and do perfectly fine. He can get up to 4 IP's in vr if need be.
And so he probes in VR, and once he's in he switches to AR..not really that big a deal.

KarmaInferno
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 26 2010, 12:38 PM) *
Does 1 point of infiltration on a char like that really count as subtlety smile.gif

Depends on his dice pool bonuses.

biggrin.gif

-k
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 26 2010, 07:38 PM) *

And yes, that kind of Hacker needs to bring Agent back up with him, several comlinks or a nexus running Agents.
He's the one who said he wanted to specialize on hack on the fly..
Besides, there's no reason a phys adept hacker can't go VR and do perfectly fine. He can get up to 4 IP's in vr if need be.
And so he probes in VR, and once he's in he switches to AR..not really that big a deal.

Yes, I would say IF a GM were not understanding enough to realize that there is no bloody difference between four passes in AR and four passes in VR, and the dice are the same, then you could really probe in VR, and then go back to the meat to go in. They created that rule to keep VR cool enough, but IMHO it's just not warranted, and perfectly house-rule-able.
Yerameyahu
Don't take away one of the 3 remaining reasons for VR to even exist. nyahnyah.gif
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 26 2010, 11:55 PM) *
Don't take away one of the 3 remaining reasons for VR to even exist. nyahnyah.gif

rotate.gif
sabs
VR is for Riggers and for Playing Deeper Dungeons 47

TheScrivener
Really? VR is absolutely immersive, filling your entire sensorium with data translated into metaphors you can instantly respond to, charging through your consciousness faster than you would have thought possible. AR is great, and helps fill a lot of the gaps, but as long as I run SR there will be pu-hu-lenty of time spent in sculpted systems throwing your whole virtual body behind an attack against Black IC. There's a reason why they call it BTL.
sabs
QUOTE (TheScrivener @ Oct 26 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Really? VR is absolutely immersive, filling your entire sensorium with data translated into metaphors you can instantly respond to, charging through your consciousness faster than you would have thought possible. AR is great, and helps fill a lot of the gaps, but as long as I run SR there will be pu-hu-lenty of time spent in sculpted systems throwing your whole virtual body behind an attack against Black IC. There's a reason why they call it BTL.

Yes from a fluf point of view you are completely absolutely right.

But from a crunch point of view, VR (except for that +2 bonus) has very few upsides compared to the taking physical damage.
TheScrivener
Initiative bonus, extra IPs, AND +2 to every single roll. Sure you can get bonuses from other sources and increase initiative in meat to compensate, but it's always going to be a LOT cheaper to get a hot-sim module than to get improved reflexes or wires. Simple economics; more to spend on actual comms/programs/skills means greater effectiveness.

And don't dismiss fluff, fluff is the only reason I've assembled the gaming group I have today.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Oct 26 2010, 12:11 AM) *
THAT being said: I find it pretty stupid personally that a free spirit can't whip out their commlink and check the time. Being unable to use DNI is reasonable. Being completely barred from AR i can kiiinda justify. But being completely barred from comprehending any electronic projection, ever? Thats just retarded. More importantly, its the developers having an arguement, and basicallly going 'LOL NO SPIRITS ON INTERNETS'. Which i think is just retarded. Becaues that pretty much means they cant ever check their bank balance, or whether they got paid for the latest shadowrun. Come on. That's just stupid.

Assuming that spirits get paid in Nuyen is equally stupid in my opinion... Spirits trade in Karma, not Nuyen... wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
So spirits rely on servants. Done.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 26 2010, 08:00 PM) *
So spirits rely on servants. Done.

Most likely, if they have any influence at all... wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
smile.gif My point is that it doesn't render the game unplayable (for a weird ultra-niche beta race) or inexplicable, it only makes it different (from some people's personal vision). Neither way is better, because it's an arbitrary part of the setting, like so many parts of the setting. If it ruins the game for you, house-rule that the setting is different; people do this all the time for many reasons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012