Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two weapon fighting confusion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shrike30
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 25 2010, 09:56 PM) *
You have misread the rules to your disadvantage. You just split the pool. There is no rounding. You don't even have to split the pool evenly. You could by RAW even go with a 1; (X-1) split with X=your pool. The first could as well be an 6/5 split with +2 to both for the specialization, so 8/7.

Hey, sweet. Extra dice! The thought of tossing extra bullets at someone with 1 in the die pool is kind of amusing (well, 3 after specialization) but you gotta at least look like you're trying, in my head. nyahnyah.gif Still, if nothing else it's a good way to burn up someone's reaction pool by doubling the number of attacks he has to avoid, and you could do THAT without losing many dice at all from your "real" attack.
Neurosis
Sorry Shrike, but Smartlink & Laser Sight don't apply to dual wielding.
Yerameyahu
He already counted that out, Neurosis. wink.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 25 2010, 08:45 PM) *
Oops, I meant there are a couple ways to get non-*Pistol* quickdraws (because I forget the Hatamoto is technically a pistol, despite its appearance). smile.gif And yes, it's still silly. nyahnyah.gif

Yes. Both the martial art maneuver and the adept power allow this.
TheScrivener
What's so silly about Iajutsu? Absolutely vital for the traditionalist Street Sam looking for that monofilament Diagonal Cut.
Udoshi
QUOTE (TheScrivener @ Oct 26 2010, 01:05 AM) *
What's so silly about Iajutsu? Absolutely vital for the traditionalist Street Sam looking for that monofilament Diagonal Cut.

Nothing's silly about it. Its quite good.
It happens to let you quick draw anything with a reach of 1 or less, and lets you complex action draw some things for stabbing.
The main benefit is, guns never have reach.

Adept centering does the same thing, except better, because it lowers the threshold to 2. That doesn't necessarily mean its worth half a power point, though.
Yerameyahu
It's good, sure, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous. If it only worked on swords, that would be one thing. Using it on large guns, possibly rocket launchers, is just preposterous. If anything, munchkin-potential only makes it more silly, not less. biggrin.gif
TheScrivener
yeah, I suppose that's true - I tend to restrict martial arts a bit more than RAW in my games so I forget about this stuff. The way I see it, your Martial Arts maneuvers only count towards weapons you specifically use as part of that martial art, so if it's not realistic for you to be practicing that constantly offscreen (like gun users going to the range) you don't have skill in quickdrawing that weapon.
StealthSigma
My opinion towards dual wielding has remaining fairly consistent no matter the PnP RPG I'm playing, mostly because the grounds of my opinion tends to hold true. Note that these are generalizations and that there are exceptions.

1. The strength of dual wielding is inversely proportional to the strength of your target's defense. Dual wielding applies defense twice and with lower damage than "two-handed" weapons so you have a larger portion of your damage negated through defenses.
2. Dual wielding becomes more potent when you can negate significant portions of your target's defense (APDS, Ambushes).
3. Two weapons that are dual wield capable will cause more damage than one weapon that is not dual wield capable. With respect to generalization #1.
Shrike30
4. Jumping onto a restaurant table and pouring a bunch of 9mm into the diner's chest and head is going to ruin his day, regardless of if it all came out of a couple of handguns or a single SMG. smile.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:09 PM) *
Hey, sweet. Extra dice! The thought of tossing extra bullets at someone with 1 in the die pool is kind of amusing (well, 3 after specialization) but you gotta at least look like you're trying, in my head. nyahnyah.gif Still, if nothing else it's a good way to burn up someone's reaction pool by doubling the number of attacks he has to avoid, and you could do THAT without losing many dice at all from your "real" attack.

You want to keep glitches and critical glitches in mind, though, when you are rolling extremely small dice pools.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 29 2010, 03:20 PM) *
You want to keep glitches and critical glitches in mind, though, when you are rolling extremely small dice pools.

That's as good a reason as any to split the die pool fairly evenly, in my mind. Nothing quite like an EX round blowing apart your piece to ruin your John Woo moment.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Oct 30 2010, 09:28 PM) *
That's as good a reason as any to split the die pool fairly evenly, in my mind. Nothing quite like an EX round blowing apart your piece to ruin your John Woo moment.
IIRC only with 1-3 dice the glitching probabbility is really bad. Even if you only take one die from the split pool, you can easily get the final pool to 3, 6 for adepts. At least for adepts the glitching is not that dangerous. Forgot the errata. Improved Ability no longer is a Dice Pool Modifier. It does not work that well. with the rules change.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 29 2010, 07:20 PM) *

See my earlier story about critical glitching with two dice as a pixie while firing a Predator. And the afterward resulting hole in the drywall, behind where she had been standing.

-k
Yerameyahu
Funny how an error in aiming skill changes physics. smile.gif Damn pixies.
Critias
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 31 2010, 03:45 PM) *
Funny how an error in aiming skill changes physics. smile.gif Damn pixies.

Being off-balance when you shoot, improperly holding the gun, not being ready for the recoil, etc, etc, are all things that can cause a fully grown man to drop a gun, get knocked over, take a step or two back, or physically hurt himself, IRL. I don't have any problem with something a little more dramatic happening for a tiny little pixie shooting a full-powered gun and glitching it (though being knocked through a wall is a bit too slapstick for my taste, I'll admit). Not so much an error in aiming as an error in stance, balance, and general readiness.
Yerameyahu
I know, but damn pixies. smile.gif I'm sure it was appropriate to the game.
KarmaInferno
I think my GM may have been envisioning this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DujAsjNsPLY

-k
Shrike30
Muahahaha!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012