Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting VTOL Ampib plane
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
TheWanderingJewels
while crawling the web I came across this entry for the VVA-14 Transport Ekranoplan. After reading over the concept I realized that this might be a vehicle that could be produced in SR with a few minor tweaks. But how to stat it out.

http://www.testpilot.ru/russia/bartini/vva/vva_e.htm
Jizmack
Leave it to the Russians!
Perhaps, it could be used in Shadowrun, but most likely with very limited application…
Smuggling through the Wisconsin lake network, maybe?
TheWanderingJewels
or even a legitmate transport version across the lakes could be interesting
Teryn180
I can't decide if that's awesome, weird, or both...It really isn't surprising that the Russians made it though.
Aku
dont we call that a thunderbird?
Neraph
Isn't that just a Tundra-9 or whatever from Arsenal? Now, if we had one that could go underwater (I just skimmed it so if it could, that would be cool)...
Zyerne
Well, in SR terms, it's a Tundra 9 AND a Thunderbird, although slow for a LAV.

First Ekranoplan I've seen that actually has full flight capabilities.
PresentPresence
The problem with most aircraft is that they are impossible to get at chargen. Unless...you take Born Rich and Black Market Pipeline (Vehicles). Then, for 25 BP in qualities and 60 BP in resources, you can get:

Renault-Fiat Fokker Tundra-9 (Amphibious Jet)
Some nations have tried to control smuggling by limiting the number of airfields that can take traffic. However, there are always hidden corporate facilities and out-of-the-way military bases that need to be supplied, and VTOL aircrat lack the fuel efficiency to carry heavy supplies to these locations. But facilities also always need fresh water, and with a body of water nearby, the amphibious Renault-Fiat Fokker Tundra 9 can land. The occasional Awakened-game hunter also needs to get to the remotest parts of the world to hunt their most dangerous game and take their trophies and
any survivors out.
Similar Models: Airbus JPFB-03, Toyota TX13
Std. Upgrades: Flotation

Handling: -1
Acceleration: 30/120
Speed: 500
Pilot: 2
Body: 18
Armor: 8
Sensor: 2
Availability: 12 (+ 4 Used)
Price: 350,000 (-10% (Black Market Pipeline) -20% (Used - Gremlins 1) = 234,000)

If you want to submerge, it should be noted that Arsenal designates the necessary modifications as "Watercraft Only" but your GM may allow an aircraft with flotation to use it as well:
Ballast Tanks 1 Modification - 36,000 (32,400 if GM considers vehicle mods covered under quality)
Life Support 2 Modification - 36,000 (32,400 if GM considers vehicle mods covered under quality)

Total: 298,800

Or try to earn it out of chargen.
Zyerne
I'm assuming your intended SR version wouldn't be outfitted for the ASW role the VVA-14 was intended for?

Meanwhile, for more Russian goodness, check out the Lun-class Ekranoplan
Neraph
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Nov 9 2010, 08:04 PM) *
remotest

Win.
PresentPresence
QUOTE (Arsenal pg. 113)
remotest

Better? rollin.gif
Neraph
Wow.

"Remotest" and "remoter" are actually the correct words. They just look and sound so supidly awful.
PresentPresence
I think "ointment" sound supidly awful, myself. That's why it's my favorite word. And why you are saying it out loud right now. spin.gif
TheWanderingJewels
thanks for the feed back smile.gif
Yerameyahu
I'm positive we had a thread about this in the last 3 months. smile.gif Basically, there's a reason they don't use these in real life. wink.gif (But it's fun to do weird things in SR.) Incidentally, there's nothing 'VTOL' about it.
hobgoblin
More like VSTOL.
Zyerne
The VTOL engines were never fitted. What it doesn't say is whether they were intended for use in water takeoffs, which would have been.. interesting.
Doc Byte
If you cut off the wings, I'd think this plane's in fact some tramp freighter from Corellian Engineering Corporation.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 11 2010, 01:35 AM) *
Basically, there's a reason they don't use these in real life. wink.gif (But it's fun to do weird things in SR.)
Check THIS out.

EDIT: If it weren't for the fuel consumption, things like this would be great in the Canadian far north.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Teryn180 @ Nov 9 2010, 06:21 PM) *
I can't decide if that's awesome, weird, or both...It really isn't surprising that the Russians made it though.

Hey, at least it isn't a 1000 tonne tank.
TheWanderingJewels
oy.....what a revolting idea
Tiralee
Be great for smuggling, especially the Carrib, mon.

Those things are fast, you can pack a ton of gear in them and you'd lose them in the sea clutter.
Apart from the IR emissions, the appearance (hard to disguise one of those as a trawler) and need for a safe harbour for storage of the beast, ideal for fast island-hopping in an era of rampant piracy with ship-to-ship missiles.

Tir.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 11 2010, 09:32 PM) *
Hey, at least it isn't a 1000 tonne tank.

Now I see where ForgeWorld came up with the Baneblade. Strengthens my belief that bigger ain't always better.
TheWanderingJewels
more Wing in Ground Effect Vehicles
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2007/05/ek...s-showcase.html
TheWanderingJewels
and it looks like the concept got a severe makeover....damn that looks cool

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ekranoya...2025-29985.html
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Nov 25 2010, 10:49 PM) *
Now I see where ForgeWorld came up with the Baneblade. Strengthens my belief that bigger ain't always better.

If you see the link at the bottom of the entry, you'll see the one for the 1,500 ton older brother.
Still it's interesting how large of a vehicle can be actually made. This 13,500 ton bucket excavator... Oh yeah, definitely something the Orks should modify into their equivalent of Titan, it has a somewhat appropriate melee weapon...
Draco18s
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Feb 16 2011, 03:56 PM) *
If you see the link at the bottom of the entry, you'll see the one for the 1,500 ton older brother.

Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte, at least, was partially built. The 1500 Monster was merely a design that was never used because it was impossible to move (as in, it would have been an immobile "mobile artillery" piece).
Stahlseele
German engineering would have made it possible *nods*
i'm still wondering why our Dora and Gustav Cannons were not mounted on Ships for example.
also, why has nobody combined hovercrafts with aircraft as of yet?
get an air cushion underneath to minimize drag and thus needed speed for take-off?
make the plane less reliant on air strips?
SpellBinder
Maybe the force of the recoil had the risk of capsizing the ship?

As for the hovercraft/aircraft, probably stability of control when you're taking off. A slight cross breeze and you could be sliding sideways off the runway.
Stahlseele
bah, damn physics coming to spoil my fun again . . and some german or soviet ingeneur would probably still get it half way decent working ^^
SpellBinder
Don't let the physics get in your way, get in the way of the physics. smokin.gif

What if you were able to make a super mondo gas vent for the cannon?
Stahlseele
use the recoil as propulsion for the ship!
allways point the small of your back at the enemy, scoot away as fast as you can, keep getting shoves of speed every time you fire your main armament at the enemy ^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012