Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Invisibility and the astral plane
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
yesferatu
So I was going to have an invisible mage stalk my group one of these days and it got me thinking...
Does invisibility only work on the physical plane?
I know improved works on devices and normal only works on sight.
Doesn't any kind of spell leave a trail in the astral plane?

Can any astral-friendly awakened character basically negate invisibility just by sticking their head into the astral plane?
Draco18s
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Nov 12 2010, 03:35 PM) *
Can any astral-friendly awakened character basically negate invisibility just by sticking their head into the astral plane?

Yes.
Which is why you always use Concealment. Negative dice pool mods on EVERY AND ALL PERCEPTION CHECKS wins every time.
yesferatu
Isn't concealment a critter-only power?
Yerameyahu
You use a 'critter': spirits. Also, pixies can Conceal themselves, but screw pixies.
Redcrow
You could just create a spell that blocks Astral Perception?

The spells in the books need not be the only spells that exist in the world.
tagz
While yes you could theoretically create an illusion spell on the astral that hides things inside it, it would be obvious that there is a spell in that place from the aura and obvious as an illusion to an assensing test.

Though you could theoretically use it to block LOS if you can manage to have the onlooker fail the Willpower + Counterspelling, they'd know it's an illusion but still have to see it and can't see THROUGH it. They might also get a bonus to their roll due to knowing it's an illusion, or maybe I have the wrong game system.
Redcrow
I see no reason why you couldn't create a spell that not only hides a subject on the Astral but also hides the aura of any spells active on that subject as well. Unless there is some rule I'm missing somewhere that precludes it.
Yerameyahu
It's not clear that's something magic can do.
Aku
Perhaps the rule that all spells show up astrally?

=Draco]Yes.
Which is why you always use Concealment. Negative dice pool mods on EVERY AND ALL PERCEPTION CHECKS wins every time.

Shouldnt work. there is no Perception test on the astral plane. Most things are immediately obvious (looking like a kid throw up fruity pebbles, after all. if an astral being is trying to hide, then you astrally observe in detail, using an Assensing test (emphasis mine, p. 182, SR4)

The critter power specifically states it affects Perception tests.
Dakka Dakka
SR4A explicitly states that Concealment also works against Astral Perception.
Not against Matrix Perception though to mitigate the silliness.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 12 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Also, pixies can Conceal themselves, but screw pixies.

That could get messy.

-k
Machiavelli
You could manage a negative dice pool modifier for astral perception by causing background count with a spell.
Dakka Dakka
Manastatic does not move with anyone who you want to conceal, and it fades in a couple of hours.
pbangarth
The metamagic Extended Masking and the Free Spirit power Aura Masking would cover the Illusion spell, even on the astral.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012