Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "special chamber design" = Gas-Vent System?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eisenbeiß
I assume that this question has been brought up a dozen times on this forum. Nevertheless I'd like to have a definite answer. smile.gif

How do I have to understand the sentence "[...] the Alpha includes [...] a special chamber design that provides 2 points of recoil compensation"? (SR4a p. 318, but I know that is has been there since SR2)

Is it a needlessly complicated description for the fact that the Ares Alpha (or other weapons like the P93 Praetor) has a rating 2 Gas-Vent System? Or does it say that the Ares Alpha incorporates a different kind of RC that is compatible with a Gas-Vent System?
Medicineman
Its somethimg special
Its not a Gas vent
Its compatible with a Gas vent.

with a definitive Dance
Medicineman
Draco18s
Gas Vent systems are a barrel modification. You can tell because it's mutually exclusive with a sound suppressor.
Yerameyahu
That, and they fit a barrel slot. biggrin.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Eisenbeiß @ Nov 25 2010, 12:23 PM) *
I assume that this question has been brought a dozen times on this forum. Nevertheless I'd like to have a definite answer. smile.gif

How do I have to understand the sentence "[...] the Alpha includes [...] a special chamber design that provides 2 points of recoil compensation"? (SR4a p. 318, but I know that is has been there since SR2)

Is it a needlessly complicated description for the fact that the Ares Alpha (or other weapons like the P93 Praetor) has a rating 2 Gas-Vent System? Or does it say that the Ares Alpha incorporates a different kind of RC that is compatible with a Gas-Vent System?

It's a hiper-ultra-mega-kamehameha chamber that "magically" reduces the recoil by 2 points, cumulative with everything. Even being a forbidden rifle, I feel it is too cheap and with a low availability rating.
Yerameyahu
But there are lots of crazy things like that in the gear section. Enjoy. And if you're the GM, maybe punish your runners now and then for carrying gear that only the military is supposed to have. smile.gif
Method
Man, wait til you guys see War! devil.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 25 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Man, wait til you guys see War! devil.gif

Do you say that as wishful thinking or with actual inside knowledge?
Thanee
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 25 2010, 06:11 PM) *
Even being a forbidden rifle, I feel it is too cheap and with a low availability rating.

It is only AV F because of the grenade launcher. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Zyerne
That might seem like an obvious answer but doesn't hold up in the face of Arsenal.

The M22A3 has a GL but is rated R. The Semopal vz/88V and HK G12A3z have no underbarrel weapons but are still rated F
Aarakin
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 26 2010, 01:54 AM) *
Gas Vent systems are a barrel modification. You can tell because it's mutually exclusive with a sound suppressor.

Not true....you can have a gas vent mounted with a suppressor (the ingram smartgun has them both as standard features)

You just cant use them both at the same time...
Wounded Ronin
The chamber, um, moves. Uh, yeah. So it doesn't recoil. See?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Aarakin @ Nov 25 2010, 06:07 PM) *
You just cant use them both at the same time...

Hence mutually exclusive.
Method
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 25 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Do you say that as wishful thinking or with actual inside knowledge?
Probably a little bit of both... nyahnyah.gif

I sense that this thread is about to degenerate into an attempt to apply real world firearms logic to SR. That way madness lies...
Karoline
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 25 2010, 06:42 PM) *
Hence mutually exclusive.

Mutually exclusive in use, not mutually exclusive in existence. A weapon can support both, but a weapon cannot use both at the same time. So, mutually exclusive only in a particular way.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 25 2010, 10:51 PM) *
Mutually exclusive in use, not mutually exclusive in existence. A weapon can support both, but a weapon cannot use both at the same time. So, mutually exclusive only in a particular way.

Yes, which is exactly what I meant. Do I have to start being very clear cut and spell things out or can people go "that makes sense" and leave it well enough alone?
Teryn180
Given that "Special chamber design" is has to do with the chamber, and gas-vent is a barrel modification, and that the chamber and barrel are two different parts of the gun, it's probably safe to say they're not the same thing, and can even be used together.
Faraday
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Nov 25 2010, 10:17 PM) *
Yes, which is exactly what I meant. Do I have to start being very clear cut and spell things out or can people go "that makes sense" and leave it well enough alone?

Well, you're on dumpshock so....
Draco18s
QUOTE (Faraday @ Nov 25 2010, 11:21 PM) *
Well, you're on dumpshock the internet so....

Fixed that for you. indifferent.gif

Every day I find new levels of resentment/hatred/loathing for everyone outside my monkeysphere.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Method @ Nov 25 2010, 06:58 PM) *
I sense that this thread is about to degenerate into an attempt to apply real world firearms logic to SR. That way madness lies...

There are plenty of RL firearms that have little tricks built in to help reduce recoil, particularly usefull on the lighter polymer frame weapons.
StealthSigma
TL;DR

Gas Vent is a system that is located at the end of the barrel of a fire arm to vent exhaust gas in directions other than out the front of the barrel in order to counter balance the recoil and barrel drift caused by the exhaust gases coming out the barrel.

The chamber of a weapon is where the bullets are loaded just prior to firing and consists of the moving parts responsible for loading new cartridges and ejecting spent ones.

These are modifications to separate parts of the weapon and recoil modifiers from them stack.
Eisenbeiß
Many thanks for your answers! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012