Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment - Escape from Aztlan
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
J. Packer
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 11 2011, 01:56 PM) *
I did some background reading on voodoo and discovered that most of what I though I knew was from James Bond movies, and had little resemblance to actual worship . I think having Papa Legba as a mentor spirit could be a lot of fun.

That's hilarious right there, because I know exactly the movie you're talking about.
Digital Heroin
Bond movie knowledge beets my mash-up of William Gibson, Scooby Doo, and zombie movies for Voodoo knowledge.

Frank's cyberware was mainly for background, tied in to why he is no longer a professional corporate soldier, and every one of his augments (well, the core ones, not the eye-mods or hand mod) are therepudic mods. He got blow'd up, and was sheilding his face with his hand, lost the hand, and part of his face, then had to do work to fix his brain. I was going to throw a datajack and commlink into the mix, but even with Alpha he's at .99 essence loss, so, yeah,

Plus something about him having a throw away commlink, helmet commlink, and headware commlink all acting as layered blinds to disguise the fact he is a Technomancer seemed a bit excessive.
Digital Heroin
Silly me, I seem to be fixated on ignoring the 'don't bring anything too expensive' part of the initial post... but Frank isn't Frank without his ridiculous for a Technomancer Light Military armor. Well, he can always earn himself another suit if he has to abandon it... or hope a rating 2/1 freighter Captain will accept a package sent to him and not open it and go 'oooh, shiny and re-salable.'
Digital Heroin
Ok, still needs a bit of refining, and yeah, the format's gonna wind up balls... I'll fix all that as soon as possible... but here is Frank, aka Taibhse. Sadly, the old boy does not have his tricked out MilSpec armor anymore, but hey, he's got more Complex Forms as a result.

[ Spoiler ]

And yes, his Karma is unspent. That'll be done tomorrow. I'm gonna bring my netbook to work, do it up at lunch.
Seth
You probably have thought about this...but I would get some more complex forms: stealth and shielding are both very good. Stealth particularly. You can sprite wrangle so that you aren't doing hacking yourself (someone in the group is going to have to hack...and I suspect that will be you and your sprites), but you still want to be stealthy.

Registration is also very good: unlike mages you don't have to pay for ritual components. So if you have a few hours of down time you can register a rank 2/3 sprite very safely (no real chance of any serious drain). The nice thing about low ranking registered sprites is that they can maintain your threaded complex forms for you.

You might want to think about a resonance group as a contact: they allow you to submerge very cheaply.

Don't forget to get yourself some glasses, they can easily add 3 to your already high perception skill for visual stuff.
Digital Heroin
Frank's already got Stealth at 4 for a CF, and he's stretched for points already. I can't see him engaging in combat himself, or going into a system with IC in it without having some Sprite backup already, so sheilding isn't his gig, and can be threaded either way (Gotta love that +2 from Analytical mind on Software tests). This is a guy who has been an Emerged Technomancer at most a year, and most of that time has been spent under the thumb of a Mega. He's not attuned to the community. As for the glasses, he has them, but I was cash poor at the end and didn't bother with anything too much more.
Seth
Looking forward to seeing Frank in action smile.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 12 2011, 12:51 AM) *
And yes, his Karma is unspent. That'll be done tomorrow. I'm gonna bring my netbook to work, do it up at lunch.

Oh...I think I forgot to spend Karma on my character to. I'll go back and revisit that, at my lunch break.

What a motley crew we are...
Seth
Oops I was checking my character again and just realised the race Gnome has arcane arrester. I was after Noetony for the "Look harmless" benefit. I suspect that means I will have to be straight dwarf (arcane arrester as a self buffing mage is not so smart).

I'll re-publish the updated character tomorrow.
Digital Heroin
Gnomes are creepy... and no one ever lets me play one. Of course that might have to do with trying to field a Bard named G-nome in the game that shall not be named, who was a beatboxer, and had Leadership to get a posse. Still, tiny childlike people with cybernetics is eerie.
Seth
Gnomes are creepy... and no one ever lets me play one. Of course that might have to do with trying to field a Bard named G-nome in the game that shall not be named, who was a beatboxer, and had Leadership to get a posse

Lol.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 12 2011, 12:36 PM) *
Gnomes are creepy... and no one ever lets me play one. Of course that might have to do with trying to field a Bard named G-nome in the game that shall not be named, who was a beatboxer, and had Leadership to get a posse. Still, tiny childlike people with cybernetics is eerie.

Yeah... no...

Though I shouldn't talk. My wife almost wound up playing a vaguely cloaked Hannah Montana in that same game system as her first PC.
Digital Heroin
I tend to make crazy characters for said system, just because it bores me otherwise... I made a half-orge named Wade once, whose entire MO was wading into combat with a pair of sized up spiked chains and wrecking havok on mages (he has the whole Mage-Slayer tree) and anything in sight. He was dumb as a post, but had Leadership, with a cohort Bard who I was going to use as Wade's 'voice'... sadly that idea, too, was shot down.
Edana
So, converting from karmagen to bp is way more annoying than I'd anticipated. Anyhow, here's my submission, hoping I can slip in as the 5th wink.gif. Still have a bit of cash to futz around with, some of which will go to nice clothes, but I also have this feeling I'm forgetting something important. If anyone sees anything, feel free to let me know.

One thing I'd like to know for sure before I finalize gear is the ruling on emotitoys (cheesy as hell IMO, but can't really pass it up if it's allowed).

[ Spoiler ]
Seth
Looks cool to me: I cannot see what you are missing, I would like to be able to make sure well rounded characters.

The only suggestion for missing things I can see are:
  • Maybe you want a point of cybertech / medicine for long term care.
  • Do you want a fake SIN, or any licences?
  • Respirator? I hear some Aztech cities are pretty grim

I only spotted 1 error: (Perception 2 for a cost of 4).
Edana
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 12 2011, 04:26 PM) *
Looks cool to me: I cannot see what you are missing, I would like to be able to make sure well rounded characters.

The only suggestion for missing things I can see are:
  • Maybe you want a point of cybertech / medicine for long term care.
  • Do you want a fake SIN, or any licences?
  • Respirator? I hear some Aztech cities are pretty grim

I only spotted 1 error: (Perception 2 for a cost of 4).

Yeah, so I have fake SINs on my master sheet and somehow managed to miss copying them to this format, clearly I should pay closer attention nyahnyah.gif. A respirator might not be a bad idea, and they're pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

I can't really see her doing the medicine thing beyond basic first aid though (and I'm not so sure anyone else would want her to anyway, given that she'd be pretty bad at it even with a point in the skill). Good catch on the perception, was planning on buying that up with karma and changed my mind, so I forgot to revert that, easy enough to fix at least.

Thanks for the suggestions smile.gif.
Mickle5125
so for my poacher, I'm looking at the following at the moment:

Move-by-wire 2
Bone density aug 2
Digestive expansion
Muscle aug 2
muscle toner 2
platelet factories
sleep regulator
cyber eye
cyber ear

that leaves me with 11k nuyen for other gear and 1.365 essence (after including biocompatibility (cyberware)). Any suggestions?
Edana
I'm a big fan of the attention coprocessor (9k and 0.3 ess gets you +3 perception), all the more useful to someone who's essentially a hunter. Implanting a biomonitor and an autoinjector of some kind would probably make sense too. Just a couple ideas off the top of my head.
Seth
I don't really like move-by-wire. Its 18R to get level 2, so you need restricted gear frown.gif. Getting Wired reflexes, reaction enhancers and skill wires always struck me as cheaper (in total bps). YMMV.

I agree totally with the attention co-processor: perception is probably the skill that I end up rolling the most in many games.

You might want to change some of your gear to used cyberware: the cost is a lot cheaper, and you have quite a bit of essence left.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 12 2011, 04:09 PM) *
I don't really like move-by-wire. Its 18R to get level 2, so you need restricted gear frown.gif. Getting Wired reflexes, reaction enhancers and skill wires always struck me as cheaper (in total bps). YMMV.

I agree totally with the attention co-processor: perception is probably the skill that I end up rolling the most in many games.

You might want to change some of your gear to used cyberware: the cost is a lot cheaper, and you have quite a bit of essence left.

Yeah, I built a character once around the idea that he was running because he was trying to save the 1.75 million nuyen he needed to buy deltaware Move By Wire 3, because you just can't start out with it at any grade, no way, no how.

I miss the old essence rules - where the lower your essence, the crazier you got, by default. smile.gif
Mickle5125
move-by-wire offers +2 to reaction AND +1 to dodge per level, on top of the IP increase and the skillwires. That's the big reason I like it.
Digital Heroin
Aye, MBW is a fantastic piece of kit. Sure, you rust Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, but the risk is outweighed by the reward.
J. Packer
...and if we all took what was "the best choice" then there would be no differences in the world. And that's not very cyberpunk at all...
Mickle5125
indeed. So the twitchy cybered-up ork is gonna be having some fun.

On a related note, does anyone know how common essence drain is among para-critters?
J. Packer
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jan 13 2011, 09:14 AM) *
indeed. So the twitchy cybered-up ork is gonna be having some fun.

On a related note, does anyone know how common essence drain is among para-critters?

In the core rules (SR4A) it's just Vampires and Wendigos. I didn't realize how tightly controlled the power is. If you're in a position to resist, they can't drain your essence.
Mickle5125
Cool. Then I have a chance to punch back before they slaughter me. Time to burn more essence!
Zyerne
Outside of the Infected, vary rare. Spider in Australia, a leech in the Bay Area and a reptile in the Caribbean.
Mickle5125
Zyrene,

What's your stance on second-hand bioware? Is it a "when it makes sense" thing, or are you ok with everything being second hand?
Zyerne
As a concept, I dislike it intensely. As far as allowing it, it's definately when it makes sense. I've seen second hand bone density augmentation and that just made me boggle.
Digital Heroin
Cybernetics I get, because they're machinery ultimately, and you can clean up and recondition machines. Bioware second hand, though, is just squidgy. Yeah, people get transplant organs all the time, but those are normal organs, not crazy manufactured ones.
Seth
If you have the concept of type 'O' donors which are universally accepted (which shadowrun has), I don't have a problem with second hand basic bioware. A kidney taken from a donor is pretty much the same as a kidney grown to order. I like the difference between cultured bioware (grown for you and cannot be second hand) and basic bioware (just grow these organs in a vat), although I fully take your point about bone lacing. I guess I am supporting the "where it makes sense" argument.
Mickle5125
The excel character generator I'm using has a "chameleon cloak" listed under the armor section. It seems to be identical to the chameleon suit, just a cloak instead of the form-fitting suit. It seems like it would be perfect for a poacher. Anyone know where it came from?
Digital Heroin
Frank is now done. Background added, and spent Karma to submerge, but saved the rest for upping that Ressonance. Got him the Multiprocessing Echo, 'cause I've never used it before.

[ Spoiler ]
Seth
OK as I said above my original plan for Mole was to be a gnome. Sadly I have had to abandon that as arcane arrester looks just too much like trouble, so I have modified Mole to be a dwarf, with "looks human". If the GM is happy, that can be "looks human childlike", if not I'm happy to tweak the character description. IRRC dwarf and gnome are same cost (I am AFB),, and I shouldn't need to make any other changes

I am looking forward to meeting the rest of you in game!
J. Packer
I made a couple tweaks, and spent most of his Karma, saving some for later. Prometheus is ready to rock.
Mickle5125
I should have my poacher, Grey, done sometime Monday. Things have been a little busy around here, but I'll be done with everything soon.

Does anyone know where the "Chameleon Cloak" mentioned in DamienKnight's character generator came from? If it's a house-rule item, can I have it?
Seth
Does anyone know where the "Chameleon Cloak" mentioned in DamienKnight's character generator came from?

I had a good look through my source books and couldn't find it.
Zyerne
DK is back posting in his char generator thread, might want to pop in there and ask him as I can't find it either.
Zyerne
Guys,

I'm unfortunately going to have to put this on hold while I find somewhere to live. I was planning on moving April-ish but I've had to accelerate my timetable.

Digital Heroin
Reality trumps game, all is understood. Good luck on sorting out the shelter arangements.
Seth
Best of luck in the future Zyrene. I hope you rezz this in the future, but either way its been nice talking to you

Mickle5125
Good luck with everything!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012