Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment - First Run (4th Edition)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Panticles
This is the recruitment thread for the First Run PBP that will be run here.

[Link to First Run - Food Fight]
[Link to OOC Thread]
At this point I'm completely open to any and all character types, races, gear and so on.

Any book is fine to use to create your character as long as it's an official game book and not something you've just made up.

Character generation: 400 BP

I'll be honest, I'm pretty lazy so I'm going to skim most of the characters that will be posted. If you spot something that seems incorrect let me know and I'll try and get it fixed.

First four runners that post their completed character sheets in Spoiler tags in reply to this post will get to go on the first run. I can probably handle up to eight runners so I will add characters up to that upper limit. Characters after that will go on to the reserve list.

If there is a lot of interest I may open up another game using the same run.

I will probably post three times a week, monday/wednesday/friday, to give people time to reply to the current action.

Feel free to ask questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can.
Drace
Got an ork face I would love to bring into this game, just got to fix him up for 400 bp, any idea on what the game style is going to be though? More covert? Mirrored sunglasses/pink mohawk?
Thanee
Will you use the "First Run" adventure module (from SR3, I think), or is the name just a coincidence. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seth
I would like to register interest in your first run game.

Let me introduce you to Cindy: a rock star of national fame who unbeknown to the masses is also a Yakuza representative (Any claims that this is modelled on Frank Sinatra are of course wrong). Cindy had the bad luck to fall into the wrong crowd (the Yaks) who take the majority of the cash, but she is making the most of that. I suspect her agent (loyalty 2...) is also creaming some of the cash. Cindy has the fame, the clothes, but no security. It is of course not known (hopefully by anyone) that she is a shifter.

Cindy's mother was a shadowrunner (like striper in the novels), who managed to get Cindy a real SIN after the second crash. Sadly her mother has not been heard of for 3 years and Cindy fears the worst.

Cindy is not optimised for shadowrunning (combat skills around 8 to 10 die), but is OK at talking to people (Yakuza contacts, and most social skills at 14), and sneaking/shadowing (stealth 11). How ever if you want someone to play that electric guitar, or sing for you: she's your girl (artisan 14 die / captivating performance 16 die).

I would appreciate any feedback on the character. I still have a few thousand nuyen left to spend on miscellaneous equipment if needed.

[ Spoiler ]

Edited to get a fixer contact
Panticles
@Drace - An ork face is fine with me. I've got no set style for this game, I'm going to let it evolve through the actions of the players. Which is a fancy way of saying I'm just going to wait and see what happens.

@Thanee - Yep! This game is based on the 'First Run' SR3 adventure but I'm going to update it to SR4 and maybe throw in a couple of changes. I bought a bunch of the SR3 adventures from this guy through a local trading website. I got a pretty good deal actually.

@Seth - Cindy looks good. She's got a high profile, what with being a Nationally recognised star, but as long as she is discrete and uses plenty of disguises she should be fine. Just so you know she's going to be running for relative peanuts compared to the money a big time star makes, but seeing as she is getting taxed for all she's got that money is going to be her's to claim. Also you need to spend points on a Fixer contact, preferably one outside the immediate reach of the Yaks. Unless you want her Yak bosses to know that she is running? Plus this game is set in Seattle, so you should pick one of the yak groups in that city to be part of, and don't forget some of the more traditional groups have no time for modern women.
Digital Heroin
I am so tempted to make some kind of straightforward asskicker build... so very tempted...
Seth
Cindy looks good. She's got a high profile, what with being a Nationally recognised star, but as long as she is discrete and uses plenty of disguises she should be fine.

Thanks. I hope the facial sculpt will help smile.gif

Just so you know she's going to be running for relative peanuts compared to the money a big time star makes, but seeing as she is getting taxed for all she's got that money is going to be her's to claim.

Woot cash at last!

Also you need to spend points on a Fixer contact, preferably one outside the immediate reach of the Yaks.

OK I will drop assensing and spend 7 points on a fixer: Loyalty 4 Connections 3. I've edited the original post

Plus this game is set in Seattle, so you should pick one of the yak groups in that city to be part of, and don't forget some of the more traditional groups have no time for modern women

Unfortunately I don't have the Seattle source books...any idea for a Yak group thats slightly accepting of women? I'm quite happy to invent something if that will help
Seth
I am so tempted to make some kind of straightforward asskicker build... so very tempted...

Hey you don't need to ass kick...surely we can just sing them to sleep, or Drace can talk nicely to them.
Digital Heroin
I'll fish out the name of a good New Yak family for you when I hit my home computer tonight, Seth.

As for kicking ass... sometimes a Troll's just got to punch something through the face...
J. Packer
Just posting my intention to play my first technomancer if I'm allowed in...
sabs
Don't do it!
Seth
Do it!
J. Packer
QUOTE (sabs @ Jan 12 2011, 04:18 PM) *
Don't do it!

Wait...

Don't play a technomancer?

Or don't let me in?

Think wisely before you answer...

ETA: Ha! You are too late! Here's my first draft
[ Spoiler ]
Drace
Finally got Derek a.k.a "Slick"/John Adams/Jack Aber done stat wise. Will post Bg and desc later.

Character sheet
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
QUOTE (Panticles @ Jan 12 2011, 11:34 PM) *
@Thanee - Yep! This game is based on the 'First Run' SR3 adventure but I'm going to update it to SR4 and maybe throw in a couple of changes. I bought a bunch of the SR3 adventures from this guy through a local trading website. I got a pretty good deal actually.

Nice. Havn't played that yet. smile.gif

Gonna write up a character sheet... seeing there is a Technomancer and two mostly social characters, I think a Magician would be a good fit.

Bye
Thanee
Panticles
@Digital Heroin - Straitforward asskicker could be fun. If you come up with a good character post him/her up and I'll add you in.

@Seth - Are you dumping your Agent contact? Might be an idea to hang onto him/her and just have your Fixer at a lower level. Never know when you need good representation!

@J.Packer - Jake aka Flash looks good. I'll add you to the list of active players. Come up with a background and description for him.

@Drace - Derek looks good. I'll add you to the list of active players. Post your background and description when your ready. (Copy & Paste FTW!)

@Thanee - Feel free to play whatever you like. You got a character that you've been itching to play? Then play that. No need to conform to the needs of the group. FREEDOM IS ANARCHY! And other slogans of that nature. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this game is all about playing the character that you want to. The group will find it's own equilibrium(is that even the right spelling?)

Also I have no idea how to create spoiler tags, can somebody put me to a link or FAQ or something? Cheers
Thanee
[ spoiler ] (in square brackets without the spaces) before and [ /spoiler ] behind the spoilered text.

One question: Would you consider the rather common house rule to grant some free Contacts (BP = Charisma x2; similar to the free Knowledge Skills during CharGen)?

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
OK something I have wanted to play... grinbig.gif

Lamia
[ Spoiler ]
Seth
I just bought a copy of runner havens to get a low down on Yakuza in Seattle. I'm glad I did as there is a nice tie in to the novel Steel Rain which is one of my favourite Shadowrun novels. So if its OK I am a member of the Shigeda-gumo following the chairmans "New Way" (which happily for me includes Metahumans and women).

I'll finalise the back story and contact details, and post them back with Original Cindy at the top of the Forum.

Nice to meet Dawn and Lamia (although Lamia creeps me out already ... some sort of poisonous snake thing with arms...gulp)

WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 13 2011, 01:32 PM) *
I just bought a copy of runner havens to get a low down on Yakuza in Seattle. I'm glad I did as there is a nice tie in to the novel Steel Rain which is one of my favourite Shadowrun novels. So if its OK I am a member of the Shigeda-gumo following the chairmans "New Way" (which happily for me includes Metahumans and women).

I'll finalise the back story and contact details, and post them back with Original Cindy at the top of the Forum.

Nice to meet Dawn and Lamia (although Lamia creeps me out already ... some sort of poisonous snake thing with arms...gulp)

If Lamia is approved, would be interesting, both are dual natured not human magic types. Each of us is a predator with a non human outlook on life. grinbig.gif
Digital Heroin
I'm sketching out a Type O troll at the moment... nasty, nasty...
Seth
OK I have tweaked Cindy to include details of the Seattle Yakuza Shigeda clan. One of my favourite Shadowrun novels (Steel Rain) is basically about this clan and the Chairmans new way, so I have slightly changed Cindy's views on why she is running to be compatible with the clan and the new way. I don't have an agent in this build: the Shigeda clan explained to me that they will be my agent.

Race
Tiger shifter

Attributes
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities
[ Spoiler ]

Adept Powers
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Equipment
[ Spoiler ]

Character Details
[ Spoiler ]

I have left the original on the OOC thread. If you are happy with this build I will move this across. The changes are:
1: I corrected a mistake in the languages / knowledges section (I had too many)
2: I have given names to the fake SINs
3: I added a small amount of miscellaneous equipment
J. Packer
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 13 2011, 01:59 PM) *
OK I have tweaked Cindy to include details of the Seattle Yakuza Shigeda clan. One of my favourite Shadowrun novels (Steel Rain) is basically about this clan and the Chairmans new way, so I have slightly changed Cindy's views on why she is running to be compatible with the clan and the new way.

If I'm remembering correctly, there's a story that references "the new way" in the new Shadowrun anthology they just put out...
Seth
If I'm remembering correctly, there's a story that references "the new way" in the new Shadowrun anthology they just put out...

Awesome. I didn't know about the new anthology, is it a story, rule book, PDF...?
J. Packer
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 13 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Awesome. I didn't know about the new anthology, is it a story, rule book, PDF...?

Novel length collection of short stories. Available in PDF through Catalyst, I think.
Digital Heroin
IIRC it's called Chrome and Spells. It's got a lot of good reads in it, very nice collection of stories. It's out in paper as well.

Also, progress is being made on Frankenstein, despite my lack of books or power to my netbook. I may be hideously mis-remembering what Type O does, though...
Thanee
Type O makes all Bioware effectively deltagrade concerning Essence costs.

Bye
Thanee
Digital Heroin
I knew I was thinking wrong... gah... was thinking it was cyberware for some reason.

Well, Frankenstein'll just be a low essence monster...
Thanee
Heh. It would be pretty crazy if it did that. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
J. Packer
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 13 2011, 03:24 PM) *
I knew I was thinking wrong... gah... was thinking it was cyberware for some reason.

Well, Frankenstein'll just be a low essence monster...

Aw, and here I was thinking he was going to be a low essence monster who got that way exclusively using bioware. smile.gif
Digital Heroin
Well I was going for a street grown build, so bioware might be involved, but it will be fairly minimal... oh god, a Type O with near zero essence... how much would he have crammed in there? :O

The idea behind Frankenstein is that he was an up and coming pugilist, fighting his way through the bar circuits to a semi-legit league, complete with TV deals and the like. Just when he was starting to get well known, in stepped a manager with a really nice Italian suit, who offered to take all of the stress out of things for a little cut. The legitimate manager type gets him a few choice fights, and lines him up for a championship fight, but tells him he's got to lose. He is swayed to take a dive, but in the round he is supposed to drop his opponent lands a low blow, and Frankenstein snaps. The round ends with his opponent being on food through a straw and blood coming out red country, and him the winner of a championship belt...

...then it comes to light that his opponent had been doped, and set up to lose by a rival legitimate business syndicate. The blame gets pinned on Frank's manager, and by extension Frank. Frank finds himself stripped of his title, and one night in a dark alley a couple of his manager's associates come up to the limo they are riding in, smash in a window, and drop in a firebomb. The manager is killed in the ensuing fire, and everyone assumed Frank was, too, but someone finds him, and gets him to a street doc. The doc replaces half the Troll's body, with whatever he's got lying around, and when he has recovered recruits Frankenstein as his personal debt collector.

We're left with a cybered to the teeth troll who has a pretty decently connected syndicate looking to finish the job they tried to do to him, who is just too damn stubborn to die. Safe to assume he's been around for a while after the accident, enough time to round out some skills, but he's most dangerous when people get in reach of his big metal hands.
Digital Heroin
Double
Digital Heroin
Triple... and posted after I was viewing the double on the thread, and had edited it to say double. That and the somehow split double make this computer all manner of strange/win.
Belvidere
Wow, interest kicked up before I even got a chance to log on. Well, I've got a few character concepts in mind. I know there is no spot open at the moment, unless you're willing to go above that four mark. If not, can I have a reserve spot on "whatever is needed"? grinbig.gif

I make lots of characters, so I've got anything the group needs on file somewhere.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Belvidere @ Jan 13 2011, 06:50 PM) *
Wow, interest kicked up before I even got a chance to log on. Well, I've got a few character concepts in mind. I know there is no spot open at the moment, unless you're willing to go above that four mark. If not, can I have a reserve spot on "whatever is needed"? grinbig.gif

I make lots of characters, so I've got anything the group needs on file somewhere.

I will yield/give up any spot I may have, I am active in one game here, to let someone play who is not in a game. grinbig.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 13 2011, 07:19 PM) *
I will yield/give up any spot I may have, I am active in one game here, to let someone play who is not in a game. grinbig.gif

As will I. I'm happy to be on the waiting list, if someone else wants the slot who has no game to play. I've got my fingers in many, many games, and it doesn't pay to be greedy. smile.gif
Seth
Type O makes all Bioware effectively deltagrade concerning Essence costs.

IIRC Type O makes Basic Bioware deltaware. Most of the really good bioware (cerebral boosters and the equivalent of wired reflexes) are cultured bioware and not covered.
Thanee
Yep, though I thought "basic" means as opposed to "used, alphaware, betaware & deltaware". But you could be right there.

Bye
Thanee
Panticles
@Thanee - I'm kind of fiddly on bringing house rules into the game but that one doesn't seem to bad. I'm going to put it to the vote. If enough players are ok with it then it's in, if not then it's not allowed. Plus thanks for the spoiler info!

@WearzManySkins - Lamia is approved. I'm intrigued by her and how she finds life in Seattle. The one thing I want to know though is she a recent arrival to Seattle or has been there for a while? Plus no need for you to give up your place. I've got a max of 8 spaces open for players. It just means that I've got to have a lot of stuff going on for everybody if we reach that limit!

@Seth - I'm very happy with the new Cindy aka Hard Candy. APPROVED! Shift your redone character sheet over to the OOC thread.

@Digital Heroin - Intriguing character background. Plus what's this Type O business and which book is it in? Get your character sheet finished and I'll have a looksee and we'll go from there.

@Belvidere - Come up with the character you'd like to play and we'll go from there. I let some guy play a naga with arms so you know I'm pretty freaky. grinbig.gif

Ok Thanee has proposed that we use the House Rule - Free Starting Contacts (BP=Charisma x2). I'm ok with it but want everybody who is playing to vote whether or not they are keen. Currently there are 5 approved players and 2 players pending. One vote each, Yes or No, no abstaining. Please post your vote when you get a chance, unless there is some kind of voting thing?

Also I should mention that if we hit my upper limit of players for this game, which is 8, and more players want to play I will simply start up another game using the same exact game module but using the players that have expressed an interest. Players that drop out of this game will not be replaced unless we hit my minimum limit of four, or if somebody has a waiting character ready to go and the current players approve.
J. Packer
I have used the "free contacts" rule in other games, and have not had any issues with it. As a GM, I would say "2xCHA in free BP towards contacts, with no rating, contact or loyalty, higher than 3 (or 4 with a great back story)" or otherwise be prepared to reign in something that could be game-breaking, but my vote is "Yes."
Seth
Thanks for agreeing to Cindy. I have moved her, and am looking forward to playing!

You asked a few questions:
  • With regards to Thanee: I think that bioware / cyberware should be as good as magic: otherwise we would be playing magicrun. So anything that makes starting non magicians better I am for!
  • I vote for the free contacts as its is all win for the players and for the GM. Just be sure that we have to stat and name the contacts (I still need to do that)
  • Type O is from augmented its one of the new positive qualities: 30 pts as I recall it (I am AFB at the moment). All basic bioware can be considered as delta ware for you. It means that a load of the bioware thats out there came from you. Perhaps you escaped from a lab. You are of course the universal donor, so if anyone needs a new heart in a hurry, you are always available...

Thanee
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 14 2011, 02:22 PM) *
With regards to Thanee: I think that bioware / cyberware should be as good as magic: otherwise we would be playing magicrun. So anything that makes starting non magicians better I am for!

Not entirely sure what you refer to here... the "basic" bioware thing?

My reading (basic = not used, alpha-/beta-/deltaware) is more lenient than yours (i.e. it also covers cultured).

So I am a bit confused what you actually mean. wobble.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 14 2011, 02:08 PM) *
...with no rating, contact or loyalty, higher than 3 (or 4 with a great back story).

Limiting Loyalty is alright (even down to 2). But limiting Connection Rating doesn't make much sense, since it fully depends on the kind of contact. Some contacts simply are more connected than others.

i.e. you cannot know a Show Biz Agent with Connection Rating 1, since that combination would not exist. Being well-connected is the bread and buttor for such a contact, and that is what the Connection Rating reflects.

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
Lamia only recently has come to Seattle.

When traveling around in more public locations she uses her magics to restrict the number of beings that see her true form.

I vote yes for the house rule.
Drace
Voting yes for the house rule, mostly since I used that for years thinking it was an errata to the real rules and think it makes perfect sense. And also I think we should limit the connection and loyalty to 4 aswell, anything more can be damn overpowering. And just cause they are an agent doesnt mean they are any good btw;)

Edit* And will have my final draft of the character sheet up by tonight hopefully, or tomarrow morning.
Seth
Not entirely sure what you refer to here... the "basic" bioware thing?
My reading (basic = not used, alpha-/beta-/deltaware) is more lenient than yours (i.e. it also covers cultured).

The problem with english language is that its not very precise. I am very happy to go along with which ever interpretation you want to go for. I think 30 pts is a huge amount to pay for a quality, and it should give pretty huge benefits.
J. Packer
Yeah, just because you have a contact in Hollywood, doesn't mean it's Spielberg. smile.gif
J. Packer
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 14 2011, 08:44 AM) *
The problem with english language is that its not very precise. I am very happy to go along with which ever interpretation you want to go for. I think 30 pts is a huge amount to pay for a quality, and it should give pretty huge benefits.

It is a very pricey quality, and the read I have on it is that it doesn't actually include cultured bioware:
Type O System
Cost: 30 BP
Though exceptionally rare, a few lucky people in the world
have completely non-allergenic “type O” cells, meaning that they
can give organ transplants to just about anyone with little chance of
rejection. While the character cannot accept second-hand bioware
at all, their essential cell line is already cultivated as the generic
standard throughout the world. Off the rack, basic bioware is considered
delta grade for purposes of interacting with a type O body
(i.e., reduce Essence Costs by half, though nuyen prices remain the
same). Their bodies are also filled with universally transplantable
organs, so maybe they shouldn’t brag too much about this talent.

"off the rack, basic bioware" says to me that it's not the stuff that had to be grown specifically for you, but the stuff that would work in anyone.
Thanee
Yeah, the "off the rack" is kinda telling. True enough.

Bye
Thanee
Seth
I thought I would flesh out my contacts a bit:

Barry the fixer
[ Spoiler ]

If we go for the house charisma rules I have a few ideas:
John Plod the Lone star detective L6 C4
[ Spoiler ]

The 405 hell hounds L4 C3 Size 2 Area of influence 1
[ Spoiler ]

The Seattle fan club L4 C1 Size 3pts Area of influence 2
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012