Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GenCon Indy 2011
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
nezumi
So Wednesday at 8pm at Claddagh's.
DWC
I'll be there with between 0 and 4 friends in tow.
LurkerOutThere
I will be there with 1 other.
Kai
Two here, I know Shecky will be 1 or 2 if he doesn't remember to come check the thread again
Redjack
Two of us will make it.
grendel
I'll be there plus one other.
Critias
Put me down for (total) of four people.

Also, thanks for making the phone calls and organizing this. Remind me to buy you a beer when we're all there and hangin' out.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 17 2011, 07:05 AM) *
Hey, you can plant secret notes and drop bears around the bar for us to pick up when we get there!

Sucks, but I'm stuck about an hour and a half south until I fly back. Upside is that I'll be back in SD in time for the last day of ComicCon. I did have a 4 day pass to that. At least I'll be able to get he last day in.
nylanfs
I'll be there, possibly with one to two others. I convinced a friend that I just started working with three years ago to get back into gaming. And he hasn't been to a GenCon for 20 years, so he's probably going to stick close to me this Con (at least until the shock wears of, he was last playing when it wasn't as mainstream as it is now).
AStarshipforAnts
SSS and I will be there.
john_doe
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 18 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Put me down for (total) of four people.

Also, thanks for making the phone calls and organizing this. Remind me to buy you a beer when we're all there and hangin' out.

Not a Problem. I realize i am not one of the more active DS members, but the Meet and Greet is one of the highlights of the Con for me. I remember being at the unofficial first one (i think it was anyway) where we tried to play the Shadowrun Card Game (still have my cards BTW, thanks Bull!) into the wee hours of the morning AFTER the con officially began. I think that's when the decision was made to have it on Wednesday.

So if a few phone calls here or there will hopefully keep the tradition going, then it's all worth it in the end. Besides, it's nice to just hang out, relax and BS about any and all things SR on the eve of the Con before all hell breaks loose.

Sam Adams is my beer of choice. Last year it was on special...here's hoping it's still on special this year. wink.gif
nezumi
Expect 1 +/- 1.
Straight Razor
I will be there might bring one more.
DireRadiant
+1
capt.pantsless
2 weeks until the massive 12-hour drive to Indy begins! I'm already waaayyy too excited for this.
Tacitus05
aww..this will be my first gencon..and have played shadowrun..since first ed....and I wont get their untill thurs morning!. Well quick couple of questions
1. Alll the shadowrun games require to have played certain modules of which I have not..and can't get into one. How do I get into a shadowrun game in Gencon with that limitation?
2. Is there any other meet ups planned?
Critias
QUOTE (Tacitus05 @ Jul 19 2011, 04:01 PM) *
1. Alll the shadowrun games require to have played certain modules of which I have not..and can't get into one. How do I get into a shadowrun game in Gencon with that limitation?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Missions lines of adventures do have an "experience required" suggestion prior to signing up, but I know they don't all require you to have played any certain modules. Quite a few of them (the CMP adventures in particular) are totally "stand alone" games that don't even fit into an existing year's arching plot, or anything.
Fringe
Welcome back to the Shadows, Tacitus!

The "Experience Required" tag mostly means that it's best if you're familiar with the rules. You don't have to be an expert, but that 4-hour slot flies by quickly.

As for formal prerequisites, there are none. I've had players show up at my tables without a character, and it works fine. There's a selection of sample characters (the archetypes from SR4A) available at the captain's table. The Missions rules allow a one-time redesign of your character after the first game, to account for the idea that your sample character might not be what you want to play later.

In other words, the only real limitation at a Missions table is that there be a place at the table for you. If you have a ticket for the event, that's covered. If not, bring generic tickets (looks like it's 4 generics, or $8 worth, this year). We generally do what we can to find a spot for someone who wants to play.
Shecky
*looks at Kai* thanks Kai. nyahnyah.gif

2 here. Looking forward to it!
Bull
Ok, looks like we're doing a short freelancers meeting on Wednesday. Not entirely sure the time, nor exactly how long it will run. But I (and the other freelancers I can drag with, at the very least Caine_Hazen and probably one or two more) will be there at some point before it gets too late.
Critias
You're a pretty big guy, but otherwise I wouldn't describe myself as terribly "draggable," no. Odds are good I'll be tagging along, though.
Tacitus05
sweet..sounds good, although it may not just be me showing up to the table..I have three to four friends who are hyped up to shadowrunning. So the best thing I can do is make some SRM legal characters to run with?
Fringe
QUOTE (Tacitus05 @ Jul 25 2011, 04:55 PM) *
sweet..sounds good, although it may not just be me showing up to the table..I have three to four friends who are hyped up to shadowrunning. So the best thing I can do is make some SRM legal characters to run with?

That sort of advance prep will serve you well, especially if you're going to play together. It also gives you the opportunity for a first hack at character design, then you can take the second hack after the first Mission. (Instead of taking an archetype character and having your first look at redesign being the last. Or if you're playing multiple Missions at Gen Con, you at least have time to take a first hack.) Starting characters are 400 BP, just like the standard in SR4A, with a few tweaks for Missions play. Just refer to the FAQ (in .pdf form at the bottom of the SR Missions page), since there are some special rules (and qualities forbidden) to streamline play for the limited venue. Also, keep in mind that mind control spells and possession traditions have been (or are about to be) banned from Missions play.

If you already have tickets for the games you're planning to attend, it might serve you well to coordinate your characters to cover most scenarios. That is, don't show up with four street samurai, because you risk having holes in matrix coverage, magical support, and/or social skills at your table. If your group naturally has someone for each of the major roles, all the better, but it's usually sufficient that a group of four covers at least three of those roles. If you're showing up with generics, you run the risk that any one table couldn't handle all four of you, so you'd probably want to make characters who are more generalized or at least dual-role. A mystic adept, or even a tweaked Combat Mage archetype, can provide decent coverage for physical and magical. Or you can channel the adept abilities of that mystic adept toward hacking, and make a reasonably good hacker/mage. And any of the Charisma-based magical traditions work particularly well as face characters. There's plenty of character build advice on these forums, so I won't pretend to even give a digest version here.

If you haven't played lately, you might try running your shiny new characters through the classic Food Fight demo scenario (at the end of the Quick Start rules), just to get a feel for how they play. It's by no means a requirement, but it'll give you a preview for how the system works and how your characters work together. Food Fight will be run with minis and a cool diorama at the Catalyst booth during the con.

And some of the regulars write their DS usernames on their Gen Con badges, so you may be able to put faces to a few names.
Redjack
Hey! Anybody gonna run a pickup game during the free gaming on Wednesday?
LurkerOutThere
I can, I'll have all kinds of time although I can't guarantee how awake I'll be, anything in particular you want to play?
Redjack
Thanks!! My wife and I couldn't get tickets the the first several of the new Missions. Playing in one of those would be our preference.
LurkerOutThere
I'm willing to run anything I have a copy of including the new stuff so long as Bull doesn't object (he didn't mind us getting in a bit of GM's slot 0 action plus a few more wed before Origins so hopefully he's feeling lenient here as well.). I'm in the same boat as you it's hard to get tickets, off the top of my head I can run.

Any of the regular SRM's up through rally cry.
Deconstructing Patriots
Congressional Conspiracies
Stormcrow Undone
TRO2073

I may also have access to Ancient Pawns depending on how the schedule breaks down. We should be getting to the convention center around noon-ish if not a little before.
Critias
I might try to sneak into a game (as a change of pace from running 'em), and I've got a few buddies I could bring with me to round out a group. Several of us are throwing together Missions characters just for the Scramble, and getting a dry run (and maybe even some karma!) before the big LARP might be a good idea. wink.gif Depending on what time y'all are getting started, and if you need a few more players, that is.
Bull
It's fine Lurker, you know that. smile.gif Plus if you need any other Missions to run, let me know.
LurkerOutThere
Alright so now it comes down to what do folks want to play? I have a soft spot for deconstructing patriots and congressional conspiracies as I wrote them, but i'm open to whatever. Actually thinking about it maybe I should run Rally Cry so my fiance can actually sit something she hasn't proofread or played about dozen times. Shall we meet up about 12:30PM somewhere? I have Redjack's number so i can contact him once we arrive, Critias do you want to PM me your cell number?
Abdul Alhazred
I might try and get in on that if you have any room.
Critias
PM launched!
LurkerOutThere
Ok with Redjack and Wife, Abdul and Wife, Critias and his buddies, plus my own lovely significant other we should have about a 7-8 player table or so which should be a breeze if no one has any major events on their dance card for that day. I should be there sometime around noon. We'll plan on a game start about 1ish. Do we want to meet up at the Union Station or one of the hotels? The facebook page for Wed. gaming has it at union station although the address puts it closer to the convention center proper (union station is what I might call a pleasant walk from there to the convention center). Personally I kind of propose we meet at the Holiday Inn Express and camp out in their lobby but that could be me being greedy.

Since i heard no objections I think the module in question will be Rally Cry which is the just released SRM04 module.
Critias
We'll be parking/staying/checking-in at the Omni Severin, which is (I believe) right next door to Union Station, but just around the corner from the Holiday Inn Express...so either works for me.
john_doe
In case anyone is curious, the Meet 'n' Greet tally is between 25-30 so far. I'll probably be calling down on Tuesday to give them the final tally, so they can hopefully section us off our own little area.
LurkerOutThere
I think Redjack is going to beat the rest of us there by like a day so maybe he and his wife aught to be in charge of finding us a table.
Redjack
We'll all be gaming together starting at 1:00. biggrin.gif
Thokk
Good news, bad news, and a few questions . . .

Bad news . . . My pre-registration did not function properly so I was not able to get specific seat tickets for many slots of SR at GenCon 2011.

Good news . . . I bought a ton of generics purely for use towards getting into as many Shadowrun games as possible!

Questions . . . I am wondering who is best to speak with (likely your convention coordinator) about weaseling my way into a few games and thought if I could speak to someone ahead of time all the better. So does anyone have suggestions of who I should speak with?

Who Am I?
I am an individual who has written, edited, and judged a ton of missions/modules for a couple of different systems (Star Wars d6 & Star Wars d20) and is lookgin for an different ongoing campaign to get involved with and I really enjoy Shadowrun!
Thokk
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 17 2011, 08:19 PM) *
Claddagh does have some good whiskey, at least. Probably not quite up to actual Irish Pub standards, but hey, better than you usually find here. smile.gif

Bull

Amen!

Since you are meeting at the Claddagh, and as you Bull mentions they do have decent whiskey (Jameson) . . .

. . . I will see if I can make it out to meet some of you folks before the mayhem that is GenCon begins!

Looking forward to it folks!
Redjack
QUOTE (Thokk @ Jul 30 2011, 07:29 PM) *
Questions . . . I am wondering who is best to speak with (likely your convention coordinator) about weaseling my way into a few games and thought if I could speak to someone ahead of time all the better. So does anyone have suggestions of who I should speak with?
Bad news. Get in line with the rest of us with generics and hope there are enough overflow GMs. biggrin.gif
LurkerOutThere
Unfortunately SR always sells out very quickly, we do our best to accommodate and I don't recall having to turn anyone away at any of the slots I've run.

Thokk
All good Lurker, I was the president of a 15 year ongoing campaign for quite a few years and did my best to make sure that did not happen as well.

I'll look forward to sneaking into as many games as possible!
Critias
Hey Lurker, did we ever get 100% on where and when we're gonna meet for the Wednesday game?
LurkerOutThere
Not really i was kind of leaving it up to Redjack as he and his wife will be arriving the day before and will have a better chance to recon. I'm still partial to the Holiday Inn express but that is my own laziness. I'm a little loathe to do it at the Union Station as I don't want to fight for table space and if Abdul and his wife join us late we should have a pretty full table. The more I think about it grabbing a table in the breakfast area of the HI express sounds better and better.
Redjack
Holiday Inn Express at 1:00 is good for us.
Thanks!
Critias
Holiday Inn Express at 1:00 it is, then!
Redjack
We're on the road! See you all there.
Abdul Alhazred
Made it in at 4PM. It's only 8 and I'm going to crash. I can't stay up for 24 hours at a time anymore. Old age is for the birds.
DireRadiant
I am in the Claddagh right now!
Redjack
Ditto
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012