Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to all the Lone Star Beat cops?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Daddy's Little Ninja
When LS lost the contract for Seattle the corporatino suddenly did not need such a large number of employees in Seattle.
Some could have been transfered to the corporate security division and many combat mages and deckers would have been considered too expensive to let go BUT what about the vast bulk of the officers?

Do they get transfered to other cities to fill out LS police ranks there or, as LS lost a revenue stream from the Seattle Government, were there lay offs. this would make sense from a corporate point of view:
This would add to Seattle unemployment,sort of "You didn't want us? fine then we can add to your problems"
and create a larger number of people on the streets well versed in crime and strong arm tactics looknig for work. This could thicken the ranks of organized crime, possibly gangs and lower levels of the shadow community.
Kliko
They got a job with Knight-Errant?
Teryon
Or, like the guy I play, they become runners wink.gif
vladski
Perhaps they could organize together and create a new, much more limited, security force. A Seattle based corp that works for Seattle based businesses.

Or, you know, they could spend time working as a new underworld syndicate that gets its initial funding by raiding the weaker sisters already in the Underworld with insider knowledge.

Or perhaps they could become very specific Runners employed by KE to deal with things that KE doesnt want to publicly do.

Or, D. All of the above.

Vlad
Makki
QUOTE (Kliko @ Feb 1 2011, 03:20 PM) *

their area knowledge and connections are vital. sure KE will employ a decent percentage
Nath
Seattle 2072, page 194
At the same time, Lone Star went through massive lay-offs. Some of the higher-ups got transferred to other districts and jurisdictions, and some officers and lower-ranking personnel stayed-on to cover the company’s existing private contracts, including the metroplex prisons, but everyone expects more layoffs after the transition is complete. Knight Errant has hired some experienced Lone Star officers, but they are not taking Lone Star rank, position, or salary into account, and are requiring recertification and training to KE standards, which means going back to school for a lot of veteran street cops.

> Who are none too happy about it, let me tell you. Knight Errant has already had disciplinary incidents at their Academy with former Lone Star officers getting into fights with KE “regulars” and recruits. The ex-Stars have a serious grudge, but they’re also razzed by the regulars as “losers” and baited to try and start something.
> Riser

> The for-hire muscle-market in Seattle is being glutted with ex-Lone Star personnel, the ones who can’t or won’t move on to other jobs, refuse to work for KE, or just can’t get hired elsewhere. Now after years of busting shadowrunners, they’re on the other side looking for work. It can get pretty ugly, too. I know of at least one case of former Lone Stars hired essentially as cannon fodder for a run against Mitsuhama. Stories like that making the rounds have made everyone more cautious, but desperate times breed desperate people.
> Snopes
ProfGast
IIRC (afb) Lone Star also is still in control of the jails in Seattle. There's that one mention where KE doesn't mind because if the jails overflow/screw up they can point out how Lone Star really can't handle it.
Saint Sithney
All those dirty bastards on the take probably got a rude awakening when it turned out the mob didn't need them anymore.
My bet is that the ones who tried to apply for Ares citizenship and join KE are the dirtiest bullies of the bunch who just can't let go of that power. They can't stomach the idea of their neighborhoods with their snitches falling to some other skull-cracker with a public contract.
Chance359
I imagine a few former Star officers grabbed everything not nailed down (guns, ammo, vehicles, evidence, data) and ran off into the night. I'm pretty sure they aren't trusted by the shadow community, but they are a resource.
CanRay
Some might be new residents in the ACHE, having had their benefits, and possibly even their citizenship stripped from them, and running to the UCAS as "Refugees".
Yerameyahu
Didn't they all get murdered by runners and gangers?
CanRay
Some, sure. Not every one of them, however. Some are now 'Runners and Gangers themselves. (Of course, with "The Police" being the largest Street Gang in the world... Meh.).

Needless to say, Officer Friendly who used to hunt down 'Runner Team Zero and is now a member of them, well, probably isn't a member in good standing.
Warlordtheft
IIRC All the cases in progress and files were accidentally ereased. Under cover cops are now probably just changing careers to full time criminals or runners. And more than a few of these Lone Star undercover cops are still taking orders from San Antonio to cause KE trouble.

Added benefit to runners: KE is Ares, so all the other AAA have even more incentive to not cooperate or throw red tape at the Local LEO.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Thanks guys, esp. Nath for that all important line. I was thinknig that several thousand unemployed low level thugs might depress the shadow market prices as there are a lot more people out there willing to do a job for a few yen. Not the A flight guys but the grunt level thugs are now finding more competition for their work.
Yerameyahu
Doesn't that constitute 'murdering' the cops in a metaphysical sense? wink.gif
Ryu
KE would need to hire, and even if they are picky they are generating open slots in other corporations. They would judge LS experience against the benefit of starting fresh, so low-qualification officers would end up working for the lower-quality service providers, and better ones would end up with KE or solid competitors.

Those internal conflicts must be interesting time. If they put LS personell below their appropiate position, they should have a skill advantage. Want to get ahead as original KE? Better get rid of that noob.
Sengir
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Feb 1 2011, 10:47 PM) *
IIRC All the cases in progress and files were accidentally ereased. Under cover cops are now probably just changing careers to full time criminals or runners.

The final of The Departed on a grand scale...I think I just got a character idea, thank you wink.gif
CanRay
KE was well prepared to take over the market, and had constantly had an "Overstrength" level of "security guards" for Seattle. Not enough to put out a full police force, but better than starting from scratch.

Also, they'd have a lot of other places to transfer from as well. Ares is International, and as long as the person in question can speak English and/or Japanese...

Finally, Ares isn't as racist as Lone Star (Then again, HUMANIS is about the only group that is more racist than Lone Star), which means a lot of Metahumans that have been applying for police positions have finally found they have interview options open to them...
Fauxknight

This. When a company takes over a contract that is large enough to require more employees, it means the company that used to have the contract probably has exactly that many employees sitting around that they no longer require.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Feb 1 2011, 10:19 PM) *
This. When a company takes over a contract that is large enough to require more employees, it means the company that used to have the contract probably has exactly that many employees sitting around that they no longer require.

Except that there's an issue of citizenship. Lone Star Officers are citizens of the country of Lone Star Security. Knight Errant (A wholly-owned subsidiary of Ares) Officers are citizens of the country of Ares Macrotechnology.

First, they'd have to apply for the new citizenship, renounce their former citizenship, take loyalty tests and other fun things involving Trode Nets or DataJacks, and other such glorious things!

And then they get to be beat cops with no seniority whatsoever while some kid out of Ares-U gets to boss them around.

Oh, and I almost forgot: Looked upon with suspicion as they're "Not true Ares Employees". They weren't "Born to the Corporate Family" and such brainwashing...
imperialus
A lot of that depends on how you interpret corporate citizenship. I've always viewed actually being a corp citizen (regardless of the mega) as being limited to management level employees, for all the reasons you mentioned CanRay. It's just too much hassle to have every beat cop and desk jockey actually become a citizen, and neither LS or KE are large enough to have a massive pool of corporate citizens busy breeding new citizens. Far more likely that anyone under the rank of Captain is just a plain old UCAS citizen, or possibly an Ares citizen in the case of KE.

Ultimately the logic behind corporate citizenship (and even extraterritoriality for that matter) begins to break apart in some pretty interesting and bizarre ways if you look at it too closely. Far better IMO to just squint at it and either ignore it or handwave it into the plot if it makes sense for your game.
CanRay
Actually, is it even legal to have a Law Officer from one country arrest someone from another?

I really doubt the US would be too happy about a RCMP Officer driving across the border, even with permission, and arresting a US Citizen. It'd be more likely he'd stand beside the US Marshals as they arrest the suspect, and then take over the custody at the border/airport.
imperialus
Indeed. One of the big advantages runners have is the ability to leave an extraterritorial enclave and disappear into the larger sprawl. The corp can't pursue them beyond their 'boarders' and you have to question how motivated the local government law enforcement agencies are in actually pursuing heavily armed and highly skilled operatives who just shot up a AAA's facility. After all if a Red Samurai detachment couldn't stop them what chance does an HTRT have? Nevermind the hassle that the justice system would have to go through to actually extradite them to the corp.

If your runners are savvy enough, they can really game the balkanization of the UCAS to their advantage.
CanRay
A trip over the Metroplex wall and into the Cascade Ork lands, and you're untouchable. The UCAS and the NAN have never got along nicely, as long as your 'Runners haven't done anything that would piss off the NAN, you're pretty close to golden.

IIRC, however, I believe there is a "Hot Pursuit" agreement between some countries (Canada and the US, perhaps) that allows for each others law officers to pursue a suspect that jumps the border in certain circumstances. (Although, I might be thinking Counties instead of Countries.). However, for the most part, we're back to the RCMP/US Marshals exchange again.

As for running from the CAS into Aztlan...

Um, wait, why are you running INTO Aztlan?
Blade
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2011, 07:52 AM) *
A trip over the Metroplex wall and into the Cascade Ork lands, and you're untouchable. The UCAS and the NAN have never got along nicely, as long as your 'Runners haven't done anything that would piss off the NAN, you're pretty close to golden.

IIRC, however, I believe there is a "Hot Pursuit" agreement between some countries (Canada and the US, perhaps) that allows for each others law officers to pursue a suspect that jumps the border in certain circumstances. (Although, I might be thinking Counties instead of Countries.). However, for the most part, we're back to the RCMP/US Marshals exchange again.

As for running from the CAS into Aztlan...

Today, 'Hot Pursuit' is accepted in international law, as far as something as international law exists. This means that most countries will probably tolerate a cop car chasing a suspect across the border, except in really tense situations (war/cold-war). Only countries with good relationship will accept large-scale deployments. But in most cases, the "invaded" country knows better than to start a war just because of this. So if you stole something really important from Aztechnology and try to escape into the CAS (when they're not at war), Aztechnology might try to push its luck knowing that the CAS won't do more than protest.
But if the local police joins, the foreign police should stop its chase.

And even once you're outside the country you're not necessarily out of trouble, even if you're in a country that hates the other one. The CAS will welcome Aztlan dissidents, but if you're just a dangerous criminal they won't want you in their country any more than Aztlan does.
Mardrax
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2011, 08:52 AM) *

Because they're my brothers in blo... I mean, because no one would expect me to. And they're friendly. AZT gives me food, you know. And if someone gives me food, they [b]have/b] to be the good guys.
Kagetenshi

QUOTE (Lone Star Sourcebook p97)
Lone Star employment contracts contain some of the most draconian anticompetition clauses ever written. According to the letter of these clauses, any Lone Star employee who leaves the corporation may not work for a corporation that "directly, indirectly, or substantively competes with LSSS" for four years. Lone Star's legal department has a vested interest in defining its "competition" as broadly as possible, of course. Strictly speaking, anyone who leaves the Lone Star fold, from a staff sergeant to a data processing clerk to a senior VP, may not work for any corporation that even uses a security department for four years.

That represents the theory. Practically, of course, even Lone Star finds it difficult, if not impossible, to enforce these conditions. Lone Star employment contracts are executed, and thus considered valid, in the national jurisdiction of the country in which the corp is currently operating and in the corporate jurisdiction of LSSS Inc. itself. Like any other contract, other extraterritorial corporations generally do not consider Lone Star contracts valid within their corporate jurisdiction.

So there's precisely no chance whatsoever that KE hired any former Lone Star personnel beat cops for their Seattle contract, nor that anyone else hired them for non-extraterritorial work.

~J
Fauxknight
other extraterritorial corporations generally do not consider Lone Star contracts valid within their corporate jurisdiction.

Lone Star still has to trim thier crew and KE has to pick some up. Its going to happen.
Mardrax
Plenty of penpushers and other on-site staff may have been transferred to work in the shiny new KE offices. I don't think Ares applies too much meaning to LS contract requirements, and good luck getting the extradition treaties signed and sueing them for breach of contract when on another nation's soil.
LS suspending ex-employees' SINs for this would result in a PR disaster KE would gladly work.
Sengir
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2011, 01:45 PM) *
So there's precisely no chance whatsoever that KE hired any former Lone Star personnel for their Seattle contract, nor that anyone else hired them for non-extraterritorial work.

I'm pretty sure Ares is more than willing to ligitate against this minor technicality, to cherry-pick useful employees and to screw over LS once more. It violates our god-given right to free trade and the plaintiff no longer is a competitor for bludgeoning law enforcment services in the Seattle Metroplex, yadda yadda. wink.gif
Yerameyahu
Kagetenshi, you didn't even read your own quote: "Practically, of course, even Lone Star finds it difficult, if not impossible, to enforce these conditions." smile.gif
Mäx
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2011, 02:45 PM) *
So there's precisely no chance whatsoever that KE hired any former Lone Star personnel for their Seattle contract, nor that anyone else hired them for non-extraterritorial work.

You should really read what you quoted again, as it's says the exact opposite of what you did wink.gif
nylanfs
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Feb 2 2011, 07:45 AM) *

~J

Plus those clauses only apply to the employee's leaving the company, not getting fired. smile.gif
Mardrax
QUOTE (nylanfs @ Feb 2 2011, 04:07 PM) *
Plus those clauses only apply to the employee's leaving the company, not getting fired. smile.gif

Leaving is not by definition a voluntary action. If you're fired, you leave a company as much as when you quit.
ProfGast
For the record, here's a few MORE relevant quotes, with some bolding emphasis from me
QUOTE (Seattle 2072 @ p12)
> Another thing they don’t mention is that Lone Star is still active in the me-
troplex
, but largely banished to the Barrens and some small fiefdoms (and
oh so bitter about it). See my commentary there and in the Corporations
section of the document for more.
> Hard Exit

QUOTE (Seattle 2072 @ p161)
Of course, no discussion of Ares in Seattle would be complete without talking about Knight Errant, their security services subsidiary. The Knights only recently moved to the top-slot of security service contractors in the metroplex, taking the spot formerly held by Lone Star Security Services. This meant a major increase in the size of their Seattle operation in a fairly short period of time. Fortunately, KE had been planning for the day they would take over in Seattle, and their training academy has been working overtime to turn out new officers. As a stopgap they’ve hired a lot of contract workers, including quite a few former Lone Star employees, but they’re requiring anyone who wants a permanent job to go through academy training.

QUOTE (Seattle 2072 @ p169)
As it happens, taking care of prisons is the main thing Lone
Star still does in Seattle. The company retains its contract to run
the metroplex-controlled prisons, which is separate from their
security and enforcement contract. Lone Star also still has some
private security contracts in Seattle
, although they are fighting
to hold on to them following the gut-punch of their dismissal by
Governor Brackhaven.

QUOTE (Seattle 2072 @ p195)
> Don’t completely count Lone Star out in Seattle yet. Keep in mind that they
did retain one significant chunk of their old law enforcement contract: they
still manage the metroplex prisons. The ‘Star has always had a more stronger
division of corrections than Knight Errant, which has always relied on sub-con-
tractors or partnerships
to deal with prison administration. Some see leaving
Lone Star with prison-duty as a kind of punishment, but prisons are where a
lot of the money is in law enforcement, and Knight Errant’s new law and order
crusade promises to fill them up and bring in even more prisoner stipends, a
cut of which goes right into Lone Star’s account.
> Danger Sensei
CanRay
One thing I remember reading (Can't remember where) was that Lone Star also owned Parkades. Which means that if KE wants to search a vehicle in one, they'd have to get permission to go on Lone Star Territory to do so.

Lone Star used it to get around needing search warrants to search automobiles parked in their Parkades, as they're not in the UCAS, and thus not protected under the same laws, and, of course, it's good business.

I can see a really bitter Lone Star Beat Officer made Collection Booth Guy that would really help 'Runners with making sure their vehicles are never searched for a bribe. Especially if they have a decent enough Rep.
kzt
Luckily the courts don't care how "civic-minded private citizens" come by evidence that get's turned over to the courts. Somehow I don't see UCAS in the 6th world as enhancing the exclusionary rule. Heck, the courts right now don't care exactly how it is suspects were found and produced.
Ryu
For the higher-end jobs, training alone could take four years. So the recruits go to academy on their own cost, receiving work contracts starting in four years with a generous welcome payment. Sponsorships for exceptional students would also be par for the course.
Sengir
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2011, 05:14 PM) *
One thing I remember reading (Can't remember where) was that Lone Star also owned Parkades.

Not every building owned by an corp subsidary is extraterritorial (board search should yield some book quotes, it's been discussed a couple of times) wink.gif

And logically there has to be some sort of incentive NOT to make something extraterritorial. If it was so easy to skip estate taxes and fire regulations, every piece of Seattle would be non-UCAS territory by now...
CanRay
QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 2 2011, 03:53 PM) *
Not every building owned by an corp subsidary is extraterritorial (board search should yield some book quotes, it's been discussed a couple of times) wink.gif

And logically there has to be some sort of incentive NOT to make something extraterritorial. If it was so easy to skip estate taxes and fire regulations, every piece of Seattle would be non-UCAS territory by now...

I know about the extraterritorial clauses (Has to be a designated area that's clearly marked as owned by a AA- or AAA-Level Corporation. Has to have a wall, a hedge or other such structure counts, and so on.).

In this case, I remember they advertised "Lone Star Parking" to make it extraterritorial.
kzt
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2011, 01:38 PM) *
In this case, I remember they advertised "Lone Star Parking" to make it extraterritorial.

That's what I want, a place where if my car is stolen or vandalized or has evidence planted in it I can't sue the company responsible. Great selling point!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Feb 2 2011, 08:10 AM) *
Lone Star still has to trim thier crew and KE has to pick some up. Its going to happen.

And put them where? When they hit the Seattle streets they need to pick themselves up for felony interference with employment contract.

QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 2 2011, 08:19 AM) *
I'm pretty sure Ares is more than willing to ligitate against this minor technicality, to cherry-pick useful employees and to screw over LS once more. It violates our god-given right to free trade and the plaintiff no longer is a competitor for bludgeoning law enforcment services in the Seattle Metroplex, yadda yadda. wink.gif

Have you looked at how much Lone Star cops got paid? I'll give you a hint, they could not afford a Middle lifestyle out of their salary—this is not top talent worth fighting for. Though I guess I did say "personnel", that was sloppy (no, actually, simply wrong—I've fixed it).

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 2 2011, 08:31 AM) *
Kagetenshi, you didn't even read your own quote: "Practically, of course, even Lone Star finds it difficult, if not impossible, to enforce these conditions." smile.gif

QUOTE (Mäx @ Feb 2 2011, 08:53 AM) *
You should really read what you quoted again, as it's says the exact opposite of what you did wink.gif

There certainly is a reading comprehension problem around here wink.gif "These conditions" are keeping anyone who held any position whatsoever from working in any position at any corporation that has a security department. It doesn't suggest any sort of trouble preventing going to work at another security company.

QUOTE (nylanfs @ Feb 2 2011, 09:07 AM) *

You have an admirable, if mystifying, amount of faith in Shadowrun-era worker's rights.

~J
CanRay
QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 2 2011, 07:45 PM) *
That's what I want, a place where if my car is stolen or vandalized or has evidence planted in it I can't sue the company responsible. Great selling point!

The flip-side is that it's a place that's secured by "THE POLICE!", which Lone Star has relentlessly used PR to make Seattle (And their other contractees) view them as. It's more a matter of, "I know my car is safe with Lone Star! If it's broken into, they'll find the criminals responsible and prosecute them to the fullest extent of their law!" *Shows a Lone Star Officer with a heavily beaten Ork Ganger in the Background* "Thank you, Lone Star, for making me safe!"

Remember, Shadowrunners and ShadowTalkers on the Black BBSes/Forums know this is how the world works, John Q. Wageslave thinks quite differently.

Aztechnology grows them good, wholesome food. Ares is as American as Apple Pie and Firearms. Evo is providing services/material for the various "Special Needs" Metahumans to bring peace in our time. That sort of thing.

S-K being the exception. Nothing makes a Great Dragon Fluffy, even Dunkie had an uphill battle in getting elected President, and lost out to a raging racist by only a few percentage points.
Ascalaphus
But then, S-K is only openly active in high finance and heavy industry, not in end-consumer products. That's what innocent-looking subsidiaries are for.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 1 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Finally, Ares isn't as racist as Lone Star (Then again, HUMANIS is about the only group that is more racist than Lone Star), which means a lot of Metahumans that have been applying for police positions have finally found they have interview options open to them...

You might be confusing LS with the Metroplex Guard? I know the Army stationed at Seattle was notoriously racist, but I recall LS being functionally racist. IOW, they'd regularly hire Orks and Trolls for brute-squad positions, but wouldn't give them any positions of authority.
CanRay
Wasn't so sure on the "Regularly" part myself, so I showed them off as racist when I GMed. Trolls and Orks were Point Men on HRT and SWAT as "Meat Shields" for example, and often in the "Riot Squad", the most hated unit around, but rarely in any other position. I was a bit more lenient for Elves, but Dwarves were also given a hard time (Hard to catch perps when you're half their height. Stupid stubby legs.). But that was my read, that's all.

The Metroplex Guard, if I were to ever run them, would be like the US Army in the South Park movie, "Operation: Hide behind the Trogs".
Grinder
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 2 2011, 06:07 AM) *
Except that there's an issue of citizenship. Lone Star Officers are citizens of the country of Lone Star Security. Knight Errant (A wholly-owned subsidiary of Ares) Officers are citizens of the country of Ares Macrotechnology.

Iirc only AAA-level corps can hand out citizenship. Ares is one, but LS isn't, so there won't be any Lone Star citizens.
Kagetenshi
I'm pretty sure every extraterritorial corp, or every AA-and-up by definition, can hand out citizenship.

Edit: as evidence, Corporate Download talks about the large number of corporate citizens the Big Ten have, implying that they're not the only ones that have them.

~J
Grinder
Oh the confusing topic of extraterritorial questions. grinbig.gif Does LS have extraterritorial status?
Brazilian_Shinobi
If they are a AA corp, the yes. Yes, they have. I'm not with my copy of corporate download right now, but I think Lone Star is not a AA corp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012