Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need an Adept Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Shockwave_IIc
Thats right folks, i can't find enough powers for a character idea (See Strange things do happen).

So far i have
lvl 4 Improved Athletics
lvl 4 Great Leap
lvl 4 FreeFall
lvl 4 Mystic armour (helps with falls, besides he can fight in hth)
Costing 5 points.

So ok, the idea is that he doesn't know he's an adept, he puts alot of what he can do down to being on an arenalin rush (from his music) and the cyber he has (hence no lvl 6 athletics). The only thing that is a little high is his freefall. I was wanting a Running power, but no such thing exsist frown.gif .

I'm wanting to stay away from pure combat powers..

I could just lose the point but i was hoping for other ideas...
Backgammon
Geasa the whole lot (geasa: listening to music) and buy boosted reflexes lv1
Fahr
Improved Physical Attribute -> quickness at 2 levels...

or
Imp. sense: direction sense - works for a distance runner...
pain resistance -> runners hurt themselves sometimes when they run... would make sense if he wants to keep going after an injury... also matches with his Adrenaline beliefs...

or
maybe temperature tolerance... for those Manhattan winter marathos wink.gif

-Mike R
spotlite
What about combat sense? If it only works when he's 'rushing' it would make perfect sense, as he becomes more aware of his surroundings etc.
Kagetenshi
Traceless Walk and L2 Imp. Stealth.

~J
Grey
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

Thats what I would go with.
Fahr
while I don't disagree with the usefulness of those powers...

they don't sound like something a regular athlete or marathon or distance runner would have... why would he need to be sealthy, or walk without trace in a marathon...

that was why I didn't point those out...

-Mike R.
Kagetenshi
Traceless Walk would be invaluable for a long-distance runner. Mud can be really nasty on some routes.

As for stealth, it's a power that, while it doesn't exactly go with the concept, also doesn't go against it, which was better that I could say for anything else I could come up with.

~J
Rev
Yea, improved quickness is the running power. You could likely get a gm to agree to a cheaper limited version of it for fewer points though. Improved running (+1q for running, 0.25 power points).

Of course by the rules I think it is pretty much imposible to run a marathon. smile.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Improved Attribute: Body 2 for the endurance tests you'll need to make, or Boosted Attribute: Quickness 4 for a quick burst of speed for sprinting.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Grey @ Mar 19 2004, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 19 2004, 12:25 PM)

~J

Thats what I would go with.

Would like but it doesn't quite fit.

I also thought combat sense as well, just a little too combat based. The pain resistance i also thought of but desided on high pain tolerance at 2 lvl vs stun.

And although improved quickness would make him run faster, due to toner his quickness is 7 as is.

But Kage keep that up you might just convince me.

Side note: A Le Parkour style Athlete.

[EDIT] Imp Balance...
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Improved Attribute: Body 2 for the endurance tests you'll need to make, or Boosted Attribute: Quickness 4 for a quick burst of speed for sprinting.

Actually that fatigue test use's atheltics....

Jason Farlander
I've always thought there should be an enhanced running ability (and no, improved quickness is not improved running in the same way that its not great leap). Perhaps you could do it the exact same way that great leap works, except apply it to running tests (.25 per level, +1 die/+1Quickness for running tests per level). It ends up being somewhat bland and less useful for the cost than great leap is, IMO.

A more unique approach I've been toying with making available to players is this: .5 per level, +1 die/+1 running multiplier per level. Thoughts?
A Clockwork Lime
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Mar 19 2004, 02:49 PM)
Actually that fatigue test use's atheltics....

...which you have to make every (one-half Body, rounded up) Turns. Thus Body +2 gives you an extra Turn between each test.
Crimson Jack
If your character is great in hth, I would invest in Counter Strike. That's just plain nasty when some poor slot tries to put one on your chin and you return with a deadly volley of fists everytime. That power is great.
Shockwave_IIc
Well he's got unarmed 6 and polearms 6 (wanted Kung-fu but alas im well tight on skill points.. frown.gif ) But i might drop them down a bit.
Crimson Jack
If you're going to take Unarmed at 6, you should max out Counter Strike. Have him goad people into taking a swing at him. You should clean their clocks more times than not.
Drain Brain
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
So ok, the idea is that he doesn't know he's an adept, he puts alot of what he can do down to being on an arenalin rush (from his music) and the cyber he has (hence no lvl 6 athletics). The only thing that is a little high is his freefall. I was wanting a Running power, but no such thing exsist frown.gif .

Excuse me if I'm being a retard or something, but even if he only has a little in the way of cyber (and assuming he's a starting character) then his maximum potential magic attribute would be 5, neh? And that's what you've spent (according to your first post - I don't have the books handy to check the math).
Shockwave_IIc
Geas'd...

Or will be.
Drain Brain
Ah right - the music thing in the other thread - DNI walkman! I see where you're going (and you'll probably meet the duracell bunny when you get there) but I was always of the impression that a Geas was something you submitted yourself to - something intentional. I wouldn't really apply it to a character who didn't know he was an adept. Could be just me though - that's a point for individual interpretation.
Large Mike

A geas is an even better idea when it's unintentional, in my opinion, because it reflects the way that a) the character thinks about magic or b) what really gets their motor running.

btw, I would recommend mystic armor, because most people have a fairly good idea of how high they can jump or how much a given fall is going to hurt, but most people think they're tougher than they actually are, and so mystic armor wouldn't strike the curious-bone quite as hard.
fionn
I know this is slightly off topic, but what are the rules for jumping, I lost my SR COmp. I think its silly that they weren;t in the SR core.
fionn
Forget having a chip player Dni for the music. Stream it off the matrix wirelessly
Nikoli
Sota '64. has an improved running ability, adds 1 to the Quick for puposes for determining run speed, works with athletics. Oh, and gliding is what gets you across mud, not traceless walk. TW just means the poor slob behind you won't know you lost a show in the goop.
Apathy
Depending on the interpretation of how Traceless Walk works, it might reduce the pounding abuse that runner's feet take.
Nikoli
Now, that's a possibility. but, this is cinema style gaming, where the hero cna knock someone back with a rifle slug and do other impossible feats. Shin-splints and other runner's concerns don't factor into the system, other than a way to describe stun condition
Kagetenshi
Anyone can cause someone to fall down with a rifle slug in real life.

~J
Apathy
Now, that's a possibility. but, this is cinema style gaming, where the hero cna knock someone back with a rifle slug and do other impossible feats. Shin-splints and other runner's concerns don't factor into the system, other than a way to describe stun condition

But he's a [long distance] runner who magic has subconciously evolved to support his running ability. If you're looking for a reason to justify the magic manifesting this way, this could be the excuse.

Now, once this guy has to start running the shadows, he can discover that all those years practicing stepping lightly can be applied in other ways.
Shockwave_IIc
Wow! Talk about thread Necromancy!!

Apathy
Hehe, I didn't even look at the original timestamp. Guess we were a little late on that one. embarrassed.gif
mfb
edit: crap, beaten by Nikoli.
Quix
Anyone can cause someone to fall down with a rifle slug in real life.

Actually most of need the rifle too. He just said rifle slugg grinbig.gif

How do I get Kage's name to appear by the quote?
Kagetenshi
Well, my point is that while the rules do suggest that the devs may have been seeing people flying backwards with transferred momentum, that's not what's actually written—failing a knockdown test, despite its name, involves falling to the ground, while succeeding by too few successes results in staggering backwards. I would daresay that both are quite plausible effects for gunshot wounds.

As for attributing quotes, either use the board's quote function or, instead of <quote>, use <quote=personWhoYouAreQuoting>. For timestamps, use <quote=personWhoYouAreQuoting, timeAtWhichTheyPosted>.

Obviously, change angle brackets to square brackets and close when you're finished with 'em.

QUOTE (Me)
Example 1

QUOTE (Me @ 10:12:30 PM July 13 2005)
Example 2

CODE
[quote=Me]Example 1[/quote]
[quote=Me, 10:12:30 PM July 13 2005]Example 2[/quote]

~J
ElFenrir
Heh, I've been going thru the same thing with an adept...trying to use up the last .5 points. No geasa though. But i am for the traceless walk version if you want stealth, but Sixth Sense seems to be a decent power. Or some senses heightening maybe.

I love the idea of a musical geas. It reminds me of cinema, when the good guy is getting a buttkicking, and then someone goes and presses play on the techno music cd. Good guy then wins grinbig.gif
Critias
OMG LOL ROFLMAO!! Or like when Blade puts his sunglasses on, and you know he's about to hardcore totally kick the bad guys ass!!!!11!!eleven
toturi
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Sota '64. has an improved running ability, adds 1 to the Quick for puposes for determining run speed, works with athletics.

Sprint.
Critias
To be honest (whoever it was that was making this character) I can see swapping out a few of the .25/cost powers in order to squeeze in a few .25/cost Sprint levels -- and spending that 1.0 left over on Wall Running.

Seems like it'd make for a fairly strongly themed (and capable!) athletics-fuelled Adept.
weblife
Vision Mag. 3 0,25 - Eliminates range modifiers for your character, all weapons, all the time.

Balance Augmentation, -2 to all TN's where balance is crucial, its an ear modification, thus a sense, thus cost is 0,25.

Quickdraw, 0,5 points, lets your draw, prime and throw grenades as 1 Simple action. Or fire your bow twice pr. Init. Pass (as opposed to spending a Simple to reload and only shooting once each pass)

With quickdraw an Adept can toss 4 grenades in one initiative pass, he takes a +2 to hit TN, but if he's got Centering on Throwing, then he can use it to wind it down.

Its a nice "Oh my GAWD we're dead! We're DOOMED!! Let it rip!!" option. cool.gif
Zeel De Mort
None of these are very useful for a (literal) runner, but still... good powers I guess!

The 4x grenades effect can also be achieved with an MGL-6 in each hand. They qualify for normal quick-drawing (i.e. without the adept power), so you can have two holstered and then whip them out as needed, assuming your hands are free. Add on all the rangefinder/grenade link bits and pieces and you can even have all four grenades go off in the same pass you launch them. Less scatter too. smile.gif

Four IPE offensive mini grenades aren't really much fun to resist, particularly in an enclosed space.
Critias
QUOTE (weblife)
Balance Augmentation, -2 to all TN's where balance is crucial, its an ear modification, thus a sense, thus cost is 0,25.

Or, rather, it costs .5 power points per level, and isn't an ear modification or a sense. And it's called Enhanced Balance, and is on p. 65 of Sota: '64.
Edge2054
Enhanced Balance would make sense for a runner (as in some one that runs alot).

Someone shoots you with a gel round and you just keep on trekkin'.
Kagetenshi
Most runners don't get shot with gel rounds…

2050s Extreme Running? wink.gif

~J
SL James
QUOTE (Critias)
OMG LOL ROFLMAO!! Or like when Blade puts his sunglasses on, and you know he's about to hardcore totally kick the bad guys ass!!!!11!!eleven

That could be a cool centering technique, actually.
Edge2054
*busts up laughing*

mfb
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 14 2005, 04:30 AM)
OMG LOL ROFLMAO!!  Or like when Blade puts his sunglasses on, and you know he's about to hardcore totally kick the bad guys ass!!!!11!!eleven

i'll kill you both.
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Critias)
To be honest (whoever it was that was making this character) I can see swapping out a few of the .25/cost powers in order to squeeze in a few .25/cost Sprint levels -- and spending that 1.0 left over on Wall Running.

Seems like it'd make for a fairly strongly themed (and capable!) athletics-fuelled Adept.

Thanks for that Critias, alas the book wasn't out at the time, and now it's abit late. However, if i was to redo the power list, 1 Lvl off of Both Great Leap and Free Fall, to be spent on Sprint. 1 Point for Wall Running.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 14 2005, 02:56 PM)
OMG LOL ROFLMAO!!  Or like when Blade puts his sunglasses on, and you know he's about to hardcore totally kick the bad guys ass!!!!11!!eleven

i'll kill you both.

What did I do?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 14 2005, 04:08 PM)

i'll kill you both.

What did I do?
Critias
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 14 2005, 05:08 PM)

i'll kill you both.

You won't be killing much at all if we take away your sunglasses, Mr. Snipes !!
weblife
PreSOTA 64, Balance Augmentation was thought of as a sensory improvement of the inner ear. But if there's a Power in that book, thats more expensive yet emulates the ability, then its obvious that FanPro found it too powerful as a sense.

I'll remember that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012