Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increasing magic?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
stu_pie
Hi

Im pretty new to Shadowrun, but after a few runs with a pre-made runner I decided to branch out and made an adept (who specs in unarmed combat n kickass-ary) want as many adept powers as possable so gave him 6magic, only problem is now to increase his adept power is going to cost alot of karma (initiation then raising the stat). Is there a way of getting more adept powers without blowing 10 runs worth of karma? (our GM is tight with Karma)
Doc Byte
There's an optional rule that allows to trade a metamagic power for one power point. But I don't know in which Street Magic print run you can find it.
Makki
the first thing you want to look at is the above mentioned Initiation, where you may choose a powerpoint instead of a metamagic technique. But it's not in the first printing afaik.
you can also discuss with your GM about putting a/more geas(a) on your abilities (SM p.31)
Slide7X
QUOTE (Doc Byte @ Feb 20 2011, 09:04 PM) *
There's an optional rule that allows to trade a metamagic power for one power point. But I don't know in which Street Magic print run you can find it.

It's in the Catalyst printing. The one book with the red cover.
The blue cover is the old FanPro version.

The difference is the Red one includes the errata.

The rule your looking for was first in SR3s Magic in the Shadows.
Then it was written into 4th edition in the errata.

I'd post a link to the errata on the official site, but they changed the official site (OMFG, I know grinbig.gif)
and now I can't find it. wobble.gif

EDIT

D'oh found it http://www.shadowrun4.com/wp-content/uploa...errata_v141.pdf

On the first page.

p. 31 Tweaking the Rules
Add the following Tweak:
“Adep. Initiation. Group. may consider allowing adepts to gain
1 Power Point instead of a Metamagic at Initiation.”
Muspellsheimr
QUOTE (Street Magic Errata)
p. 31 Tweaking the Rules
Add the following Tweak:
“Adept Initiation. Groups may consider allowing adepts
to gain 1 Power Point instead of a Metamagic at Initiation.”

Also, you should speak with your GM. The players should be receiving 6-8 Karma each run, assuming the typical run lasts for one gaming session. I would not play in a game that awards an average of 3-5 Karma per session or less; advancement is nearly non-existent & it becomes far to easy to unbalance mundane vs. awakened.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Feb 20 2011, 09:25 PM) *
Also, you should speak with your GM. The players should be receiving 6-8 Karma each run, assuming the typical run lasts for one gaming session. I would not play in a game that awards an average of 3-5 Karma per session or less; advancement is nearly non-existent & it becomes far to easy to unbalance mundane vs. awakened.

This is a fantastic point.

Karma rewards changed between 4th and Anniversary. If you're using 4A costs, you need to use 4A rewards, or things get messy and players get frustrated.

I think its been a problem in some of the early Missions releases, actually, but i might be wrong.
Neraph
Now aside from simply raising your Magic rating and initiating normally... Have you looked into some other things?

1) Special Infected - those with Essence Drain. You can use it to boost your Magic for 12 hours. (Runner's Companion, pages 76-83)
2) Magic Pact. 1/day for a handfull of CT you can boost your Magic. (Street Magic, pages 26 and 108)
3) Infusion - Kaoken from DBZ. (Street Magic, page 61)
Lantzer
One thing to look at is how tight the GM is with cash. If he's tight with both cash and karma, he's just running a game where he doesn't want the powerlevel to creep up too fast. for whatever reason. Best thing to do - have an honest discussion with the GM. You may find you agree with his reasons, you may get your rewards upped, you may be dissapointed, or you may find yourself looking for a better GM. Any way it comes out, it's a good idea.

I'll admit that when I'm running, I'm always uneasy about my balance of cash and karma rewards. It's hard to do, and I've done it badly sometimes. Especially since different characters need a different mix of the two to improve. So an adept may feel flush with cash, while the sammie is considering organlegging for 'ware upgrades. And the adept may feel karma-strapped while the sammie is using his karma to up his Knowledge: Toy Poodles of North Redmond.

I think some form of cash-to-karma and karma-to-cash is useful, if monitored carefully by the GM. One thing to note, is that cash can come and go, but karma only builds - which is why your GM might be tight with karma.
Slide7X
Special Infected?

The OP said he was new to SR.

You shouldn't open that evil, essence draining, GM offending, WTF? can of spiteful worms on the poor guy. grinbig.gif
stu_pie
QUOTE (Slide7X @ Feb 21 2011, 04:58 PM) *
Special Infected?

You shouldn't open that evil, essence draining, GM offending, WTF? can of spiteful worms on the poor guy. grinbig.gif

Yeah I had a look at specail infected, think our poor GM would die trying to get to grips with those rules, maybe next character smile.gif

Cheers for all the advice though...more PP here i come smile.gif
CanRay
NERPS for magic?
Neraph
QUOTE (Slide7X @ Feb 21 2011, 10:58 AM) *
Special Infected?

I like a 400 BP Vampire Adept having 11 Magic. It makes things interesting.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 24 2011, 11:12 AM) *
I like a 400 BP Vampire Adept having 11 Magic. It makes things interesting.

Based on my observation of your posts over the last couple years, your idea of interesting is likely to give most GMs heartburn and cause unrest among the players. This is not a personal attack, this is a warning to someone not familiar with your munchkin fantasies that they should take your advice with a metric ton of salt.
Neraph
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Feb 24 2011, 11:22 AM) *
Based on my observation of your posts over the last couple years, your idea of interesting is likely to give most GMs heartburn and cause unrest among the players. This is not a personal attack, this is a warning to someone not familiar with your munchkin fantasies RAW creations that they should take your advice with a metric ton of salt.

Fixed it for you. And I'm flattered about the first part.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Feb 24 2011, 11:23 AM) *
Fixed it for you. And I'm flattered about the first part.

The fact that they are indeed RAW does not make them any less of a Munchkin Fantasy... biggrin.gif
Though I have to admire some of them, to be sure.
CanRay
The Accountant from Hell is RAW, and he isn't Munchkiny in any way, shape, or form.

OK, his heavily customized AK-97 maybe, but that's not an everyday use item like other customized weapons would be.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012