Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on Riggers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AK404
I think I've asked this question before, but I've been wanting to start up a rigger character who can cover all the bases - driving, drones, CCSS - without going completely overboard with the cyber and equipment lists. For example, I came up with a RCD that ended up looking like this:

Remote Control Deck-5
Remote Control ECCM-5
Remote Control Encryption Module-5
Rigger Decryption Module-5
Rigger Protocol Emulation Module-4
A/V Display
Intercom Speaker
Signal Amplifier-6
Storage Memory: 500Mp

which seems a bit extraneous for me, but then again, exactly how much storage memory am I gonna need to run drones anyway? Also, with the BattleTac and Autosoft programs, say I buy the programs: do I have to buy the program for every single drone that I want to implement these things or could I just make second-hand copies from the originals (as mentioned in the BBB)?

Anyway, let's go on. In R2, there was a blurb about riggers with encephalons not needing skillwires if they wanting to use Vehicle skillsofts to drive vehicles because of the way the cyber interacted with the VCR. I can find no mention of this rule in R3, so I was wondering if it could be grandfathered or if the rule was completely overwritten in favor of something else (and if so, where). But while we're on cyber, the rigger I've got planned out has:

Cranial Remote Control Deck-2
Cybereyes [flare compensation, image link, low-light]
Dampener
Datajack [knowsoft link]
Datajack [rigger jack]
Encephalon-1
Math SPU-2
Smartlink-2 (a)
Vehicle Control Rig-2 (a)

And I'm still not sure about the Math SPU, cybereyes or dampener. Now onto vehicles and drones because I know I asked this before. I wanted to hook this girl with either the Westwind 2000T or a Nightsky and was wondering what you guys liked to customize these bad boys up with. Also, in addition to the Condor, I was wondering what drones you guys liked starting off with since I can only think of them in terms of recon and combat. So far, I'm thinking two Condors, maybe a MCT Rotodrone or two, Wajinda, and a Steel Lynx. For the Lynx, I'm thinking:

Steel Lynx Drone [3 CF: improved suspension-1, recoil adjuster-6, sensor-2] Ingram Valiant LMG [smartlink-2, converted] 300 rounds belted regular ammunition

(And I've lost the plans I had for the other drones, though I'm thinking of leaving the recon drones stock.) Suggestions? I mean, I doubt I'd ever use the SL for anything but all-drek situations, but when I do, I want something that can kick ass right out of the box so I can not worry about it for a while while I concentrate on the really cool stuff.

Or am I asking the wrong questions...?
Zeel De Mort
Well, I'm really no expert on riggers, but as far as the cyberwre... maybe you'd want a VCR in there? biggrin.gif I assume you just forgot to write that in, or left it out cos every rigger has one. I know people say VCR2 is the most effcient by far, and it's maybe true, but if I was making a serious rigger (which I've never done) I'd definately get VCR3.

Otherwise... Encephalon 2 would be good (drop the SPU math if necesary), and a Cerebral Booster 2 while you're at it. Max out that Task Pool and intelligence.

AK404
VCR's already in there. Not going for cultured bioware.
Modesitt
Remote Control Deck-5
Remote Control ECCM-5
Remote Control Encryption Module-5
Rigger Decryption Module-5
Rigger Protocol Emulation Module-4
A/V Display
Intercom Speaker
Signal Amplifier-6
Storage Memory: 500Mp

Your RCD's rating may be a double-edged sword of sorts, but I believe it to be best to have it be as high as possible because of how dangerous MIJI attacks are. Unless, of course, your GM doesn't have a clue how MIJI works, in which case go as low as you can.

Storage memory - Well, that depends on whether you use pre-programmed commands. If you do, you'll want at least 2K of memory. If you don't, what you have will do.

Also, with the BattleTac and Autosoft programs, say I buy the programs: do I have to buy the program for every single drone that I want to implement these things or could I just make second-hand copies from the originals (as mentioned in the BBB)?

I would treat your deck, for this purpose only, as if it were a skillsoft jukebox. It takes a simple action to load the chip into memory, then a free action to activate or deactive it for each drone and yes each drone needs an autosoft interpreter installed. To run the autosoft from your deck, you need as much memory as the program takes up. Multiple autosofts memory costs stack, etc. You can have as many plugged in as you decide to plug into electronics ports, but the usual rules for how many can actually affect a drone still apply(Drones can't handle an autosoft of greater rating than their pilot, total of all autosofts affecting the drone can't add up to more than twice its pilot). However, you can directly put autosofts into drones also. For simplicity, I'd probably just assume the skillsoft interpreter hardware installed in drones can have an infinite number of autosofts. I'd prefer that it like a multi-slot chipjack and comes standard with 4 electronics ports that can only be used for autosofts, but there's no stated limit in the rules on how many can be installed, only in use at once.

I've no clue how much of that would be house rules and how much would be cannon. It looks pretty good on paper though, I might have borrowed a little too heavily from the activesoft rules though.

Anyway, let's go on. In R2, there was a blurb about riggers with encephalons not needing skillwires if they wanting to use Vehicle skillsofts to drive vehicles because of the way the cyber interacted with the VCR. I can find no mention of this rule in R3, so I was wondering if it could be grandfathered or if the rule was completely overwritten in favor of something else (and if so, where).

Nope. Nothing like that at all. In fact, skillwires are explicitly stated in R3(pg 27) to be incompatible with VCRs. You can have them both, but they don't work simultaneously with each other. You can still drive a car by datajack or manually and use activesofts though.

ut while we're on cyber, the rigger I've got planned out has:

Cybereyes [flare compensation, image link, low-light]
Dampener
Datajack [knowsoft link]
Datajack [rigger jack]
Encephalon-1
Math SPU-2
Smartlink-2 (a)
Vehicle Control Rig-2 (a)

I never played SR2 or used R2, but I've heard that back then, Riggers HAD to have two datajacks. Unless you plan to rig and use a knowsoft at the exact same time, you don't need them two of them. Beyond that, it all looks good here.

And I'm still not sure about the Math SPU, cybereyes or dampener. Now onto vehicles and drones because I know I asked this before. I wanted to hook this girl with either the Westwind 2000T or a Nightsky and was wondering what you guys liked to customize these bad boys up with. Also, in addition to the Condor, I was wondering what drones you guys liked starting off with since I can only think of them in terms of recon and combat. So far, I'm thinking two Condors, maybe a MCT Rotodrone or two, Wajinda, and a Steel Lynx. For the Lynx, I'm thinking:

Steel Lynx Drone [3 CF: improved suspension-1, recoil adjuster-6, sensor-2] Ingram Valiant LMG [smartlink-2, converted] 300 rounds belted regular ammunition

Steel Lynx Drone can take 2 more armor from the base of 9 without further penalties. Reason is that handling penalties only happen on multiples of 6. You don't need more than rating 5 recoil adjusters unless you plan to mount a high-velocity weapon or a minigun on it in the future because turrets cut in half all recoil before other modifiers are applied.

And I'd go on, but I've got to get some sleep. I'll go into more detail once I get a chance to make a post.
Sphynx
Personally, I'd go CyberLimb if making a Rigger. You can fill it up with all the Rigger cyber you need and since you already need a Datajack, most of it doesn't even require any adjustments (datajack acts as a router). So for 3.4 Essence you can get a Alpha-VCR2, and a Cyberlimb with all the addendums you want (including a datajack). Cyberlegs hold the most but are often difficult to visualize for a char. nyahnyah.gif Our Decker/Rigger has a Cyberleg with everything isntalled in the leg INCLUDING a Signal Booster and a MPCP-8 CyberDeck. It's just about the most expensive leg in the world I think. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
TinkerGnome
A few thoughts. First, there's probably no reason to spend the cash on the cranial RC deck at 2. It's going to have a flux of 0 in any case, and if you need it, it's unlikely you're going to need more than one drone in any case. The eyes, second datajack, Math SPU, Entire Smartlink package, and dampner aren't overly useful to the Rigger directly. You might find other IC uses for them, though.

Deck storage memory is also necessary for recording video from your surveillance drones. Which is something important you might otherwise forget about.

The best recon drone possible is a mini-blimp with boosted sensors and a suncell system. Get a hacker buddy to register it as a weather balloon and slap a point of armor on it (to keep morons from bringing it down for sport with small arms fire, I assume it's fairly common). I much prefer that method to the condor since it's more discreet (average signature of 10).

The steel lynx is so obviously milspec it's not even funny. My rigger's standard MO is to have it in the back of the van as a panic button only. He'll send in a doberman or other, cheaper drone (usually bought used to save on cash) for close fire support and keep the lynx as the big gun. If there's anything out there than can defeat an armor 5 drone, it'll probably vanquish the lynx without much more trouble.
Buzzed
QUOTE (Sphynx)
Personally, I'd go CyberLimb if making a Rigger. You can fill it up with all the Rigger cyber you need and since you already need a Datajack, most of it doesn't even require any adjustments (datajack acts as a router). So for 3.4 Essence you can get a Alpha-VCR2, and a Cyberlimb with all the addendums you want (including a datajack). Cyberlegs hold the most but are often difficult to visualize for a char. nyahnyah.gif Our Decker/Rigger has a Cyberleg with everything isntalled in the leg INCLUDING a Signal Booster and a MPCP-8 CyberDeck. It's just about the most expensive leg in the world I think. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx

He must walk with a limp. Must be funny to watch a character run with a cyberleg of quickness 4 while the meat has a quickness 6.
Sphynx
Or just maybe, he bought the Quickness up to 6 (or has a meat quickness of 4) nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
shirogr
I would suggest you take the cranial RCD because you will never lose it and if you outfit it with all the gear needed for electronic warfare you practically don't need to buy drones in the beginning (just go steal some during the first run).BUy a signal amplifier and you are set. Loose the cybereyes, cyberears, math SPU and install a second datajack if you want to go to decking latter. Max out the memory not only for surveillance but for command sets too (read carefully this part of rigger 2 or 3, the rules are the same, because it will be of great help.) If you want drones go mainly for aerials, because they will cover more ground, move faster and stay out of most weapon's reach. Blimps for surveillance and bombing, rotor drones for cover fire and anthroforms for ground and installation combat as well as infiltration with the help of some illusion spells (a decent medium battle anthroform costs around 70.000 and can operate any weapon.). The mnemonic enhancer 3, cerebral boosster 2 and encefalon 2 are also a must, for obvious reason.
hoped I helped
grendel
RCDs are a great tool because you're never without it, just remember the flux limitations. You can overcome this with a separate power amp or by utilizing the CRD-server rules in R3 (p. 85). With the server setup, though, the limitations on the network are in the CRD, so it would behoove you to purchase a higher rating than 2.

Storage memory is useful not only for pre-programmed drone commands but also for storing surveillance data collected by your drones.

Both the Steel Lynx and the Wandjina are military drones and won't be mistaken for anything else. They're an invitation for law enforcement to break out the big guns on you.

Surveillance assets are, as mentioned previously, either one of the Condor series drones. Also useful are the Wolfhound and the TADS Firebird. If your GM is letting you get ahold of Battletac systems then I highly recommend investing in some information or laser-guided indirect fire weapons. If you equip your teammates with battletac gear and/or laser designators you can keep your gun-toting vehicles remote from the battlefield and still provide pin-point accurate heavy support firepower.

Sorry for the late reply.
AK404
No problem, gren. As I said before, I want to make the Lynx and Wandjina the panic button drones, so yeah, I'd like to get them fully beefed up so I can concentrate on the surveillance and inflitration drones. Maybe one Lynx, a pair of Wandis for when the shit hits the fan: anyone have any suggestions for a nasty-as-hell combat drone that won't need too much upgrading? But so far, I'm strongly considering the Condor series, the Doberman series, and the roto-drones.

OK, so for cyber, VCR, a cyberlimb (an arm, I guess) with the goodies (and someone tell me if I'm gonna need a router for all this crap), and a high-rated cranial...I take it I can pack the electronic goodies in a backpack and connect them to my cranial or should I simply list my cranial as a subscriber on a more powerful remote-control deck?

Someone explain to me why a smartlink wouldn't be a good idea? I thought I needed it for gunnery.

Hm...had a plan for a customized Westwind 2000, but forgot the plans at home. I'll post those later.
AK404
QUOTE (Modesitt)
QUOTE ("ak404")

Anyway, let's go on. In R2, there was a blurb about riggers with encephalons not needing skillwires if they wanting to use Vehicle skillsofts to drive vehicles because of the way the cyber interacted with the VCR. I can find no mention of this rule in R3, so I was wondering if it could be grandfathered or if the rule was completely overwritten in favor of something else (and if so, where).

Nope. Nothing like that at all. In fact, skillwires are explicitly stated in R3(pg 27) to be incompatible with VCRs. You can have them both, but they don't work simultaneously with each other. You can still drive a car by datajack or manually and use activesofts though.

Yeah, but in R2, the rules stated that the rigger only needed the encephalon and a VCR for the driving activesofts (I hate how they reclassified these things sometimes) in order to use these things while rigging, skillwires didn't enter the equation.
Fortune
As far as I know, in SR3 you cannot Rig with chipped skills at all. I may be wrong though, as Rigging is not my strong suit.
Kurukami
QUOTE (shirogr)
...and install a second datajack if you want to go to decking later...

OK, why install the second datajack? Seems like having one is perfectly good for both rigging and decking -- after all, you'll not be doing both at the same time.
Fortune
QUOTE (Kurukami)
OK, why install the second datajack?  Seems like having one is perfectly good for both rigging and decking -- after all, you'll not be doing both at the same time.

Because somewhere in canon it details the fact that a datajack for Rigging is not connected to the same part of the brain as one usually used for Decking. Hence there is a TN penalty when performing the opposite 'job'. A second datajack would remove this penalty.
Zazen
I'm pretty sure that's in Matrix.
TinkerGnome
There's no TN penalty for not having a "decker" jack and rigging or using a "rigger" jack for decking. It seems there was in previous editions, but it's no longer true. There ARE some penalties for a rigger decking, but they are related to his VCR wirings and you can get around them by having a reflex trigger installed with the VCR. If anyone can cite a page where that's proven wrong, I'd love to hear it (since I've scoured the books for it and can't find it). It does mention that they are usually located in seperate places, but there are no penalties.

As far as a smartlink goes, you definitely want one, but if you're short on essence, you might consider not getting the whole package. Near teh start of Rigger 3, it talks about the parts of the rigging interface which substitute for parts of the SL system. I think it comes down to you just needing the smartlink processor (and maybe one other part). Of course, that's only useful when you're in the machine. Outside of that, you probably want the whole package (but if essence is a consideration, etc., see above).

[edit]Page reference, Matrix p.28.[/edit]
AK404
Interestingly enough, the rule is in R2, but the options are screwy enough to wonder what the hell Szeto was thinking when he made up the option of a 13,000 nuyen VCR-trigger with a 0.2 essence cost against a 2,000 nuyen datajack with a 0.2 Essence cost. Getting a second datajack is more logical, nuyen and essence-wise, than getting a VCR-trigger.
The White Dwarf
Re: Smartlink:

Since you need to be either touching/holding the gun in question, or physically jacked into the vehicle, to use the smartlink fucntion, its only of use to a vehilce rigger (like a guy driving a tank).

Because if youre in a vehicle (aka car) youre probably making a fast getaway shooting with a smartlink isnt applicable (not that you have a gun mounted on the westwind anyhow ...).

Because its impossible to touch/hold or jack into a drone (unless you like having a doberman on a fiberoptic leash) you cannot make use of a smartlink over a drone network.

The sensory-enchanced gunnery is simply a test using the vehicles senseors, rather than your eyes and hands, to fire the onboard weaponry. It doesnt require a smartlink to implement.

Hope that clears things up.

(of note, riggers that plan to go into the facility on a run, with a drone or two nearby and a shotgun in hand, make good use of crds and smartlinks. riggers that sit back in the getaway car and send in minions, errr drones, form offsite tend to not use either of those pieces of ware. it also helps save on cash because all that stuff is darn expensive)
AK404
Sorry, ya know, I just had a brain fart. That was the rigger under SR2 rules. As soon as I find the SR3 remake, I'll repost. twirl.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (The White Dwarf)
Since you need to be either touching/holding the gun in question, or physically jacked into the vehicle, to use the smartlink fucntion, its only of use to a vehilce rigger (like a guy driving a tank).

Or your average rigger-customized van. I seem to recall deciding that the rules indicated you could use them with a drone you were directly controlling, but I can't find my copy of Rigger 3 (I just moved) to back that up or discount it. I'm probably wrong, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something to it.
TinkerGnome
After reviewing R3, I can't see where you would be unable to use a smartlink in a remote vehicle. It doesn't explicitely allow it, but it doesn't disallow it, either. In either case, you can't use the SL while you're using Sensor Enhanced Gunnery (manual gunnery only).
FlakJacket
QUOTE (AK404)

Gyah! Do not bother with these. IIRC the flux on them is crap so you have to shell out for a booster straight away and the massive cost. I'd suggest taking a cyberarm or leg and putting a normal remote control deck into it.

Anyway, let's go on.  In R2, there was a blurb about riggers with encephalons not needing skillwires if they wanting to use Vehicle skillsofts to drive vehicles because of the way the cyber interacted with the VCR.

I think there was something mentioned in R3 about this that was a bit on the vague side. Our group basically said it was still doable but the GM jacked the price up an extra five grand or so for an extra bit on it for it to work. smile.gif
AK404
Why? I mean, that's so silly, Flak! Consider that out of a team, all of the characters are expected in one way or another to divide skills and functions among themselves, but who gets stuck with the primary usage of all the vehicle skills?
Daishi
QUOTE (Kurukami)
QUOTE (shirogr @ Aug 23 2003, 10:43 PM)
...and install a second datajack if you want to go to decking later...

OK, why install the second datajack? Seems like having one is perfectly good for both rigging and decking -- after all, you'll not be doing both at the same time.

I've done this with one character who was a rigger/decker. The primary reason is purely fluff. Deckers have their datajacks set in the forehead, riggers have theirs at the base of the skull so it ties directly into the relevant area. There is no incentive rules-wise in SR3 for this, but I figured I'd go full hog and jump into the SR world. A datajack is cheap enough anyways.

The second reason is that this character would often land on the target installation, run a cable from the chopper to the first jackpoint he could make and then run overwatch from the pilot seat of the chopper. Kept plugged into both to make sure their escape route was safe.
AK404
Actually, the option for putting the RCD in a cyberlimb and carrying the rest in a backpack's always seemed a bit wonky to me: I'm much more comfortable with carrying everything in one place or unit, I guess.

However, having a relatively weightless cyberlimb signal booster is a better option, IMHO, than carting around a 13 pound signal booster in my backpack. What I'm thinking now is a synthetic cyberlimb with a signal booster and a smartlink (as seen in the illustration of R2, I believe), VCR-2, then pack the RCD setup in a backpack.

Now onto the drone setup: no smartlinks needed, gotcha (This'll save me quite a bit of cred, thank you very much). Other than the steel lynx questions (still can't figure how to mod one up), here's a weird one, inspired by those rolling combat drones in Star Wars and Renraku Arachnoids: have another character pack one in a small round container (like those little plastic capsules that hold the little vending machine toys you find in grocery stores), cart a few around, and when you need an instant spy, inform the rigger that one's about to get rolled so she can cut off the simsense, roll the little plastic ball across the hallway, wait a second or two if there's no "ok, rig in" signal, then bam, instant surveillance unit in a pocket.

Oh yeah, also investing in a WWE2KT and a Yellowjacket. Any suggestions on weapons and mods? The WW is gonna be the getaway car from hell - because I've no experience with this sort of thing, I'm thinking of stealing the template from the Prime Runners sourcebook. The Yellowjacket is something I want to deck out for combat. Other than that, I'd love to hear any other vehicle suggestions for a beginning rigger.
Cain
Do not bother with these. IIRC the flux on them is crap so you have to shell out for a booster straight away and the massive cost. I'd suggest taking a cyberarm or leg and putting a normal remote control deck into it.

Two words for you-- server system. It's many times cheaper, both cash and essence-wise, to have a low-powered CRD and a high powered external RCD, than it is to have a cyberlimb with an RCD installed. Add to this all the canon inconveniences to a cyberlimb (the cyberlimb rules are one of my most heavily house-ruled sections) and you'll end up spending a fortune on it.

Since all good drone riggers already own a retrans unit, range and flux isn't as big of a factor as you'd suppose. And if you're a classic drone rigger, of the sort that stays back in the van, it'll be all of five feet to your main RCD.

The biggest advantage of the server system is that if you have any other channels on your CRD, you can still use them. That enables you to sneak in a few extra drones here and there. Also, if your main network is under heavy EW attack, you can simply disaffiliate the entire network, and while you're reaffiliating the rest, affiliate a few onto your headware so they can keep fighting.
Aramus
And in the same subject, what do you recommend for a security rigger ?

When a created one, in my ''scrapbook'' I wrote :

Alphaware VCR - Rating 2 - 2.4 Essence - 120.000 ¥
Alphaware Datajack - 0.16 Essence - 2.000 ¥
Cyber-Eyes - 0.7 Essence - 15.000 ¥ (0.5 Essence Max) (0.7) (33.550 ¥)
  - Image-Link - 0.2 - 1.600 ¥
  - Retinal-Clock - 0.1 - 450 ¥
  - Vision Magnification (Electronics 2) - 0.1 - 7.500 ¥
  - Flare-Compensation - 0.1 -  2.000 ¥
  - EyeLight System - 0.2 - 1.300 ¥
Mmemonic Enhancer - Level 3 - 0.6 Bio Index - 45.000 ¥
Cerebral Booster - Level 2 - 0.8 Bio Index - 110.000 ¥ (+2 Intelligence)
Cyberlimbs (0.65) (50.000 ¥) (Lower Leg) (Alphaware DNI RCD Link (0.08 Essence) (9.000 ¥))
  - RCD (Rating 6) 120.000 ¥
  - ECCM (Rating 2) 120.000 ¥
  - Data Encryption System (Rating 5) 20.000 ¥
  - Data Decryption System (Rating 5) 20.000 ¥
  - Protocol Emulation Module (Rating 5) 10.000 ¥
Reaction Enhancer - 0.3 - 60.000 ¥ (+1 Reaction)
Enhanced Articulation - 0.6 Bio Index - 40.000 ¥ (+1 Reaction)

Total Essence - 4.29
Total Bio Index - 2
Total ¥ - 760.000 ¥

I can be wrong with the ''Lower Leg'' for the Cyberlimbs 'cause in the M&M I think that you can choose... for better use of your essence.

Like I said, I'm not pretty sure of that kind of equipment.. I didn't finish it 'cause of that. Maybe you can help me finish it cyber.gif
AK404
Thanks for the suggestion, Cain. I just re-read how much flux a RCD-6 would have; pop a signal booster on that, then slave a CRD to it, and bang. Sounds great.

Now onto those vehicles...

Oh, and here's a wizzer for those who're into sec-rigger combat: do riggers get psuedo-personas like a mix between Matrix and astral combat, or is it just an amorphous blob-like thing in the system?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012