Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sixth World Hellholes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 2 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Also, I'm not sure how much of a hell it is, but Sudbury, Ontario is certainly a damned hole!
Hey, I've passed through there, even stayed overnight, a few times in the last couple of years. They've done some good work to clean the place up.

Some parts even look like Earth.
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 3 2011, 06:29 PM) *
Hey, I've passed through there, even stayed overnight, a few times in the last couple of years. They've done some good work to clean the place up.

Some parts even look like Earth.

I lived there for 25-years. The environment is cleaned up. The city, the people, the emotions... The things that make a city alive and good, they're almost all Toxic.
Sengir
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Mar 3 2011, 08:17 PM) *
Whats the Meaning of TOC ?

It means that I'm getting old and confusing the start and end of a book. The 4.01D BBB did have a Table of Contents, but the index was missing wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Adarael @ Mar 3 2011, 11:39 AM) *
Do you happen to know how much of that's spilled over into Poland, specifically Warsaw? I recall that Poland is pretty fucked up due to being a major stomping ground and having a revolution, but I'm not sure what level of infrastructure exists in Warsaw. I assume it's still a major city...?

...ahh, good, Fatum was able to get that info.

Actually the Balkan situation had little connection with Poland (except in my old campaign). You might be confusing the region with the Baltic States: Latvia Estonia, Lithuania. The Balkan states are Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia Bosnia-Herzegovina, Dalmatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria and the Sarajevo Enclave.

Unfortunately as it was with SoE, there is still pretty much nothing available on the Balkans save for the writeup of the Sarajevo Enclave in Feral Cities. I had considered contributing a section on the region to the alt.war project, however I am no where near as up to date as I should be with the Shadowrun world and political scene in the post Crash 2.0 era since I only played/GMd 4th edition for about six months after it came out before going back to 3rd.
Grinder
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 3 2011, 06:31 PM) *
The original 4th Ed rulebook was released in Germany as "Shadowrun 4.01D" by Fanpro*, and the Anniversary Edition as simply "4. Edition" by Pegasus. All other books, whether by Fanpro or Pegasus, refer to the most recent version of the BBB. So quite a few Pegasus books actually refer to 4.01D, but there should be no reference to a German "SR4" book before the translated Anniversary edition came out.

*: AFAIK there's also a re-realase of the 4.01D book by Pegasus...at least there is a version of the book with a TOC, which the original version did not have.

I guess we are on the same side. grinbig.gif
D2F
I'd visit Glow-City a hundred times over lagos, to be honest. Chicago may look more devastated (Nukes do that), but Lagos is the SR version of modern day Liberia. It's where humanity vanished. There may be humans living there, but civilization, you'll find none. Sure, they have technology, but that's not the same as civilization.
Sengir
QUOTE (Grinder @ Mar 4 2011, 09:28 AM) *
I guess we are on the same side. grinbig.gif

Let's just pretend the 4.01D book never existed, hardly a loss biggrin.gif
Fatum
I don't see what the fuss with Chicago is about now, btw. Sure it has some leftover bug spirits; then, scavengers, ferals and wild animals. But what is there that you haven't seen in the Barrens?
CanRay
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 4 2011, 11:04 AM) *
I don't see what the fuss with Chicago is about now, btw. Sure it has some leftover bug spirits; then, scavengers, ferals and wild animals. But what is there that you haven't seen in the Barrens?

Ghoul and Free Spirit Genocide?
Fatum
Well, that one's over.
CanRay
Haven't looked at the Astral Plane, have you? Stuff like that has a very lasting effect...
Sengir
Sites of mass murder attract all sorts of astral unpleasantness, a fairly recent mass killing of astrally active beings (using astrally active beings) could be even worse. The only astral strangeness in Chicago mentioned by canon sources is connected to the nuke, though...but just as an idea to make the place even less pleasant wink.gif
CanRay
I'd hate to see the site of the warehouses in Seattle where the Metahumans were locked up and then burned...
Inncubi
DNA/DOA uses one of those. Except, I don't exactly remember if they deal with Astral Pollution. Its a 1ed adventure.
The hacker/mage there is cool, if deffinitely underpowered. The best example of a character made for fluff without any chance for min/max.
The Salish samurai girl is hot, if you ask me.
Fortinbras
QUOTE (Inncubi @ Mar 4 2011, 12:56 PM) *
The Salish samurai girl is hot, if you ask me.

Got a thing for big 80's hair, do you?
Lugburz
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 3 2011, 01:15 PM) *
Free Poland won the Civil War; Russian forces fell back without much of a fight during the Crash, and then were pulled out altogether.
SK played a major role in that; and now Poland is its playground and favorite battleground fighting EVO influence from the East.
That said, I don't believe much is known about the current state of Warsaw - it was in deep when the rybokrats were still in; with slums, electricity and water limits and food shortages; but quite a time has passed since then.

Pardon my asking, but where in the heck did you find this? (Or is it a personal write-up for one of your own campaigns?) Dug through as much stuff as could be found, and still found next to nothing about Poland since Shadows of Europe. (Or Romania, for that matter.) There's occasionally a tidbit or two on Shadowhelix, but it's most useful when you need a cheap laugh- the bargled output generated by machine translators is hilarious. (One of them just went ahead and translated "Hapsburg" as "Having-castle" once. Might have blown beer out my nose.)

Anyway, if you've found any decent stuff I might have missed on Poland and the countries briefly mentioned under "The Rest of Europe" in SoE, or have anything of your own that you don't mind sharing, I would love to see it. Planning to compile a write-up of my own and all forms of assistance are welcome. To avoid troubling the Moderators and making a nuisance of myself, I'm moving the cut portions of this post to a new one in Community Projects: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=34526

Thanks.
Lantzer
Didn't one of the old sourcebooks refer to 6th world Los Angeles as serious hellhole?

Haven't heard much of it lately. The focus moved north for quite a while.
Adarael
El Infierno (East LA) is definitely a hellhole, yes.
CanRay
The other parts of LA is a hellhole if you're not into the Corporate Culture thing. For John Q. Wageslave, it's great! Like living in a Reality 'Trid show, because, well, YOU ARE!

For SINless, it's hell.
CanRay
Double-posted to show just how much I think Reality TV is a special layer of Hell, just under the Special Part of Hell for child molesters and people who talk in movies.
ravensoracle
But I think it is still one level above those parents that don't control their kids in movies.
Troyminator
QUOTE (Socinus @ Mar 2 2011, 02:57 AM) *
Where are the absolute worst places in the Sixth World to be, like on the level of modern day Liberia? I mean the most violent, f'ed up, poorest, most chaotic areas of the Sixth World?

According to Feral Cities, Chicago and Lagos are among the absolute worst. After reading Feral Cities, I'd have to say Lagos.
Troyminator
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 14 2011, 06:03 PM) *
I think Reality TV is a special layer of Hell, just under the Special Part of Hell for child molesters and people who talk in movies.

Amen Brotha!
Tias
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Mar 4 2011, 05:36 AM) *
...ahh, good, Fatum was able to get that info.

Actually the Balkan situation had little connection with Poland (except in my old campaign). You might be confusing the region with the Baltic States: Latvia Estonia, Lithuania. The Balkan states are Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia Bosnia-Herzegovina, Dalmatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria and the Sarajevo Enclave.

Unfortunately as it was with SoE, there is still pretty much nothing available on the Balkans save for the writeup of the Sarajevo Enclave in Feral Cities. I had considered contributing a section on the region to the alt.war project, however I am no where near as up to date as I should be with the Shadowrun world and political scene in the post Crash 2.0 era since I only played/GMd 4th edition for about six months after it came out before going back to 3rd.

Yo KK, if you're still around, I'm compiling data on Sarajevo 2072.. Even if it's just stuff you've wrote or researched yourself, I'd like to see it.
FuelDrop
Australia. Pre awakening everything was trying to kill you. Now days...

Oh, and it's home of the drop bear.
CanRay
Ooooooooooooo, Narcothread!

We just found out how Montreal is a touch of a Hellhole. biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Not for being a hellhole, but I'm jealous Montréal got a book!
Fatum
QUOTE (Lugbûrz @ Mar 14 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Pardon my asking, but where in the heck did you find this? (Or is it a personal write-up for one of your own campaigns?) Dug through as much stuff as could be found, and still found next to nothing about Poland since Shadows of Europe. (Or Romania, for that matter.)
Dunno how I missed this.
It's in System Failure, p.113.
CanRay
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 23 2012, 03:27 PM) *
Not for being a hellhole, but I'm jealous Montréal got a book!
You're not the only one. frown.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012