Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increasing Reach
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
evilgoattea
Is there anything in any book that increases reach?
ggodo
Weapons increase reach, trolls have long reach, those are just off the top of my head, I'd check Augmentation for more.
TeknoDragon
Elongated Limbs changeling quality increases reach as well.
Bodak
Being a bear shapeshifter (RC) increases reach which can (optionally, arguably) stack with a troll's natural reach if you take troll as your (meta)human form.

There was a thread where the topic was something like "Where are the Reach 4 weapons?" but since the search won't let me search for words with fewer than four letters, I can't find it at the moment.
Makki
Martial Arts Maneuver "Kick" increases Reach.
SURGEd Troll Bear Shifter using Kick attack has 4 Reach unarmed. Also, he's like 4m tall.

Telescoping Cyberlimbs add +1 Reach.
Yerameyahu
Although you'd hate to try and use Telescoped limbs in combat. I'd give the full net -1, myself.
evilgoattea
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have a player who likes melee combat and likes reach even more and wanted to know how to increase it.
Saint Hallow
Question... is reach based off limb length or height? Reason I ask is if you look at MMA fights or boxers and the fight commentators talk about reach, it usually belongs to the taller fighter. Is this due to the taller person just having longer limbs or is it from the height and therefore the "arm reach" attacks are coming from elevated ground?

If you take a 6 foot tall person and have him fight a 5 foot tall person standing on top of a 2 foot tall box, who has the better reach? The 6 foot guy or the 5 foot guy? SR give a bonus to the attacker on the superior position, but it also gives a bonus for the person with reach.
Yerameyahu
Reach is person and weapon, superior position is what he's standing on. smile.gif Simple enough, for an abstract unreal system.
Tyro
A SURGed troll sasobonsam with elongated limbs and a polearm has reach 6 nyahnyah.gif

Sasobonsam are an optional ghoul variant from a sidebar in RC. +1 Reach, no claw attack.

Edited for accuracy
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tyro @ Mar 7 2011, 01:52 AM) *
A SURGed troll sasobonsam with elongated limbs and a polearm has reach 6 nyahnyah.gif

And yes, I know you can't have infected SURGEd. Still a fun concept - and you can hit reach 5 without breaking the rules.

Sasobonsam are an optional ghoul variant from a sidebar in RC. +1 Reach, no claw attack.

The Surged are not immune to the Various HMHVV Diseases. So Yes, you can have a Surged Infected...
Tyro
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 7 2011, 06:08 AM) *
The Surged are not immune to the Various HMHVV Diseases. So Yes, you can have a Surged Infected...

Okay, my bad. 6 reach HO!
Bodak
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Mar 7 2011, 03:23 PM) *
Question... is reach based off limb length or height?
In SR3 a weapon had Reach 1 if it was 1 metre (or more) long; Reach 2 if it was 2 metres (or more) long; etc. Human arms are typically not a metre long but a troll's are.

Height is, of course, dependent on (lower) limb length and spine length. A tall character which is all back, with short stumpy legs (Machinarium) won't have good reach. A tall character with a small torso but long legs will. In SR this can be demonstrated by having a dwarf (or pixie) with Elongated Limbs having higher Reach than a troll with Stubby Limbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012