Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paths of the Adept
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Makki
I love adepts. Basically every idea I have is an adept at some point, but sometimes turns out something else for a reasons. My first char was an adept, and my next one will be one of some kind. My group is running some house rules, including revised Adept Power costs for some seem very unbalanced in the books. Most ideas are from this thread.

This thread I want to be a discussion about making an Adept choose a Path/Way worth some numbers.
Under this link you find an idea (I'm sure I picked it up somewhere on dumpshock) to divide the powers among the Ways.
I struggle between basically three rule additions:
-Powers belonging to your Way cost 25% less
-Powers from foreign Ways cost 25% more
-both
what to do with the unclassified?
something else?
suggestions for re-classifications welcome as well

Edit: Never mind.
Critias
My suggestion would be to wait for the Way of the Adept e-book. I think you'll like it. wink.gif
CanRay
Tease.
Critias
I'd be saying more if I could, trust me. To say it's a product I have strong feelings about would be quite an understatement. It was the very first thing I pitched to 'em when I got on board as a freelancer.

Rassin' frassin' NDA is one thing stopping me from spilling the beans, of course. The other is that Jason and Peter are working on some of the final tweaks for it now -- I put forth my ideas, made a few changes based on playtesters, but at this point anything I tried to reveal (if I could) might still be inaccurate, based on what last-minute changes the big bosses decide to make. It's at the point in development where it's pretty much out of my hands and I just have to hope that the parts I cared about the most will make it through the editorial process in one piece.

Just...yeah. Makki, looking at your stuff, I think you'll dig it when it hits e-shelves.
Glyph
I've always hated the rules for adept ways, mainly because they use a bunch of calculations (+/-25%) that really don't work well with adept power costs. Plus, I would rather see some advantages for "way" adepts (similar to how they do mentor spirits) to compensate for their limitations, rather than penalizing someone for not taking one of the "ways". I'll reserve judgement until the final product comes out - hopefully it will be better than the rules in previous editions.
Makki
uhh. finally a book just for me! nyahnyah.gif
Method
I'll back Critias up by saying that when I read the playtest draft I liked the premise a lot. And there's a great piece of opening fiction... biggrin.gif
CanRay
Ah, but does it have Shadowtalk?

And that reminds me that I have my own proposal to write. Stupid inability to be reliable in my writing. I'd be trying for a freelance position myself. Doubt I'd get one, I'm not published or accredited or anything... But still...
Yerameyahu
There's one Way that's better than all the others and basically constitutes a free 25% boost though, right? smile.gif It'd hardly be Shadowrun otherwise.
Critias
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 15 2011, 12:09 AM) *
Ah, but does it have Shadowtalk?

Yes!

What's more, I took my post-playtest revisions as an excuse to -- since I was "under the hood" and making changes, anyways -- put in more Shadowtalk than the first draft had. I'm just hardcore that way. cyber.gif

And that reminds me that I have my own proposal to write. Stupid inability to be reliable in my writing. I'd be trying for a freelance position myself. Doubt I'd get one, I'm not published or accredited or anything... But still...

Reliability isn't an issue if you're just sending in one proposal, y'know? If you've got one awesome idea, it's just as valuable (potentially) as someone with a steady stream of great, or good, or average ideas. The trick is to just write that one awesome idea, and then stop. rotfl.gif

In all seriousness though, it doesn't taking being published to get published, or it'd never happen! Toss Jason an email with your rough idea, see what he thinks. Everyone gets started somewhere, y'know?
CanRay
OK, new adept stuff with Shadowtalk. I'm sold.

And, yeah, there's other issues. (My comments about my corner and rocking back and forth are not COMPLETELY said in humor.). I will get that written up, and see what goes on from there.

Never written a proposal before which won't help, either.

Now, the Way of the Adept I want to see is "The Way of the Irish Fist", more commonly referred to as, "Drunken Barroom Brawl". nyahnyah.gif
Critias
CanRay, PM sent on the freelancer front. I already kind of derailed this thread more than I meant to. Sorry about that, Makki.
CanRay
This is Dumpshock, if we don't derail and dump toxic waste all over the place, the Toxic Shamans will anyhow, and they'll do a better job of it than we will, making things even worse. nyahnyah.gif
Aria
So is there an ETA on this feast of adeptness?
Seth
There's one Way that's better than all the others and basically constitutes a free 25% boost though, right? It'd hardly be Shadowrun otherwise.

Not only will that be true, but the way that I think is better than all the others will be different to the way that you think is better than all the others.
Critias
QUOTE (Aria @ Mar 15 2011, 02:59 PM) *
So is there an ETA on this feast of adeptness?

It's far along on the process that I'm largely hands-off and waiting to see what the final editors and layout guys do; so in theory, not too long. Y'all have some stuff by me in Attitude to tide you over, in the meantime, since I know it's me and not adepts that you're all excited about. rotfl.gif
CanRay
Right, keep telling yourself that. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012