Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: April fool... or not?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
DV8
It's the standard disclaimer, and yes, they can shut us down at any time. But there are similar games out there that are non-profit and are an expression of fandom and in no way to challenge the Shadowrun IP, who have been running without receiving cease and desist orders for a while. Not smart? I guess that really depends on how you look at it. In the end we don't challenge their current business nor do we make money off their IP, so we'll see how things go. If they ask us to stop, we'll stop. smile.gif
KarmaInferno
Well, I guess all I can say is "good luck".

It's a catch-22 situation, though. You presumably want people to play. But if the game gets too popular, eventually the rights holder will get to a point where they can't reasonably claim they didn't know about it. At which point, the way current IP laws are set up, they HAVE to engage in legal action, even if they don't really want to.

-k
CanRay
Ah the legal system. Man, could it be any more messed up?
DV8
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 7 2011, 04:57 PM) *
Well, I guess all I can say is "good luck".

Thanks, even though I'm putting quite a bit of time and effort in it together with someone else, we're well aware that this could very well happen.

It's a catch-22 situation, though. You presumably want people to play. But if the game gets too popular, eventually the rights holder will get to a point where they can't reasonably claim they didn't know about it. At which point, the way current IP laws are set up, they HAVE to engage in legal action, even if they don't really want to.

I understand the concept, since if they don't stake their claim they are at risk of losing it if they don't act soon enough. It's one of the reasons why we are so vocal about absolutely not making claim to the Shadowrun IP in any way, shape or form, that we're also not looking to make a profit off of this, and that we do it to as a fan project. (It's also the reason why we're using the SR3 rulesset.)

Anyway, until that time we'll have fun developing this and hopefully we'll find some people that will have fun playing it. But I believe that we're still months away from a fully playable game (even though you can play it right now, many features are not implemented yet) and we're even further away from possibly becoming popular. Who knows. smile.gif
Stahlseele
SR3 Ruleset completely 1:1 on computer. Finally a way to actually USE the Decking/Rigging Rules *snickers*
DV8
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 7 2011, 05:22 PM) *
SR3 Ruleset completely 1:1 on computer. Finally a way to actually USE the Decking/Rigging Rules *snickers*

Haha, you mean; "without developing some nasty RSI." smile.gif

We are still trying to figure out how to implement it, but hopefully we'll be able to keep as true to the core rules as possible, but that's going to be very difficult with decking and pretty much impossible with rigging. smile.gif
Stahlseele
and here i thought the most problemativ part would have been to get a round based game translated into real time O.o
raben-aas
There are some news on SR Online!

http://rabenwelten.wordpress.com/2011/08/2...adowrun-online/
Stahlseele
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Aug 26 2011, 04:34 PM) *

Wrong thread, but thank you for posting this
i reposted it here:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...view=getnewpost
Stormdrake
Well from the little they have said it could be fun. Very curious to see how they handle character creation. Question though, as a browser based game how are they making money? Will there still be a monthly fee or are we going to be chocked by adds?
CanRay
Ads, and "Free For Play" memberships that make you pwn those that don't pay for a membership.
Stahlseele
we'll all pay and pwn some n4ps
CanRay
I have to budget things carefully. I will be pwn'd.
Stahlseele
dude, you need to get a (better) paying job (like, as if we did not all need a better paying job <.<) or a paypal or something like that . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 26 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Ads, and "Free For Play" memberships that make you pwn those that don't pay for a membership.

Mind, it is possible to develop a Free To Play game that doesn't make you mechanically better by spending money.

League of Legends did a good job in that respect (the only thing you can't get with in-game money are the character skins, but the skins are fucking awesome). Global Agenda does a fairly good job too (I dropped $10 yesterday to get the premium bonuses, because it was half off). Premium gets you double EXP and more item drops (item drops being largely meaningless, as you can buy all the ones you want with the in-game currency, which is so plentiful as to be worthless; a friend dropped 1,000,000 credits on a group he was in simply because "I had extra"). Double exp isn't that significant either, without it I got up to level 10 within a few hours and hit 14 by the end of the night (8pm to 1am?) and the level cap is effectively 30 (above 30 you just get access to "more stuff" but not "more skill points" which have a larger effect*).

*Example: 1 skill, I already picked it up (as an engineer), gives +10% pet health, +10% repair rate, and +10% pet damage when I'm repairing it. A super-high tier turret (a pet) will have as its one and only bonus, 12% more damage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012