Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: April fool... or not?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
redska
hey guys,

found that (in german): http://www.buffed.de/Shadowrun-PC-131880/N...-Arbeit-818556/

checked on it (now in english): http://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/con...t/details/id/58
"The Shadowrun PC game is scheduled for release in 2012."

saw it, and thought: is this a joke or will it be smth?

Go Dumpshock! ^^
CanRay
OK, they're doing Shadowrun AND Deadlands?

How do I get a job there?
Jhaiisiin
Certainly not April Fools. That post is a couple of months old if I recall.
Vegetaman
Any more information out there? Shadowrun Online? Wonder what kind of a game it would be. I have interest, though, for sure.
Stahlseele
it's going to suck.
indeterminate ammounts of suckiness for indeterminate ammounts of people.
because nobody can make a computergame this fast while doing shadowrun any kind of justice . .
CanRay
Yeah, because the huge amounts of time M$ did it so good.
redska
I agree with canray. Let them at least try.

Lets hope for the best and expect... hrm a copy of the M$ stuff.
CanRay
Much as I hate to admit it, M$ could have done worse.

Of course, I have nightmares that would make Wes Craven whimper in terror.
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 2 2011, 11:54 PM) *
Much as I hate to admit it, M$ could have done worse.

I can't see how. They didn't just make it into an FPS with basically no RPG elements. They made it into a crappy FPS. I guess maybe they could've turned it into ET: The Game.

Betcha Bioware would make it into a cover shooter with power/ability elements like mass effect to simulate the bonuses of magic/cyberware. Probably wouldn't be too bad. Other than being a fucking cover shooter.
CanRay
Fine, I'll tell you how it could have been worse. Avert your eyes if you want to sleep ever again: "Hentai Dating Game starring Bubba The Love Troll".
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 3 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Fine, I'll tell you how it could have been worse. Avert your eyes if you want to sleep ever again: "Hentai Dating Game starring Bubba The Love Troll".

I think you forget the kind of people we have in these boards. Some people are just too kinky to torture. (No TVtropes link this late. You're welcome.)
CanRay
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 3 2011, 02:36 AM) *
I think you forget the kind of people we have in these boards. Some people are just too kinky to torture. (No TVtropes link this late. You're welcome.)

Um, I am one of those people. nyahnyah.gif
Abstruse
Don't forget how long the new BattleTech/MechWarrior game has been in development (though honestly, a good chunk of that could just be licensing and legal issues for the Warhammer and other mechs). Smith & Tinker snatched all the game licenses back from Microsoft.

Now if they can get the RP licenses back from Topps and fix those problems...
Sengir
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Apr 3 2011, 01:35 AM) *
Any more information out there? Shadowrun Online? Wonder what kind of a game it would be. I have interest, though, for sure.

Well, it's going to be a browser game, so at least not another FPS...
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 3 2011, 02:11 AM) *
Betcha Bioware would make it into a cover shooter with power/ability elements like mass effect to simulate the bonuses of magic/cyberware. Probably wouldn't be too bad. Other than being a fucking cover shooter.

I... don't mind cover shooters.

Especially since before they became popular, FPSes tended to be populated with spastic marathon sprinters jumping around like goddamn jackrabbits.

At least in cover shooters people are acting slightly more like real life soldiers/cops, you know, taking cover and moving up incrementally as they secure each area.

-k
LurkerOutThere
A shadowrun cover shooter wouldn't be bad as long as there's a emchanic that allows me to use the troll sam as cover.
nezumi
QUOTE (Faraday @ Apr 3 2011, 03:11 AM) *
I can't see how. They didn't just make it into an FPS with basically no RPG elements. They made it into a crappy FPS. I guess maybe they could've turned it into ET: The Game.

They could have made it into a successful FPS. Imagine the forums full of 13-year-olds calling each other fags and asking where the rules for teleport are.

It really isn't that hard to make an enjoyable Shadowrun game... as long as you're willing to leave out some parts. Heck, GTA IV could be a Shadowrun game if you gave more characters ears and cyberware. The problem and blessing of SR is that it covers an entire WORLD of possibilities. I'd like to see what these guys come up with.
CanRay
Hell, if they had to go the FPS route, they could have made an Urban Brawl game. Universe created and done, little need for writers, just a description of how the world now has bloodsports.
Stahlseele
Or if they wanted a game with vehicles:
CombatBiking!
Thanee
At least they have a good taste in games. smile.gif

Browser game also does sound better than MMO (which was the first thing mentioned in this context a while ago). At least there is a chance, that the game will be decent.

Bye
Thanee
Stahlseele
Wait . . whut? O.o
Makki
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 3 2011, 12:07 PM) *
Or if they wanted a game with vehicles:
CombatBiking!

hopefully they adopt the cool ramming rules!
Stahlseele
The SR3 ones would be perfect for something the human mind does not have to compute, but to simply enjoy . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Thanee @ Apr 3 2011, 01:23 PM) *
At least they have a good taste in games. smile.gif

Browser game also does sound better than MMO (which was the first thing mentioned in this context a while ago). At least there is a chance, that the game will be decent.

The ability to focus on a story rather than just graphics does appeal to me indeed. I still enjoy the old Sega Genesis game for a lot of details they threw in.
Thanee
I always liked the SNES one better for some reason. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
BookWyrm
Like any big announcement, I'll wait for a confirmed, authorised, decent looking trailer.
CanRay
If it's a web-based game, you might be waiting a long, long time.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Apr 3 2011, 06:38 PM) *
Like any big announcement, I'll wait for a confirmed, authorised, decent looking trailer.

You mean like these?

-k
Faraday
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 3 2011, 06:34 AM) *
I... don't mind cover shooters.

Especially since before they became popular, FPSes tended to be populated with spastic marathon sprinters jumping around like goddamn jackrabbits.

At least in cover shooters people are acting slightly more like real life soldiers/cops, you know, taking cover and moving up incrementally as they secure each area.

I actually don't mind cover shooters that much in and of themselves, and I appreciate that it slows the pace of combat a bit into something resembling reality. It's just that there seems to be over 9000 a glut of them.
Lugburz
Saint's Row II was more Shadowrun than Microsoft's Shadowrun. You could even have a pink mohawk in that game.
Ogrebear
A decent Shadowrun game is possibly on the cards?

Well I'll wait and see if it happens, but if it does Sign me up!

Deadlands could also be fun.
CanRay
Combine the two? Get Deadlands in my Shadowrun? Be interesting!
Stahlseele
A Browsergame.
And on the german boards we just stumbled upon/over/into one of the lines below the pictures in the german article about the game . .
"A GAME THAT COMBINES FANTASY AND STEAMPUNK" . . yeah, let's cut off right there and forget about the whole thing . .
Bull
Fantasy and STeampunk? Sounds like someone mixed up the Shadowrun and Deadlands descriptions.

though to be fair, these days it seems a lot of people are trying really hard to remove the "Cyberpunk" from Shadowrun. *sigh*
Stahlseele
*throws stones at magic*
Abstruse
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 4 2011, 03:42 PM) *
Fantasy and STeampunk? Sounds like someone mixed up the Shadowrun and Deadlands descriptions.

though to be fair, these days it seems a lot of people are trying really hard to remove the "Cyberpunk" from Shadowrun. *sigh*

Seems like they're trying to move it from cyberpunk to post-cyberpunk. Personally, I don't mind that part. Technology and society both have advanced in ways cyberpunk authors didn't see coming, so the genre doesn't reflect our current society anymore. Horizon and Evo are far more reflective of what a megacorp would be like than Renraku or Fuchi. The "Japanese takeover" threat is long gone from our world even before the recent disaster there as their own economic bubble burst in the 90s. I have problems saying the word "street samurai" to describe a mundane and highly augmented soldier/fighter type character because while it made sense at the time, it seems silly now. Even the idea of essence is getting a bit stupid as we're able to create all kinds of prosthetics including a real-life cyberarm controlled by the brain, and the people are no less human than they were before whatever caused them to lose their limbs. The only real reason to keep it in the game is for balance.

The only thing that would worry me is "steampunk". I like steampunk design, but I loathe steampunk fiction and fashion. I can't put my finger on why, but it just seems so stupid. I like the amount of steampunk that's currently in my Shadowrun - treating it as a fad in style.
nezumi
What precisely are the values of 'post-cyberpunk'? As a gamer, playing a game with the theme of 'this cool stuff happened yesterday, but now we're cleaning up after the party' doesn't have much appeal to me. I'm not trying to say that's what SR4 is, but when I hear 'post-', it tells me the stuff of note has already passed.

If I'm understanding you correctly though, I think I'm in agreement - that's why I stopped with Shadowrun at SR3 and moved on to Eclipse Phase.
CanRay
Post-Cyberpunk works more with Bioware rather than Cybernetics, genetic manipulation, cloning, and such. Less "Future Shock" issues, less "Punk" mentality of DIY, and a lot more consumerism. It's a very shiny world.

On the surface. Dig any deeper, and you find the dirty underbelly that exists. Humans are humans.

The major difference is that the protagonist in Cyberpunk is, typically, only looking out for themselves. Maybe even their crew, but that's still second. If they're doing something altruistic, it's because of their personal morals only.

In Post-Cyberpunk, the protagonist is attempting to actually make some sort of change for the betterment of society, even if in a small way.

Transmetropolitan is an excellent example of Post-Cyberpunk, and gets the feel down PAT!

In some ways, I feel it's a good move. It works better in some cities than others (LA and Denver are *GREAT* for Post-Cyberpunk! Seattle, less so.). Right tool for the right job.
Abstruse
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 4 2011, 07:35 PM) *
Transmetropolitan is an excellent example of Post-Cyberpunk, and gets the feel down PAT!

I'd almost say Transmet is as quintessential post-cyberpunk as Neuromancer was quintessential cyberpunk.

And think post-cyberpunk more like post-modern as an art style or post-punk as a musical style.
CanRay
Isn't Post-Punk when Punk Musicians learn how to play and start making derivatives of Heavy Metal?
Abstruse
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 5 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Isn't Post-Punk when Punk Musicians learn how to play and start making derivatives of Heavy Metal?

Post-punk is everything from new wave to proto-alternative to goth. It was a catch-all label that was given to music that was directly influenced by punk but that wasn't punk until those subgenres got followings large enough to form their own subcultures.
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 4 2011, 09:59 PM) *
And on the german boards we just stumbled upon/over/into one of the lines below the pictures in the german article about the game . .
"A GAME THAT COMBINES FANTASY AND STEAMPUNK" . . yeah, let's cut off right there and forget about the whole thing . .

You realize that this was merely a magazine article and hence could be wrong?
Stahlseele
of course. but it's usually better to work with the worst case, so there is still room for a positive surprise . .
CanRay
That way leads to clinical depression.
Stahlseele
dude, Tech-Support . .
CanRay
Never mind. *Makes room for you in my corner*
Stahlseele
thanks buddy.
*puts face in corner*
TKDNinjaInBlack
There's more to the post-cyberpunk movement than just the motivations of characters and the change of what kinds of augmentations there are. One can't forget that technology is now seen as a tool to achieve all kinds of levels of development and growth where as the original cyberpunk movement echoed the deep-seeded fears of the eighties that heralded technology as an alienating force that removed our humanity, inhibiting true growth in society (ie. death or enslavement to the machine).

In addition, my *2 Cents*

I loathe Steampunk being mixed in with my cyberpunk. All of the mentions of Steampunk fashion being all the 2070's craze make me want to seek out the writers and hurt them. Steampunk is very much a fad, and a very eclectic one at that, and needs to hurry up and die off. Shadowrun's fashion has always been a reflection of our society's trends at the current time (glam to grunge to sleek wannabe NEO black leather trench coats), but the fashions have always reflected the norm and popular culture. Steampunk is not the norm for our current age, just a fan favorite among the geek elitists. Writers throwing it into the game are just showing their preferences and it pisses me off! Keep your steampunk fetishes out of my cyberpunk!
Kumo
Wait... a new SR browsergame?
But there is one!
Shadowrun: Corrosion
Early stage, but I like it.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, but is that one licensed?

They claim they have permission from Catalyst. I assume they mean the blanket legal permission from Catalyst for fan websites to post Shadowrun media.

The problem is, this blanket license doesn't include electronic games, as Catalyst does not have the rights to that.

Smith & Tinker does. So far the ONLY known company that has obtained an electronic game license from them is Cliffhanger.

So Corrosion can be shut down at any time. Not smart.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012