Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: France dropping concrete bombs on Libya
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://defensetech.org/2011/04/29/france-u...bombs-in-libya/

Edit: Topic title corrected for spelling. - F4.0
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
They are effective for what they are being used for.
KCKitsune
The US had "inert bombs" for a while. Nothing says "Fuck You!" like 500 lbs of concrete going at 450 to 550 mph. There is footage of an Iraqi tank hiding under a bridge thinking he was safe... and then boom. Crushed his tank like a tin can.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 29 2011, 12:03 PM) *
... Nothing says "Fuck You!" like 500 lbs of concrete going at 450 to 550 mph. ...

Especially when using something as simple as a solid bomb like this. One way to look at it is "You're so unimportant we're using training ordinance on you."
CanRay
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 29 2011, 02:31 PM) *
One way to look at it is "You're so unimportant we're using training ordinance on you."

Certainly beats the hell out of my buddy's tank crew that got pissed off when an IED went off under it.

Of course, that could be seen as a "Battle Of The Hi-Ex". Tanks usually win those battles when all you have is a clay wall. nyahnyah.gif

Although, I'm now having pictures in my head of "Laser Guided Smart Bombs" made of concrete whose targeting systems and aiming fins cost more than the rest of the unit does. spin.gif
Nath
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 29 2011, 10:08 PM) *
Although, I'm now having pictures in my head of "Laser Guided Smart Bombs" made of concrete whose targeting systems and aiming fins cost more than the rest of the unit does.
That's the case, even when filled with explosives. A 500 lb. "dumb" bomb Mk 82 is around $300, a 2'000 lb. Mk 84 around $3'000. The JDAM tail kit costs around $20'000.

There have been some comments in the media about guided munitions costing more than the vehicles they're used against.
CanRay
When said vehicle is a 1970s-era Technical, the "Dumb" bomb costs more than it without the JDAM tail kit. nyahnyah.gif
Kagetenshi
I'm waiting for them to start dropping abstract bombs.

~J
Faraday
QUOTE (Nath @ Apr 29 2011, 01:32 PM) *
That's the case, even when filled with explosives. A 500 lb. "dumb" bomb Mk 82 is around $300, a 2'000 lb. Mk 84 around $3'000. The JDAM tail kit costs around $20'000.

At that point, it's almost cheaper just to fire off dumb bombs in a spread pattern. Granted, it's kinda crappy for avoiding collateral damage, but it's probably pretty cost effective.
CanRay
You'd think that, but where do you think the Bast... Sorry, "Insurgents" got their IED components from? Dud bombs that were dropped in a spread pattern by the Russians. And stuff left behind during retreat. And stuff they got on the black market that was sold as surplus. And...

Less weapons made are less weapons that go unused to bite us in the ass later when they walk out the back door, eh?

They're *STILL* clearing shells, bombs, and mines from WWI in France!
Faraday
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 29 2011, 04:01 PM) *
You'd think that, but where do you think the Bast... Sorry, "Insurgents" got their IED components from? Dud bombs that were dropped in a spread pattern by the Russians. And stuff left behind during retreat. And stuff they got on the black market that was sold as surplus. And...

Less weapons made are less weapons that go unused to bite us in the ass later when they walk out the back door, eh?

They're *STILL* clearing shells, bombs, and mines from WWI in France!

Sadly, I think the biggest lesson in Afganistan is one of the oldest and most commonly forgotten.

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. I'm only half-joking.
CanRay
A lot of big lessons need to be learned from both Afghan wars. From studying the Russian failures and the Charlie-Foxtrot we have today.
DWC
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 29 2011, 10:13 PM) *
A lot of big lessons need to be learned from both Afghan wars. From studying the Russian failures and the Charlie-Foxtrot we have today.

Plenty of people did learn from the Russians. Unfortunately, they were overruled by their commanding officers.
CanRay
Lesson one: It doesn't matter whose side they're on, if they're trying to kill you, they're the enemy. nyahnyah.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 29 2011, 05:23 PM) *

~J

notworthy.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 29 2011, 10:30 PM) *
Lesson one: It doesn't matter whose side they're on, if they're trying to kill you, they're the enemy. nyahnyah.gif

... friendly fire?
CanRay
"If they're firing at me, they're not friendly." was how one friend of mine put it to his CO once.

He also said, "If someone is shooting at me, the international incident has started. When I shoot back, I'll have ended it."

He was kicked out of the Canadian Armed Forces around that time. It was a Peacekeeping mission, you see, and...
KarmaInferno
Was his name Skippy?

-k
CanRay
No. Canadian Armed Forces, not US. nyahnyah.gif

Although I did win major brownie points for having a rotating bit of Skippy's list as my Sig File at one workplace... My Supervisor was a former combat medic.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 29 2011, 03:23 PM) *

~J

...I'd think the French would be rather good at that.

...or at the very least, impressionistic bombs.
Nath
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 1 2011, 04:31 AM) *
...I'd think the French would be rather good at that.

...or at the very least, impressionistic bombs.
Fun fact: impressionist painters drew the first camouflage patterns during WW1 and the following years. So you had impressionist tanks, tents, garments... It was never applied on bombs, though.
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Apr 29 2011, 08:03 PM) *
Nothing says "Fuck You!" like 500 lbs of concrete going at 450 to 550 mph.
Well an anvil or piano would be good as well, too bad those aren't shaped aerodynamically. grinbig.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ May 1 2011, 04:04 AM) *
Well an anvil or piano would be good as well, too bad those aren't shaped aerodynamically. grinbig.gif

When filming "The Blues Brothers", the filmmakers had to get a "Air UN-worthyness certificate" from the Federal Aviation Administration to prove how UN-aerodynamic a Pinto really was.

So, while in Lybia, the forces there could be using Pintos filled with Illinois Nazis to drop on tanks. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
..if they dropped Pinto Runabouts with full gas tanks they'd be firebobming Tripoli.
CanRay
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 1 2011, 09:04 PM) *
..if they dropped Pinto Runabouts with full gas tanks they'd be firebobming Tripoli.

Depending on where they're dropping them, that might be a good thing. nyahnyah.gif
Kyoto Kid
>>>Breaking News<<<

On another front a report has been released at about 10:05 EDT, that Osama Bin Laden was killed in a rocket attack just outside of Islamabad, Pakistan.

Additional details indicate that the incident is said to have occurred about a week ago with release pending positive DNA confirmation.

The President is expected to address the nation in a short time on the situation.
Kagetenshi
That's really not relevant to the topic.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012