Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: London A to Z
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
WhiskeyJohnny
Where can I find info about London, Great Britain, and the Shadows thereof? I'm joining a game based in London in a couple of weeks, and I know basically nothing about London in the Sixth World. So are there any books I should be reading (splats or novels) or websites I should be checking out before play begins?

Do they still not have guns in England? What's the government like - is Parliament still around, or the monarchy? How are England's relations with the rest of the world?

Thanks for the help, chummers!
nezumi
London Sourcebook and Shadows of Europe.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 9 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Do they still not have guns in England? What's the government like - is Parliament still around, or the monarchy? How are England's relations with the rest of the world?

Gun laws are pretty strict and the same applies to magic, cyberware and technomancy.
The UK poses as a constitutional monarchy that's currently headed by Queen Caroline and governed by the Green Party that has close ties to the influential druidic movement, but the most important political power is actually the Lord Protector, who has turned the place into a de facto police state.
This will likely make running a good deal harder than in the UCAS.
The UK has always been a particularly gritty, bleak place in the 6th world (irradiated toxic wastelands everywhere, infected trolls that look like the elephant man down in the sewers, 38% of the population below the poverty line and so on).
Prepare for a mix of V for Vendetta and Snatch.
Synner667
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ May 9 2011, 09:27 PM) *
Gun laws are pretty strict and the same applies to magic, cyberware and technomancy.
The UK poses as a constitutional monarchy that's currently headed by Queen Caroline and governed by the Green Party that has close ties to the influential druidic movement, but the most important political power is actually the Lord Protector, who has turned the place into a de facto police state.
The UK has always been a particularly gritty, bleak place in the 6th world (irradiated toxic wastelands everywhere, infected trolls that look like the elephant man down in the sewers, 38% of the population below the poverty line and so on).

You mean a proper dystopian cyberpunk setting...
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Synner667 @ May 9 2011, 09:29 PM) *
You mean a proper dystopian cyberpunk setting...

Well, yes, to an extend. My personal definition of dystopia is a bit stricter than that, but it's a damn proper cyberpunk setting for sure.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ May 9 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Well, good thing one of the inspirations for this game is Snatch. What happened to cause the irradiated toxic wastelands?
Stahlseele
Nuclear Power-Plant(s) going boom, the North Sea falling over . .
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 9 2011, 04:06 PM) *
Nuclear Power-Plant(s) going boom, the North Sea falling over . .

See, the first thing I get, but the North Sea falling over?! What's the story there?
hermit
It's got a healthy dash of Split Second, too, what with parts of England underwater. Less than Rough Guide, though, which actually features Harley Stone as an NPC.

Is it true CGL has chosen to defile the setting in Spy Games?
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (hermit @ May 9 2011, 04:41 PM) *
It's got a healthy dash of Split Second, too, what with parts of England underwater. Less than Rough Guide, though, which actually features Harley Stone as an NPC.

Is it true CGL has chosen to defile the setting in Spy Games?

I don't even know what most of that means.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 9 2011, 10:29 PM) *
See, the first thing I get, but the North Sea falling over?! What's the story there?

Probably refers to the floods that happened shortly before the awakening and rearranged large parts of the coastlines of Germany, the Netherlands and the UK.
Given that terrorists caused massive toxic spills shortly before that, the flooded areas ended up being covered in poisonous sludge that's still mostly there in the 2070s.
I'm not even sure whether the Brits tried to remove it in the first place, it seems they have just given up their toxic zones completely.

Falling over could also be Stahlseele's literal translation of the German term "umkippen", which is a colloquial expression for the total ecological collapse of bodies of water. If there's a thick layer of dead fish floating on the surface and nothing living underneath anymore, the lake/river/sea is "umgekippt".
We had plenty of stuff like that in the 1970s and early 1980s and large parts of SR's depiction of Europe harken back to ecological apocalypse scenarios from that time. Everything surrounding the North Sea is basically a combination of several worst case scenarios that where brought up by the rising environmentalist movement in that era, with magic thrown into the mix for good measure.

Combine this with the astoundingly high failure rate of nuclear reactors in SR (where the UK suffers the most, with no less than 4 meltdowns occuring on their territory) and you get zones that are only inhabitable by a plethora of toxic antagonists, a few desperate squatters and some criminals trying to hide from the law in these hellholes.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ May 9 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Probably refers to the floods that happened shortly before the awakening and rearranged large parts of the coastlines of Germany, the Netherlands and the UK.
Given that terrorists caused massive toxic spills shortly before that, the flooded areas ended up being covered in poisonous sludge that's still mostly there in the 2070s.
I'm not even sure whether the Brits tried to remove it in the first place, it seems they have just given up their toxic zones completely.

Hmm, I'll see if I can find a map - sounds pretty awful (or like The Clash were right - "A Nuclear Error/But I have no fear/'Cause London is drowning and I/Live by the River" and all that).

Falling over could also be Stahlseele's literal translation of the German term "umkippen", which is a colloquial expression for the total ecological collapse of bodies of water. If there's a thick layer of dead fish floating on the surface and nothing living underneath anymore, the lake/river/sea is "umgekippt".

You know, this is the great thing about the internet - so much knowledge at one's fingertips.

We had plenty of stuff like that in the 1970s and early 1980s and large parts of SR's depiction of Europe harken back to ecological apocalypse scenarios from that time. Everything surrounding the North Sea is basically a combination of several worst case scenarios that where brought up by the rising environmentalist movement in that era, with magic thrown into the mix for good measure.

Combine this with the astoundingly high failure rate of nuclear reactors in SR (where the UK suffers the most, with no less than 4 meltdowns occuring on their territory) and you get zones that are only inhabitable by a plethora of toxic antagonists, a few desperate squatters and some criminals trying to hide from the law in these hellholes.

Hmmm, well, V for Vendetta crossed with Snatch indeed. And it sounds a bit like Fallout, don't you think?
Tiralee
"...I don't want to set the world on fire..."

Although some people yes, without a second's hesitation.

Running England is VERY low-key.
Lots of sneaking/bluffing, magic can be quite difficult (unless they've Initatiated and have masking out the yinyang) and forget grabbing an assualt cannon and going commando on the opposition - the Lord Protector's kill teams (Read: Azzie Death Squad) are usually no more than 30 minutes away if you're in anywhere urban. (Unless your players start playing shadowgames with the security teams and start getting clever - stress the "Public-Eye TM" sensors and ever-present telepresence of various security forces.)

Physical and magical disguises are pretty much vital, guns are hard to get, and usually frenchware knockoffs of the more popular "gansta" models. Fashions will also trip you up - Auld Bighty is a bit of a stick in the mud, so your flash runner garb will add to their profile in a lot of areas, but should also increase your stock with a few of the more impressionable gangers. Chromed street-monsters are very thin on the ground, so again, get your players to think sneaky as hell.

A lot of the runs in England are like America, just harder, grubbier and with a lot more risk for a lot less reward. Also, if you're in the country illegally, all bets are off as you've provided them a perfect excuse to erase a nonperson. If legally, you'd better have bloody good fake ID's (Read London sourcebook for more infor on that) and if you're awakended, forget it. You're now Joe Wageslave with no hint of magic ability, unless you like having ritual samples taken from you at port of entry.

As to getting there - your best bet is to get in slow via Europe (Chunnel or ferry, traditionally the easiest for illegal entry) rather than fly in because all British international airport have a decent security rating (All the issues with the various anrgy mobs with guns/explosives/magic leads to a focus on not letting people with questional motives enter the country.)

Also - get a native to the area you're going to be stomping around in. You're outsiders here, the local wildlife will turn on you unless you're scary enough (and that brings in its own issues) or smart enough to realise you're a visitor and act accordingly. Be polite - it'll mark you as somewhat less of a berk.

Gangs: excellent cover if you get in tight with them. Burn them and they'll sell you out faster than a Johnson caught with his fingers in the discretionary fund.

WARNING: the Tongs in London are VERY nasty customers, often using kids as young as 10 as violent footsoldiers. Prefer to use kitchen knives and hatchets - can disappear into the streets with nasty hit and run attacks. Don't deal with them if you can help it. (GM- use sparingly, they're nasty bastards)

Hope this helps - most of this is off the top of my head - enjoy!

-Tir
Makki
I'm so thinking Sherlock Holmes is back. Nobody knows the London shadows better then him.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Tiralee @ May 9 2011, 06:26 PM) *
"...I don't want to set the world on fire..."

Although some people yes, without a second's hesitation.

Running England is VERY low-key.
Lots of sneaking/bluffing, magic can be quite difficult (unless they've Initatiated and have masking out the yinyang) and forget grabbing an assualt cannon and going commando on the opposition - the Lord Protector's kill teams (Read: Azzie Death Squad) are usually no more than 30 minutes away if you're in anywhere urban. (Unless your players start playing shadowgames with the security teams and start getting clever - stress the "Public-Eye TM" sensors and ever-present telepresence of various security forces.)

What is the "Public Eye TM"? CCTV for the Sixth World? I take it I should be planning to play pretty mirrorshades, though, if I don't want the rozzers breathing down my neck all of the time.

Physical and magical disguises are pretty much vital, guns are hard to get, and usually frenchware knockoffs of the more popular "gansta" models. Fashions will also trip you up - Auld Bighty is a bit of a stick in the mud, so your flash runner garb will add to their profile in a lot of areas, but should also increase your stock with a few of the more impressionable gangers. Chromed street-monsters are very thin on the ground, so again, get your players to think sneaky as hell.

I should probably make it clear, I'll be playing in this game, not GMing. As far as fashions go, should I be fine with those armored suits from Arsenal? How hard will upgrading my chrome be? What will I have to do to keep from getting nicked for my 'wares?

A lot of the runs in England are like America, just harder, grubbier and with a lot more risk for a lot less reward. Also, if you're in the country illegally, all bets are off as you've provided them a perfect excuse to erase a nonperson. If legally, you'd better have bloody good fake ID's (Read London sourcebook for more infor on that) and if you're awakended, forget it. You're now Joe Wageslave with no hint of magic ability, unless you like having ritual samples taken from you at port of entry.

As to getting there - your best bet is to get in slow via Europe (Chunnel or ferry, traditionally the easiest for illegal entry) rather than fly in because all British international airport have a decent security rating (All the issues with the various anrgy mobs with guns/explosives/magic leads to a focus on not letting people with questional motives enter the country.)

Also - get a native to the area you're going to be stomping around in. You're outsiders here, the local wildlife will turn on you unless you're scary enough (and that brings in its own issues) or smart enough to realise you're a visitor and act accordingly. Be polite - it'll mark you as somewhat less of a berk.

Gangs: excellent cover if you get in tight with them. Burn them and they'll sell you out faster than a Johnson caught with his fingers in the discretionary fund.

WARNING: the Tongs in London are VERY nasty customers, often using kids as young as 10 as violent footsoldiers. Prefer to use kitchen knives and hatchets - can disappear into the streets with nasty hit and run attacks. Don't deal with them if you can help it. (GM- use sparingly, they're nasty bastards)

Hope this helps - most of this is off the top of my head - enjoy!

-Tir

Thanks! I'll be sure to keep all of this in mind.

QUOTE (Makki @ May 9 2011, 06:35 PM) *
I'm so thinking Sherlock Holmes is back. Nobody knows the London shadows better then him.

Have you seen the BBC's new Sherlock? Holmes is definitely back.
Tiralee
Ok - should have added a disclaimer, the info I use is from the London Sourcebook (Lots of wonderful colour, not too much mechanically and the full-page ad for the Universal Brotherhood gives me the creeps everytime I see it) and a dimly-remembered Shadows of Europe, so "grain of salt time".

2nd: we don't do 4th, so a lot of the other shiny stuff you guys have now may help or hinder your entry and progress around England.

To address some questions:

Every time you're out in public, assume you're being watched by at least 1 covert (Or overt, if you're in a touristy area) agency that has enough pull to make you disappear if they so wished. Magic users, be especially careful, the Lord Protector's pets aren't known for their sunny smiles and carefree natures. Cast from cover, avoid anything flashy and ignore how the Protector's Office Watcher spirits routinely violate your privacy.

Deckers & TM's are your friend here, as is a local with maps to the usual CCTV routine centres and some C4 liberated from the backpack of a Squaddie on Demolition training.

Now: Suits? If they're from Arsenal, they're likely to be cutting edge. See if you can get some gear from the older houses (Mortimer's of London, etc) and pay to have those fancy new rags of yours "aged" professionally into something a little more shabby (I'd argue "Custom tailoring" and a % increase in the suit cost with the GM - if they're smart, they'll realise you're trying to play it smart and reward you accordingly.)

Upgrading your chrome is a laughable proposition, at best. NHS owns the doctors and although some may "Practise Privately" it's not like you're in Chiba with the hottest wires being advertised on the street by hawkers. "Military-Grade" cyberwear is either deactivated or removed on discovery, at the discretion of the arresting officer in charge, the customs' officer or the Protectorate member.

If you've gone the way of chrome, have it skinned in the best "real Skin" TM you can afford and made sure it's not going to set off the scanners.
I don't know how they do it in 4th, but about the only things you could get away with were low-level skillwires, "medical assistance devices" and some non-offensive eyemods. Those wired reflexes had better be masked if the Raks run a wand over you after you get off the boat.

Previous editions, you could have a suitably skilled (ie: Expensive) doc fake up your chrome to make it appear legal, cover the obvious shinys and even do internal mods to hide anything dangerous. Ask your GM, make him aware or your efforts to cast a small shadow.

You alienness cannot be overstated (unless you make up a local character) so making good, firm contacts should be youre first mission, after you stow your gear and make a few safehouses for your stuff/team. How you go about making these people friendly is up to yourself and your GM.

Avoid sewers! London's got miles and miles of them, mostly filled with stuff that needs a good flame to make the world a cleaner place. The Tube's a good way to get around (Avoid cabs, wired for sound and Rock& Roll) and from memory, private vehicles aren't allowed into a lot of parts of London proper. Hire a limo, get a driver and make like tourists

So, why go?
1: A job's a job.
2: TransysNeuronet-related shiny loots is easier to get on their turf. Just don't go in via the matrix, use the meat world to open doors and scrag security.
3: Lotsa odd magical stuff, most of it escaping the grasp of the Protector's Office.
4: Blackmail and Other Profitable data-entry jobs
5: Be a tourist, get the GM a Lonely Planet guide, go and watch a real Football match, snipe the Team Captain and use the diversion to assault your target. Get creative.
6: MONEY - the more proper an establishment looks, the more luridly-evil their underbelly is. Respectable merchants run slavery rings, get raiding:)
7: Nobility: As inbred as they are, they DO control a lot of what's on. Don't expect them to save you and don't ever trust the bastards.

Go, have fun!
-Tir
sgtbarnesKY
No 4th huh, to bad, I guess then the PenDragon hasn't shown up yet, and along with the masses helped Queen Caroline disolve the office of Lord Protector, cause that'd make it a little easier to run in the UK. FREEDOM!!! Or at least LESS OPPRESSION!!! I say watch out for shifty Druids, try not to harm to much of their forest when your in it. Also, the shadows always seem to crawlin' with Night Ones, at least it they did when we used play 3rd Ed. The UK is cool though, don't forget to buy a rebreather either smile.gif
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (sgtbarnesKY @ May 10 2011, 12:57 AM) *
No 4th huh, to bad, I guess then the PenDragon hasn't shown up yet, and along with the masses helped Queen Caroline disolve the office of Lord Protector, cause that'd make it a little easier to run in the UK. FREEDOM!!! Or at least LESS OPPRESSION!!! I say watch out for shifty Druids, try not to harm to much of their forest when your in it. Also, the shadows always seem to crawlin' with Night Ones, at least it they did when we used play 3rd Ed. The UK is cool though, don't forget to buy a rebreather either smile.gif

So Big Brother got kicked to the curb? Nice. Why do I need a rebreather?
Stahlseele
Because the nice big domes that were supposed to shield London from the worst of nature have been destroyed by terrorists and now they have to breathe the thick london fog again.
Mixed with a good deal of chemicals and other unpleasant things.
Also, yes, i meant the umkippen thing.
Aria
Another thing is the 'wilding' of various parts of the countryside that isn't toxic sludge...lots of stone circles appearing, weird fey magic, the works! Of course you won't need to worry about that in London but if you go out to the sticks remember it is more or less the private reserve of the rich and their servants (got to keep a few peasants around to make you feel good about yourself...!)
hermit
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 10 2011, 12:51 AM) *
I don't even know what most of that means.

Split Second is a cheesy 80s movie that had some influence on the portrayal of London in the London book, and even moreso in the (highly recommended, if you can get hold of a copy) Rough Guide to the UK, (1994, CP3281) for the Cyberpunk 2020 system, because you can use much of the details on the country to flesh out the rest of England barely touched upon by London SB. Also, for future developments,

I recommend Split Second if you like cheesy action movies. Besides, where else can you get Rutger Hauer stalk a satantist 40K Genestealer impersonating Jack the Ripper in a low-key cyberpunk/post apoc setting?
Sengir
QUOTE (Tiralee @ May 10 2011, 05:35 AM) *
Previous editions, you could have a suitably skilled (ie: Expensive) doc fake up your chrome to make it appear legal, cover the obvious shinys and even do internal mods to hide anything dangerous. Ask your GM, make him aware or your efforts to cast a small shadow.

That sounds like an interesting feature to adapt...any chance you remember where to find the rules?
Stahlseele
Yes, please, tell me, i need to find a way to smuggle my chrome by!
Makki
You would have to have made so much money by Running, that you're chromed up with Deltaware (hard to find) by the time you get hired for UK-based runs. Consequently runner teams operating in the UK are the crème de la crème of the world's runners. Magical characters would be required to have at least Extended Masking and probably Flux.
Draco18s
You just have to remember that at noon on a work day...
You can release a spinosaurus onto the streets and no one will be around to notice.1 wobble.gif

1Episode 1 of series 4. There were 2 witnesses (the show made a point of having one of the characters confiscate the pair's iPhone).
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Makki @ May 10 2011, 03:44 PM) *
You would have to have made so much money by Running, that you're chromed up with Deltaware (hard to find) by the time you get hired for UK-based runs.

Bioware would also do the trick.
Granted, going exclusively bio gets pretty expensive as well, but it's even more inconspicious than deltaware or a masked low-grade initiate.
Similar things can be said for technomancers.

You'd still have to watch out for high-force spirits at customs, though.
Still, i doubt that entry points like the Chunnel or the port at Dover have anything at Force 5+ (which you need to detect bio, delta, technomancy and masked Awakened even halfway reliably).
Such powerful spirits will not be bound by a mage who is resigned to customs checks, which means he's only summoned for a day, which means there's fewer of them. So these would likely be restricted to airports.

Granted, that can easily change on special occasions (recent or supposed terrorist activity, important diplomatic visits, major public events), so make sure to check your newsfeeds carefully before boarding.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Makki @ May 10 2011, 08:44 AM) *
You would have to have made so much money by Running, that you're chromed up with Deltaware (hard to find) by the time you get hired for UK-based runs. Consequently runner teams operating in the UK are the crème de la crème of the world's runners. Magical characters would be required to have at least Extended Masking and probably Flux.

And what if we're small time, just getting our start, and in the bowels of London already? I was planning on running an Elf Street Sam, which would be kinda hard if I can't get chromed.
ggodo
Get out of London, fast.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 10 2011, 08:06 PM) *
And what if we're small time, just getting our start, and in the bowels of London already? I was planning on running an Elf Street Sam, which would be kinda hard if I can't get chromed.

Ask your GM about if and how he'll modify availability and the police clamping down on chrome, weapons etc.
Maybe he's got a completely different vision of the setting than we do.
All of the following is just based on my view of shadowrunning in London, his may require entirely different priorities.
Maybe he just wants Seattle with more fog, cool accents and old buildings. In that case, you cold build your character as normal.
Maybe he's out to kill half of the team, which means you'll have to play smart, go for the full mirror shades deal and hope for the best. Maybe he wants characters who are slightly less tricked out, but can act mostly in the normal fashion.
Who knows.
Get to know what kind of theme he's looking for when he chooses London as your campaign setting.

-In general, i'd invest in skills for less restricted weapons that are easily silenced and don't cause giant explosions (pistols, longarms, maybe even projectile weapons) and skills that make you more self-reliant (such as Armorer to reload your own ammunition).
-Look out for 'ware that can be passed off as medical treatments or is otherwise legal (synthacardium, cybereyes without smartlinks), particularly used stuff might fit the theme and would safe you a lot of money.
-Avoid cyberweapons, not worth the hassle.
-Your biggest issue are additional IPs. Once more, ask your GM how strictly cyberware laws are enforced. Maybe he is particularly looking for a game where one or two IPs are the norm (although this is less of an issue than in SR1 and 2 for a variety of reasons).
You may end up wanting to get an auto-injecor with IP-boosting drugs instead of wired reflexes, or try to spare the money for a synaptic accelerator.
-Make sure to have good faked licenses for everything.
-Get at least one good connection in law enforcement, particularly the LPO (Lord Protector's Office). Someone you can get inside knowledge about surveilance measures from, someone to help you out when things really go south.

That's the gritty street version.
The possibly cheesy, but very efficient alternative would be to play Jack the Ripper.
Stat up an extremely well-connected character with kickass 'ware straight from the labs of NeoNET who also happens to be a murderous career criminal for shits and giggles. Give him qualities like Erased or let him be an aristocrat from an important family. Go to town gaming the rigid class hierarchies to your advantage.
Sengir
QUOTE (Makki @ May 10 2011, 02:44 PM) *
You would have to have made so much money by Running, that you're chromed up with Deltaware (hard to find) by the time you get hired for UK-based runs.

Sure, but GB isn't the only place were having a good excuse for your chrome might come handy wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (ggodo @ May 10 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Get out of London, fast.

Surely you're not suggesting there are no low-level runners in the big smoke.

Some options may include:
1 be the face or rigger (getting run over by a car is pretty deadly no matter how legal the vehicle is)
2 really push the grunge and enjoy some runs armed with chains and boards with nails
3 push the pink mohawk
4 play high-risk
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Rasumichin @ May 10 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Ask your GM about if and how he'll modify availability and the police clamping down on chrome, weapons etc.
Maybe he's got a completely different vision of the setting than we do.
All of the following is just based on my view of shadowrunning in London, his may require entirely different priorities.
Maybe he just wants Seattle with more fog, cool accents and old buildings. In that case, you cold build your character as normal.
Maybe he's out to kill half of the team, which means you'll have to play smart, go for the full mirror shades deal and hope for the best. Maybe he wants characters who are slightly less tricked out, but can act mostly in the normal fashion.
Who knows.
Get to know what kind of theme he's looking for when he chooses London as your campaign setting.

I think he's going for a Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Shadowrunners style campaign - he says we're going to have to play pretty mirrorshades but it's not like we're going to be on the knife's edge all of the time, he's not trying to kill us. That being said, he doesn't want any pink mohawk shenanigans either.

-In general, i'd invest in skills for less restricted weapons that are easily silenced and don't cause giant explosions (pistols, longarms, maybe even projectile weapons) and skills that make you more self-reliant (such as Armorer to reload your own ammunition).
-Look out for 'ware that can be passed off as medical treatments or is otherwise legal (synthacardium, cybereyes without smartlinks), particularly used stuff might fit the theme and would safe you a lot of money.
-Avoid cyberweapons, not worth the hassle.
-Your biggest issue are additional IPs. Once more, ask your GM how strictly cyberware laws are enforced. Maybe he is particularly looking for a game where one or two IPs are the norm (although this is less of an issue than in SR1 and 2 for a variety of reasons).
You may end up wanting to get an auto-injecor with IP-boosting drugs instead of wired reflexes, or try to spare the money for a synaptic accelerator.
-Make sure to have good faked licenses for everything.
-Get at least one good connection in law enforcement, particularly the LPO (Lord Protector's Office). Someone you can get inside knowledge about surveilance measures from, someone to help you out when things really go south.

I was planning on going for a Street Sam rather than a Gun Bunny, for basically that reason. I'll have to ask the GM what he's thinking about IPs, but I did ask if he'd allow me to pay a bit more for "stealth" wares, that are either shielded or designed to look like something less problematic. I'd rather avoid combat drugs, if possible, but it may be a better solution, given the likely prices of wares. Though my character may have had his work done in Tir (I'm thinking he'll be a Belfast boy) or on the continent. But that means I'll have to have figured out how to get it past customs.

That's the gritty street version.
The possibly cheesy, but very efficient alternative would be to play Jack the Ripper.
Stat up an extremely well-connected character with kickass 'ware straight from the labs of NeoNET who also happens to be a murderous career criminal for shits and giggles. Give him qualities like Erased or let him be an aristocrat from an important family. Go to town gaming the rigid class hierarchies to your advantage.

I don't think having him be an aristocrat would work, thematically speaking. As to his being Jack the Ripper, well, I was thinking of calling him MacHeath, so that may not be too far off.
Tiralee
That sounds like an interesting feature to adapt...any chance you remember where to find the rules?

God no - I'd assume Man and Machine or Cybertechnology (the one with the surgery rules).

If going SR3, I'd suggest a houserule (if there's not one RAW) whereby the doctor (biotech skill, with associated skillsets of cybertechnology and possibly stealth) modifies the chrome to obscure the scanner readings. Sure, it can pick up the metal in you, but the detail is "foggy" or you've got the 'ware inlaid with denser metals to hide some of your more illegal options.

NOTE: The mechanism for Cyberware Scanners wasn't really fleshed out, so it's up to the GM and the players to rule how sophisticated such techniques would be.

I'd suggest using the base detection numbers for cyberware (that's cannon, from distant memory) and have the doc roll an open test of their biotech/cybersurgery modifications less the character's essence. (Ie: if he's chromed to the hilt, someone's going to be a little suspicious that it's all legal and medically-required equipment)

Or using a less broken mechanism, have the doctor aim for a TN to hide the chrome, less the "grade" (1 for alpha, 2 for beta, 3 for delta, always use the lowest grade number) but + the essence loss of the individual. (As per casting "Heal" on someone, TN-wise)

So, Joe Sammy has an essence of 2.0, all alpha, and wants his gear to slip through without comment (TN 10).
Doc rolls 8 dice (Biotech) with whatever complimentary skills the GM decides with a TN of 17 (ie: 10 - 1(alphaware) + 8( 10- Essence, like the healing spells - as a basis of difficulty rather than anything special.)

That's a hard roll, but dooable if the good doc spends additional time (time required dependant on knowledge of individuals' medical history and equipment, like all the surgery rules stuff) and the player spends additional cash getting it right.

TN 10 to detect/identify 1-K cyber is a bare minimum in a security situation like an International Airport, I'd think.
In any case, that would mean you'd be able to slip in through the mechanical scanners and spirit's detection stuff ok, but at quite a hefty cost. (50% extra on top of deltaware? Heh, heh, heh....)

For 4th ed, hmm...remember we don't play it.

But for argument's sake;

Resist detection for cyberware (whatever number the game's tossed up, don't know what it would be) + dice gained from taking steps to hide cyber.

I'd assume that the steps taken would be like...

REALSkin covering, +1 to resist detection for obvious cyberware; GM rules on this.
Grade of ware: Delta +3/beta +2/alpha +1/ used -2 (Used alpha -1 smile.gif)
Stealth cyber components, +50% cost of cyber, +5 dice to resist detection
Deceptive Surgery, +1 to resist detection, adds +10% of cost for the surgery, can be taken 3 times, dependent on skill of surgeon

So, Jonny Sammy from above would have X dice to roll normally (to deceive the search, don't know what the numbers/related skill would be) and +5 extra (ie: Alphaware: +1; for having his arm's reskinned: +1; getting a good doc in to install the sneaky stuff: +3) which isn't that fantastic, but worth the investment if you'll be legally slipping over borders on a regular basis.

So, how's that sound?
-Tir.
Stahlseele
Uhm, i don't think the searched party gets any dice at all.
It's a simple success test on the searchers side i think O.o
For hiding gear, you get to do the palming trick. Cyber?
Not so much.
Tiralee
So, for SR4, the dice "advantage" of the player with hidden 'ware would remove dice from the party searching? (Ie: -whatever dice from their search roll?)

...This is the reason why I shouldn't suggest workarounds for a system I'm not familiar with:)

-Tir

Stahlseele
*nods* exactly.
Makki
a metal scanner will find metal, no matter what -.-
you can still get ceramic bone lacing for example smile.gif

maybe apply the Ceramic Components weapon modification from arsenal to appropriate cyberware?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Tiralee @ May 11 2011, 02:14 PM) *
So, for SR4, the dice "advantage" of the player with hidden 'ware would remove dice from the party searching? (Ie: -whatever dice from their search roll?)

That would be one way to handle it. Another would be to let it increase the target number.
Stahlseele
You mean, Treshhold?
nezumi
Could you just remove the cyber for travel and ship it by another method?
Stahlseele
If you have modular CyberLimbs, yes, otherwise? . . Are you serious?
Major Surgery every time you travel?
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 11 2011, 04:43 PM) *
You mean, Treshhold?

Yeah, sorry about that.

QUOTE (nezumi @ May 11 2011, 04:44 PM) *

I'd assume that finding a suitable facility for cybersurgery and going through an extensive healing process twice would be a major pain in the ass, particularly if you operate on a tight schedule.
You'd also run around with low Essence that's clearly visible on the astral, without any explanation for it.
That's admittedly not as bad as walking through customs with functional Wired Reflexes, but it would still raise an eyebrow and could probably convince the LPO to put you on audit.
Sengir
QUOTE (Makki @ May 11 2011, 02:14 PM) *

I got Viral Huntington's, they needed to replace half my CNS and I still get twitches occasionally *pitiful face*
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Makki @ May 11 2011, 08:14 AM) *
you can still get ceramic bone lacing for example smile.gif

maybe apply the Ceramic Components weapon modification from arsenal to appropriate cyberware?

Depends on the metal, and the means of detection, wouldn't it? Non-ferrous metals shouldn't show up on a MAD pass for example. But I like the idea of replacing the metal with Ceramic Components or non-ferrous Cermets or something, using graphene for the connections instead of copper or gold or whatever they use in the '70s.

QUOTE (nezumi @ May 11 2011, 09:44 AM) *

I doubt it, though I'm not too concerned about getting it through customs (if I can do it once, that should be enough, assuming my character won't be doing much traveling out of the U.K.) as long as I can do it once. And there are plenty of ports and other methods of getting into England, beyond Dover/Newcastle/Heathrow/Wherever so I should be alright. How hard would it be to swim the channel (with proper equipment of course)?

I've gotten the Sixth World Almanac and Shadows of Europe and my GM is going to lend me his London Sourcebook when he's done with it, so I'll have more questions soon, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Sengir @ May 11 2011, 11:06 AM) *
I got Viral Huntington's, they needed to replace half my CNS and I still get twitches occasionally *pitiful face*

Guard 1: "Hey, wait a minute, I thought Huntington's was genetic?"
Guard 2: "How'd you know that, Will?"
Guard 1: "Biology A Level."
Sengir
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ May 11 2011, 07:38 PM) *
Guard 1: "Hey, wait a minute, I thought Huntington's was genetic?"
Guard 2: "How'd you know that, Will?"
Guard 1: "Biology A Level."

Time for plan B: Whack the guards with a parchment folio edition of Hardwired until he believes Viral Huntington's exists. biggrin.gif
Mardrax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 11 2011, 05:45 PM) *
If you have modular CyberLimbs, yes, otherwise? . . Are you serious?
Major Surgery every time you travel?

Turn. To. Goo.
Stahlseele
We are NOT doing this discussion again are we?
Turn to Goo does NOT work like that.
You are basically turned into wine gum . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 11 2011, 03:06 PM) *

With a surface puncture rating equivalent to concrete! wobble.gif
Mardrax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 11 2011, 10:06 PM) *

But you are separated from your chrome without major surgery!
Now only to piece it back together. But that's half the work removed. And you can ride the suborbital in a jar as luggage to boot!
Stahlseele
No, you are not.
All of you becomes a giant Gummy Bear, with the ware clearly visible and STUCK in there.
And you are about as hard to open up like a statue made out of beton . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012