Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meet Einstein
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 11 2011, 12:30 PM) *
In what way? During My tenure in the Corps, I had no access to airbursting ordnance. I understand that there are some that are now available to ground troops. Remember, in game, all airbursting does is to reduce Scatter. It does not negate it directly. smile.gif

I meant in game.

It turns an unguided rocket's scatter from 4d6 to 2d6, taking the average from 14 meters (over 3 times the blast radius) to 7, reduced by net hits.
Maximum scatter goes from 24 to 12. Also note that the new maximum is less than the old average, thereby making the "worst airburst can do" be "slightly better than average" without it.

I shall also note that 7 net hits is more than enough for a critical success, and yet still leaves room enough for complete failure (scatter roll of 12, minus 7, leaves 5 which is greater than the blast radius).
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ May 11 2011, 10:44 AM) *
I meant in game.

It turns an unguided rocket's scatter from 4d6 to 2d6, taking the average from 14 meters (over 3 times the blast radius) to 7, reduced by net hits.
Maximum scatter goes from 24 to 12. Also note that the new maximum is less than the old average, thereby making the "worst airburst can do" be "slightly better than average" without it.

I shall also note that 7 net hits is more than enough for a critical success, and yet still leaves room enough for complete failure (scatter roll of 12, minus 7, leaves 5 which is greater than the blast radius).

I See what you mean... And Yes, I agree. Scatter was MUCH better in SR4. However, in some scenarios, there must also be a bit of common sense applied. If I throw a grenade down a hallway, it WILL NOT scatter left or right, and will not likely scatter back unless it hit something and bounced backwards.

By the same token, a Rocket shot on a target 10 Meters wide, by 3 Meters tall is still likely to hit the target, assuming you use Airburst (Yeah, I know) and aim center mass. Again, the only likely miss category is if you miss High or low.

Common Sense solves a lot of problems.

The rules are wonky. I agree. But bringing them in-line with what they should be would result in a lot of dead NPC's/PC's. Which is fine, if that is hwat you are going with. Personally, I am okay with Grenade Scatter, and we do not use Military grade Rockets/Missiles enough for me to really care about the rules for those. Each Table will resolve this intheir own way. Best recourse is to return to the SR4 Tables for Scatter.
Yerameyahu
Not to encourage this foray *back* into The Great Scatter Discussion, but you can't airburst link your *thrown* explosives.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 11 2011, 12:44 PM) *
Not to encourage this foray *back* into The Great Scatter Discussion, but you can't airburst link your *thrown* explosives.

Just out of curiousity, Why Not. An Airburst Link is a Smartgun Accessory. It would be Sheer stupidity to do so, but by the rules, you could use it for even a Thrown Grenade. However, it does not really matter, as Thrown Grenades have less scatter than an Airburst Link would provide anyways. Using an Airburst Link for a Thrown Grenade would INCREASE the Scatter to 2d6 Meters, -1 per Net Hit. Not the smartest move in my opinion. wobble.gif
Stahlseele
Well, a SMART Link does not a SMART move make *snickers*
Also, Impact Detonator is much more usefull anyway . .
Yerameyahu
You just answered your own question: smartgun accessory, not throwing arm accessory. smile.gif You're right, though: I skimmed the discussion too quickly and I only mentioned it because someone else did.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 11 2011, 12:45 PM) *
You just answered your own question: smartgun accessory, not throwing arm accessory. smile.gif You're right, though: I skimmed the discussion too quickly and I only mentioned it because someone else did.

Well, the Airburst link is used to program smart grenades... there is no deliniation to what is a smart grenade, whether it is thown or launched. I do not use it because it hunders you in that respect for thrown grenades, but is still useful for launched grenades. wobble.gif

And Stahlseele, An Impact Detonator is not really useful either, unless you are using Direct Fire rules (treating it like a bullet), instead of the Indirect Rules that Scatter uses.
The Jopp
Let's see...

Smartgun System in Cybereye

Smartlinked Grenade in hand.

Set grenade to detonate under the following conditions

Minimum Range= Explosion Radius+1 meter
Allowed Altitude= Minimum 0,5 meters above ground or at 0,0 meter above ground.

Throw grenade and watch the fireworks.

Since all grenades are programmable with timers and with an added smartgun link you gain even more options I do not see the problem.

You could even set the grenade to go off close to someone's commlink icon within X meters.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 11 2011, 02:22 PM) *
Let's see...

Smartgun System in Cybereye

Smartlinked Grenade in hand.

Set grenade to detonate under the following conditions

Minimum Range= Explosion Radius+1 meter
Allowed Altitude= Minimum 0,5 meters above ground or at 0,0 meter above ground.

Throw grenade and watch the fireworks.

Since all grenades are programmable with timers and with an added smartgun link you gain even more options I do not see the problem.

You could even set the grenade to go off close to someone's commlink icon within X meters.

Except that when throwing a grenade, you have to take into account the Scatter. It does not matter what happens with the explosive (regardless of how you have programmed it) if your scatter puts it 6 meters away from the target at its closest proximity. Grenades do not function like Bullets do in the game, regardless of how they function in real life. wobble.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012