Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone Question: Increasing the body of a drone?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
redwulf25
Is there a way to increase the body of a drone or the number of slots it has for modifications? I'd like to really pimp out a Transys Steed for a Paraplegic rigger character but 4 slots isn't a lot of room for customizing.
Summerstorm
Well, no.

BUT, as i see it body-enhancements should be possible. (Even massive ones, at least in design of new drones). I think it should be likely increasing bulk and decreasing speed and especially acceleration and energy efficiancy though.

EDIT: Oh, and screws up the price MASSIVELY... one of the pointers would be that the high-quality cyborg drones (which have unusual high body scores) are incredible expensive.
SpellBinder
Well, there's the Limited Maneuverability mod that gives 4 mod slots, but then you'll have to be pushed everywhere in your Transys Steed instead of having it roll you there.

Besides, it's right in Arsenal (page 129) that anything beyond the set number of slots for an item is up to GM's discretion. It's possible to overmod something, but I'd expect to pay through the nose for it.
sabs
Use a Horseman with an advanced cargo module. Bonus points if you put an enhanced rigger cocoon in it. That will give you 6 body. 5 with a cocoon, 4 with an enhanced rigger cocoon, to play with.
Yerameyahu
You can just Overmodify, as Spellbinder mentioned.

You can also choose… *any* other vehicle for your guy. biggrin.gif

sabs, what's this 'cocoon vs. enhanced cocoon' stuff?
Irion
Technically the spell increase attribute [Body] offers a way.
Since it is a physical spell it can effect technological devices.
Summerstorm
And would look ridiculous. And also may not be enough body. EDIT: The Cargo Module i mean.

Well, if you are only after modification slots: Yeah, just ask your gm for overmodification. (I myself allow it easily for my players. Depending on what they cram into their drones they of course become slower, or have energy problems, or higher handling, unreliability issues, or software/hardware screwups)

But for body: If a drone is built not for the mass market and with superior workmanship and especially materials you should get a higher body attribute. (For example the standard- medium Otomo drone has body 6, the big cousin -bigger than a troll- has 10, and they can be outfitted with higher strength with gm- approvel too). Much needed for drones to keep up with living squishies, i mean what are machines known for? Power, speed and endurance.

Body attribute is pretty much working just like body+strength on a critter... normal drones are a bit on the weaker end for some reason.
Yerameyahu
It's pretty clear that Increase [Attribute] is for people, Irion. nyahnyah.gif If you need a reason not to cheat, let's say that an Object can't be a 'voluntary subject'.
sabs
QUOTE (sabs @ May 17 2011, 08:52 PM) *
Use a Horseman with an advanced cargo module. Bonus points if you put an enhanced rigger cocoon in it. That will give you 6 body. 5 with a cocoon, 4 with an enhanced rigger cocoon, to play with.

Rigger Cocoon (Standard):
Armor 20, Structural Rating 10, increases resist pool for crashes and stuff by 5
Rigger Cocoon(Enhanced ):
Same, but also has the capabilities of a Valkyrie Module.
Yerameyahu
Oh, weird. I've literally never heard of that, despite everything. biggrin.gif
sabs
standard cocoon is 1 mod slot, enhanced is 2
I always get the enhanced version. Combine it with an agent and medical autosoft.. it is the awesome
Irion
It's pretty clear that Increase [Attribute] is for people, Irion.

Thats said at no point. smile.gif
If you need a reason not to cheat, let's say that an Object can't be a 'voluntary subject'.

Darn it, thats the only RAW weakness. But I could argue that unconscious persons count as voluntary so objects beeing permanent unconscious would count to.
(My point is more: Why the hell are some health spells physical as Mana (only affecting living beeings) would fit perfectly.)

(Thats like the argument that you should be allowed to shapchange into a human. That was silly too. (And made its way in the FAQ)
sabs
Because Mana spells can be cast on the astral.
And Physical cannot.
James McMurray
Get a higher body vehicle and give it rigger adaptation. Voila, a drone with a higher body. If it has to be a horse, add on walker mode.
Yerameyahu
The Horseman isn't even a horse. Er, the Steed.
sabs
The steed is a terrible drone, it's a walking wheelchair. It's completely exposed.

Irion
Because Mana spells can be cast on the astral.
And Physical cannot.

So?
(There are some spells where it would make sence as Nutrition or Antidote/Detox. The later is a mana spell of course. )
KarmaInferno
If it's a drone motorcycle, a sidecar will add Body.

-k
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ May 17 2011, 11:32 PM) *
If it's a drone motorcycle, a sidecar will add Body.

You beat me to it. Sidecar increases body. It would look... unusual... on a wheelchair, but it doesn't sound entirely implausible.

So I wonder if three mod slots suffice to fit in a nuke?
Bodak
QUOTE (sabs @ May 18 2011, 07:05 AM) *
Rigger Cocoon (Standard):
Armor 20, Structural Rating 10, increases resist pool for crashes and stuff by 5
Rigger Cocoon(Enhanced ):
Same, but also has the capabilities of a Valkyrie Module.
Just note that you cannot have anything higher than Rating 6 at character generation. Higher armour can be added once play starts, however, of course.

QUOTE (sabs @ May 18 2011, 07:10 AM) *
I always get the enhanced version. Combine it with an agent and medical autosoft.. it is the awesome
It has never made sense to me that the enhanced version's Availability is so much harder than the Valkyrie module on its own or the standard cocoon on its own.

QUOTE (Irion @ May 18 2011, 07:10 AM) *
(My point is more: Why the hell are some health spells physical as Mana (only affecting living beeings) would fit perfectly.)
In SR3 the Increase Attribute spells were Mana spells for unaugmented attributes. If you wanted to boost an attribute already enhanced by (physical, technological, non-living) cyberware you had to cast the Physical version of the spell (as you were no longer affecting living tissue, but technological devices). That whole "paid for with essence" insanity didn't seem to cut the mustard in that situation.
sabs
I would argue that a rigger cocoon is completely the exception to that rating rule.
The availability on that cocoon is very low.
Ascalaphus
I don't think rigger cocoons were meant to be subject to the Rating restriction; there aren't Rating 1-10 rigger cocoons after all. The armor and structure ratings are more subsidiary stats that I don't think fall under that restriction. Just like the walls of a medium house might have an armor rating above 6; I don't think it should be an issue.
redwulf25
QUOTE (sabs @ May 17 2011, 04:29 PM) *
The steed is a terrible drone, it's a walking wheelchair. It's completely exposed.

It was largely a concept exercise, take a wheel chair drone and mod it into a bad ass engine of doom for a paraplegic rigger. But it looks like the best I can do without over moding and taking penalties is either a weapon mount or both engine mods. I considered putting a manipulator arm on it but unless I buggered my metric to imperial conversion or read the formula for the arms size wrong it would barely be over 7 inches. That's not an arm, it's a penis with fingers.

Sorry for that mental image, you're out of luck I've no brain bleach left to pass out to the rest of you.
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (sabs @ May 17 2011, 09:29 PM) *

I do believe that's the reason why you install a rigger cocoon on the steed. Armor 20 Structure rating 10 is fairly decent at protecting oneself. The biggest reason I can see using a steed is for the stair climbing and price. If you don't want that, you could likely wrap yourself heavily in armor to the point you can barely move (or cannot move).

In a related note, I don't think your body holder needs to be an offensive powerhouse. It should be tough and safe. If you really need to keep up with teammates, speed becomes useful. But you can leave your carrier in auto-mode while you joystick your combat drones.

With some creative reading, you can make an Iron Will into your body carrier and fighter. It's got Body 6 and can take vehicle mods. Put in rigger adaptation, armor, upgrade response, and maybe a gun. Then you disable the RAS override on your commlink (it's a fairly easy hardware test). Jump into it though the drone. Since your body is moving based on the commands you're sending out, it can provide movement for the Iron Will. I wouldn't actually recommending trying to get this by the GM though. It'll ping his munchkin alarms and is probably illegal RAW. Then again who knows with the mess that is the Iron Will.
The Jopp
It seems you all forget the "similar models" rule from Arsenal.

At the gamemaster’s discretion, you may also apply slight changes in the
game stats. Th is shouldn’t exceed more than 1 point up- or downwards
(or up to 20% in case of Acceleration and Speed), and for
every advantage there should be an appropriate disadvantage

So you could make a more (for example) medium drone (BOD 3) into a medium drone BOD 4. Size wouldnt change but the design could be more robust. Disadvantages could be less sensor strength or acceleration or maximum speed.

It gives players and GM's nice flexibility, not to mention rather frightening BOD 5 heavy drones.
HeckfyEx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 18 2011, 01:02 AM) *
It's pretty clear that Increase [Attribute] is for people, Irion. nyahnyah.gif If you need a reason not to cheat, let's say that an Object can't be a 'voluntary subject'.

CODE
Targets who are unconscious, under the effects of mind-control, or non-living are always considered voluntary.
Street Magic, p.160.
Prime Mover
Think it was Synner who posted some cut content from Arsenal regarding increasing Body. If I can find it I'll post link.
Prime Mover
Posted by Synner many moons ago while still developer.

Structural Reinforcement (All): This modification represents a series of alterations to the frame and chassis of a vehicle or drone that combine to enhance its overall structural resilience. The changes usually involve the replacement of parts with higher tensile strength materials, addition of internal supports, struts or roll bars, and other general reinforcement of the vehicles structural integrity. Such modifications normally result in a heavier if sturdier vehicle, and come at the cost of speed and maneuverability. Each time this modification is taken increase the Body of the vehicle by 1 and reduce its Speed by 10%. This modification may be applied a maximum of three times.

Modification Slots Threshold Tools Cost Availability Special Skill
Structural reinforcement (max 3) 1 10 Shop 2.500Y 6 -
Irion
@HeckfyEx
Thank you.
redwulf25
QUOTE (The Jopp @ May 18 2011, 04:07 AM) *
It seems you all forget the "similar models" rule from Arsenal.

So you could make a more (for example) medium drone (BOD 3) into a medium drone BOD 4. Size wouldnt change but the design could be more robust. Disadvantages could be less sensor strength or acceleration or maximum speed.

It gives players and GM's nice flexibility, not to mention rather frightening BOD 5 heavy drones.

Thanks for pointing that out. Won't help much for the Steed as it's body of 2 would only go up to 3, which is still only 4 slots for mods, but good to keep in mind for other drones.
Yerameyahu
HeckfyEx, you're not helping! I was trying to discourage Irion from his crazy munchkinism. biggrin.gif Hehehe.

I'd be extra careful of Similar Models for drones, given the very rigorous way they're grouped into Bod 1, 2, 3, or 4. (Cyborgs break the 'rule'. smile.gif ) Giving a Similar Model drone a +1 Body is kind of a huge difference. I'm not a fan of that rigorous 1-4 setup, personally, but there it is.
Falconer
Prime:

Yes, the catch is you don't get additional mod slots for doing it... it takes 1 mod slot to add 1 body... on a medium or smaller drone that doesn't help much (as slots are 4 or body whichever is greater).

The biggest reason to do that mod is on a large drone like a steel lynx... drones (which are supposed to be unmanned...) get up to 3x body in armor... so suddenly.. you can make a steel lynx bigger and heavier... and slam 20 points of armor on the sucker (body 7... 20 armor max) instead of the normal 12 max on a drone.

The only other reason I can think to do it is ramming...

For drones where you don't want to waste a mod slot to upgrade their armor, you could use it for a freebie extra 3 dice of body soak (and an extra physical box or two on the damage track). Though it's costly to try and pull that one.

I always figured drones don't have a passenger compartment so they were easier to armor (hence the body * 3, instead of the body * 2 limit passenger vehicles have). Also since they don't have to move much more than their own weight, they generally don't have a large payload capacity compared to a larger passenger/cargo vehicle.

The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 18 2011, 06:48 PM) *
I'd be extra careful of Similar Models for drones, given the very rigorous way they're grouped into Bod 1, 2, 3, or 4. (Cyborgs break the 'rule'. smile.gif ) Giving a Similar Model drone a +1 Body is kind of a huge difference. I'm not a fan of that rigorous 1-4 setup, personally, but there it is.

It could be abused but since you MUST pick a disadvantage I know the GM would exploit it sooner or later, and aside from the occassional powergamer it gives the game flavor.

One should also mention that using a "similar" model might still be something that stand out, I might choose to give it the "Distinctive Style" negative quality to represent that it is a rather unique import or model that is distinct from any other.
Udoshi
QUOTE (HeckfyEx @ May 18 2011, 08:19 AM) *
CODE
Targets who are unconscious, under the effects of mind-control, or non-living are always considered voluntary.
Street Magic, p.160.

Additionally,

QUOTE (4a183)
A spell cast on a non-living, non-magic target is not resisted, as the object has no life force and thus no connection with which to oppose the casting of the spell.

Object resistance does apply, though.
sabs
You could easily argue that Increase Body (for a Metahuman) would not work on an Object. While the two use the term 'body' they are not strictly speaking the same stat.

Increase body is a HEALTH Spell. Machines do not have health.
Udoshi
bad reasoning, sabs.

the Category of the spell doesn't matter at all. Its Type(Physical or Mana does).

Unless you want to expand your arguement to Physical Spells In General Do Not Effect Machines, Because they do not have health.

There are already rules in play to account for this. As pointed out already by Hecky, objects count as voluntary targets, and increase attribute needs a voluntary target. Problem solved.

An object is, however, an object with some amount of resistance to the manipulations of magic. Rules are again provided for this, in the form of Object Resistance.

Sweet. Magi-tech here we come.
Yerameyahu
No, I like the Health argument. Show me a counter-example, hehe.

We know from the beginning that Increase [Attribute] is not for machines—it's a similar, but clearer, version of the 'Reinforce is only for objects' question. It's a coincidence that vehicle Body and metahuman/critter Body are the same name. We're just looking (as a fun exercise) for a rules-lawyer reason. smile.gif
sabs
Health spells can heal physical injury, cure diseases (or inflict them), detoxify poisons or drugs (or mimic their effects), as well as modify attributes. No techniques currently known to magic can erase Stun damage or cure psychological conditions.

A version of this spell exists for each Physical and Mental attribute, but not for Special attributes.

Vehicles have a number of attributes that are relevant to vehicle combat.

Vehicle Body
Vehicle Body functions much like a character’s Body, and is primarily used for damage resistance tests.

Rules Lawyer out of this one wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Well....

I am sure that you can boost Vehicle stats with Magic... I would require you to generate a new spell to do so however... Vehicle body Functions LIKE Metahuman Body, but not the same. Thus necessitating a new spell entirely. I would have you make it a Manipulation spell, as well...

How was that? wobble.gif
sabs
Okay smile.gif
I'd allow it.

it's only useful on drones, and some motorcycles anyways smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ May 19 2011, 01:44 PM) *
Okay smile.gif
I'd allow it.

it's only useful on drones, and some motorcycles anyways smile.gif

Always works for me... Higher OR is its own punishment, though I do not see it going much higher than 6-7... wobble.gif
Of course, who tries to overcome OR 6-7 on a regular basis? Certainly not any of MY magically awakened characters... smile.gif
sabs
The Force of the spell must equal or exceed the (augmented) value of the attribute being affected

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ May 19 2011, 01:48 PM) *
The Force of the spell must equal or exceed the (augmented) value of the attribute being affected

True, I was more concerned about the OR, however... smile.gif That is going to give you more of a limit than the Force the spell is cast at... If you MUST cast at Force 12 and have an OR of 6, that is crazy whacked... wobble.gif

All for a potential bonus of a single point of gained attribute? No Thanks
sabs
The OR just means you need to cast the thing at Force 7, just to get a 1 point increase in body.
Now the spell is only F/2 -2 . So 4P DV isn't terrible to resist, but it aint pretty.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (sabs @ May 19 2011, 01:52 PM) *
The OR just means you need to cast the thing at Force 7, just to get a 1 point increase in body.
Now the spell is only F/2 -2 . So 4P DV isn't terrible to resist, but it aint pretty.

Could be quite Brutal... smile.gif
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Bodak @ May 17 2011, 06:41 PM) *
Just note that you cannot have anything higher than Rating 6 at character generation. Higher armour can be added once play starts, however, of course.

Thats an incredibly vague rule that needs to be ignored for certain things. If you start counting armor as rating then a good deal of listed armor suites and vehicles would all have to be throw out for character creation. The availability cap is a much more reasonable rule.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fauxknight @ May 19 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Thats an incredibly vague rule that needs to be ignored for certain things. If you start counting armor as rating then a good deal of listed armor suites and vehicles would all have to be throw out for character creation. The availability cap is a much more reasonable rule.

Cannot be quoted enough... Armor does not Come in RATINGS...

Programs have Ratings (Stealth 1-6)
Armor does not have Ratings... An Armored Jacket is an Armored Jacket... You cannot buy an Armored Jacket Rating 2...

Should be simple enough...
Bodak
However, you can give a vehicle an armour upgrade; this armour upgrade has a rating.

Mea culpa regarding the inherent armour value of pre-existing stock items such as the cocoon itself or an armoured jacket. Of course, these come off the shelf with their respective armour values. I had mistakenly thought the post was referring to modifying a drone with a rating 20 armour upgrade.
sabs
It's a way to get a 1 person vehicle with 23 points of armor protecting the user smile.gif
Bodak
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 20 2011, 07:05 AM) *
Cannot be quoted enough... Armor does not Come in RATINGS...
<snip>
Armor does not have Ratings...
"The rigger cocoon has an Armor rating of 20 and a Structure rating of 10" (AR142). Armour (AR132) "What helps them to survive this is good old-fashioned armor, rated from 1 to 20." Also "Personal armor has a rating of 1 to 10, which is added as a dice pool bonus to any test to avoid damage inflicted by outside sources onto passengers." (AR141) In all these cases, armour is described as having a rating. The ratings of the Armour and the Personal Armour upgrades are limited to 6 at character generation.
QUOTE (sabs @ May 18 2011, 09:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Bodak @ May 18 2011, 09:41 AM) *
QUOTE (sabs @ May 18 2011, 07:10 AM) *
It has never made sense to me that the enhanced version's Availability is so much harder than the Valkyrie module on its own or the standard cocoon on its own.
The availability on that cocoon is very low.
I don't really follow your reasoning for calling it "very low". You cannot get the enhanced cocoon (which we're both talking about) at character generation without the Restricted Gear quality. To my way of thinking, that immediately disqualifies it from having a "very low" availability.

You see both of the Rigger Cocoons listed in a table on AR141. "The enhanced version of the cocoon includes the capabilities of a valkyrie module (p. 146)," (AR142). The Valkyrie Module is listed in a table on AR143.

Basic Cocoon is 1500Y, availability 8.
Valkyrie Module is 2000Y, availability 10.
Enhanced Cocoon is 4000Y, availability 14R.

I could understand if someone installed an availability 10 item inside an availability 8 item and called it availability 10. The installation took a bit of (automated) labour so maybe availability 11 or if you're hours from a mechanic, 12. But 14R? If you put a valkyrie module in your basic cocoon you don't suddenly have to get a licence for the combo. Like I said, it has never made sense to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012