Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick encumbrance question...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
Do these count against the potential reaction penalty for layers of armour? I have always assumed not but...?!?

Do milspec helmets get the same treatment?

Thanks!
Yerameyahu
The short answer is 'it depends'. There are at least 3 or so armor encumbrance rules options.

The basic one is that all armor counts, so yes. (SR4A p161) Penalties start when the total B and/or I exceeds Body*2. (Note that stacking doesn't mean add everything *for the purposes of damage resistance*; only the highest B or I counts, while everything counts to encumbrance.)

Arsenal (p44) provides the option of 'no encumbrance for any single armor item'; e.g., one armor suit. The player can lose this grace by doing more stacking/accessorizing; IMO, suit+helmet is fine, but suit+helmet+PPP+shield, etc. is not.

A second Arsenal option is for Milspec armor to use Body*3 as the limit. For me, this never comes up. wink.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 20 2011, 10:30 PM) *
The short answer is 'it depends'. There are at least 3 or so armor encumbrance rules options.

The basic one is that all armor counts, so yes. (SR4A p161) Penalties start when the total B and/or I exceeds Body*2. (Note that stacking doesn't mean add everything *for the purposes of damage resistance*; only the highest B or I counts, while everything counts to encumbrance.)

Arsenal (p44) provides the option of 'no encumbrance for any single armor item'; e.g., one armor suit. The player can lose this grace by doing more stacking/accessorizing; IMO, suit+helmet is fine, but suit+helmet+PPP+shield, etc. is not.

A second Arsenal option is for Milspec armor to use Body*3 as the limit. For me, this never comes up. wink.gif
That second option is in fact a suggested optional rule. RAW says if your total B or I exceeds Body x2 (x3 for milspec), you're encumbered. How you got there - were those shields, PPP, helmets or what - doesn't matter.
Yerameyahu
I think that's exactly what I said. smile.gif That's what 'option' means.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 20 2011, 01:18 PM) *

Heh... wobble.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 21 2011, 12:18 AM) *
The first and the third "options" are not optional at all, they are default rules.
Daishi
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 20 2011, 02:13 PM) *
The first and the third "options" are not optional at all, they are default rules.

A variant of the third can be an option if you allow tailored/custom-fit armour to also use Bod x 3 as the limit. (Also on Arsenal p. 44)
Mäx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 20 2011, 09:30 PM) *
(Note that stacking doesn't mean add everything *for the purposes of damage resistance*; only the highest B or I counts, while everything counts to encumbrance.)

Just to make sure you dont confuse the OP:
Thinks that are listed as +somethink add that value to your existing armor and don't count as separate armor.
The "only highest of B or I counts for armor, but all count for encumbrance" rule only comes into effect if your wearing 2(or more) actual armors, for example:
If your wearing Body Armor Bag 6/2 and a Chain Mail Shirt 2/7, you have armor 6/7 but for encumbrance it counts as 8/9.
Yerameyahu
I think you'll find that everything in Arsenal there is under a general 'this is all optional' disclaimer. smile.gif
CanRay
Having worn a motorcycle helmet, and having shopped around for a few military ones (Army surplus), I can tell you the damned things are annoying as hell and a lot heavier and more cumbersome than most people think. Especially on the neck, which already supports a pretty heavy load.
Aria
Thanks guys!
Fatum
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 21 2011, 06:49 AM) *
Having worn a motorcycle helmet, and having shopped around for a few military ones (Army surplus), I can tell you the damned things are annoying as hell and a lot heavier and more cumbersome than most people think. Especially on the neck, which already supports a pretty heavy load.
Well, high-grade head protection systems add an armored collar to the helmet. It both supports some of the helmet's bulk and prevents the head from being tilted too far, so as not to damage the backbone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012