Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emerging: End of Days OoC & Recruitment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Aria
Inspired by Eclipse Phase/Cuthulu Tech and Earthdawn this game follows on from the events in my game Emerging Conflict (although no knowledge of that thread is needed to play in this one). That thread will continue on during this recruitment period and I hope that the players from that will move on to this one as I’d like to keep IC more or less continuous.

I am looking for players to go to the remains of the Stillwater Community on the borders of Redmond. The year is 2072-73 but once there you will be entering into a UV node simulator that will take you to the edges of the future – and a dark dark place it is! The node will plunge you into a Realer than Real apocalyptic setting where you will need to fight to survive – to aid you in this you will have access to milspec gear and SOTA (circa 2070) technologies. Unlike RAW the node is capable of representing real life to a surprising level and even magic and the astral have been successfully modelled. What’s more the tech exists so that no matter who you are going in (from hardened shadowrunner to corp secretary) you can become more or less anyone inside the node...(This is a derivation of the simsense skillsofts except they can be higher than 4 and can also replicate magical skills – although they only work inside the node.) The game world encompasses the greater Seattle Metroplex area and parts of the surrounding countryside, circa 2105.

Mission Briefing
[ Spoiler ]

House Rules & Character Gen
[ Spoiler ]

Any questions or comments please let me know!
Aria
Current PCs
Captain Roberts
DW Captain
<<Roberts>>

Corporal "Sticks"
DW Rigger/Mecha Pilot
<<Sticks>>

Joey "Racoon"
Street Sam/Wilderness Expert
<<Racoon>>

Rina Yoshida
Sniper
<<Wolf Cub>>

Gash
Magical Support
<<Gash>>

Jax
Mecha Pilot
<<Jax>>

Tris
Mad Mage
<<Tris>>

Priscilla
Troll Combat Monster
<<Priscilla>>

Key Mission NPCs
Kit
TM & C&C Mecha Pilot
Seth
Me me...count me in!
sabs
This Space Reserved for the Most Awesome Sticks (if he survives), otherwise, some other guy.

Name: Steve Gallaway "Sticks"
Race: Human
Concept: Combat Driver/Rigger
Total Karma: 52
Karma Spent: 52
Total Cash: 130000
Cash Spent: 130000
Body 2
Agility 2
Reaction 2
Strength 2
Charisma 3
Intuition 5
Logic 5
Willpower 5
Edge 4

Hacking 4 (drones)
Cybercombat 3
Electronic Warfare 4 (jamming)
Computer 3
Leadership (infantry) 3
Etiquette 2
Gunnery 4 (mecha)
Hardware 2
Infiltration 3
Shadowing 3
Perception 2
Pilot Aircraft 4
Pilot Anthroform (Mecha) 4
Pilot Groundcraft 4
Navigation 4

Languages:
English: N
Sperethiel: 3

Knowledge Skills:
Military: 3
Smugglers: 3
Deep Watch Procedures: 4
Vehicle Modifications: 3
Matrix Games: 2
UCAS Politics: 1
UCAS Patrol Procedures: 2
Blood Sports: 2
Vehicles: 3
Matrix trids: 2
Tatooing: 2
Area Knowledge (Still Water): 1

Qualities:
Biocompatability: Cyberware
Asthma
Virtual Personality (1)
Parapalegic - legs
SINner (Standard)

IP: 1/5 7/17

Contacts: Need to flesh these out
HuggyBear 2/3: HuggyBear is a hacker,rigger, gaming friend of Sticks. They're in the same gaming guild and have been through more than a few hair raising adventures together. Additionally, Sticks has done insertion and extraction ops for Huggy's Shadowrun team a few times. Strictly while off duty, of course.

Gunnery Sergeant Robert "Blackie" Mallone 2/3: Blackie is the NCO in charge of the Motor Pool. A mechanic with a flair for the 'special' modifications that every vehicle jockey just loves. Sticks and he are always trying out new fine tunings, and little surprises that could one day save the lives of the rigger and his unit.

Nurse Hatchett: 3/2. A NCO Nurse within the Deep Watch Infrastructure. She's known 'sticks' ever since he was recruited a few years ago. They have a very solid patient/nurse relationship that's edged into something more a few times. Sticks has even taken her out on a couple of Matrix Dates.

Cyberware:
Attention Co-Processor 3 used-std
Datajack
Control Rig (used-std)
Orientation Syatem
Simsense Booster (sed-std)
Sleep Regulator
Nanohive R4 (Used-std)
Nano-Biomonitor (used-std)
Bioware:
Cerebral Booster 2
PuSHeD

Nanites:
Control Rig Booster R3
Learning Stimulus R2
O-Cells R2
Recall Amplifiers 2
Nano-Tatoos (with the Deep Watch SiNN and Tags)

Commlink:
Hermes Ikon Upgraded to 6/6, Customized Interface, Biometrick Lock, Hardening 6, Optimization (Command), SimSense Accelerator, Reaction Enhancer (R6)
Software:
System 6
Firewall 6
Armor 4
Attack 4
Biofeedback Filter 5 (Ergonomic)
Sniffer 5
ECCM 6
Analyze 5 (Ergonomic)
Browse 5
Command 6 (Ergonomic)
Edit 5
Encrypt 5 (Ergonomic)
Reality Filter 6
Scan 5

4m Tall Heavy Mecha [H 3, Ac 6/11, Sp 30, P 4, B 8, A 16, S 6] Cost 59,000 Free Overmod Slots 2
Walker, 2x Full Mechanical Arm, Rigger Adaption & Cocoon, Life Support [1], Response [5], Signal [5], Weapon Mount [External, Flexible, Remote]
+1 Nano Maintenance system R3 (22.5K)
+1 enhanced cocoon (4K)
+4 str both arms: (6k)
Hydraulic Jacks R6 (12k)
Arm Gyromount (6K)
Minigun w/ ammo bin /w APDS rounds /w underbarrel grenade launcher High explosive (10P)
Quad Missile system: 4 reload.

Integrated Nexus:
Sticks Pimped Nexus
Response: 8
Signal: 6
System: 8
Firewall: 9

Processor Limit: 15
Persona Limit: 5
Mods:
Simsense Accelerator
Reaction enhancer (R6)
Hardening 6
Armored Case 6
Customized Interface
Exploit 8 w/ Mute
Defuse 6
Decrypt 5
Stealth 8
Command 8
*Faraman: Agent/Pilot R8 /w Personamod, crash guard, Homeground(6), Profession(Mercenary) (5)

*Faraman kind borders the AI/Agent model. He's been with Sticks since Sticks was a private, and Sticks gets him modifications, and upgrades everychance he gets.
BlackHat
Reporting Cptn Robert's sheet here: Will post differences soon. (Or a whole new character if Roberts is killed before the current IC ends):

Captain Jon Roberts

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Concept: Ex-Military Captain, now Deep Watch mercenary
[400/400]
[ Spoiler ]
mister__joshua
Just to complete a full complement of consistent players, I'll take this slot smile.gif
Aria
Excellent, that's 4 existing players...anyone else out there want a stab at blowing up really nasty stuff with big guns / magic etc? It'll make Bug City look pale in comparison!
PoliteMan
Cool, I'm in.
PoliteMan
Guess I'll start off

Joey "Racoon"
Orc Street Sam/Wilderness Expert

Stats (Stats Adjusted for ware) 240 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities: -25 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Core Stats: 145 BP (still trying to figure out the rest)
[ Spoiler ]

Skills (Dice Pool): 148 BP+20 Karma
[ Spoiler ]

Weapons/Armor/Gear (I use Roman Numerals for Rating) 47 BP
[ Spoiler ]

Ware (3.2 cyber + 2.0 bio)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills/Languages
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
mister__joshua
I like it smile.gif

Aria, do you want us all to re-post our characters, barring any unfortunate death incidents between now and End of Days?
Aria
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Jun 3 2011, 10:47 AM) *
I like it smile.gif

Aria, do you want us all to re-post our characters, barring any unfortunate death incidents between now and End of Days?

Yes, for those of you who want to continue your existing characters (and it's entirely up to you!) then please edit your first post to include the info (saves hunting through the thread later nyahnyah.gif)

@ PoliteMan: I like the look of him too smile.gif although it does leave me with the potentially complicated issue of what happens to AIPs when you are inside a UV node! I've been sort of working on the assumption that the node reads your expectations of what will happen so in this case you would feel the full effects when near a wifi device (the group will be full of them!!!). Alternatively I could rule that it's a physical effect and you could get rid of it in node?!?
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 3 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Yes, for those of you who want to continue your existing characters (and it's entirely up to you!) then please edit your first post to include the info (saves hunting through the thread later nyahnyah.gif)

@ PoliteMan: I like the look of him too smile.gif although it does leave me with the potentially complicated issue of what happens to AIPs when you are inside a UV node! I've been sort of working on the assumption that the node reads your expectations of what will happen so in this case you would feel the full effects when near a wifi device (the group will be full of them!!!). Alternatively I could rule that it's a physical effect and you could get rid of it in node?!?

Hmm, the guy still has plenty of computer gear, it's just all wired. I don't think he'll have any problems with the node itself, since I'm assuming he'll be hardwired in. There's basically two issues regarding AIPS:
#1 Communication with the team. He'll probably enable the wireless functionality for brief periods to report but regular communication will be an issue and that's intentional.
#2 Teammates. Around wifi devices he suffers certain penalties and he'll have trouble focusing but it's mostly roleplaying. I kinda of imagine AIPS as a limited form of technomancy: your hear the signals but they just sound like white noise. It will mean he'll have a tendency to go off on his own, see #1 and that's also intentional, since this guy is more of a forward scout type.
I'll look into some wireless inhibiting stuff from Unwired though and see if I can scrounge up the nuyen for some.

Edit:
Yup, either a can of wireless reducing paint or a faraday cage are only about 200 nuyen.
Aria
Just be aware that when you turn up at Stillwater in the beginning you are entering wifi central smile.gif

Quite happy for it to be a roleplaying rather than rules thing
sabs
I think occasionally in game, you should roll an edge roll. TN = BP cost of AIPS/5
If he makes it, nothing bad happens, if he fails it, the intense signal buzzing around his real body causes interference with the UV. Weird things happen, he gets lagged out (-1 reaction, or maybe all his action intervals go up by 1.. so a free action becomes a standard action, standard complex, complex, full turn.)

Have it last 3 rounds - net hits?
Aria
You're a bad man Sabs...but I like it biggrin.gif Will have a think...
PoliteMan
QUOTE (sabs @ Jun 3 2011, 11:09 PM) *
I think occasionally in game, you should roll an edge roll. TN = BP cost of AIPS/5
If he makes it, nothing bad happens, if he fails it, the intense signal buzzing around his real body causes interference with the UV. Weird things happen, he gets lagged out (-1 reaction, or maybe all his action intervals go up by 1.. so a free action becomes a standard action, standard complex, complex, full turn.)

Have it last 3 rounds - net hits?

Yeah, kinda forgot about all that wireless in the downtown. Still, it's a pretty cool idea. I'm up for it. Might wanna alter the TN or include another dice pool like Will, no way I'm making TN 3 with 3 edge.
sabs
It's the GM in me.. even when I play.
Seth
I'm travelling a lot of moment. Will sort out character next week when I get back

Looking forward to it
Aria
While you are sorting through characters and finishing off the previous thread can you also spare a thought for how you will get to Fox Island so I begin some prep for that?

Another map coming up soon...
PoliteMan
Hmm, figure the roads watched and if it is, was, a sat launch facility they're probably really good at detecting anything airborne. Looks like it's swimming time.
Chance359
If there's still room, I'm interested. How about an Ork gang enforcer looking to add this to his brag sheet as he makes the transition from gang member to runner?
Aria
QUOTE (Chance359 @ Jun 7 2011, 07:38 AM) *
If there's still room, I'm interested. How about an Ork gang enforcer looking to add this to his brag sheet as he makes the transition from gang member to runner?

Sounds good to me...the milspec stuff might be a shock but you'll have seen it on the trid smile.gif

Hope to start this ic thread in 2-3 weeks as I round up the one we are on.
mister__joshua
Just shunting this back up towards the top. smile.gif
Aria
Link here to the start of the google maps for this game (work in progress!):

http://goo.gl/maps/3Xb0

(Will try and make this a proper link later if I can get it to work...)
Aria
The map, now updated slightly to include more target info is based on a watery insertion. The proposed route is about 60 miles but it is anyone's guess how long that will take in post apocalyptic Seattle ork.gif
PoliteMan
Hmm, looking at it I'd recommend marching to the Cromwell base just north of the Azzie area. From there we do a nice short swim (for you city boys) to, say, Tanglewood Island. Then we split in two. Me and another boy grab some mines and set up shop between the housing and control compound. We do it at the right time and most of them boys be asleep. A narrow strip of land with one road, we should be able to bottle most of them back up in housing. Everybody else can bust into the command center, do a smash and grab. then we call in the marines and wrap it up.
Aria
Love the optimism smile.gif
PoliteMan
Gotta start optimistic, otherwise how can things go downhill.
Aria
QUOTE (PoliteMan @ Jun 18 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Hmm, looking at it I'd recommend marching to the Cromwell base just north of the Azzie area. From there we do a nice short swim (for you city boys) to, say, Tanglewood Island. Then we split in two. Me and another boy grab some mines and set up shop between the housing and control compound. We do it at the right time and most of them boys be asleep. A narrow strip of land with one road, we should be able to bottle most of them back up in housing. Everybody else can bust into the command center, do a smash and grab. then we call in the marines and wrap it up.

I've updated the map with your suggestion. The channel is about 800m wide at the narrowest point which is a fair swim but not undoable I guess...no idea what the currents will be like though, and it'll be cold ork.gif
PoliteMan
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 21 2011, 04:18 AM) *
I've updated the map with your suggestion. The channel is about 800m wide at the narrowest point which is a fair swim but not undoable I guess...no idea what the currents will be like though, and it'll be cold ork.gif

Ah, it's good to get these city boys a little wet, *double checks swimming DP* Yep, all good.

Or I suppose someone could grab a inflatable raft and a couple collapsible paddles. Silly modern conveniences. Kinda leery of that though, seems like we'd be much easier to spot coming in on thermo and radar.
Aria
Well you could always get a mini sub but then need to consider sonar!
Digital Heroin
I'm working on polishing up the rough draft of `Tommy` Toirdhealbhach Mulryan, aka Clickjack. Amongst all the professional types, sometimes it pays to have a kid whose only profession is 'badass gamer.' Yup, pro-gamer, con artist, and brash assclown all are terms which could apply to this lovable elf bastard. He's also kind of somewhat famous... the nation just doesn't know he's one of those freaky technomancer types yet.
Aria
Thanks for this DH! To the others, I intend to round up the Conflict game imminently and it looks like you've avoided the worst of the fighting so should all survive. Please can you post your characters (with any tweaks you want to make) ... I will confirm final karma soon.

Seth has asked for a pause to sort RL stuff out so there's a slot for a Mage if anyone is interested?

Thanks

A
Seth
Seth has asked for a pause to sort RL stuff out so there's a slot for a Mage if anyone is interested?

Me me!

I have sorted out the RL stuff, so if there is still a space I would like to play. I'll carry on with Gash if thats practical. I have no idea how he will work out in the new rule system, but its fun keeping a character with history.
Aria
Great! We'll kick start this thread very soon now, I'm already writing the first IC post!
sabs
I'm travelling from now, till Tuesday Morning, so I won't have posting access.
Seth
Like Sabs I will have limited access until Monday: Role playing convention all weekend.

I haven't had a good read of this thread: are there bits that I need to understand?
Aria
QUOTE (Seth @ Jun 30 2011, 09:27 PM) *
I haven't had a good read of this thread: are there bits that I need to understand?

Just re read my first post...should have the pertinent info in it.

To everyone new (to my games): the Conflict game is taking a little longer to round up than anticipated (a couple more weeks...) if you are interested in a roleplay fix then you'd be welcome to take on the roles of some of the Deep Watch NPCs with the other PCs...they would have identical stats to the characters you've presented here (funny that smile.gif)

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions...

A
nicktheviking
Count me in...

Name: Rina Yoshida

Alias: オオカミの子 (Wolf Cub)

Background:
[ Spoiler ]

Qualities:
[ Spoiler ]

Stats:
[ Spoiler ]

Active Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Language Skills:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Cyber/Bioware:
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]
Aria
Welcome on board! If you would like to jump into the Emerging Conflict IC as one of the Deep Watch NPCs (with the same stats as above and in the APC with Cptn Roberts et al.) that would be absolutely fine! Otherwise I intend to get some IC stuff for this thread up very shortly!
Aria
Just as proof that I haven't forgotten about this thread: here's the beginning IC post

<<Here>>

There's probably more OoC discussions to be had here and my current players still need to post up their sheets <<HINT>> but any questions or comments lemme know and we'll get this one going!
sabs
I totally posted my sheet.

Though I need to spend me some karma smile.gif soon as I figure out how much.
Oh and if we're going to live.
Seth
Are you ok with me just continuing with Gash, or do I need to some work on him?
Aria
QUOTE (sabs @ Jul 11 2011, 08:39 PM) *
I totally posted my sheet.

Oops...I see there are several sheets up now...sorry <<sheepish grin>>

@Seth: just make sure he complies with the first post (should do...!)
nicktheviking
I just realized that I forgot to add English to my language skills.

Does the simulator translate in real-time, or should I communicate through pantomime and possibly with another character w/ one of my languages?
Aria
QUOTE (nicktheviking @ Jul 12 2011, 06:50 PM) *
I just realized that I forgot to add English to my language skills.

Does the simulator translate in real-time, or should I communicate through pantomime and possibly with another character w/ one of my languages?

The simulator is more than capable of 'switching' your native tongue to English while inside...outside you're on your own smile.gif
sabs
I was thinking that for right now, Sticks is on an Evo Orderly, as opposed to enclosed in a horseman. Is that alright? (it's not like hes' walking wink.gif)
Seth
Sticks is on an Evo Orderly

I like the Evo Orderly. Its an accepted part of society: loads of Old Age Pensioners use them. They come with first aid kits and 2 arms that can hold so may useful things: colostomy pouches, katanas, machine pistols, grenades...
Aria
QUOTE (sabs @ Jul 12 2011, 09:47 PM) *
I was thinking that for right now, Sticks is on an Evo Orderly, as opposed to enclosed in a horseman. Is that alright? (it's not like hes' walking wink.gif)

Of course it is...and if you feel the need to get up and run the simulator can do that for you too!

I have visions of Sticks at home slotting marathon runner sims anyway smile.gif
Seth
[3.1Mps of jokes about disabled athletes removed by sysadmin for reasons of political correctness]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012